Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940

Thread: New Release Date: March 5, 2021 for Sony Pictures' Masters of the Universe film

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Well, that reinforces Netflix and/or a significant delay.
    Yep, pretty much one of these two things. Either the Netflix deal is a go, so obviously no need for a release date. Or Sony have finally said bye bye. My guess is we'll find out which one very soon.

Could be reaching somewhat, but seeing as Borys Kit was the one who broke the original Netflix story (he works for the Hollywood Reporter), could his "Wonder where its going to go?" comment be a subtle hint?

I really don't think the film is actually dead, I just think there's no need for a release date anymore. Go back and read Adam Nee's update from last month. I think the March release has been off the table for a long time. As I said, I suspect we'll find out the truth very soon.
    Last edited by Krueger; Yesterday at 11:50am.

Heroic Warrior
    Or maybe it's dead.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Widget
    Maybe Sony transferred the rights to the MOTU movie to another studio like Warner Bros and Paramount?

Quote Originally Posted by TheInformer View Post
    Maybe Sony transferred the rights to the MOTU movie to another studio like Warner Bros and Paramount?
    I know you're new here. Did you ever read this? If not, then I recommend to do so. It is from October. It is likely that this is what has happened (although not definite), and has been on the cards for a long time: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...etflix-1246354

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    I know you're new here. Did you ever read this? If not, then I recommend to do so. It is from October. It is likely that this is what has happened (although not definite), and has been on the cards for a long time: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...etflix-1246354
    I had read this article before and I don't agree with the fact that MOTU movie should be released by Netflix, the MOTU movie should have a theatrical release like other blockbuster movies. I blame Mattel they should not have given Sony a second chance with the MOTU movie rights!

So I guess we won’t be hearing about the movie at Power Con then. lol

Maybe the rights reverted back to Mattel or the Sony/Netflix deal is happening. Either way I hope we get news or clarification soon given the recent comments from Mattel about the film and the recent episode of Roast Gooble Dinner mentioning proof of the film happening seemed to indicate things were in motion rather than stalling...AGAIN.

I do really think this is what Adam Nee meant when he said we have to be patient a bit longer last month. I think the March release date hasn't been in play for a while now, probably since late last year. I mean, I knew full well that if they didn't start filming by this March at the latest, it was never going to meet that date. So I'm actually not surprised by this. I think the Netflix thing is going to happen (or has already happened). I guess because of the vast amounts of red tape, contracts and whatnot, these things take a while to go through and get announced. It’s not like selling a DVD on eBay.

I do really think this is what Adam Nee meant when he said we have to be patient a bit longer last month. I think the March release date hasn't been in play for a while now, probably since late last year. I mean, I knew full well that if they didn't start filming by this March at the latest, it was never going to meet that date. So I'm actually not surprised by this. I think the Netflix thing is going to happen (or has already happened). I guess because of the vast amounts of red tape, contracts and whatnot, these things take a while to go through and get announced. It’s not like selling a DVD on eBay.
    Maybe we can poke the Power Con thread with a question since the OP statement mentions Mattel is directly involved and the movie was going to be one of the focuses....lol

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    When is Toy Fair? Maybe they'll announce something there?
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Creator of Kaiju Kaos.

Quote Originally Posted by baileyrecords View Post
    When is Toy Fair? Maybe they'll announce something there?
    4 weeks from now I believe. I guess another question is when is Sony’s quarterly investment call? They usually shuffle things around and make announcements to coincide with these fiscal results.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInformer View Post
    I had read this article before and I don't agree with the fact that MOTU movie should be released by Netflix, the MOTU movie should have a theatrical release like other blockbuster movies. I blame Mattel they should not have given Sony a second chance with the MOTU movie rights!
    Too much world-building and character development for a single theatrical release... and a trilogy of films wouldn't be guaranteed if the first movie bombs.

If Mattel is that determined to do a live-action version of MOTU (which has the potential to do more harm than good), then Netflix is the way to go IMO.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

What I’m curious about is the stance that Mattel is taking with the toylines. Super7 was put on hiatus because of a movie line...right? If a movie wasn’t happening why would they have stopped Super7 so early?

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post
    What I’m curious about is the stance that Mattel is taking with the toylines. Super7 was put on hiatus because of a movie line...right? If a movie wasn’t happening why would they have stopped Super7 so early?
    I'm not entirely sure Mattel pulled back on all its MOTU licenses because of a movie. I believe Mattel is trying to rebuild capital and make money. If you're licensing something, you're only collecting a % of the money made off of the item. If you're producing and selling it yourself, you're making much more. Plus, Mattel has its own MOTU Origins line coming out for retail sale.

Although, I feel the movie is part of ending its MOTU licenses, I think it has more to do with Mattel owning a popular brand and trying to produce a product themselves to make more money off of it than letting other people make money off of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DGSimo View Post
    4 weeks from now I believe. I guess another question is when is Sony’s quarterly investment call? They usually shuffle things around and make announcements to coincide with these fiscal results.
    I'm not sure when Sony's is, but Mattel's latest conference call is booked for 13th February.

Heroic Warrior
    Yes I have a feeling the Netflix deal is practically done, just finishing up final details before announcing it. And IMHO, I think Netflix is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post
    I think that Super 7 was put on hiatus because of the projected resurgence of MOTU through the animated Netflix series and subsequent Origins line of figures. Mattel didn't want to compete with its own IP in toy sales...

I always want a new MOTU film, but casting an unknown lead was always going to be dodgy. In a way, i am glad this is not happening, yet.

As Krueger pointed out earlier, the March date hasn't seemed relevant for awhile now.

Mattel did use "The Power Returns March 2021" tagline on their banner at 2019 Licensing Expo and in the ad featured in the May/June 2019 issue of License Global Magazine, but the month and year part was dropped in subsequent advertisements.

And while Sony kept including the March release date for MOTU as part of the supplemental information in their last few earnings reports, they did also mention that the release dates were "subject to change."

I'm not concerned at the moment.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Wouldn't it be interesting if Masters of the Universe doesn't end up being a live-action big budget film on Netflix, but rather a big budget live-action series in the vein of Game of Thrones and the upcoming Middle Earth series. Maybe just maybe, that format might actually suit the property more.

Heroic Warrior
    They aren't announcing anything because nothing is happening. There's no way they can make a 2021 release date at this point.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Sad to say. I'm over it. In the case of a Masters movie no news is good news. Silence is golden in this case. I don't see any of the movie news as hopefully or inspiring anymore. Until I see a cast of more than one person, a plausible release date, and set photos..I'm done. I'll take a badly attempted (Ala 87) Masters movie before 10 more years of development hell.
    There is a reason this movie has not been made yet

Time to look in the mirror. Studios havent believed in Masters the way we the fans do (IMO).

If the movie gets made and is at least watchable. That will be successful.
    Fingers cross it's not dead but after 33yrs..33..years what else do you call it..D.E.A.D!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe hasn't been as prominent in the public eye for many, many years.

We all know everything MOTU related that happens because we are fans of the property, but the average joe doesn't know his Shaping Staff from his Cosmic Key.

As more time passes, He-Fans grow older and the younger generation is introduced to things like the MCU and Star Wars - two properties that remain constants in pop-culture.

I can totally understand why Sony, or any studio for that matter, would be hesitant to sink money into a big project like this if it has the potential to become the next John Carter (which, BTW, is a fantastic film IMHO).

The Netflix animated series' are the way to go. Re-introduce the world of He-Man to today's children, gauge MOTU's popularity, and go from there...

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    He-Man and the Masters of the Universe hasn't been as prominent in the public eye for many, many years.

We all know everything MOTU related that happens because we are fans of the property, but the average joe doesn't know his Shaping Staff from his Cosmic Key.

As more time passes, He-Fans grow older and the younger generation is introduced to things like the MCU and Star Wars - two properties that remain constants in pop-culture.

I can totally understand why Sony, or any studio for that matter, would be hesitant to sink money into a big project like this if it has the potential to become the next John Carter (which, BTW, is a fantastic film IMHO).

The Netflix animated series' are the way to go. Re-introduce the world of He-Man to today's children, gauge MOTU's popularity, and go from there...
    I liked John Carter as well. Having a property that has remained stagnant for so long is difficult to revive with a 1 off movie. I also agree, Netflix is definitely an option

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk