Page 75 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2565737475
Results 1,851 to 1,870 of 1870

Thread: Netflix's Masters of the Universe Film - Official Discussion

Yeah, I love the idea of a MOTU movie but this new series just proves that some people will never be satisfied no matter what, and this franchise with its 5 or 6 or however many disparate canons already has an incredibly fractured fanbase who can't seem to agree on anything.

Any approach they take to make a movie will get roasted. Origin story? People will complain that he's not "He-Man" until the movie is half-over and that all the "good stuff" was left out for sequels that might not get made. A story joined-in-progress? People will complain it doesn't do enough to introduce the characters and concepts for the casual viewer. A straight-up Filmation riff? People will complain that it's too silly and a "wasted opportunity" when they could have made "a real movie" instead. They do a "serious" movie? Filmation fans will complain that it's TOO serious and doesn't bear enough resemblance to the thing that made them fans in the first place. They keep the costumes 100% to the toy and cartoon designs? "Those designs are too goofy in live action." They redesign everyone like they did for the 1987 movie? "I don't even recognize these characters, why'd they even bother?"

We all want a movie, but nobody would ever agree on what that movie should even BE. And no matter WHAT comes out, a ton of people will say they "did it wrong" and "missed the entire point".

This weekend was emotionally exhausting, and the fallout from a movie would be ten times worse. I kind of don't ever want to go through all this again.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Heroic Warrior
    Well, those who did not like it can always show us how to do it properly.
    It not that hard.
    There's youtube, there's twitch, use your favorite rules set, roll up a couple of characters, run the campaign starting from episode 1, record/edit/add effects & music....

WAA...LAA!

Let the views, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    Yeah, I love the idea of a MOTU movie but this new series just proves that some people will never be satisfied no matter what, and this franchise with its 5 or 6 or however many disparate canons already has an incredibly fractured fanbase who can't seem to agree on anything.

Any approach they take to make a movie will get roasted. Origin story? People will complain that he's not "He-Man" until the movie is half-over and that all the "good stuff" was left out for sequels that might not get made…

Have you not heard of the MCU? They had origin movies for virtually every major character where they weren’t Captain America, Iron Man, Dr Strange, Ant Man etc until half way through. How is that any different to a He-Man origin?

Just make a good engaging story based on what made the franchise popular to start with
    and stop trying to subvert expectations and it can be done without any of the drama.

Since it's so incredibly easy, I can't wait until you show us all how it's done. I'll be the first one in line for it.

If this weekend has taught us anything, it's that "what made the franchise popular in the first place" varies wildly from individual to individual. Everybody seems to have gotten into it for different reasons and wants different things from it.

Although it apparently turns out that for all these years, a lot of people only cared about seeing He-Man and nothing else, and everything else was just wasted space, based on some of these reactions to the new series. Kind of surprises me, but ah well. I thought the draw was a combination of things, personally; the lore, the world-building, the ensemble cast of heroes and villains, the mix of Epic Fantasy and Science Fantasy, the beasts, the vehicles...

But nah, apparently the only thing most people cared about was He-Man in his fuzzy underpants, and everything else was a gigantic waste of time. Boy, what does THAT say?

Seriously, you'd sooner get a roomful of people to agree on a pizza topping before you'd ever get this fanbase to agree on what a MOTU movie "should" be. Nobody can even agree on what's "important" about it. It could be done like Batman Begins or Batman & Robin, and either way you'd have one group of people saying it was "perfect" and another group of people saying "they got everything wrong!"

And here I thought the TMNT fanbase was bipolar and impossible to please. I've learned a lot this past week. Nothing GOOD, but... I've definitely learned a lot.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

I'm beginning to see why Target is flooded with nothing but He-Man and Skeletor Origins figures...

Apparently, that's all anyone wants from MOTU.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

And yet, it seems to be generally agreed that it was over-focus on He-Man and Skeletor that killed the 200X toyline, and consequently prematurely ended the show. How quickly people forget, eh?
    Don't think, that'll only confuse you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dina M View Post
    And yet, it seems to be generally agreed that it was over-focus on He-Man and Skeletor that killed the 200X toyline, and consequently prematurely ended the show. How quickly people forget, eh?
    But Skeletor was sidelined in season 2 of 200x in favour of the Snake Men.

The problem with too much He-Man and Skeletor had nothing to do with the cartoon it was only in the toy line.
    No one needed all the numerous pointless variants of He-Man and Skeletor.
    Getting the other characters was near impossible when all the pegs are full of nothing but He-Man and Skeletor variants.

Always an excuse, isn't there?

I mean, to be fair... when Mattel is sending stores 25 Disco Skeletors and only one Evil-Lyn, it becomes a pretty valid complaint.

Yeah, I suppose... I just notice that some of the complaints I see are rather self-contradicting, and sometimes the explanations for why comes across more as excuses... then again, I'm a filthy casual who never bought a MOTU toy in her life and has no plans to, so feel free to ignore what I say.

The line started great, then got sour really fast. At first, you could find a little bit of everybody, but after the second Wave came out it was like all you could find anywhere were any one of 20 He-Man and Skeletor variants. And I actually liked the variants, mostly, but all of a sudden those were the ONLY figures you could find. My wife worked briefly for Toys R Us, and that's the only reason I have Evil-Lyn; her figure was like finding a four-leaf clover. I ended up getting almost everything up through the "vs. the Snake Men" waves, and a few of the ones that came out after, but even a lot of that was because I was buddies with the comic book store guy and he'd save them for me. Eventually they just became too hard to find. Except the variants, which just sat there collecting dust for months. It's not even like nobody wanted them, but most people already had them and to go to Toys R Us and see nothing but the same two figures you bought 3 or 4 months ago was a real drag.

And I was working SUPER hard to collect that line, in the days when just going on eBay or the Target website wasn't a real option. Just spending an entire weekend hitting like 6 different stores looking for these things, usually finding something eventually but sometimes coming up completely dry. Most people probably only hit up one or two places locally, in which case they'd just see the same variants and nothing new. What are people supposed to do, y'know? Re-buy the same stuff they already bought out of pity? If they saw more new figures on the pegs they absolutely would have bought them and the line could have kept going. But three months of seeing nothing but Snake Armor Skeletor and Wolf Armor He-Man, and they haven't even released a Sorceress figure... what can ya do, y'know? Eventually you just give up.

Which is a real bummer, since the toy line tanking ended the cartoon series prematurely. But again, we didn't have much of a choice but to stop supporting the line... there was nothing (available) to collect! You can't sell one or two new figures to stores in the same box with 30 figures people already have and expect that to satisfy anyone. It's just a real shame that the cartoon was "punished" for the toy line being mishandled.

I look back on that time with a very bittersweet lens. I loved the show and I loved the toys, but that ride sure went off the rails in a hurry. Shame. Started great.

Always an excuse, isn't there?
    Not an excuse, just a fact.

Not many kids had interest in all these variants. https://www.he-man.org/collecting/to...ction.php?id=7

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Not an excuse, just a fact.

Not many kids had interest in all these variants. https://www.he-man.org/collecting/to...ction.php?id=7
    I sure did! But I also wanted more new characters, and once I bought the variants once I sure wasn't gonna buy 'em again!

I mean, I wasn't "a kid" but you get my point.

The line started great, then got sour really fast. At first, you could find a little bit of everybody, but after the second Wave came out it was like all you could find anywhere were any one of 20 He-Man and Skeletor variants. And I actually liked the variants, mostly, but all of a sudden those were the ONLY figures you could find. My wife worked briefly for Toys R Us, and that's the only reason I have Evil-Lyn; her figure was like finding a four-leaf clover. I ended up getting almost everything up through the "vs. the Snake Men" waves, and a few of the ones that came out after, but even a lot of that was because I was buddies with the comic book store guy and he'd save them for me. Eventually they just became too hard to find. Except the variants, which just sat there collecting dust for months. It's not even like nobody wanted them, but most people already had them and to go to Toys R Us and see nothing but the same two figures you bought 3 or 4 months ago was a real drag.

And I was working SUPER hard to collect that line, in the days when just going on eBay or the Target website wasn't a real option. Just spending an entire weekend hitting like 6 different stores looking for these things, usually finding something eventually but sometimes coming up completely dry. Most people probably only hit up one or two places locally, in which case they'd just see the same variants and nothing new. What are people supposed to do, y'know? Re-buy the same stuff they already bought out of pity? If they saw more new figures on the pegs they absolutely would have bought them and the line could have kept going. But three months of seeing nothing but Snake Armor Skeletor and Wolf Armor He-Man, and they haven't even released a Sorceress figure... what can ya do, y'know? Eventually you just give up.

Which is a real bummer, since the toy line tanking ended the cartoon series prematurely. But again, we didn't have much of a choice but to stop supporting the line... there was nothing (available) to collect! You can't sell one or two new figures to stores in the same box with 30 figures people already have and expect that to satisfy anyone. It's just a real shame that the cartoon was "punished" for the toy line being mishandled.

I look back on that time with a very bittersweet lens. I loved the show and I loved the toys, but that ride sure went off the rails in a hurry. Shame. Started great.
    I remember when I first discovered the 2002 toys before seeing the cartoon in 2003 I bought the He-Man and was really impressed so went back and got all of wave one. Getting Orko, Ram Man, Mechaneck were easy enough but aftet that is became difficult. The only other villain I found was Trap Jaw. After that I didn't get another figure until Syklone in 2005. I eventually got the others on eBay a few years later.

- - - Updated - - -

I sure did! But I also wanted more new characters, and once I bought the variants once I sure wasn't gonna buy 'em again!

I mean, I wasn't "a kid" but you get my point.
    The only variant I bought was Ice Armour He-Man. I do wish I had bought the Battle Sound versions of He-Man and Skeletor.

I remember when I first discovered the 2002 toys before seeing the cartoon in 2003 I bought the He-Man and was really impressed so went back and got all of wave one. Getting Orko, Ram Man, Mechaneck were easy enough but aftet that is became difficult. The only other villain I found was Trap Jaw. After that I didn't get another figure until Syklone in 2005. I eventually got the others on eBay a few years later.
    Yeah, there's a bunch I'm still missing from the late-series stuff.

My Tri-Klops's head broke off. Seems to be a very common problem with that figure, sadly.

More to topic... one of the best things about a new movie would undoubtedly be the new toys that would go along with it. I wonder what they'd be like.

I imagine they might be slightly smaller than most of the stuff we're used to, since that's just common for movie lines in general, everything's in a little bit smaller scale so you can do more playsets and vehicles and stuff. So they probably wouldn't scale in with anything else, but depending on what kind of aesthetic the hypothetical movie would have the accompanying toys could be pretty cool. They'd likely be their own unique thing completely separate and different from Origins or Masterverse or anything like that. It's intriguing to think about. For me, anyway.

Yeah, there's a bunch I'm still missing from the late-series stuff.

My Tri-Klops's head broke off. Seems to be a very common problem with that figure, sadly.

More to topic... one of the best things about a new movie would undoubtedly be the new toys that would go along with it. I wonder what they'd be like.

I imagine they might be slightly smaller than most of the stuff we're used to, since that's just common for movie lines in general, everything's in a little bit smaller scale so you can do more playsets and vehicles and stuff. So they probably wouldn't scale in with anything else, but depending on what kind of aesthetic the hypothetical movie would have the accompanying toys could be pretty cool. They'd likely be their own unique thing completely separate and different from Origins or Masterverse or anything like that. It's intriguing to think about. For me, anyway.
    Oddly enough on Facebook I seen a listing for Origins movie figures. NOt sure if that's the 87 movie.
    I would assume it would make more sense to have the movie toys in scale with Origins or Masterverse.

Oddly enough on Facebook I seen a listing for Origins movie figures. NOt sure if that's the 87 movie.
    I would assume it would make more sense to have the movie toys in scale with Origins or Masterverse.
    One might think, but historically Mattel keeps their movie-based lines and other lines based on the same characters separate, if you notice. They might be similar sometimes but they're rarely in the same scale with the same articulation. Their dedicated lines for movies like Aquaman, BvS or Justice League weren't in the same scale with their DCU Classics or Multiverse stuff. They were always their own thing. And while they often did also release other, better movie-based figures into Multiverse later on, the "Movie Masters" or whatever stuff which came out at the same time as the movies were always smaller and less-articulated.

So I'm just speculating that going by precedent, Mattel would likewise do a completely unique movie-based line for any MOTU film, with more realistic sculpting and facial likenesses from either Origins or Masterverse (the Masterverse stuff is also way bigger than most of Mattel's movie stuff, so I don't think they'd re-use those). I'm imagining something in a similar style to the Justice League movie figures they did.

Not saying they couldn't just stick new heads that look like the movie actors onto Origins or Masterverse bodies, glue some new parts on and call it a day. It would certainly be cost-effective. It's just that it would be the very first time they ever did that for a movie line.

Not saying they couldn't just stick new heads that look like the movie actors onto Origins or Masterverse bodies, glue some new parts on and call it a day. It would certainly be cost-effective. It's just that it would be the very first time they ever did that for a movie line.
    They could end up looking like that WWE Bray Wyatt figure.

Widget
    I bought a lot of 200X toys, but I actually worked at TRU and same story, I only got the ones I did because I had first pick.

I was heartbroken when 200X was cancelled before its time. I'm so glad the Netflix version isn't dependent on toy sales for its funding. It shouldn't be that way.