Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
Results 676 to 700 of 874

Thread: New Release Date: March 5, 2021 for Sony Pictures' Masters of the Universe film

  1. #676
    Cobra Saboteur Firefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    11,544
    It is too bad Sony actually thought the new MIB had a chance. I figured that would bomb the first moment I heard about it. Whether on Netflix or in theaters, I hope the 1st movie doesn't end in a cliffhanger. It needs a definite ending with a crack open just enough for sequels. If it goes to Netflix, I don't think it gets 3 or more films.

  2. #677
    Heroic Warrior Mick.Jeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Newark, Ohio
    Posts
    213

    New Release Date: March 5, 2021 for Sony Pictures' Masters of the Universe film

    Quote Originally Posted by Triklops 1 View Post
    NO.
    This is a slap in the face to all the fans and people who fought for Masters being prominent in pop culture after more than 30 years and still believe in the property, now more than ever in this comic book era at the movies.
    I echoes the same feelings of many from you.
    1) How could even Sony think this would be a flop, it has the potential of a Marvel flick (Guardians, Avengers off course and Eternals as next!! ) so or Sony do not want make this movie at all or they are just fooling Mattel and all the people involved in this poject, because no, MOTU needs a teathrical release, I mean even Dungeons and Dragons or the Gi Joes are getting movies?
    2) ok so why the **** a MOTU live action should be sacrificed for the streaming service when that's something relatively NEW to the audience. Netflix is doing good with TV series, but it is also approaching a financial crisis due to the emerging rivals like Disney+
    3) I gotta say an MCU Spidey third film projected for a 2021 release may polverize the chances for MOTU having it's moment to shine, worse if these will be released (if ever) in spring / early summer
    4) I dont give a **** of She-ra cartoon being so succesful and the next He_man limited series havng found home at Netflix, does not mean MOTU as a whole property should be all owned by them because they know how, I do not really care for a cohesive universe at all.

    Very bummed.
    SONY You don't treat MOTU this way, such a potential franchise on pair with TF or the JOES, do not even try to downsizing its value.
    Dear Tim Rothman at this point I only hope your poor movie division will be absorbed by Disney, admits you're not doing great if not for the MCU connection. Fooling us for more than 10 years? Enough.
    Wow!! Lots of feelings in that post.

    Netflix is not in financial trouble at all. They are still the leading the streaming service in the world.

    but yes that status is under attack and will be even more when Disney + is release. That is exactly why they need to beef up their Original movie catalogue and what better way to do so than investing in the MOTU franchise.

    Yes the movie theater experience can be fun; but it is expensive. And once Netflix release a show or movie u can watch right now and then re watch as many times as u like. The idea is really starting to grow on me.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #678
    Heroic Warrior Triklops 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Eternos
    Posts
    4,233
    and 5) Dear Sony, with MOTU you not only have a potential cinematic franchise that could span decades of success, you could also have PREQUEL movies i.e about Keldor / Skeletor, which is a bigger pop icon than even Megatron!
    and heard right? Black Cat? Madame Web in development? Is correct? Ma-da-me Web?? what? Well with MOTU you got the She-Ra and another entire franchise you can building up on.

    Netflix is doing great, well at this point sell to Universal, case closed.
    Good luck with GB 3!
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "Good Journey!"
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "The Power of Grayskull Awakens......"
    "Let the Power Returns....!"

  4. #679
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    3,972
    The film is not going to be a cheap, straight-to-DVD Asylum movie. People need to stop with that line of thinking.

  5. #680
    Heroic Warrior manowar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    The film is not going to be a cheap, straight-to-DVD Asylum movie. People need to stop with that line of thinking.
    I'd be interested to see what Netflix does with The Witcher. If anything Netflix produces is going to size up to MOTU, its probably going to be that.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

  6. #681
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    3,972
    The film industry is changing, and the change will become more apparent next year and beyond when everyone else launches their streaming services. This kind of thing is going to happen more and more often.

  7. #682
    Heroic Warrior manowar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    The film industry is changing, and the change will become more apparent next year and beyond when everyone else launches their streaming services. This kind of thing is going to happen more and more often.
    I feel the same way. I believe if the studios want to create any franchises, they won't be making movie trilogies, but creating streaming content. With all the money they pour into creating 1 movie, they can get more for their money producing 6-8 1hr programs.

    I think in the future, movies will be reserved for 1 offs. If sequels are made, they probably won't be on the big screen, but as a streaming series. Movies will be a test for the popularity of a franchise, and streaming will be milking the cash cow.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

  8. #683
    Argenternian heavy-eternium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    BUENOS AIRES,ARGENTINA,SOUTH OF HEAVEN
    Posts
    2,076
    I don't think this is gonna be the typical project that goes to Netflix because the movie is terrible and a potential bomb at the BO, ( in fact the movie is not even at a production stage) this is something new ,a new era.
    It could be the most ambitious project for a streaming service and could be change everything.
    The market is oversaturated, it's inconceivable seeing Aquaman ,Bumblebe or Mary Poppins at the same week or release one or two potential blockbusters by week, it's obvious the movies will get damaging between them.
    It needs a solution and the streaming service is the main phenomenon from this new era of entertaiment.

  9. #684
    Eternian Pimp PIMPS ADAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S.E. Aurora,Colorado
    Posts
    1,259
    Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    I don't think this is gonna be the typical project that goes to Netflix because the movie is terrible and a potential bomb at the BO, ( in fact the movie is not even at a production stage) this is something new ,a new era.
    It could be the most ambitious project for a streaming service and could be change everything.
    The market is oversaturated, it's inconceivable seeing Aquaman ,Bumblebe or Mary Poppins at the same week or release one or two potential blockbusters by week, it's obvious the movies will get damaging between them.
    It needs a solution and the streaming service is the main phenomenon from this new era of entertaiment.
    Or they could have picked different release dates.....
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

  10. #685
    Heroic Warrior manowar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    911
    I actually feel like the various big streaming services are getting more and more ambitious with their programming. HBO had one of the biggest blockbusters in the history of the small screen with GOT. Netflix has had a few winners itself, with shows like The Dark Crystal, and Amazon Prime is producing a prequel to LOTR.

    The streaming services need content. They are being stripped of content by the very studios that once fed them with shows and movies by creating their own streaming services and recalling all their properties. Disney + is the next big player. Movies once planned are being made into short run series. The Mandalorian, Obi-wan, Wanda-Vision...they see how they can take chances with their streaming content they wouldn't on creating a movie.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

  11. #686
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    3,972
    Quote Originally Posted by PIMPS ADAM View Post
    Or they could have picked different release dates.....
    Yes, but the landscape is still getting far too competitive. It’s going to come to the stage when they will literally start eating each other (or it may have already started). We live in the age of the MCU. I love the MCU; really I do, but its also kind of ruining things. No studio wants to invest large, blockbuster-type budgets to films that aren't adaptations of comic books. Literally, most blockbusters that come out now are basically superhero movies of some kind (including the new Joker). And Disney is just running the show now, which is a complete shame. One studio that basically releases about 90% of all tentpole movies. A lot of what heavy-eternium says makes sense, IMO.

  12. #687
    Eternian Pimp PIMPS ADAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S.E. Aurora,Colorado
    Posts
    1,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Yes, but the landscape is still getting far too competitive. It’s going to come to the stage when they will literally start eating each other (or it may have already started). We live in the age of the MCU. I love the MCU; really I do, but its also kind of ruining things. No studio wants to invest large, blockbuster-type budgets to films that aren't adaptations of comic books. Literally, most blockbusters that come out now are basically superhero movies of some kind (including the new Joker). And Disney is just running the show now, which is a complete shame. One studio that basically releases about 90% of all tentpole movies. A lot of what heavy-eternium says makes sense, IMO.

    After 10yrs Sony has never fully intended on releasing this movie. This is not the movie that is going to support our "ambitious streaming avenue" statement. This is an abandonment issue. We the fans deserve better and I'm done making excuses. We've been too forgiving to the studios whom haven't care about the potential of this franchise. I have no expectations for this movie at this point. I'll support whatever the finish product is. But if Sony doesn't believe in this product why should Netflix want it?
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

  13. #688
    Argenternian heavy-eternium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    BUENOS AIRES,ARGENTINA,SOUTH OF HEAVEN
    Posts
    2,076
    The thing is Sony is the smaller of the bigger studios and the budget always is a problem , they don't spending more than 90 million dollars for movies from brands (like MOTU) which they aren't owns and we all know 90m isn't enough for a MOTU movie .
    So they need a partner.

  14. #689
    Court Magician
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    39
    There are those at Netflix who are fans of our beloved 8ps stuff, Masters will be a big project to do but Netflix and family has a big movie making area they just grabbed and some say a one off film I say nay, this masters could be as big as the hobbit if written and directed, and portrayed right. There are a whole lot of people wanting this to see light. Those who are now calling down Sony do so just do mot bring Netflix down they want us to have this cake. I believe is a great way to go if for certain Sony is pulling back. Then so be it.

  15. #690
    Eternian Pimp PIMPS ADAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S.E. Aurora,Colorado
    Posts
    1,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikemarsschamp View Post
    There are those at Netflix who are fans of our beloved 8ps stuff, Masters will be a big project to do but Netflix and family has a big movie making area they just grabbed and some say a one off film I say nay, this masters could be as big as the hobbit if written and directed, and portrayed right. There are a whole lot of people wanting this to see light. Those who are now calling down Sony do so just do mot bring Netflix down they want us to have this cake. I believe is a great way to go if for certain Sony is pulling back. Then so be it.
    Good points. I understand what Sony is doing (Don't like it). Lets hope for a Great movie with decent visuals that doesn't break the bank. The only time a movie flops is when it doesn't make it's money back. I.E. John Cater (yet a GOOD movie IMO).... I hope if true Netflix has all the success with this and Sony re-coups their funds .But even more the fans and audience get a respectable movie worthy of a franchise.
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

  16. #691
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,191
    Quote Originally Posted by PIMPS ADAM View Post
    Good points. I understand what Sony is doing (Don't like it). Lets hope for a Great movie with decent visuals that doesn't break the bank. The only time a movie flops is when it doesn't make it's money back. I.E. John Cater (yet a GOOD movie IMO).... I hope if true Netflix has all the success with this and Sony re-coups their funds .But even more the fans and audience get a respectable movie worthy of a franchise.
    I also thought John Carter was pretty good movie and visually very impressive at capturing the aliens and their world.
    Sometimes even if a movie makes money it isn't very good for the franchise. Just look what the live action movies have done to G.I. Joe.

  17. #692
    Loco Motu Vato ehenyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    10,269
    I've thought about it, and it think at this point the cat's out of the bag: MOTU has been sentenced to Netflix. All the press coverage has been about Rothman painting this movie as a potential flop. Even if it does make it to the theaters, it likely will not have the necessary marketing support and the press/public will see it as a lame duck. All because Rothman has publicly expressed his lack of confidence in it.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

  18. #693
    Heroic Warrior Mick.Jeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Newark, Ohio
    Posts
    213
    Can those out there that keep insinuating because there may not be a theater release that it will done cheaply please explain ur reasoning or list your references for that info?

    This isn’t the 90s were direct to video meant “B” grade quality special effects. The more I hear those whining about this the more I hope for a Netflix release. Those not in support of this have not presented any contentions based in fact everything is just the feeling of those individuals.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #694
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    3,972
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick.Jeep View Post
    Can those out there that keep insinuating because there may not be a theater release that it will done cheaply please explain ur reasoning or list your references for that info?

    This isn’t the 90s were direct to video meant “B” grade quality special effects. The more I hear those whining about this the more I hope for a Netflix release. Those not in support of this have not presented any contentions based in fact everything is just the feeling of those individuals.
    I agree. I really don't get this talk. Even the original article states that the film will be "pricey". Netflix have declared their intentions to release one tentpole-sized film with international appeal every quarter. The Irishman has a budget of 160 million, 6 Underground has a budget of 150 million. Those aren't cheap, low budget movies. If the deal happens, I assume MOTU will be one of those tentpole films. I really recommend a lot of people go back and read the original Hollywood Reporter article, and then Jeff Sneider's write-up of the situation on Collider.

  20. #695
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    East York, Ontario
    Posts
    1,993
    I hope in the end they just film the movie and then decide how the film will be distributed. Probably wouldn't happen that way, but I know since the ending of 2020 going into 2021 is suppose to be this give resurgence of MOTU with the Origins toyline and the Kevin Smith / Netflix anime series leading up to the movie in March 2021. So, with that said, I'm hoping we don't get another delay with this movie. Man, the thing was suppose to come out this December. When they talk about a movie project being in development hell, MOTU says "hold my Eternian Brew".

  21. #696
    Heroic Warrior King Kahn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    nashville, tn
    Posts
    5,829
    I am good with Netflix being the House of He-Man.

    There are some huge MOTU fans at Netflix.

    They are already doing 2 series based on the property, he-man and she-ra

    They have wider distribution and audiences than most movies will ever get.

    I see this as a good thing sans the obvious budget issues but if the Netflix people will have a say in things creatively we are in good hands.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

  22. #697
    Heroic Warrior IceyCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Castle Chill
    Posts
    2,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    It is too bad Sony actually thought the new MIB had a chance. I figured that would bomb the first moment I heard about it. Whether on Netflix or in theaters, I hope the 1st movie doesn't end in a cliffhanger. It needs a definite ending with a crack open just enough for sequels. If it goes to Netflix, I don't think it gets 3 or more films.
    The new MiB was SO cringe-y. I was REALLY disappointed.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

  23. #698
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    871
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick.Jeep View Post
    Can those out there that keep insinuating because there may not be a theater release that it will done cheaply please explain ur reasoning or list your references for that info?

    This isn’t the 90s were direct to video meant “B” grade quality special effects. The more I hear those whining about this the more I hope for a Netflix release. Those not in support of this have not presented any contentions based in fact everything is just the feeling of those individuals.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death Note.

    JUST FYI, nothing with Netflix is official or confirmed.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

    -CM Punk

  24. #699
    President of Primus Ornclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Tri-Solar System
    Posts
    5,862
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Yes, but the landscape is still getting far too competitive. It’s going to come to the stage when they will literally start eating each other (or it may have already started).
    EATING each other??

    Like... the Zombie Apocalypse?!?

    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    We live in the age of the MCU. I love the MCU; really I do, but its also kind of ruining things. No studio wants to invest large, blockbuster-type budgets to films that aren't adaptations of comic books. Literally, most blockbusters that come out now are basically superhero movies of some kind (including the new Joker). And Disney is just running the show now, which is a complete shame. One studio that basically releases about 90% of all tentpole movies. A lot of what heavy-eternium says makes sense, IMO.
    Don't forget about Mission Impossible, Grinch, Jurassic World, John Wick, Toy Story, Hobbs & Shaw, How to Train Your Dragon and the Lion King!


    Sorry Krueger, I'm just joshin' with you. A conversation on the word "literally" came up in a topic in the Other Forum and I felt compelled to post here.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

  25. #700
    Heroic Warrior manowar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    911
    The thing with the MCU is they have a treasure trove of material to adapt from the comics. Adapting existing materials, like books, comics, etc. aids with creating a movie because you've already have an established story that just needs to be fleshed out into physically being. Easier said than done, especially when so many books have also become terrible movies.
    He-man has a set of great characters, but its creating that story that's the problem. When you look at the original movie, they took the characters and threw everything else out the window. Even reading some of the leaked scripts, they may be creating elaborate stories, but once again, they're abandoning the various incarnations of masters of the universe and recreating a world inhabited by these characters. They are so hard pressed to come up with something, it truly is a gamble if they come up with anything good.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •