Page 91 of 91 FirstFirst ... 4181899091
Results 2,251 to 2,268 of 2268

Thread: Netflix's Masters of the Universe Film - Official Discussion

Kyle Allen briefly talks about the MOTU movie.

6:27

Heroic Warrior
    I recently watched The Lost City because of the involvement of the Nee brothers. I must say, I think that as long as the executives don't interfere with the MotU live action film, it is in good hands.

I'm sure anything could still happen to steer the project in a bad direction but at the very least, The Lost City shows that the Nee brothers are fully capable of delivering a four quadrant movie that entertains a broad portion of the market, which is important. I know that may rub some fans the wrong way but hear me out.

This live action film is going to be a way for MotU to reach the mainstream masses in a way that any of the latest animation projects simply cannot. Revelation and HMaMotU on Netflix are limited by the nature of being animated projects for very specific audiences.

The point of this film, I believe, is to do for MotU what Michael Bay's Transformers movie started in 2007. Make a blockbuster, highly visible, media expression for the brand of MotU. It will draw in big money (hopefully) to fill Mattel's coffers for MotU budget. It will expose younger audience members to MotU, especially those who don't have access to Netflix or those who aren't into cartoons. It could possibly set up a movie franchise to continue bringing in revenue for MotU's overall brand budget. Create numerous merchandising opportunities, which add to box office profits.

Ultimately, it can help MotU live another 40 years, healthfully hopefully.

Does MotU need this live action film to be successful? No but it would certainly be a big help to the brand.

Now, I already can feel hackles rising at the mention of Bay's Transformers movies but it's not about liking them, it's about recognizing that those movies were commercially successful products that helped to elevate the Transformers brand. It funded not only toylines but also went to help greenlight numerous animated projects since 2007.

If we are fans of MotU, I think it would be in our best interest to be open to welcoming the success of this film, as well as any other MotU project, for the simple reason that the entire brand benefits from the successes of individual projects, whether we like those projects or not.

Quote Originally Posted by TorakLoP View Post

Does MotU need this live action film to be successful?
    Last time live action movie flopped, the toyline ended...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Last time live action movie flopped, the toyline ended...
    Very true! However, MotU was already on the way out at that point. MotU '87's poor commercial performance and critical reception didn't help, though. That's for sure.

Properties need live action content to become really successful.
    Animation(series) is great but as TorakLoP says it's just for a very specific audience ,it doesnt create the hype or exposure that a live action stuff does.
    if you want to be really massive ,you need a live action movie, it's the ultimate media .

So far motu was tested just with animation and it was good , it served to put motu on the radar again ,that was its goal but you need live action content to become a phenomeno.

Motu has never gotten a live action treanment in the modern era of entertainment (internet-social network-cgi -supeheros time) and it could be the most important project ever in terms of ambitions and exposure for motu.
    Last edited by heavy-eternium; June 20, 2022 at 07:22pm.

Another worry of mine is that Mattel Films doesn't have the experience of seeking out the right talent to bring MOTU to both modern audiences and long-time fans.

The MCU pulled this phenomenon off almost flawlessly... they had to make changes to the source material of course, but they respected the characters, their worlds and histories. Marvel Studios has a knack for finding directors, actors, writers, and musicians who bring their personal vision to each project while understanding what makes each so special.

This makes new and old fans happy.

Can this happen with MOTU?
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post

My opinion with a live action film, heck with any MOTU media, less is more. The less they try to explain things or get into rich detail about MOTU lore, the better chance they'll have pleasing the most fans. Leave a lot of it up to interpretation, since we all have our own.

I think a simple action movie would be best. You're not writing anything off as much just not talking about it or even showing it. All the rich history and story could easily still be there.

We're fans. If you put a good looking cast of MOTU characters on the screen, we're going to go see it.
    “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Another worry of mine is that Mattel Films doesn't have the experience of seeking out the right talent to bring MOTU to both modern audiences and long-time fans.

The MCU pulled this phenomenon off almost flawlessly... they had to make changes to the source material of course, but they respected the characters, their worlds and histories. Marvel Studios has a knack for finding directors, actors, writers, and musicians who bring their personal vision to each project while understanding what makes each so special.

I have similar concerns to be sure but I'm confident that, at least from what their movie, The Lost City, demonstrated, the Nee brothers have the capability to execute a movie that should appeal to the global market. I believe that to be of fundamental importance to the success of the MotU film.

The success of the MCU in the area of not generally offending the broad sensibilities, not that you can ever please every fan, of Marvel fandom, wasn't without miss steps and it took years of concentrated and deliberate effort of multiple creative and executive members to collaborate and co-operate on a shared goal and vision. I hope that Mattel is doing something similar in trying their best to merge the necessities of business management with the necessities of creative integrity. If they can balance those two sides, then we should have a MotU film that can both be a commercial and a critical success.

I believe it can happen with MotU with the right people in place. It requires Mattel to hire the people they truly believe can curate the MotU brand on the mainstream market for a new audience without alienating the existing fanbase.

It's important that each iteration of MotU, including this film, immediately and unambiguously establishes to the audience that it is entirely its own continuity. It's up to the film makers to set expectations to work to their advantage. Prepare the audience to be as receptive as possible to the story that will be presented to them.

One issue with Revelation is that the aesthetics are drawn so closely to the Filmation era that subliminally, a significant portion of the audience will make connections to Filmation despite what is overtly and explicitly shown in Revelation at times.

I'm not saying to deviate to the point where the film's costume/character and set designs are unrecognizable as being MotU but at the same time there shouldn't be slavish fidelity to any existing iteration of MotU.

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    My opinion with a live action film, heck with any MOTU media, less is more. The less they try to explain things or get into rich detail about MOTU lore, the better chance they'll have pleasing the most fans. Leave a lot of it up to interpretation, since we all have our own.

I think a simple action movie would be best. You're not writing anything off as much just not talking about it or even showing it. All the rich history and story could easily still be there.

We're fans. If you put a good looking cast of MOTU characters on the screen, we're going to go see it.
    Totally agreed. One area that would be a detriment to a MotU film is excessive exposition. Much of the lore and world building can be illustrated with succinct dialogue and scene composition choices.

MotU is at its core, an action-adventure brand. Its origins are in the pulp fantasy and sci-fi genres with classic progenitors like Buck Rogers, John Carter of Mars, Conan, and Flash Gordon.

MotU doesn't reinvent the wheel. It doesn't need to go into too much explanation of concepts like Eternia being a world in the aftermath of the "Great Wars" in distant history. Things like that can be shown very easily and without much screen time to get the point across.

I think the film must do the following at the very least:

1. Communicate the premise along with the stakes with clarity and conciseness at the beginning of the film in 5 minutes or less. Ideally, it shouldn't take 5 minutes to do this.

2. Utilize compelling characters, both protagonists and antagonists, whose motivations are unique to each character. No redundancy. Each character should serve a clear narrative role. Don't be afraid to use classic archetypes. MotU, when it is successful, is a textbook example of proper use of archetypes to appeal to the sensibilities of the audience.

3. Hire the best composer for the soundtrack. Bear McCreary, for example, did a bang up job on Revelation's score. Avoid using contemporary music at all costs.

4. Do not involve Earth except for a possible reference to Queen Marlena's origin. Even then, the live action film doesn't have to have Queen Marlena as an Earth native. Either way, the live action film should be strictly set in Eternia and only involve Eternia. If there is a sequel or movies beyond, then take a look at other settings.

5. Keep the plot tight. Do not throw everything except the kitchen sink in. MotU can have plenty of subtext to explore but in a film with a time constraint of 2 hours or less, presumably, the plot should be uncomplicated. This doesn't mean that there can't be nuance but nuance doesn't result from inundation of plot points. The KISS principle is extremely important for making a MotU film work well.

6. Make the film an ensemble piece. Adam and He-Man vs. Skeletor should always the central tension but that doesn't mean it's the only point of interest in a good MotU story. Everyone serves a role as far as the main cast of characters, good guys and bad guys alike.

7. Don't forget to have FUN! The film makers shouldn't take themselves too seriously. However, they can still take MotU seriously and treat it with respect, recognizing that it is worthy of honest effort in creating a film from its rich history as a brand that is still going strong after 4 decades.

Quote Originally Posted by TorakLoP View Post

6. Make the film an ensemble piece. Adam and He-Man vs. Skeletor should always the central tension but that doesn't mean it's the only point of interest in a good MotU story. Everyone serves a role as far as the main cast of characters, good guys and bad guys alike.
    Like they're not going to shove in tons of characters for the sake of toys. Probably have He-Man switch costumes once or twice.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Like they're not going to shove in tons of characters for the sake of toys. Probably have He-Man switch costumes once or twice.
    Oh, I'm not advocating keeping the character appearances low. I'm actually saying it's okay to have more characters show up.

So, is this movie dead again or not? I can't tell from the mixed news in this thread
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

I'm not convinced in Netflix modus operandi, also people seems tired of subscriptions and z-list movies with a-list hollywood stars.....I'm not sure of the mediatic exposure MOTU needs to be succesful Netflix could give, sure I like The Witcher series from them, what others fantasy shows have them?

...well not that the Barbie movie at major studio could mean any guarantee of success...also Hot Wheels is at Universal Studios right?

on a fun note, Noah Centineo left the role for a masked villain in Black Adam, why? just because of The Rock as the lead?
    Last edited by Triklops 1; June 25, 2022 at 06:15pm.
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "Good Journey!"
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "The Power of Grayskull Awakens......"
    "Let the Power Returns....!"

Fatigue

At this point, I'm just bored. There's been so much development and results coming along from animated MOTU stuff, not to mention toys and books, that I have completely lost any and all urge to give a flying flobnar about this supposed Netflix MOTU live-action movie. Any news of it will be met not with cheers, but with yawns...especially because most of the news we've gotten so far is just "oh, they're doing a He-Man movie", apart from a supposed actor joining the otherwise-unknown cast, only to leave a while later.

- - - Updated - - -

In more interesting news, has anyone else heard about those two movie outlines/proposals/ideas that Filmation conceived during the first season of He-Man? Apparently, these were going to be full-length feature films.

Another round of layoffs at Netflix, things clearly aren’t going well financial for them currently. I wouldn’t be surprised to see that impact the MOTU movie and have it delayed indefinitely.
    Calling all fellow Aussies to post in the Australian Collectors Thread

My opinion is that the film never happens. Netflix stock is down 70% year-to-date. I have to think there will be a lot budget tightening. I’m surprised the animated series got a second season.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkor View Post
    My opinion is that the film never happens. Netflix stock is down 70% year-to-date. I have to think there will be a lot budget tightening. I’m surprised the animated series got a second season.
    Mattel pays for it since they wanna sell toys.
    * First MOTU show I ever watched was the (200X) show that got cancelled.
    * Second MOTU show I watched was She-ra & the Princesses Of Power (2017~2020)
    * Third was Masters of the Universe: Revelation (2021)

Call Your Champion Voodoo Magic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Catra2017 View Post
    Mattel pays for it since they wanna sell toys.
    Not quite how it works, but you're right about Mattel wanting to sell toys!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ProteinNerd View Post
    Another round of layoffs at Netflix, things clearly aren’t going well financial for them currently. I wouldn’t be surprised to see that impact the MOTU movie and have it delayed indefinitely.
    It's a real possibility. But as the song goes, I'm holding out for a hero. (And that hero might actually be Mattel, if the ultimatum I was told they gave Netflix is accurate.)
    - - - - -
    FOR ETERNIA Podcast
    Masters of the Universe Podcast

ForEternia.com
    Masters of the Universe: Revelation Fan Site

- - - - -

Master of New Adventures!
    Really? I remember these four weird turtles who starred in an animated series that generated pretty fair revenues even before there was a live action film about them.

And I recall working on an animated series about these cuddly bears living in the clouds that racked up pretty good sales. Oh wait! Care Bears is still airing!

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    Properties need live action content to become really successful.
    Animation(series) is great but as TorakLoP says it's just for a very specific audience ,it doesnt create the hype or exposure that a live action stuff does.
    if you want to be really massive ,you need a live action movie, it's the ultimate media .

So far motu was tested just with animation and it was good , it served to put motu on the radar again ,that was its goal but you need live action content to become a phenomeno.

Motu has never gotten a live action treanment in the modern era of entertainment (internet-social network-cgi -supeheros time) and it could be the most important project ever in terms of ambitions and exposure for motu.