Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast

Thread: New Release Date: March 5, 2021 for Sony Pictures' Masters of the Universe film

Master of New Adventures!
    Look at that photo of him and tell me that this is really what fandom imagines as He-man, the Most Powerful Man in the Universe. How is he going to battle Skeletor when he needs to worry about getting back to class in time after recess?

Every time a studio tries to world build from their first film, hinting at a sequel and the like, most of the time (as in over 90% of the time) it blows up in their face and the film flops, and thus, no sequel ever comes to light. Everyone wants to be Marvel Studios nowadays, but its just not feasible over 90% of the time. With MOTU, concentrate on making one really good film that stands on its own two feet. Then, if the film is a success, worry about a possible trilogy. All efforts should be on making a good film first and foremost.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Every time a studio tries to world build from their first film, hinting at a sequel and the like, most of the time (as in over 90% of the time) it blows up in their face and the film flops, and thus, no sequel ever comes to light. Everyone wants to be Marvel Studios nowadays, but its just not feasible over 90% of the time. With MOTU, concentrate on making one really good film that stands on its own two feet. Then, if the film is a success, worry about a possible trilogy. All efforts should be on making a good film first and foremost.
    I agree for the most part. Marvel created some really great stand-alone movies in Iron Man and Hulk. But it was their credit scenes that added the notion of a universe/trilogy/whatever. I think it would be great if Sony/Netflix did the same - crafted a really good He-Man movie that could stand on its own, then added a scene at the end of the credits for anticipation of a sequel. That way, if the movie for some reason bombs, most of us can ignore the sequel at the end of the credits.

It wasn’t until later movies that the credit scenes took on a much more involved role than just a tease in hopes of more.
    Factions Completed: Heroic Warriors/Evil Warriors/Evil Horde/Snake Men

However, still hoping for more Horde (Horde Mummy, Gore-Tusk, etc.)
    and Snake Men (Lady Slither, Fang-Or, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by MLBfan View Post
    I agree for the most part. Marvel created some really great stand-alone movies in Iron Man and Hulk. But it was their credit scenes that added the notion of a universe/trilogy/whatever. I think it would be great if Sony/Netflix did the same - crafted a really good He-Man movie that could stand on its own, then added a scene at the end of the credits for anticipation of a sequel. That way, if the movie for some reason bombs, most of us can ignore the sequel at the end of the credits.

It wasn’t until later movies that the credit scenes took on a much more involved role than just a tease in hopes of more.

"I'll Be Back!"
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Exactly. We already have a standalone He-Man movie with a hint at sequel after credits.
    I don't mind trilogies when they're adaptations of book series.
    However I agree that it feels nice when every movie has some closure.
    Last edited by Chris85; November 5, 2019 at 04:17am.

‹ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    See: Jem and the Holograms. Fans complained about all of the elements that were missing, e.g. the remote micro-projector earrings, the hologram illusions, a rival band, etc. and Jon Chu's response is that those things were planned for future films. Apparently, it did not occur to him that sequels are not guaranteed, and are contingent upon the first film performing well, and perhaps he should not rely on future films that are not promised to tell a proper story.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    See: Jem and the Holograms. Fans complained about all of the elements that were missing, e.g. the remote micro-projector earrings, the hologram illusions, a rival band, etc. and Jon Chu's response is that those things were planned for future films. Apparently, it did not occur to him that sequels are not guaranteed, and are contingent upon the first film performing well, and perhaps he should not rely on future films that are not promised to tell a proper story.
    That movie was a piece of ****. He literally used rhythmic YouTube videos to pad out the screentime. And fans sending in their fan videos about the cartoon used to talk about the characters in the movie, and it made no sense.

Not including those elements was the least of that movie's problems.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

I get what you guys mean about not having a trilogy but my fear is that if they were to just make one good movie, it would be rushed and turn out like crap. This movie is very intricate and in my opinion is the reason it's taken this long to be made. It MUST be made by a fan of MOTU or at least have a fan on hand to bounce questions and ideas off. Otherwise, the directors are going to think putting their own spin on it will do it good when it's really a bad decision because they're not knowledgable enough. Plus, if they were going to introduce all these characters, they'd never be able to do it the right way in one movie even if some of them wouldn't have big roles. Having a trilogy could encompass Skeletor and his army, Hordak and his army and then King Hsss and his army with a final battle of all of them at the end of the last one. You just have to step it up a little each movie. I think The Lord of the Rings movies did this pretty well.

Heroic Warrior
    Adam Nee changed his "bio" on his Instagram page. He changed writer/director of Band of Robbers/ Masters of the Universe to something else. This probably doesn't mean anything, but I must say I have bad feeling about this.

Quote Originally Posted by ShangTs View Post
    Adam Nee changed his "bio" on his Instagram page. He changed writer/director of Band of Robbers/ Masters of the Universe to something else. This probably doesn't mean anything, but I must say I have bad feeling about this.

I saw that as well. I think if MOTU GOES to Netflix, they will want to choose the director for the movie. I wouldn’t be surprised if Netflix puts Benioff & Weiss from GOT on the project since they walked away from Disney shortly after signing a large deal wit Netflix.

Yeah, I did see that, too. Thing is, he also took off Band of Robbers. Maybe its a word count issue, couldn't also fit writer/director of Band of Robbers and Masters of the Universe along with his new bio? Reaching somewhat, I know, but itís a possibility. What gives me hope is that, as I said, he also took off Band of Robbers, which leads me to believe it could be something as innocent as a word count issue. I know his bio before, although I can't remember it (something about Shawshank Redemption, and then underneath it he put writer/director of blah-blah-blah) wasn't as long.

This is getting ridiculous, though. Looking at his bio and the amount of words.
    Last edited by Krueger; November 6, 2019 at 12:09pm.

Heroic Warrior
    So I know it's a different studio and franchise, but there has been some casting news for The Batman, which is currently slated to be released in June 2021. I would think there has to be casting news for MOTU as well. Maybe they are holding off until this whole Sony/Netflix thing gets resolved?

Quote Originally Posted by Palazzolor View Post
    I get what you guys mean about not having a trilogy but my fear is that if they were to just make one good movie, it would be rushed and turn out like crap. This movie is very intricate and in my opinion is the reason it's taken this long to be made. It MUST be made by a fan of MOTU or at least have a fan on hand to bounce questions and ideas off. Otherwise, the directors are going to think putting their own spin on it will do it good when it's really a bad decision because they're not knowledgable enough. Plus, if they were going to introduce all these characters, they'd never be able to do it the right way in one movie even if some of them wouldn't have big roles. Having a trilogy could encompass Skeletor and his army, Hordak and his army and then King Hsss and his army with a final battle of all of them at the end of the last one. You just have to step it up a little each movie. I think The Lord of the Rings movies did this pretty well.
    They only need to follow your advice, if their goal is to please you, and you only. But they actually want to make money. And even if you see the film day and night, they won’t be able to make money.

They have to appeal to a wide audience to make money. If they wanted to go the “please the ultra fan boys route”, not just you, they would still lose. We super fans can’t even agree on things like if Battlecat should talk, and should they even have Prince Adam transform into he-man.

What you (and I) want will never get made. See: Transformers, G.I. Joe, TMNT.

Well, you've got Noah and the whole reconstructive surgery thing. That could literally take him out for about 6 months. I don't know what's happening with regards to that. It’s quite possible that's put a further spanner in the works. Either way, we'll know soon enough. But yeah, the Noah issue could either result in yet another delay, or for him to be recast. It’s all up to Sony, I suppose (or maybe now Netflix, too).

Blame Noah.

Blame Noah.
    He really has caused a whole flood of problems.

Sorry.....
    Check out my Masters of the Universe cartoon review site at https://hemanmotu.wordpress.com/!

Well, you've got Noah and the whole reconstructive surgery thing. That could literally take him out for about 6 months. I don't know what's happening with regards to that. It’s quite possible that's put a further spanner in the works. Either way, we'll know soon enough. But yeah, the Noah issue could either result in yet another delay, or for him to be recast. It’s all up to Sony, I suppose (or maybe now Netflix, too).

Blame Noah.
    And these types of delays can then cascade, like suddenly the Nee Brothers have to move on to other projects and we start all over again...

I went from being excited, to cautiously excited, to somewhat hopeful....and now? I just hope it gets cancelled. I'd rather it not be made than be made and bomb. The MOTU name doesn't need to be smeared any more than it already is.
    Odd Man Out

Quote Originally Posted by Creedog View Post
    And these types of delays can then cascade, like suddenly the Nee Brothers have to move on to other projects and we start all over again...
    I've always maintained that if the Nee Brothers call it a day, Sony just needs to throw in the towel and Mattel need to get the property as far away from Tom Rothman as possible. With how close it’s been lately to actually getting made, a lead actor cast, new members being hired, filming dates, directors who actually seem to care and who've stuck around for over 1 1/2 years. If after all that, and they still don't pull the trigger? To me, that basically means they never will. Hopefully it won't come to that. I think what's happening is this whole Netflix affair has put a little stopper in place. Personally, I think it will happen, but this is a deal worth hundreds of millions of dollars, so it won't happen over night. A month ago we were told the talks were at an early stage. They've obviously moved on since then. Hopefully in the right direction.

I reckon by next month, possibly early in the month, we'll know our fate. Not long.

Heroic Warrior
    When push comes to shove, I simply can't see Tom Rothman giving unproven filmmakers like the Nee Brothers $150 million.

Here we are in November 2019. The movie is supposed to be out in 2021. And the film still has no green light.

The Mortal Kombat reboot is another project that's been in development hell for YEARS. But at least they started filming it. The director and cast are done. And it's coming out in the same year.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    What if everything has been a smoke and mirrors act and MOTU is already filming or in post production? And we've been Blue Harvested? I honestly don't think it's possible in today's society with today's tech, but What If?...
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Creator of Kaiju Kaos.

And yet he had the good sense not to show up at Power-Con and accept my arm wrestling challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by OwenMorton View Post
    He really has caused a whole flood of problems.

Sorry.....
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by baileyrecords View Post
    What if everything has been a smoke and mirrors act and MOTU is already filming or in post production? And we've been Blue Harvested? I honestly don't think it's possible in today's society with today's tech, but What If?...
    Speaking of smoke, I think you'd better be careful about what you're smoking.

So this is gonna use a balance of practical and new effects combined?
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Look, I could be completely wrong. But after having worked in the business for close to forty years it's very difficult for me to believe that any studio is going to invest $150 million into a MOTU film, let alone with untried and unproven directors and with a past history of a MOTU film underperforming. Again, I could be completely wrong and I hope I am, but, sad to say, it's a possible formula for the collapse of a studio imo.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie downer; just realistic, and it breaks my heart to see fandom getting all built up about the film year after year only to see their hopes dashed.

Please don't kill the messenger.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; November 9, 2019 at 03:15pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Look, I could be completely wrong. But after having worked in the business for close to forty years it's very difficult for me to believe that any studio is going to invest $150 million into a MOTU film, let alone with untried and unproven directors and with a past history of a MOTU film underperforming. Again, I could be completely wrong and I hope I am, but, sad to say, it's a possible formula for the collapse of a studio imo.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie downer; just realistic, and it breaks my heart to see fandom getting all built up about the film year after year only to see their hopes dashed.

Please don't kill the messenger.
    And two failed cartoon shows and toylines. I enjoyed both shows and the toys but they weren't exactly the major successed Mattel wanted.

Well, in fairness you need to realize that NA received a 65-episodes pick-up. This was so the series could be 'stripped' five days a week. A traditional Saturday morning television series, like it's successor, receives a thirteen-episode per season pick-up. Thus, NA essentially had a five season pick-up.

You are certainly correct that toy revenues for NA were nowhere near what MOTU was, but it still performed relatively well in the marketplace, with estimates -- don't ask me where I saw this because I don't recall -- of $65 million in toy sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    And two failed cartoon shows and toylines. I enjoyed both shows and the toys but they weren't exactly the major successed Mattel wanted.