Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 852

Thread: New Release Date: March 5, 2021 for Sony Pictures' Masters of the Universe film

  1. #101
    Heroic Warrior InThe80s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    741
    Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post
    The title doesn't really make sense...

    He-Man...Masters... Masters is plural and He-Man is singular. Would multiple He-Man characters be known as "He-Mans, He-Men, or just He-Man?"
    It should be He-Man and the Masters of the Universe.

  2. #102
    Heroic Warrior WDWFreak53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,331
    Quote Originally Posted by InThe80s View Post
    It should be He-Man and the Masters of the Universe.
    If He-Man is in the title, I completely agree.

    Personally I liked: "Grayskull"

    If I talk to some people, they know who He-Man is...they know who Skeletor is...and they remember "Castle Grayskull" but if I just say, "Masters of the Universe" it takes them a little bit to connect that to He-Man.

    Thinking "big picture" I think they should use a strong name like "Grayskull" so that they can create a universe that revolves around the Castle. Spinoff "single-character" movies could use the moniker "Masters of the Universe."

    Masters of the Universe: Sy-Klone (yes, I purposely chose Sy-Klone as the example for a "spin-off").

  3. #103
    Master of Physics VZX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,373
    How about this: "Masters of the Universe: The Power of Grayskull."

    I just don't like He-man in the title. He is the main character, but I like the title of "Masters of the Universe" as it is. It's like "Star Wars" or "The Lord of the Rings" and has that epic, mysterious quality to it. Putting "He-man" in the title cheapens it, I think.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

  4. #104
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    9,539
    This...this!

    Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    How about this: "Masters of the Universe: The Power of Grayskull."

    I just don't like He-man in the title. He is the main character, but I like the title of "Masters of the Universe" as it is. It's like "Star Wars" or "The Lord of the Rings" and has that epic, mysterious quality to it. Putting "He-man" in the title cheapens it, I think.

  5. #105
    Heroic Warrior InThe80s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    741
    If they are following the "marvel movie formula" then He-Man will certainly be in the title.

    Superhero movies usually feature the title character: Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Spiderman, Black Panther, Ant-man, Deadpool, Captain Marvel, etc... (Superman, Batman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, on the DC side).

    Putting He-Man in the title is the safe choice so that is probably what they will go with. I fully support that move.

  6. #106
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,021
    Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    How about this: "Masters of the Universe: The Power of Grayskull."

    I just don't like He-man in the title. He is the main character, but I like the title of "Masters of the Universe" as it is. It's like "Star Wars" or "The Lord of the Rings" and has that epic, mysterious quality to it. Putting "He-man" in the title cheapens it, I think.
    I really like that title!

  7. #107
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    3,967
    It will be called Masters of the Universe, as the poster says. Even though it’s just a promo poster, it is still official. Also, this artist may have put that title that doesn't make any sense on his resume, but on his official Instagram page he's put Masters of the Universe, just like Adam Nee has on his official Instagram page.

  8. #108
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    2,255
    Do a proper hand painted movie poster campaign , not these modern rush jobs with no soul , please !

    It should be EPIC , like a Bond poster or something , larger than life is the key
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

    Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

  9. #109
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    9,539
    Points well made. That said, as VZX pointed out, Star Wars did okay without any main characters in most of the titles.

    Quote Originally Posted by InThe80s View Post
    If they are following the "marvel movie formula" then He-Man will certainly be in the title.

    Superhero movies usually feature the title character: Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Spiderman, Black Panther, Ant-man, Deadpool, Captain Marvel, etc... (Superman, Batman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, on the DC side).

    Putting He-Man in the title is the safe choice so that is probably what they will go with. I fully support that move.

  10. #110
    Cobra Saboteur Firefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    11,536
    A Marvel movie budget sounds cool. Things like Battle Cat, Orko, Skeletor, and the special effects won't be cheap. It might be the type of movie that needs to make at least $500 million world wide to get a sequel made, though.

  11. #111
    Heroic Warrior DC_WARLORD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Skartaris, Inner Earth
    Posts
    2,453
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonder Bread He-Man View Post
    Do a proper hand painted movie poster campaign , not these modern rush jobs with no soul , please !

    It should be EPIC , like a Bond poster or something , larger than life is the key
    QFT. Well said!!!
    Odd Man Out

  12. #112
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    9,539
    Depends also on how toy, product and licensing goes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    A Marvel movie budget sounds cool. Things like Battle Cat, Orko, Skeletor, and the special effects won't be cheap. It might be the type of movie that needs to make at least $500 million world wide to get a sequel made, though.

  13. #113
    President of Primus Ornclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Tri-Solar System
    Posts
    5,859
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    A Marvel movie budget sounds cool. Things like Battle Cat, Orko, Skeletor, and the special effects won't be cheap. It might be the type of movie that needs to make at least $500 million world wide to get a sequel made, though.
    And even if it's a great movie, there's no guarantee it will recoup the budget.

    I use John Carter of Mars as an example. It cost multi-millions to produce, is an excellent translation of Burrough's book, and is a great overall action-epic. Sadly, people just weren't into that type of movie at the time... and the reviews were unfairly dismissive and unkind.

    I fear that the same could happen for a big-budget MOTU movie - especially given the competition in the past decade, i.e. Marvel Studios, and the fact that MOTU has had almost no presence in recent pop-culture to really drive it.

    Will today's movie critics understand what makes MOTU so special??
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

  14. #114
    Heroic Warrior DGSimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    And even if it's a great movie, there's no guarantee it will recoup the budget.

    I use John Carter of Mars as an example. It cost multi-millions to produce, is an excellent translation of Burrough's book, and is a great overall action-epic. Sadly, people just weren't into that type of movie at the time... and the reviews were unfairly dismissive and unkind.

    I fear that the same could happen for a big-budget MOTU movie - especially given the competition in the past decade, i.e. Marvel Studios, and the fact that MOTU has had almost no presence in recent pop-culture to really drive it.

    Will today's movie critics understand what makes MOTU so special??
    John Carter was the victim of poor marketing and a studio with no faith in it rather than the audience not being into it. It was so bad that fans literally took Disney to task and started their own marketing campaign titled "The Real John Carter of Mars" with its own website and everything.

    It's obviously way too early to even say how MOTU will fare. I'll just say the news about the budget and approach is most welcoming indeed. Mattel and Sony are really going for it.

  15. #115
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    3,967
    I think the John Carter comparison is a bit unfair, and not accurate. I would almost go as far as to call the two properties chalk and cheese. John Carter had a much steeper hill to climb. It was virtually unknown to all audiences around the world, as it was so old. Most importantly, though, it had been mined by every storyteller ever since the story's release for films, books and comics. By the time someone thought to make a film of it, in 2012, the visual aesthetic and story had been mimicked so many times over so many years, that it would almost be seen by an awful lot of people like it was copying every film and story that had come out in the 20th century. Of course, it came first, but 99.99% of the audience had no idea of that. Besides, the actual film itself is visually bland and generic beyond belief. It just wasn't a good film, IMO, and the 250 million dollar budget didn't help. I very much doubt Sony, and Tom Rothman, are going to spend anything like that on MOTU, and nor should they.
    Last edited by Krueger; June 2, 2019 at 11:06am.

  16. #116
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    9,539
    It has to do budget-times-three to break even. Of course everyone's already taken their fees, but that's where it needs to go to show a profit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    And even if it's a great movie, there's no guarantee it will recoup the budget.

    I use John Carter of Mars as an example. It cost multi-millions to produce, is an excellent translation of Burrough's book, and is a great overall action-epic. Sadly, people just weren't into that type of movie at the time... and the reviews were unfairly dismissive and unkind.

    I fear that the same could happen for a big-budget MOTU movie - especially given the competition in the past decade, i.e. Marvel Studios, and the fact that MOTU has had almost no presence in recent pop-culture to really drive it.

    Will today's movie critics understand what makes MOTU so special??

  17. #117
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    491
    I think my big concern is that this will fall into the same trap as Warcraft and come off as a pure fantasy or Conan-style movie.

    And as with Warcraft, it’s the intersection with sci-fi that captivates me.

  18. #118
    Master of Physics VZX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,373
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    It has to do budget-times-three to break even. Of course everyone's already taken their fees, but that's where it needs to go to show a profit.
    Exactly. Three times the budget. With that in mind, what is a box office ceiling for a Masters of the Universe movie? I'm thinking $200 mill domestic, $500 mill total worldwide. Again, that's a very generous maximum. I think a decent budget for MotU should be around $100-$120 mill. That would be similar to the Shazam movie which was $90 mill budget. The Wonder Woman movie had a budget of $150 mill, but I fear a MotU movie with a budget that high would lose money.

    I would rather a mid-size budget so that we get sequels. If the budget is too high and the movie does not make enough to cover it (3x) then chances for a sequel drop. Shazam only made $362 mill so far. So it has made a profit of about $70-$90 mill depending on marketing costs. And yes there will be a sequel. But if Shazam had a budget of Wonder Woman ($150) or Aquaman ($200-ish mill) then it would have lost money and no sequel.

    I would love to see Eternia with all the creatures and amazing settings as it should be, but that might take too much money and the movie might not make enough to cover it. And I want sequels.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

  19. #119
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    3,967
    That's why Sony has actually made a really smart move by picking an early March release date. Even though "blockbuster" season seems to start in March now, the competition is still sparse. If released in the summer, going up against lots and lots of summer films in the process, MOTU would likely take a beating. Obviously we have to see how Mortal Kombat turns out, but Sony have wisely picked a release window where MOTU can get quite a bit of breathing space, which it will need. In terms of the budget, I will be very uncomfortable if it exceeds 150 million. Believe it or not, in this day and age, 150 million is fairly sensible for a potential blockbuster. But if we start to hear about it creeping up towards 200 million, IMO, that would be cause for concern.

  20. #120
    Council Elder Tallstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    In support of Joe Amato & the Meteorbs
    Posts
    29,670
    Don't know if this is the right thread for this, but whatever...lol

    This is from Han Cholo's Instastories.

    https://www.instagram.com/hancholodesigns/

    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

  21. #121
    Heroic Warrior DGSimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    That's why Sony has actually made a really smart move by picking an early March release date. Even though "blockbuster" season seems to start in March now, the competition is still sparse. If released in the summer, going up against lots and lots of summer films in the process, MOTU would likely take a beating. Obviously we have to see how Mortal Kombat turns out, but Sony have wisely picked a release window where MOTU can get quite a bit of breathing space, which it will need. In terms of the budget, I will be very uncomfortable if it exceeds 150 million. Believe it or not, in this day and age, 150 million is fairly sensible for a potential blockbuster. But if we start to hear about it creeping up towards 200 million, IMO, that would be cause for concern.
    Their comments implied the film would be similar to the Marvel films so we're talking $150 to 200+ million possibly that doesn't factor in marketing either.

    Anything LOWER than that would have me concerned lol

  22. #122
    Widget
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    11
    Since Tom Rothman was appointed chairman of Sony Pictures, the budgets have been kept in check.

    Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle reportedly had a budget of $90 million and the two Marvel films, Venom and Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse, $100 million and $90 million, respectively.

    Spider-Man: Homecoming had a budget of $175 million, but that film was produced by Marvel Studios.

    (Production budgets as listed by Box Office Mojo)

    My guess is that the budget for the Masters of the Universe film will be in the $120-150 million range.
    Last edited by Mek; June 3, 2019 at 06:28pm.

  23. #123
    Cobra Saboteur Firefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    11,536
    Quote Originally Posted by DGSimo View Post
    Their comments implied the film would be similar to the Marvel films so we're talking $150 to 200+ million possibly that doesn't factor in marketing either.

    Anything LOWER than that would have me concerned lol
    You can probably add an additional $150 million for marketing to whatever the production budget is. I'd guess 150 to 200 million production budget.

  24. #124
    Catwoman...Hear Me Roar! Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Catwoman's Catacomb
    Posts
    5,810
    I'm not really concerned with budgets or box office results, and although I obviously want the MOTU movie to succeed and kick some serious butt at the box office, I just want to see an excellent movie and perhaps see some sequels and awesome merchandise.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

    - Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

  25. #125
    Council Elder Tallstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    In support of Joe Amato & the Meteorbs
    Posts
    29,670
    The He-Man statue is at Licensing Expo.

    https://twitter.com/Erik_Mogensen/st...14398671134723
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •