Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1757656667
Results 1,651 to 1,666 of 1666

Thread: Netflix's Masters of the Universe Film - Official Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by TheInformer View Post
    Guys, I don't understand, does that mean Noah won't play He-man?
    I'm not sure if there's any offical word, but most people are taking this as confirmation that the movie was placed on the back burner, yet again.
    Odd Man Out

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    I'm not sure if there's any offical word, but most people are taking this as confirmation that the movie was placed on the back burner, yet again.
    But Daniel Richtman! That guy who is wrong half the time said it was showing signs of life!

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/en...new-movie.html

The movie is dead folks.

There are two Netflix animated shows, and there's two new toylines. That's what we have to look forward to. The movie is a pipe dream at this point.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    But Daniel Richtman! That guy who is wrong half the time said it was showing signs of life!

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/en...new-movie.html

The movie is dead folks.

There are two Netflix animated shows, and there's two new toylines. That's what we have to look forward to. The movie is a pipe dream at this point.
    Oh well, if it's dead, it's dead. The odds were highly against it being an improvement over the '87 piece of trash anyway. A 2 hour movie simply can't do the vast MOTU world justice. It's impossible. A big budget streaming series however could.

Heroic Warrior
    The best hope for something live action to happen is for the new properties to hit and do well. If they actually generate some mainstream buzz and popularity, that could help the property get some gas for another new adaptation, but I'm not holding my breath.

Also, Noah Centineo was always a bad choice for the role.

-CM Punk

Master of New Adventures!
    No offense to Noah, as I think he's a good actor. But I tried to tell everyone about him with regard to playing He-man. Moot point anyway, since the movie was never going to happen, which I also tried to explain.

Over a million-and-a-half views in the Casting speculation thread. I suppose it was fun, but then pipe dreams sometimes are. Kind of like a rocking chair -- takes a lot of effort but doesn't really get you anywhere...

Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    The best hope for something live action to happen is for the new properties to hit and do well. If they actually generate some mainstream buzz and popularity, that could help the property get some gas for another new adaptation, but I'm not holding my breath.

Also, Noah Centineo was always a bad choice for the role.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; February 24, 2021 at 05:32pm.

Heroic Warrior
    I always hoped for another movie but, it seems like nobody is ever going to be on the same page and get this thing actually in production. The script would be everything.

I just want an 8-10 episode show that follows the original mini-comics. Maybe I am crazy(and I am) but, if they focused on those as “outlines”, they could build something incredible in an episodic way.

Someone has probably said this before.

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    A 2 hour movie simply can't do the vast MOTU world justice. It's impossible. A big budget streaming series however could.
    Agree 100%. It's like trying to pour a gallon of milk into a shotglass. Look at what happened to Justice League!

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    No offense to Noah, as I think he's a good actor. But I tried to tell everyone about him with regard to playing He-man. Moot point anyway, since the movie was never going to happen, which I also tried to explain.
    This is precisely why I call you Eldor.

Sadly, the pandemic's timing is horrible ( as if there could ever be a good time ) since Geek Culture / 80s nostalgia is very popular!!
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; February 25, 2021 at 12:23am.
    Odd Man Out

Heroic Warrior
    The good news is this started as a toy property and the toys are continuing for now. And we're getting two new animated shows.

Outside of Classics and the comics here and there, really nothing was happening with this property for the last 10 years. Things are at least happening now with two animated shows and new products. That's something.

A movie getting made would take a miracle at this point.

-CM Punk

Widget
    I just don't get the problems with this film??!! For the last 10, 15, 20 years we have been living in a movie landscape that has been swamped with fantasy/sci-fi/super hero/comic movies and they still cant make this. Literally, every other super hero/comic franchise has had a movie made, most terrible btw. Do they really think that having just the 87 movie will do us!

Plot: You have nearly 40 years of cartoons/comics etc to pull a story from so that can't be that difficult.

Template/Precedent: It's fairly simple...LORD OF THE RINGS!!!...with a splash of Star Wars I guess. For God' sake, actually just get Peter Jackson or Lucas to make the damn thing and be done with it.

Worries about audience: Again 40 years of history with fans should cover that. And please don't try and appeal to both children and adults, most of today's children have never heard of he man whether we like it or not, unless their dad is a fan. Do you think Peter Jackson worried about the 'kids'?

Special effects: Again, look what LOTR did and that was nearly 20 years ago. Imagine how awesome the CGI would be now.

Too many characters and universes/worlds: I don't think any fan would expect every character to be featured. A core group of the main ones would keep us happy right. As for worlds, just keep it mainly on Eternia. Please don't even think about sneaking in an Earth scenario. To get more characters and worlds in, make the film a trilogy (steady on Ed!!)

Possible Actors: Surely, the least of all the problems. Have one or two big-ish names and a load of up an comings who may see it as a ticket to the big time. For this it will be all about marketing, marketing marketing. And please no Noah whats his name. He looks like he's 10 for **** sake. Lundgren would eat him for dinner. Actually, bring Dolph back. He's not too old if we get another big ish star in the mix.

Money/Budget: After all this time, it must be this that's the problem. No studio is willing to take a chance on it. Such a pity and I don't know why.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Ghast View Post
    I just don't get the problems with this film??!! For the last 10, 15, 20 years we have been living in a movie landscape that has been swamped with fantasy/sci-fi/super hero/comic movies and they still cant make this. Literally, every other super hero/comic franchise has had a movie made, most terrible btw. Do they really think that having just the 87 movie will do us!

Plot: You have nearly 40 years of cartoons/comics etc to pull a story from so that can't be that difficult.

Template/Precedent: It's fairly simple...LORD OF THE RINGS!!!...with a splash of Star Wars I guess. For God' sake, actually just get Peter Jackson or Lucas to make the damn thing and be done with it.

Worries about audience: Again 40 years of history with fans should cover that. And please don't try and appeal to both children and adults, most of today's children have never heard of he man whether we like it or not, unless their dad is a fan. Do you think Peter Jackson worried about the 'kids'?

Special effects: Again, look what LOTR did and that was nearly 20 years ago. Imagine how awesome the CGI would be now.

Too many characters and universes/worlds: I don't think any fan would expect every character to be featured. A core group of the main ones would keep us happy right. As for worlds, just keep it mainly on Eternia. Please don't even think about sneaking in an Earth scenario. To get more characters and worlds in, make the film a trilogy (steady on Ed!!)

Possible Actors: Surely, the least of all the problems. Have one or two big-ish names and a load of up an comings who may see it as a ticket to the big time. For this it will be all about marketing, marketing marketing. And please no Noah whats his name. He looks like he's 10 for **** sake. Lundgren would eat him for dinner. Actually, bring Dolph back. He's not too old if we get another big ish star in the mix.

Money/Budget: After all this time, it must be this that's the problem. No studio is willing to take a chance on it. Such a pity and I don't know why.
    It's not so much a question of if the movie can be made, but a matter of 'how much will we spend versus how much will we make.'

Just the fact that a MOTU movie is placed in the same landscape as a Barbie movie and a MAGIC 8-BALL movie (?!?) speaks volumes...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

At the end of the day, "money" is always the biggest problem. "How much is it gonna cost, and how much are we likely to actually make?"

By several accounts, a huge problem is that Lord of the Rings aside, fantasy films in the 21st century simply do not draw and many of them have lost money. There have been multiple films about characters like Conan, Hercules, and so on, and they all under-performed. In at least one case, a failed Conan movie was given as the direct reason that an upcoming MOTU film from the same studio was shelved; "If we can't even sell Conan, we surely can't sell He-Man."

To be perfectly blunt... I can't even really argue with that logic.

Sure, the audience in recent years has been turning out big for super-hero type fare, but mostly only the Marvel stuff, and that's more about the brand than any of the specific movies. They make very populist, all-ages fare that relies on broad humor and kind of poking fun at its own source material, making sure that nothing is ever "too serious". The closest MCU analogue to something like MOTU would be Thor, and the first two Thor movies (which played the material straight) were not very well-received, and most people cite them as the "worst" of the MCU movies. It was only by disregarding the comics entirely and going for a full-blown comedic slant that made Ragnarok a huge hit, and to be frank, that's not the approach I would ever want to see for a MOTU film. BUT, that's apparently the type of movie that the mainstream audience of Right Now wants to see.

I don't envy the studio(s) trying to make the MOTU movie happen. I really don't. There's no guarantee that what would absolutely be a very expensive film would even make its budget back, based on current trends. WE care, obviously, WE would all go see it, but how many of us even ARE there? The studio people are only looking at the numbers, and those numbers say "This type of material doesn't work in movies anymore, unless you completely make fun of it a'la Ragnarok" That's what makes money, and if that's the kind of movie we'd get, then I don't want it.

I'd absolutely love a MOTU movie made in the vein of LOTR, but going by the past 20 years of movie history, we can safely say that that series was an outlier in the big picture. That would objectively be the best approach for a MOTU movie to take, but if those types of movies don't sell outside of That One Series, then how can they even be expected to make the effort?
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    At the end of the day, "money" is always the biggest problem. "How much is it gonna cost, and how much are we likely to actually make?"

By several accounts, a huge problem is that Lord of the Rings aside, fantasy films in the 21st century simply do not draw and many of them have lost money. There have been multiple films about characters like Conan, Hercules, and so on, and they all under-performed. In at least one case, a failed Conan movie was given as the direct reason that an upcoming MOTU film from the same studio was shelved; "If we can't even sell Conan, we surely can't sell He-Man."

To be perfectly blunt... I can't even really argue with that logic.
    Not to mention, a Jason Momoa Conan! It should've been a license to print money. I honestly feel like if the Conan reboot had come post-Deadpool/Logan/GoT and pre-Aquaman, it would have done spectacularly. I don't think 2011 audiences that grew up with Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings were ready for R-rated heroic fantasy until Deadpool and Game of Thrones showed them how it could be done.

On the same token, Conan and MOTU don't share the same fanbase, for the most part. I like both, but most people seem to be either/or fans. A PG-13 MOTU movie isn't going to necessarily attract the same moviegoer as an R-rated Conan will, and the failure of one spelling doom for the other was a shortsighted studio move imo.

Armchair movie executive speculation here, but Lionsgate should have done MOTU first, and given it a 150 million budget, then see how much a wide appeal PG-13 movie brought in at the box office. If it did poorly, they could let the Conan license elapse. If it did great, then they could move forward with Conan, reuse some existing MOTU sets, give it half the MOTU budget, and market it as a "grown up blend of MOTU and 300!" At that time (300 notwithstanding), you could expect a moderate budget fantasy action film to bring in half the earnings with an R-rating as it would with a PG-13, so they put the cart before the horse with Conan.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

I do believe the Jason Momoa Conan film failed because it was a dreadful film. Also, Momoa wasn't what he is today. In an elseworlds universe, it would be interesting to see how a Jason Momoa Conan the Barbarian film would be treated today. I would imagine the studio doing it would put a lot more into it, for starters.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    I do believe the Jason Momoa Conan film failed because it was a dreadful film. Also, Momoa wasn't what he is today. In an elseworlds universe, it would be interesting to see how a Jason Momoa Conan the Barbarian film would be treated today. I would imagine the studio doing it would put a lot more into it, for starters.
    I don't think there was anything wrong with the movie. It wasn't great, but neither was the original Conan or its sequel, or its 'not-a-spinoff' Red Sonja spinoff. Storywise, it was stronger than the original. Momoa was a better actor in 2011 than Schwarzenegger was in 1982, and it should have launched his career like the original did for Arnold.

I think its failure had more to do with the negative word of mouth generated by the new breed of millennial-aged critic that took over at the major Variety, New Yorker, Premiere types of media outlets around the same time, after they ruined the intrernet. This group typically abhor violence, masculinity, and violent masculinity. The audience response was pretty positive, which spotlights the divide between what people want to see versus what critics dictate we should see. 2011's Conan was made for the former group rather than the latter.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

The biggest problem with the He-Man is that there is no actor currently in Hollywood who can believably sell the role of He-Man. Seeing is believing. If the producer can't dress up a guy in costume and present him to a studio say "Look here is He-Man" otherwise it is never going to happen. Characters like He-Man and Conan need to wait for another triple A actor like Arnold Schwarzenegger or Dolph Lundgren to come along. The closest we ever came to getting that was with maybe Brad Pitt right after he played Achilles in "Troy" (2004). Until another opportunity arises we are just kind of stuck in limbo playing the waiting game.

I think Henry Cavill could honestly do it. There's a reason so many of his roles include shirtless scenes; the guy's by far the most jacked-up that any live-action Superman has ever been, and as a "bonus" he's also a really good actor. He's only about 6'1 but he's pretty wide. He might be a bit "old" for it now, though, but eh.

The more popular and commonly-cited pick is Chris Hemsworth, and I admit that's not a bad pick, although I think it's a bit too close to Thor in some ways. But he wouldn't be bad. He's pretty open that he doesn't like working out to get jacked for a role but he's gotten pretty impressively huge for the Hulk Hogan movie. So he can get there when he feels like it.

I think a huge problem is honestly the costume. Like I could see either of the two actors I mentioned playing the role well from an acting standpoint... but would either of them want to wear the traditional He-Man costume? I sort of doubt it. I have to believe that's a more common obstacle than we might think, and it probably comes up in conversation fairly often when they're trying to find a guy. Most actors would likely feel ridiculous spending 12-hour shooting days wearing furry underpants. Even to this day, while his general stance on the 1987 movie has softened somewhat, Dolph still mockingly refers to wearing a "leather diaper" so you have to believe that it wasn't his favorite "look"; and at least he had a slightly more "modest" attire given that he had a cape to sort of distract from the fact he was practically nude otherwise.

Don't get me wrong, the traditional He-Man costume is by far my favorite look for the character, but you have to admit it's a tough sell in live-action and most guys probably wouldn't be comfortable wearing it. That's probably a big factor in why casting the role is so hard. The only guys who'd probably consent to wearing it are bodybuilder types, most of whom can't act. And most "real" actors except Cavill and Hemsworth simply can't pull off the look.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA