Page 68 of 71 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 1753

Thread: Netflix's Masters of the Universe Film - Official Discussion

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    Outside of LOTR and GoT, I can't think of any major fantasy film/television properties in the last two decades or so.
    Both of these franchises show how amazingly it can be done, when done right. One a brilliant 3 movie epic and one a glued to the box TV epic. So whoever's in charge of MOTU, just do it!!!

And yet, there is no He Man 'actor' out there apart from a WWE guy that cant act. I'll say it again, put a blonde wig on The Rock and we're there.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Ghast View Post
    Both of these franchises show how amazingly it can be done, when done right. One a brilliant 3 movie epic and one a glued to the box TV epic. So whoever's in charge of MOTU, just do it!!!
    I agree (although I do want a good script). This movie will likely go straight to Netflix with maybe a limited theater release, so that will cut down on marketing and needing a huge amount of box office receipts to not be considered a failure. Streaming companies these days basically just brag in PR about the number of people that watched the first 5 minutes of a movie. Netflix just shelled out $468 million for 2 Knives Out movies. A good special effects MOTU movie can probably be made for around $200 million, maybe less. Hopefully, this new Sony deal helps push things along in some way.

Reminder to all: Let's try to keep the casting speculation that isn't news to this thread linked below. Thanks.
    https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...-Thread/page86

Master of New Adventures!
    Look, I know for a long time I pooh-poohed the theatrical film getting made because I was tired of fans getting their hopes up only to see them dashed. But the landscape has changed recently with MOTU series ready to hit the air. For MOTU the single best path to an actual feature film -- and they can say anything they want, but I don't count streaming or Netflix as actual feature films -- is for the series to do extremely well and, as a result, create a built-in audience that motion picture executives realize will flock to the feature film. Ultimately, at least for studio execs, it's all about the Benjamins and the best way to 'guarantee' a successful film -- think: Marvel -- is for there to be a built-in audience for the film.

For the first time in a long time I actually have hope that some day in the not-too-distant future I'll be sitting in a movie theater -- without a mask! -- watching the MOTU feature film.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Look, I know for a long time I pooh-poohed the theatrical film getting made because I was tired of fans getting their hopes up only to see them dashed. But the landscape has changed recently with MOTU series ready to hit the air. For MOTU the single best path to an actual feature film -- and they can say anything they want, but I don't count streaming or Netflix as actual feature films -- is for the series to do extremely well and, as a result, create a built-in audience that motion picture executives realize will flock to the feature film. Ultimately, at least for studio execs, it's all about the Benjamins and the best way to 'guarantee' a successful film -- think: Marvel -- is for there to be a built-in audience for the film.

For the first time in a long time I actually have hope that some day in the not-too-distant future I'll be sitting in a movie theater -- without a mask! -- watching the MOTU feature film.
    Low key the part of the mask thing ending that I'm most excited for is movie theaters. I tried watching Godzilla vs Kong, but the mask was just too distracting (one of like two times I've left the theater during a movie, the last time being Suicide Squad), so I probably won't return to theaters until it's allowed and safe to go maskless.

Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    Low key the part of the mask thing ending that I'm most excited for is movie theaters. I tried watching Godzilla vs Kong, but the mask was just too distracting (one of like two times I've left the theater during a movie, the last time being Suicide Squad), so I probably won't return to theaters until it's allowed and safe to go maskless.
    I went to a friend's to watch Godzilla vs Kong. He had family over, they cooked a great meal and we watched the movie in his theater room. There were a few kids there who got a little board with the movie and were all over the place.

I almost think a Masters of the Universe movie might work better on Netflix. You could break it up into a limited series. Get more bang for your buck instead of just a single shot, or hoping for a trilogy.

I think a lot of what's going to happen with this property depends on the 2 new cartoons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

A little off topic but do you think theaters will survive this? People I know seem to love the big movies streaming right into their living rooms and I seem to be in the minority when it comes to wanting to go back into theaters.

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post
    A little off topic but do you think theaters will survive this? People I know seem to love the big movies streaming right into their living rooms and I seem to be in the minority when it comes to wanting to go back into theaters.
    Well, considering we're still in the pandemic, Godzilla vs. Kong's success has shown that people still want to see films in theatres. So yes, I think cinemas will survive post-pandemic.

I'd be interested to learn how many prefer the theater experience over sitting in one's living room. To me there's something wonderful about sitting in a darkened theater with a group of strangers and communally enjoying or loathing a film.

I'd be interested to learn how many prefer the theater experience over sitting in one's living room. To me there's something wonderful about sitting in a darkened theater with a group of strangers and communally enjoying or loathing a film.
    Me too. For some reason, unless it's an amazing film, I can't give complete attention to full-length features. I don't know if it's because there are so many distractions or I've been programmed for television while in my living room.

Hearing the crowd reactions to films is part of the film IMO. For instance, if I'm watching a comedy in the theater and the room is all laughing together, it seems as if the movie is actually funnier than it is. (Akin to the laugh track used in sitcoms).

I'm not overly concerned about the major blockbusters drawing crowds at theaters but will the non-popcorn summer blockbusters be able to do it? Are those big blockbusters frequent enough to keep theaters open? Disney+ requiring additional fees to access their new releases helps the theaters but HBO Max is killing them.

Heroic Warrior
    Let's start a new thread discussing/debating said topic.

Cause I would like to write a 4 day long, incoherent, never ending, response. (sarcasm not included).

I think that's a great idea, midor.

As he-man.org's resident senior citizen, I'm old enough to remember when going to the movies was an event. I even loved the lines. I'll never forget the sheer joy of lining up for Star Wars, A New Hope. Standing in line, buying popcorn and sitting in the theater was something that somehow united all of it. It was a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    Let's start a new thread discussing/debating said topic.

Cause I would like to write a 4 day long, incoherent, never ending, response. (sarcasm not included).

I think that's a great idea, midor.

As he-man.org's resident senior citizen, I'm old enough to remember when going to the movies was an event. I even loved the lines. I'll never forget the sheer joy of lining up for Star Wars, A New Hope. Standing in line, buying popcorn and sitting in the theater was something that somehow united all of it. It was a good time.

You're not the only one. In Europe, we still had a great number of actual movie houses. Large 70mm screens, and Cinemascope theatres. All that seemed to have been mostly replaced by multiplexes in the US. IMAX was a lot later. The US had a good number of drive-ins left compared to Europe, so it was a semi-decent tradeoff.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Sadly, this is becoming more common:

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/13/98672...andemic-losses

As someone who labors in the entertainment industry and loves both film and television, one of the things that has touched me during the pandemic is driving by our AMC theaters complex and always seeing the vacant parking lot. I think about all the film fans who have not enjoyed the movie theater experience in over a year, all the workers who have not had a job and the cutbacks in film production.

I hope it ends and we return to normal. But I'm growingly concerned that there can come a moment when it reaches a tipping point.

I actually like going to cinemas occasionally when a movie I am looking forward to is screening. I usually only go a couple times of year though.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Heroic Warrior
    ďThe movie may wind up on Netflix alongside the two animated series, as Sony chairman Tom Rothman is said to be considering selling the He-Man reboot rather than risking a costly theatrical release.ď

This is probably old news but, was included in the IGN announcement about the Dark Horse comic book

https://www.ign.com/articles/masters...l-comic-he-man

Quote Originally Posted by Glasstor View Post
    ďThe movie may wind up on Netflix alongside the two animated series, as Sony chairman Tom Rothman is said to be considering selling the He-Man reboot rather than risking a costly theatrical release.ď

This is probably old news but, was included in the IGN announcement about the Dark Horse comic book

https://www.ign.com/articles/masters...l-comic-he-man
    Good - sell it to a studio that actually cares.

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Good - sell it to a studio that actually cares.
    Not to be a Negative Nancy, but... who on Earth would THAT be?

I'd swear that by now every studio already had their turn with it and they all ultimately passed because there wasn't any money in it.

I hate to say it, but by this point someone making a movie on the cheap and dumping it on Netflix just so they can say "Hey, at least we (kinda) tried" is probably the best outcome we can ever hope for. Not saying I WANT that, just saying it's probably the only realistic possibility of this movie ever being anything more than Wishful Thinking.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Netflix is the only place it'd happen at this point. In a post-Covid world it'll be a long while before any studio wants to roll the dice with a theatrical release.

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    Netflix is totally fine with me BUT i'd also be 100% ok with Disney buying the property and using the Volume (The Mandalorian) for FX/location filming. I'd also be fine with WB buying it up and putting it on HBO Max.
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Creator of Kaiju Kaos.

If Disney got it they'd most likely go full-on Filmation with it. No thanks. I love the cartoon for what it is but that's not at all what a MOTU movie should be, in my opinion.

WB might go a bit far in the other direction, since as a general rule they like to make their properties "dark" and "gritty", but at least it would be more like a "real movie" rather than a live-action cartoon.

Part of the hold-up is the persistent belief that MOTU isn't "cool". If you wanna convince people that it IS "cool", the last thing you'd wanna do is take your opportunity at making a live-action film and then spend two hours winking at the audience and doing memes. That approach might go great with a certain number of fans, but I'd wager not enough to actually turn a profit or be overwhelmingly satisfying to a larger audience.

I mean, I don't actually KNOW that's the approach Disney would take, but based on their track record that's just what my gut says.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by baileyrecords View Post
    Netflix is totally fine with me BUT i'd also be 100% ok with Disney buying the property and using the Volume (The Mandalorian) for FX/location filming. I'd also be fine with WB buying it up and putting it on HBO Max.
    I totally agree with this. Iíve said it before and Iíll say it again, what I think would really work (and maybe lead to more possibilities of an actual movie) is a series (a la Disney+ or Netflix) with each episode/ chapter being loosely based on an original mini-comic. It could be pure awesomeness and an overarching story could fall right into place. Iíve been constantly thinking about The Volume as the perfect place to do the epic scenes.

Boom. Pay me Mattel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    If Disney got it they'd most likely go full-on Filmation with it. No thanks. I love the cartoon for what it is but that's not at all what a MOTU movie should be, in my opinion.

WB might go a bit far in the other direction, since as a general rule they like to make their properties "dark" and "gritty", but at least it would be more like a "real movie" rather than a live-action cartoon.

Part of the hold-up is the persistent belief that MOTU isn't "cool". If you wanna convince people that it IS "cool", the last thing you'd wanna do is take your opportunity at making a live-action film and then spend two hours winking at the audience and doing memes. That approach might go great with a certain number of fans, but I'd wager not enough to actually turn a profit or be overwhelmingly satisfying to a larger audience.

I mean, I don't actually KNOW that's the approach Disney would take, but based on their track record that's just what my gut says.
    Marc Bernardin (cohost with Kevin Smith) said this about a Superman movie. If you make a Superman movie that I canít take my kid to, you failed. This was in reference to Man of Steel where Superman killed and also referencing the Snyder cut with the language. I feel the same way about He-Man. Sure, Filmation is childish but Iíd rather more Filmation and less Conan. I donít want my He-Man brutally killing people even though his weapons are a sword and an axe. The tone of the MCU is right about the sweet spot for me in regards to He-Man so Iíd definitely be for Disney getting it especially since theyíve been nails in the casting department of the MCU. You want He-Man to connect with kids? Is there a better marketing machine than Disney?

Marc Bernardin (cohost with Kevin Smith) said this about a Superman movie. If you make a Superman movie that I canít take my kid to, you failed. This was in reference to Man of Steel where Superman killed and also referencing the Snyder cut with the language. I feel the same way about He-Man. Sure, Filmation is childish but Iíd rather more Filmation and less Conan. I donít want my He-Man brutally killing people even though his weapons are a sword and an axe. The tone of the MCU is right about the sweet spot for me in regards to He-Man so Iíd definitely be for Disney getting it especially since theyíve been nails in the casting department of the MCU. You want He-Man to connect with kids? Is there a better marketing machine than Disney?
    Well said.

I'll say it again, He-Man is NOT Conan.

The 1990 TMNT movie was the perfect marriage of toon quirkiness and comic seriousness... Leonardo carries swords with him throughout the entire movie and it was never necessary for him to behead and disembowel his enemies...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Looking forward to the Netflix Era<<

with He-Man they should Learn to save the blood and guts for the directors cut. Every time there is a pole here on the org, non-violent He man always wins by a slightly bigger margin. Would I love to see it? Yessir!! Would I expect to see it in theaters that way? I don't think so. I'd take Any movie right now. But we know that they are shooting for a live action family picture so....
    SMANOMEGA'S "NEWER" CUSTOM GALLERY BELOW
    http://s16.photobucket.com/user/sman...?sort=3&page=1

Heroic Warrior
    I 100% agree on the Superman thing. Supes isn't my favorite character, but I've been reading Superman comics my entire life and imo, Superman should be like a nice bowl of mac and cheese, good for the heart and soul. I feel the same should be true for MOTU. I mean, a darker story every once in a while is fine and helps break things up, but that shouldn't be the default.