Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: New Release Date: March 5, 2021 for Sony Pictures' Masters of the Universe film

It reminds me of back in the day, when you heard that a movie was "going straight to video", it was a death sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    It reminds me of back in the day, when you heard that a movie was "going straight to video", it was a death sentence.
    Yeah, that still weirds me out... when you see that some major actor/actress made a movie that you never heard of and find out its because it never made it to distribution.

At this point, I feel like Netflix might be a good option. I almost feel like SONY will try to make something as cheaply as possible and hope for a big return. Selling it may give the franchise a chance to get made, and maybe get a little more funding and creativity than it would at SONY.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by manowar View Post
    Selling it may give the franchise a chance to get made, and maybe get a little more funding and creativity than it would at SONY.
    I hope you're right, right now I see it as a movie with smaller budget and production values because of it. Also potentially bad reputation, "look, they didn't believe in it, so it can't be good".

Court Magician

Soo frustrated

Quote Originally Posted by Chris85 View Post
    I hope you're right, right now I see it as a movie with smaller budget and production values because of it. Also potentially bad reputation, "look, they didn't believe in it, so it can't be good".
    Personally i'm on the side of: If you aren't going to do this right. Don't do it at all! This movie is not designed for a small budget. If Sony isn't willing to do it right, then they need to give it up and Mattel needs to find someone who will. The MOTU Brand has a HUGE opportunity to take the box office by storm. The fact that Sony can't see that is just depressing. People are tired of the typical Star Wars movie, the 20 generic super-hero movies a year. Even though He-Man is an iconic hero, what the movie would bring is a different world to play in. Characters the big screen has never seen the likes of before.

This movie deserves to be done right and to be setup like a true franchise.

Maybe my mind is in the clouds, but i just don't see how this movie could fail if made in Eternia and great special effects. Hell. China LOVES movies w/ special effects! Just look at how Aquaman did. AQUAMAN FFS!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfootRULES View Post
    how come? i think Netflix is the most logical option.
    Not everyone has Netflix, so you are automatically limiting your viewing audience. And I don't think too many people will start subscribing to Netflix simply to see the movie.

The best way to revive interest in the brand, I think, is a theater release with a good marketing campaign behind it. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, though.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    Not everyone has Netflix, so you are automatically limiting your viewing audience. And I don't think too many people will start subscribing to Netflix simply to see the movie.

The best way to revive interest in the brand, I think, is a theater release with a good marketing campaign behind it. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, though.
    That was my thought too, if this is the route they're going then sod the movie altogether and use the budget on a live action TV show, that'd get more people talking than a " straight to video" movie. Otherwise go all out and give the movie the release it deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post

I'm all about a theatrical release too, unless this thing morphs into a series, which I could get behind. Regarding Netflix, though, they have around 139 million subscribers, which can be households that share an account. Endgame is the highest grossing film of all time and it's estimated that around 180-190 million people saw Endgame during it's main run (until mid-June/ end of June). Those are individuals, though, and not households with Netflix's number. I don't think a Netflix release would garner the same attention as a theatrical release but I don't know that the audience is terribly limited given the potential viewership.
    I serve up lots of hot, fresh action figure reviews on Action Figure Barbecue!

"We have a Ram-Man!"

Quote Originally Posted by davelove81 View Post
    That was my thought too, if this is the route they're going then sod the movie altogether and use the budget on a live action TV show, that'd get more people talking than a " straight to video" movie. Otherwise go all out and give the movie the release it deserves.
    Exactly. Netflix original series create buzz...but Netflix original movies do not.
    Stranger Things, Ozark, 13 Reasons Why....all buzz.
    Who talks about any of the movies on Netflix?

Forget the characters...just seeing Eternia would draw people to the theaters. (Remember Avatar?). That movie wasn't great...it didn't have any characters that you knew (or even care about after the fact), but it's instantly recognizable because Pandora itself was a character. Eternia can do that...and it needs to be shown on giant screens and seen on giant screens to really be immersive.

Heroic Warrior
    But what if it bombs at the box office?

Isn't The Irishman going to cinemas? I think it is for a few weeks, and then it’s going to Netflix. I can imagine a similar scenario for MOTU. If the film is looking good and creates good buzz, I think Sony would be foolish not to at least give it a limited release.

As I said before, it’s the arrangement of the deal itself that causes me confusion. I'm not quite sure how it works. Will Sony basically pay for the film themselves, and then sell it (obviously making a bit themselves) to Netflix? Or will Netflix be the bill payers, and Sony physically makes it? Either way, from everything I've read, it will still be a Sony Pictures production.

One of the biggest hurdles here is marketing, and from the article it seems that's actually what's worrying Sony the most, rather than the film itself. Marketing blockbusters has become ridiculously expensive. Studios spend 150 million+ to make a film, and then they have to spend the same amount just to market it. It’s ludicrous, really. If Sony makes the film, then sells it to Netflix, obviously they don't really have to worry about a very pricey marketing campaign. I believe that's why they're mulling this over.

I think one of two things will happen: Either Sony will partner up with another studio, or they will go to Netflix.

Seriously, one day, someone needs to write an in-depth book about MOTU's journey to the big screen. Probably be better than the film itself.
    Last edited by Krueger; October 11, 2019 at 11:15am.

New Release Date: March 5, 2021 for Sony Pictures' Masters of the Universe film

I Don’t think selling the movie to Netflix means a smaller budget I think Sony is looking for more money. Meaning Sony ideally wants to make the movie but only wants to spend X amount and bringing in Netflix as the distributor would bring in more money adding to the budget.

Also could this have been something that has been in the works prior to Noah’s casting? And casting Noah was Netflix’s idea or demand for a deal? This could be premature thinking as no actual deal has been announced/ finalized (that we know of).

In my opinion this could be good for both as Sony and Netflix need a franchise to be successful to stay relevant. Sony has been putting out junk for a while. As for Netflix they are currently the leading streaming service, for now. They need something big due to the Disney + service coming in November, which brings all the mcu movies and much more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bigfootRULES View Post
    But what if it bombs at the box office?
    Then it bombs, and we as fans are no worse off than we were a year ago I honestly don't see why it would though? What CANT a good director do with motu?

Quote Originally Posted by Mick.Jeep View Post
    I Don’t think selling the movie to Netflix means a smaller budget I think Sony is looking for more money. Meaning Sony ideally wants to make the movie but only wants to spend X amount and bringing in Netflix as the distributor would bring in more money adding to the budget.

Also could this have been something that has been in the works prior to Noah’s casting? And casting Noah was Netflix’s idea or demand for a deal? This could be premature thinking as no actual deal has been announced/ finalized (that we know of).

In my opinion this could be good for both as Sony and Netflix need a franchise to be successful to stay relevant. Sony has been putting out junk for a while. As for Netflix they are currently the leading streaming service, for now. They need something big due to the Disney + service coming in November, which brings all the mcu movies and much more.
    Yeah, so far, the only real negative I can see in this whole thing is that it may not go to cinemas. I don't know where people are getting that the film will now be done on the cheap from, though. The Hollywood Reporter article states that the MOTU movie will be pricey and that Sony wants to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Isn't The Irishman going to cinemas? I think it is for a few weeks, and then it’s going to Netflix. I can imagine a similar scenario for MOTU. If the film is looking good and creates good buzz, I think Sony would be foolish not to at least give it a limited release.

As I said before, it’s the arrangement of the deal itself that causes me confusion. I'm not quite sure how it works. Will Sony basically pay for the film themselves, and then sell it (obviously making a bit themselves) to Netflix? Or will Netflix be the bill payers, and Sony physically makes it? Either way, from everything I've read, it will still be a Sony Pictures production.
    From what I understood from the article, SONY is worried about spending all kinds of money making MOTU and not getting a return on their investment, so they might just sell the movie rights to Netflix so they're taking the chance they can make something that actually makes them money. This way, SONY actually recoups some money from the sale, and doesn't dump millions of dollars into a movie that doesn't make it back and then some.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Heroic Warrior
    I like the idea of Netflix getting the movie. I figure it will have a limited theatrical release and then go to Netflix. One month of Netflix is cheaper than a movie ticket so I don't think it limits distribution/viewability at all.

Heroic Warrior

One of the biggest hurdles here is marketing, and from the article it seems that's actually what's worrying Sony the most, rather than the film itself. Marketing blockbusters has become ridiculously expensive. Studios spend 150 million+ to make a film, and then they have to spend the same amount just to market it. It’s ludicrous, really. If Sony makes the film, then sells it to Netflix, obviously they don't really have to worry about a very pricey marketing campaign. I believe that's why they're mulling this over.

I think one of two things will happen: Either Sony will partner up with another studio, or they will go to Netflix.

Seriously, one day, someone needs to write an in-depth book about MOTU's journey to the big screen. Probably be better than the film itself.
    That's what i was thinking.

Yeah, so far, the only real negative I can see in this whole thing is that it may not go to cinemas. I don't know where people are getting that the film will now be done on the cheap from, though. The Hollywood Reporter article states that the MOTU movie will be pricey and that Sony wants to make it.
    That is a massive negative though. I understand where you're coming from though , and Reading some of the posts recently have made me feel a bit less deflated about the movie being Netflix only, but you must admit we'd all unanimously PREFER, the big screen experience.

Heroic Warrior
    Yeah given the amount of money Amazon, Netflix, and Disney+ spend on their shows, I have no worries that MOTU will be a cheap movie.

Quote Originally Posted by davelove81 View Post
    That is a massive negative though. I understand where you're coming from though , and Reading some of the posts recently have made me feel a bit less deflated about the movie being Netflix only, but you must admit we'd all unanimously PREFER, the big screen experience.
    Of course, I completely understand. I love the cinema; it’s as simple as that. You get full-on cinema movies, and MOTU should definitely be one. However, this isn't the end of the world, and it in no way implies a cheap low budget movie. I think quite the opposite. First and foremost, I want a good, solid movie.

Heroic slave of time man-at-work's Avatar
    At first glance, if that agreement with Netflix means that the movie will be not shown at theaters (or only limited theaters distribution) then I'm not happy with that. I just remember how several month ago we read that this would be a big budget Marvel-like movie. Now it sounds like they're downsizing. As someone said in this thread, do it right or don't do it at all. I don't understand how in a decade we've had those Marvel ans Star Wars movies, but not a MOTU Movie. Ok, if He-man's world and story is considered risky crap, something to laugh at, etc., that's OK, don't do this, BUT THEN STOP CREATING EXPECTATIONS, file this project and never talk about it again, period!
    Wish list of MOTUC figures: Sagitar, Red Beast, Red Shadow, Red Knight, Hans Hammerholder, Ra-Jar

Sony and Disney work with each other with Spider-Man...I wonder if this is a situation where we could see them collaborate again. I know there seemed to have been some turmoil over Spidey but they appear to have worked it out.

Let's face it...Disney is a marketing machine and if the marketing is a concern, it's a no-brainer for Sony. (Disney puts the first film over the top and then Sony has a win-win situation for a sequel).

I am pretty sure it would get a limited theatrical release because it's required for Academy Award consideration. And while MOTU probably won't be gunning for Best Picture, there's plenty of categories it could win (production design, costume, makeup, special effects, acting...).

I don't see the downsides honestly. Young people today don't even go to theaters. And while I personally enjoy the theatrical experience, it doesn't guarantee any broader cultural impact. If you think about casual fans (which MOTU has to win over) these big blockbusters are so ephemeral and inconsequential. I am a casual Marvel fan, I went to see a lot of Marvel movies. For 99% of them I didn't remember anything, nor did I care. It was just two hours of fun, and then it's on to the next thing. By the time we got to Thanos, I could not tell you the plot of Avengers Endgame to save my life. Actually just now, I had to Google that title.

Today's appeal is in memes and similar types of social-network relevance. Netflix is good at this. People still talk about Bandersnatch. Birdbox is used in so many memes. Netflix is great because it is de-facto the default streaming platform. It has more users than any other (except YouTube, which is not really in the same category). But at the same time, Netflix is getting serious competition, most notably from Disney. So — they are big and they need to try harder at the same time. That's great for us.

Now, as long as they actually agree on this...

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    I am pretty sure it would get a limited theatrical release because it's required for Academy Award consideration. And while MOTU probably won't be gunning for Best Picture, there's plenty of categories it could win (production design, costume, makeup, special effects, acting...).

I don't see the downsides honestly. Young people today don't even go to theaters. And while I personally enjoy the theatrical experience, it doesn't guarantee any broader cultural impact. If you think about casual fans (which MOTU has to win over) these big blockbusters are so ephemeral and inconsequential. I am a casual Marvel fan, I went to see a lot of Marvel movies. For 99% of them I didn't remember anything, nor did I care. It was just two hours of fun, and then it's on to the next thing. By the time we got to Thanos, I could not tell you the plot of Avengers Endgame to save my life. Actually just now, I had to Google that title.

Today's appeal is in memes and similar types of social-network relevance. Netflix is good at this. People still talk about Bandersnatch. Birdbox is used in so many memes. Netflix is great because it is de-facto the default streaming platform. It has more users than any other (except YouTube, which is not really in the same category). But at the same time, Netflix is getting serious competition, most notably from Disney. So — they are big and they need to try harder at the same time. That's great for us.

Now, as long as they actually agree on this...
    Young people don't go to see movies in theatres? Are you kidding me?? Do you really think Avengers would have been the cultural box office juggernaut icon had it only been put on Netflix instead of a wide theatrical release??

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Young people don't go to see movies in theatres? Are you kidding me?? Do you really think Avengers would have been the cultural box office juggernaut icon had it only been put on Netflix instead of a wide theatrical release??
    I agree that Avengers would not have been big if it was just put on Netflix. However, in my circle of friends, many of them rarely go to the movie theater. They have kids and are just busy with all sorts of activities and also seeing a movie as a family can get pricey. They typically say we will just wait for it to be on Netflix. I do the same was well for several movies. I
    think Netflix and Amazon are slowly becoming great alternatives to movie theaters, especially if you have a good tv/surround sound setup at your home.

NO.
    This is a slap in the face to all the fans and people who fought for Masters being prominent in pop culture after more than 30 years and still believe in the property, now more than ever in this comic book era at the movies.
    I echoes the same feelings of many from you.
    1) How could even Sony think this would be a flop, it has the potential of a Marvel flick (Guardians, Avengers off course and Eternals as next!! ) so or Sony do not want make this movie at all or they are just fooling Mattel and all the people involved in this poject, because no, MOTU needs a teathrical release, I mean even Dungeons and Dragons or the Gi Joes are getting movies?
    2) ok so why the **** a MOTU live action should be sacrificed for the streaming service when that's something relatively NEW to the audience. Netflix is doing good with TV series, but it is also approaching a financial crisis due to the emerging rivals like Disney+
    3) I gotta say an MCU Spidey third film projected for a 2021 release may polverize the chances for MOTU having it's moment to shine, worse if these will be released (if ever) in spring / early summer
    4) I dont give a **** of She-ra cartoon being so succesful and the next He_man limited series havng found home at Netflix, does not mean MOTU as a whole property should be all owned by them because they know how, I do not really care for a cohesive universe at all.

Very bummed.
    SONY You don't treat MOTU this way, such a potential franchise on pair with TF or the JOES, do not even try to downsizing its value.
    Dear Tim Rothman at this point I only hope your poor movie division will be absorbed by Disney, admits you're not doing great if not for the MCU connection. Fooling us for more than 10 years? Enough.
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "Good Journey!"
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "The Power of Grayskull Awakens......"
    "Let the Power Returns....!"