Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536

Thread: New Release Date: March 5, 2021 for Sony Pictures' Masters of the Universe film

I think Alan Villanueva (Costume Concept Artist) is a recent add to the MOTU IMDb page. He's following Ironhead Studio on Instagram. Krueger mentioned that studio in a post a few pages back. Ann Foley is following him.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3684923/
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Yeah, I saw this yesterday. Ann Foley started following him a week or so ago. So very recently. So I guess this implies work is still underway. I think the two factors that are to blame for us not hearing anything as of late is this whole Netflix thing, and Noah Centineo's knee surgery. It’s a bit of a coincidence that when those two news articles broke (which were very close together), everything suddenly went quiet. As of now, I think one of three things will happen:

1. Sony will partner with Netflix and make the movie (most likeliest, IMO)
    2. Sony will partner with another studio (probably Universal because of the whole MOTU connection they already have)
    3. Sony will call it a day and relinquish the rights

Out of those three scenarios, I can see the Netflix one being the most likely.

Option 4: Sony will attempt to go it alone but delay the project for at least another year.

Basically the same holding pattern we have seen for the last 10+ years with Sony. This is the most likely outcome though few people here want to admit it. Mattel is too timid to play hardball with Sony and force them to either make the movie or give up the rights. Mattel is content to just collect the million dollars in free money Sony is paying them to sit on the property. That is about the extent of it. Maybe they are waiting for the cartoon to be a hit before anyone makes any moves.

Quote Originally Posted by InThe80s View Post
    Option 4: Sony will attempt to go it alone but delay the project for at least another year.

Basically the same holding pattern we have seen for the last 10+ years with Sony. This is the most likely outcome though few people here want to admit it.
    Not only do I admit it, I fully expect it.

I think that a live-action Bravestaar is more likely at this point... (staring the Rock, of course )

Quote Originally Posted by InThe80s View Post
    Mattel is too timid to play hardball with Sony and force them to either make the movie or give up the rights. Mattel is content to just collect the million dollars in free money Sony is paying them to sit on the property. That is about the extent of it. Maybe they are waiting for the cartoon to be a hit before anyone makes any moves.
    Yes. Earlier in this thread I suggested that Sony is waiting to see the reaction to the new Netflix cartoon before moving forward with a big-budget motion picture.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

I think SONY's repeated bombs at the box office force them to have these constant knee jerk reactions that make them 2nd guess everything they're working on. They seem to do well with Spiderman and James Bond, with 1 or 2 other franchises doing well. In between are bombs that they just can't seem to develop. Its like they're waiting for a series of profitable movies for themselves before they take a chance on making something that could potentially bomb.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Adam Née just posted on Instagram. “To the faithful Heman fans who keep reaching out; a lot of very cool things are in the works. I wish I could say more now but you just have to be patient a bit longer. We appreciate you and can’t wait to share the world we’re building. “

There was an image of Classic He-man, Hordak and Snakeface.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffcope View Post
    Adam Née just posted on Instagram. “To the faithful Heman fans who keep reaching out; a lot of very cool things are in the works. I wish I could say more now but you just have to be patient a bit longer. We appreciate you and can’t wait to share the world we’re building. “

There was an image of Classic He-man, Hordak and Snakeface.
    Just saw this. It's very interesting that he posted the image of those three. I get He-Man, but it seems like the Horde and Snake Men might appear in the movie

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    Just saw this. It's very interesting that he posted the image of those three. I get He-Man, but it seems like the Horde and Snake Men might appear in the movie
    I thought that at first, but I think we should be cautious not to read too much into it.

I’m just glad to hear work is happening behind the scenes.

Yeah, this is quite a relief, mostly because it shows the Nee Brothers haven't left and are still very much on this thing. Ann Foley and Phil Boutte️️️, costume designer and assistant costume designer, also commented (albeit not with words). "Can't wait to share the world we're building". That statement makes me excited. I guess the main hold-ups are Noah's knee injury/recovery, and financing (which is where the whole Netflix deal comes in). I believe the picture is in Adam Nee's house, so these appear to be from his personal collection. As a result, yes, I wouldn't read too much into it.

I guess Adam Nee finally felt the need to do this because he's probably been getting hounded non-stop the last couple of months. Good, it worked.
    Last edited by Krueger; December 4, 2019 at 09:25pm.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    That's reassuring, glad Adam Nee has posted and also that he is still attached to the project.

At this point, I think I'd prefer an actor change, if they are taking their time with the film and Noah is injured, they should get someone else to play He-Man, I think a lot of people would prefer that anyway.
    MOTUC WISHLIST - Karg | Lady Slther | Kothos | Staghorn | Sorceress of Serpos Teela | Hunga the Harpy | Kittrina | Dylamug | Hawke | Angast | Zilora | Artilla | Quakke | Robo-Woman | Great Black Wizard | Enchantress | Red Beast | Delora | DC He-Man | DC Skeletor | Lodar | Fang-Or | Mini Comics Tri-Klops | Filmation Jitsu, Frosta & Kobra Khan | Hans Hammer Holder | Granita |

Interesting that he used the term "world building".

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Interesting that he used the term "world building".
    What do you find interesting about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    What do you find interesting about this?
    That they're actually creating a world instead of going the cheap way and filming on location on recycled GOT sets also, they they're still working on it even though nothing's been filmed.

Quote Originally Posted by manowar View Post
    That they're actually creating a world instead of going the cheap way and filming on location on recycled GOT sets also, they they're still working on it even though nothing's been filmed.

I always expected that. World building is the best thing about MOTU. World and also the ensemble of characters. How imaginative and rich those are. I assume they will lean into that a lot.

"World creating" sounds more like a series than a single motion picture...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!