Page 64 of 67 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 1657

Thread: Netflix's Masters of the Universe Film - Official Discussion

J-14 Teen Celebrity Magazine is keeping the hope alive. lol In the latest issue (March 2021) there's a blurb about Noah/MOTU in the Hot Stars of 2021 section. It says:

"NOAH CENTINEO: Noah is heading into the world of superheroes, playing two different heroes next year! He'll star as He-Man in Masters of the Universe and Atom Smasher in Black Adam!"

j14march2021.jpg
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    Last I heard (at the last in-person Power-Con), the rewritten script came back and Mattel was not happy with it. I think that's where it died.
    I wasn't at that Power Con but it jibes with what I know.

The screenplays/treatments that came back in late 2018/ early 2019 were in need of a critical rewrite. Neither the studio nor Mattel were happy with it. I will not repeat the points that were relayed to me, but it was more Ready Player One/1987 Cannon Films He-Man than what anyone was expecting. Apparently all of the major points that stuck in Mattel's craw were addressed with the revised treatment that came back Fall 2019, and Mattel gave their blessing. The only big development after that was the announcement that it had moved to Netflix.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

UNO joins other Mattel Films projects in development including movies based on American Girl®, Barbie®, Barney®, Hot Wheels®, Magic 8 Ball®, Major Matt Mason®, Masters of the Universe®, Thomas & Friends®, View Master® and Wishbone™.
    https://corporate.mattel.com/news/ma...motion-picture
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Thanks Tallstar. I asked Daniel Richtman last week when we can expect that promised update and he said he’d get some info soon. We'll see. When the MOTU movie comes out in 2057, someone really should write a book chronicling its birth, life and death.
    Last edited by Krueger; February 4, 2021 at 08:51pm.

I just hope that this movie comes out when I can still physically and mentally get excited for it!

Either that, or they play it at the old-folks home before my bedtime...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Master of New Adventures!
    Let's not forget resurrection...

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Thanks Tallstar. I asked Daniel Richtman last week when we can expect that promised update and he said he’d get some info soon. We'll see. When the MOTU movie comes out in 2057, someone really should write a book chronicling its birth, life and death.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Tallstar already started one seven years ago: 10 Years Of Waiting: A Look Back

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    Tallstar already started one seven years ago: 10 Years Of Waiting: A Look Back
    Just keep our fingers crossed the years of waiting won't keep piling up until four score and seven years later...
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    Just keep our fingers crossed the years of waiting won't keep piling up until four score and seven years later...
    I've been hearing news about this movie since I was a kid in the early 2000s. It had better deliver if it ever does get made

I think I still have a Toy Fair magazine from 2004 or so that talks in pretty big detail about how John Woo is set to take He-Man to the big screen. Almost 15 years later and still no movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Creature22 View Post
    I think I still have a Toy Fair magazine from 2004 or so that talks in pretty big detail about how John Woo is set to take He-Man to the big screen. Almost 15 years later and still no movie.
    Holy crap, I had completely forgotten about that!
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; February 9, 2021 at 01:48pm.
    Odd Man Out

I still have that one.

Ah, the blissful pre-"Transformers" days, when you could hear that Hollywood was making a movie out of your favorite toy property and you'd get excited instead of horrified.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    Ah, the blissful pre-"Transformers" days, when you could hear that Hollywood was making a movie out of your favorite toy property and you'd get excited instead of horrified.
    MOTU is a tricky one.

It reminds me of the scene in Avengers Infinity War when Dr. Strange sees over 14 million scenarios. There are many ways to approach and do this movie, but only a few ways will actually work. IMO, it can't be too dark, it can't be too light, it HAS to be epic in scope, the FX have to be perfect, every single character needs to look larger than life, and the list just goes on. It would be like putting lightning in a bottle, and winning 100 million dollars in the same day.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; February 9, 2021 at 03:28pm.
    Odd Man Out

Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    MOTU is a tricky one.

It reminds me of the scene in Avengers Infinity War when Dr. Strange sees over 14 million scenarios. There are many ways to approach and do this movie, but only a few ways will actually work. IMO, it can't be too dark, it can't be too light, it HAS to be epic in scope, the FX have to be perfect, every single character needs to look larger than life, and the list just goes on. It would be like putting lightning in a bottle, and winning 100 million dollars in the same day.
    Exactly! This franchise has been in development for so long, and has so many interpretations, what would people accept? Would you consider the cartoon cannon, mini-comics, comic strip, other media cannon? The original movie disregarded a lot of MOTU history and they made up their own story.

What 1 person finds acceptable, someone else would find completely boring. I know there was a lot of concern when an image leaked with Teela in a "power suit", and various other scripts with Skeletor piloting some sort of spacecraft.

I have my own ideas about how they should make it, and they're probably completely different from everyone else. If you make it so different from anything else, you run the risk of making something so unrecognizable from any source material, you'll alienate your audience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

It's certainly a tough nut to crack. I feel like the Filmation show's existence/prevalence kind of messes up the whole deal by creating a tonal inconsistency for the entire brand. And don't get me wrong, I love the Filmation show, but I feel like regardless of subject matter, a live-action movie is missing the point if it doesn't take advantage of things you can't do in a purely children-based medium like cartoons. The cartoon is always going to be the thing most of the common rabble associates with MOTU, but I feel like a film has a responsibility to be greater than that and establish once and for all that you CAN take this material mostly-seriously. It's not that "MOTU as a whole is Silly", the way some people dismiss it as, it's that the cartoon was silly because it was for little kids. A movie, though, can and should be For Everyone. And more than anything, it should be for the people in their 30s and 40s who grew up alongside this franchise and know its potential.

I feel like the problem becomes, you have all this stuff from the mini-comics and the original painted toy artwork and even the more recent DC comics that play the material "straight", with an appropriately epic tone and scale, BUT, the cartoon's overwhelming dominance in people's minds makes them think that a MOTU movie by default should be goofy. Like, I know a lot of the pitched and abandoned movie scripts have been more serious in tone, and what I imagine keeps happening to stall it out is some suit who knows nothing of the brand beyond the cartoon show steps in and says "I don't know, man... shouldn't it be slapstick? Shouldn't it be silly? Needs More Orko." And so on. I know that ultimately "money" is the reason the project keeps getting abandoned - you can't make a MOTU movie for cheap, and it's such a niche property that no studio feels like it's worth the risk involved - but I feel like Tone is the other big problem. They don't want to spend a ton of money on a "silly kids' movie" with a niche audience, BUT because of the cartoon show they also feel like they can't just try and make a straight-ahead action/fantasy film which would justify the exorbitant expense. It's a Catch-22.

Were it me, I'd definitely include elements from the cartoon but as far as tone and execution goes, I'd definitely lean into the Lord of the Rings vibe. That, to me, is what MOTU is. It's LotR-style Epic Fantasy with some sprinkles of Star Wars on top. You don't have to go over-the-top with how serious it is, but if you just take the elements that are there and play them straight while still having "humor" in places where it's organic and appropriate, you'd have a terrific film.

I mean, you could even have Orko. I mean LotR was a "serious" movie trilogy and I don't think anyone would argue, but the Hobbits were essentially the comic relief and it didn't hurt anything. Those movies felt very balanced. I don't see how or why a MOTU movie would need to be much different, aside from the fact that it has some sci-fi type of stuff and it's not all medieval swords and armor like LotR. But again, that stuff shouldn't affect the overall tone.

I don't know. I'm both excited about the possibility of what we COULD get from a live-action MOTU movie, but also terrified of what Hollywood thinks the movie "should" be. And ultimately, it's their money, we get no say at all in what they decide to give us. The fact that it got sent to Netflix even before the pandemic happened kind of illustrates the fact that they don't see any money in it, which is kind of a red flag in itself.

I've always said that this (and the Metal Gear Solid movie that I'm equally terrified of) is one of those mythical "I'll believe it exists when I'm actually watching it" kind of things. I just hope it's something fans can be proud of and not a big joke at the expense of the franchise.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Widget
    It's not that "MOTU as a whole is Silly", the way some people dismiss it as, it's that the cartoon was silly because it was for little kids. A movie, though, can and should be For Everyone. And more than anything, it should be for the people in their 30s and 40s who grew up alongside this franchise and know its potential.
    I agree with you on this one. I was picky with my interests as a kid, but my brother and I both loved MOTU because it truly offered something for everyone. I think that's part of the reason it took off and did so well in the 80s. There are so many characters and so much variety that most people have their own unique favorites lined up, and no list is exactly the same. The only thing from my own childhood that I can compare it to is Pokémon, but MOTU goes a step further because it has various interpretations and its tone and story can vary as a result.

I think the movie would work best as a blend of the kids cartoon and the original mini comics or more "straight" stories; give us that serious Conan vibe with the desert planet and barbaric battles and warriors, but don't be afraid to hold back the sarcasm and humor where it can be applied. I think that's something that made Marvel succeed whereas DC gets laughed at and mocked because it's so dark and serious that it becomes a joke in and of itself. There's such a thing as taking yourself too seriously.

At the end of the day, it's a comic book movie, but the characters are also human- heck, He-Man is pretty sarcastic in some of those older mini comics and keeping that lighthearted humor and fun is where a lot of the heart lies. Will definitely agree that it's a tough nut to crack, and I can't say I'm confident that they'll be able to do it, but we will see.

I know it's a minority opinion but I much prefer the DC movies and cannot stand the Marvel ones (barring a few early-series exceptions). I don't like characters cracking wise and being whimsical when it's about to literally be the Apocalypse, call it a personal quirk.

I'm a big fan of "verisimilitude", and taking whatever story being presented as seriously as the plot demands. If a story and its stakes are presented as serious, then I prefer it not be made the subject of fun "just because". "Look at these silly characters and their goofy costumes, of COURSE we need to wink at the audience because it's all a big joke." I don't like that kind of thing. Like, at all.

BUT, I agree with you in general. There's plenty of places to have "humor" or occasionally lighten the mood without treating the movie literally like a cartoon. Circumstances, dialog, and so on.

Like, "Young Guns" is decidedly not a comedy. However, there are quite a few moments within this Very Serious Movie that are nonetheless very, very funny. You absolutely can do it all, it just takes a delicate hand.

I've said this before, but the Filmation MOTU has become something of a sacred cow. Either you can't criticize it, or if you don't embrace every single aspect of it, you're accused of being "dismissive" of it. If you choose to ignore it because there's just too much baggage to unpack, then half of fandom accuses you of heresy and tries to boycott your product.

Filmation is just one aspect of the mythos. I loved it as a kid, and as an adult I appreciate its wholesome, pro-social message that is devoid of the type of heavy-handed, crazy identity politic Tumblr manifestos disguised as a cartoon for kids that we have today. You can show Filmation MOTU/POP to any age group and it never veers into inappropriate material, and teaches a great moral lesson with each episode. When I was a kid, there were several kids in my circle of peers that had little to no upbringing at home, so the only lesson in morals they received came from cartoons.

So I appreciate it as an adult for what it meant to me as a kid, just like the '87 movie. In my opinion, the 2002 reboot was infinitely better in almost every way, sans animation style and lack of John Erwin and Alan Oppenheimer, and I think story-wise (along with the themes explored in the MVC comics) it's a more fertile field to plant in.

I just think a lot of projects related to MOTU have been derailed or killed because the ghost of Filmation haunts the franchise. Even today, Mattel/Sony didn't feel that they could move ahead with a reboot and a modern toy line without creating a separate cartoon and separate toyline to appease the legacy fans.

On paper it's a good strategy for franchises that are so huge that the appeal warrants it, but for something like MOTU, having two toylines (plus all the licensed stuff), two cartoons on the same streaming service (hot on the heels of Princesses of Power, and supposedly preceding a live action film on the same service), and a frustrated fanbase that has been waiting decades for this movie that was definitely coming out next month (lol jk), and this toyline that would definitely be everywhere in total abundance last month (lol jk) and it all adds up to "Hey, slow it down there, Mattel. Don't you think you've had enough to drink? Finish your beer before you try to down that entire gallon of Everclear. No, you're not OK to drive, nor could you 'whup Mike Tyson.' Let's call you a cab."
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Wow, great post. Pretty much in total agreement with all of that.

Widget
    Agreed. Very well put.

I'm one of the rare cases that didn't grow up on Filmation since I didn't grow up in the 80s, and had the privilege to "pick and choose" when it came to MOTU. I'm willing to see them forego some elements that I like if it benefits the inclusion of others, but ultimately hope that they can simply balance it all out in a way that can satisfy everyone.

It definitely feels like Mattel is prepping for something big, but as of these last couple of months we've had no real trailers or teases for any of the upcoming shows or movie. I kind of think they're shooting themselves in the foot by not having a scheduled rollout with this stuff. It seems to be totally random. I always saw MOTU as having a ton of untapped potential, but the reboots never seemed to take off like the original line did. I barely remember the 2000x series and was the primary demographic it was targeted towards. People older than me might disagree, but I don't believe that marketing was there- at least not for kids. The fact that it was only on cable and at random times didn't make it any easier. The only reason I remember it existing was because McDonald's had a promotion, and I had no idea what the tribal King Kong figure that came with my Happy Meal was supposed to be.

I guess right now I would expect some sort of toy commercials or advertisements to push the Origins line while they wait for the latest on the cartoons and film, but nope. And if the movie takes a turn like the last film did and brings He-Man to New York or something while ignoring the potential roster of characters and planets, they've really killed their chances at making a splash with kids.
    Last edited by Creature22; February 9, 2021 at 05:45pm.

I agree, the lack of commercials for the toys is a huge problem. I mean part of the push for the original toy line was the amazing and unforgettable TV commercials. Every day, I run into people who run in "nerd circles" who have no idea that the "Origins" line even exists, and it's been out for a while now. One buddy of mine was completely oblivious until like three days ago and now he's scrambling to catch up, but he was pretty much "out" of the MOTU collecting fandom entirely and had never even heard about this line, or ANY of the recent activity with the brand.

I don't understand why Mattel seems to be perfectly content in keeping this stuff super-quiet. I constantly run into people who swear MOTU isn't worth anything because "they haven't even done anything with it in 30 years." No idea 200X existed, no idea Classics was a thing, no idea that we're drowning in MOTU content from every direction right now. Out of sight out of mind.

That's a real shame, and in my opinion a big problem. There should be a ton more noise about this brand, considering everything going on with it.

Heroic Warrior Granamyr's Helmet's Avatar
    I think they just need the MOTU version of the Mandalorian (whether an actual film or series)...something that a 5 year old could watch as their introduction to the franchise, or 50 years old and was convinced the original era was the best, and yet somehow both experience a similar level of magic seeing it.

Tough nut to crack indeed, but if Star Wars could finally figure it out in the modern era, I feel like MOTU could as well.

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Granamyr's Helmet View Post
    I think they just need the MOTU version of the Mandalorian (whether an actual film or series)...something that a 5 year old could watch as their introduction to the franchise, or 50 years old and was convinced the original era was the best, and yet somehow both experience a similar level of magic seeing it.

Tough nut to crack indeed, but if Star Wars could finally figure it out in the modern era, I feel like MOTU could as well.
    This. All of this. And use ILM/Lucasfilm's tech.
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Creator of Kaiju Kaos.

For me a big issue has been this insistence on making it based on Earth or connected to it somehow. Adam or Skeletor or anyone else other than Marlena don't need to be earthlings. Audiences will suspend their disbelief if it all happens on an unknown, make-believe planet. You just have to do it the right way. I'm sure a failure like Warcraft scared studio execs, but its setting wasn't the problem. The most important thing, other than respecting the IP, is the writing, not the stars or the cool action sequences or things to remind us of our own world or technology.

Pick a direction and commit to it. There are lots of sources to take from (mini-comics, toys, Golden Books, Filmation, DC Comics, etc.), but the heart of it is He-Man saving Eternia from Skeletor. That's a tale as old as time, and it's been successful over and over again. This film doesn't have to reinvent the wheel. Just give it a chance. And please don't have a portal that connects Earth to Eternia or a suit for Teela that looks like Iron Man or War Machine from the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

I know it's a minority opinion but I much prefer the DC movies and cannot stand the Marvel ones (barring a few early-series exceptions).
    This is something I wholeheartedly agree with!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    For me a big issue has been this insistence on making it based on Earth or connected to it somehow. Adam or Skeletor or anyone else other than Marlena don't need to be earthlings. Audiences will suspend their disbelief if it all happens on an unknown, make-believe planet. You just have to do it the right way. I'm sure a failure like Warcraft scared studio execs, but its setting wasn't the problem. The most important thing, other than respecting the IP, is the writing, not the stars or the cool action sequences or things to remind us of our own world or technology.

Pick a direction and commit to it. There are lots of sources to take from (mini-comics, toys, Golden Books, Filmation, DC Comics, etc.), but the heart of it is He-Man saving Eternia from Skeletor. That's a tale as old as time, and it's been successful over and over again. This film doesn't have to reinvent the wheel. Just give it a chance. And please don't have a portal that connects Earth to Eternia or a suit for Teela that looks like Iron Man or War Machine from the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

THIS. Spot on.

Don't make the mistake of trying to be all things to all fans. You have a wealth of source material you can draw from. Don't feel chained to the source material, nor should you ignore key pieces that everyone will be expecting.

For example, Teela is either the clone or daughter of the Sorceress, depending on canon. Regardless, there's a relationship there that fans of all canons expect. Most canons indicate Teela will become the new Sorceress when the current one dies or retires. Those are two pillars you can use to frame your story. You have a beginning and an end point; the middle belongs to you.

Don't reinvent the wheel and make Teela and Sorceress the same age and rivals for He-Man's love, or make Teela and Sorceress themselves a couple, or whatever. That's what kills projects like this: "creative" or "bold" or "radical" reinterpretation.