Thread: William Stout interview on Newsarama about the MOTUC movie figures

William Stout interview on Newsarama about the MOTUC movie figures

Interesting article about the Super7 movie figures!
    Click here to read
    Last edited by danielsan52; May 13, 2019 at 10:01pm.
    Danielsan52

HELP! The Devil's in my Car!!
    The B-52's

That was a great little read! Thanks for sharing.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Heroic Warrior
    Great read!! I really want a MAA figure based on that Stout concept art! Much better than how it turned out in the movie!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Since his art was omitted from the Art of MOTU book, perhaps he could have a book published devoted solely to that? I'd buy it!

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Good article. Thanks for sharing. Makes me want to see more his designs in MOTUC. We need Lubic!

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Fist View Post
    Since his art was omitted from the Art of MOTU book, perhaps he could have a book published devoted solely to that? I'd buy it!
    Ditto.

That was a good read, thanks for sharing!

Makes sense now why it took so long to get these figures made, thanks for the article!

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    That was a good read, I really hope he gets a book out with the MOTU concept art in it.
    MOTUC WISHLIST - Karg | Lady Slther | Kothos | Staghorn | Sorceress of Serpos Teela | Hunga the Harpy | Kittrina | Dylamug | Hawke | Angast | Zilora | Artilla | Quakke | Robo-Woman | Great Black Wizard | Enchantress | Red Beast | Delora | DC He-Man | DC Skeletor | Lodar | Fang-Or | Mini Comics Tri-Klops | Filmation Jitsu, Frosta & Kobra Khan | Hans Hammer Holder | Granita |

I dont know... Stout is the guy responsible for randomly redesigning the characters millions of kids used to love from their toys and the filmation cartoon. The movie was a major fail and this is the first reason why. He-Man looks like, well, "Dolph", Skeletor wears a laughable rubber mask, Man-At-Arms and Teela are totally random plus a bunch of freaks never seen or heard before.

Quote Originally Posted by ToyCulture View Post
    I dont know... Stout is the guy responsible for randomly redesigning the characters millions of kids used to love from their toys and the filmation cartoon. The movie was a major fail and this is the first reason why. He-Man looks like, well, "Dolph", Skeletor wears a laughable rubber mask, Man-At-Arms and Teela are totally random plus a bunch of freaks never seen or heard before.
    Have to agree, i saw the movie as a kid and i did not like it, and I'm a real He-Man fan. Now as an adult I can't bring myself to watch it again.

The upcoming movie figures seems very nice though, regardless from a failed movie, and I'm happy for those who wanted it.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    Last edited by motogp_fanatic; May 24, 2019 at 08:40am.
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ToyCulture View Post
    I guess it's how you saw it as a child, to me they all looked instantly recognisable and in my mind I kinda knew Skeletor wasn't going to be a blue guy with a yellow skull, so the Skeletor on the screen looking more "adult" I guess, worked for me as a 7/8 year old. Plus he was pretty scary - as were the rest of the villains.

He-Man, MAA and Teela all looked great too and fitted in my mind what they would look like in the real world. I did miss Orko and Battlecat and maybe Trapjaw though, but it was no biggie, I was just waiting for them to show up in the sequel....
    MOTUC WISHLIST - Karg | Lady Slther | Kothos | Staghorn | Sorceress of Serpos Teela | Hunga the Harpy | Kittrina | Dylamug | Hawke | Angast | Zilora | Artilla | Quakke | Robo-Woman | Great Black Wizard | Enchantress | Red Beast | Delora | DC He-Man | DC Skeletor | Lodar | Fang-Or | Mini Comics Tri-Klops | Filmation Jitsu, Frosta & Kobra Khan | Hans Hammer Holder | Granita |

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    I have nothing but respect for Mr. Stout's artistic skills, but his remark that the movie, "did okay the first week...then better the second week...and even better the third week" is definitely inaccurate:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies...heuniverse.htm
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Heroic Warrior
    It's funny how the Marvel comic kept the cartoon designs for most of the characters while adapting the movie. (But did use a color adjusted version of Stout's Skeletor later as a time traveling Skeletor. And Marvel and the comic strips used a halfway version of Beast Man.)

I always wanted to see a season of Filmation He-Man where they phase in Stout's costumes. Maybe that can be James Eatok's next project: a lost episode that's a prequel to the live action movie where all the characters change up their wardrobe.

Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    I guess it's how you saw it as a child, to me they all looked instantly recognisable and in my mind I kinda knew Skeletor wasn't going to be a blue guy with a yellow skull, so the Skeletor on the screen looking more "adult" I guess, worked for me as a 7/8 year old. Plus he was pretty scary - as were the rest of the villains.

He-Man, MAA and Teela all looked great too and fitted in my mind what they would look like in the real world. I did miss Orko and Battlecat and maybe Trapjaw though, but it was no biggie, I was just waiting for them to show up in the sequel....
    I loved the movie as a kid. To me, these were the "real" designs of how the characters were supposed to look, and the cartoons were just a simplification.

Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    Have to agree, i saw the movie as a kid and i did not like it, and I'm a real He-Man fan. Now as an adult I can't bring myself to watch it again.

The upcoming movie figures seems very nice though, regardless from a failed movie, and I'm happy for those who wanted it.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    Yup, the desecration of the classic toy, comic, and cartoon designs still rankles 32 years later. That movie ruined MOTU for millions of kids, myself included. I remember coming out of the theatre shellshocked as to how badly the property had been butchered. William Stout deserves a lot of scorn for pushing his selfish re-interpretation of iconic characters. By what I've read, Mattel was pushing for a look far more in line with what they had established, but for some reason decided to back off.

Huge mistake. I'm looking to the new movie to undo the serious damage the original film caused that still lingers today.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    I have nothing but respect for Mr. Stout's artistic skills, but his remark that the movie, "did okay the first week...then better the second week...and even better the third week" is definitely inaccurate:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies...heuniverse.htm
    For sure it dropped off. But wow it's weird how I see people posting about hating it when they went to see it. I remember the theatre being PACKED and when He-Man finally lifted his sword up to yell "I HAVE THE POWER" every kid jumped up cheering!!! The theatre was roaring with happy kids!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Yup, the desecration of the classic toy, comic, and cartoon designs still rankles 32 years later. That movie ruined MOTU for millions of kids, myself included. I remember coming out of the theatre shellshocked as to how badly the property had been butchered. William Stout deserves a lot of scorn for pushing his selfish re-interpretation of iconic characters. By what I've read, Mattel was pushing for a look far more in line with what they had established, but for some reason decided to back off.

Huge mistake. I'm looking to the new movie to undo the serious damage the original film caused that still lingers today.
    In his defense, I feel like most people in his profession do what he did: change for (what seems like) the sake of change. I think he came up with some really cool designs, and I don't believe, without an order from Mattel, that someone else would have done anything more faithful unless they were a true MOTU die-hard like us (and how many adults working in movies were MOTU die-hards in the mid-80s?).

There's something about the film industry that seems to require designs/costumes be radically different from the source material. I mean, for X-Men/Wolverine fans, look how many times Wolverine has appeared on film and none of the looks involved anything close to either of his most iconic looks in the comics. It's just the nature of the beast, unfortunately.

Now, with that said, I agree with you in looking forward to the new movie and it bringing something hopefully-close to the designs we love. I believe that if the writing is there, even the most ridiculous look can work (Shazam! comes to mind...).

Heroic Warrior
    I saw it first on TV around 1990 , it blew my mind :

Dark intro , so cool
    When HM turns around to the camera for the first time , wow
    I loved the new characters : Karg , Gwildor.......instead of rehashed characters weve seen many times before
    Langella as Skeletor
    Foster as EL......the chemistry between her and Skeletor , then again Skelly was prolly just manipulating her , not interested in her in that way
    Viscious BM , the school scene spooked me a bit back then , mostly due to BM who looked like the devils pet or something , ha ha
    A vulnerable HM , this is a hero that could actually die , he is not impurvious to pain
    HM vs Blade , that was a cool scene
    HM flying
    Skeletor almost achieves his dream but like other dictators he bit over more than he could chew
    Amazing soundtrack , oozing of atmosphere !
    Amazing art by Norem on the MotU mag poster , imo even better than the actual movie poster , wow !

"Maybe that can be James Eatok's next project: a lost episode that's a prequel to the live action movie where all the characters change up their

wardrobe"

Would love to see LP HM and LL Skeletor
    Last edited by Wonder Bread He-Man; May 31, 2019 at 09:55am.
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !