Thread: How does Zodak work?

Heroic Warrior

How does Zodak work?

Since this is about a character, I wasn’t sure the best place to put this.

If Zodak is a neutral character supposed to keep balance in the universe... how does that work? He helps the bad guy escape? He helps the good guys produce the deus ex machine that allows them to win?

I take balance to mean equal of both good and bad. So how does he maintain this “order”?
    The power of Grayskull compels you!

My daughter's Hebrew name is Shira.

Quote Originally Posted by guy-dude View Post
    Since this is about a character, I wasn’t sure the best place to put this.

If Zodak is a neutral character supposed to keep balance in the universe... how does that work? He helps the bad guy escape? He helps the good guys produce the deus ex machine that allows them to win?

I take balance to mean equal of both good and bad. So how does he maintain this “order”?
    Zodak can be thought of as like a cosmic powered entity powerfull beyond inmagination as such has even gone after He man himself when he felt goodness was tipping the balance or some such cant remember where I saw this comics somewhere maybe.

What does it mean to be "too good"?
    I have seen what others have not seen!

The best example of this comes from the episode of the the star seed from filmation. He tells skeletor the location of the stars seed, then tests Heman to see if he gives in the power of the starseed. Keeping the balance

I've always loved Zodac and he's always been a favorite, but I would love to see a new incarnation (be it in the upcoming movie or a TV series/cartoon or whatnot) where his role and powers are better defined and put to more use. I remember being so excited when the Power Of Point Dread record/storybook finally showed Zodac in comic form (I think I saw this before I did the DC mini-series comics) and gave him a voice, but also remember feeling like he was sorely underused in Filmation.

The way I felt Zodak worked was that there were certain resources inside Greyskull that would enable someone, once they took control of that power, to conquer other worlds and literally become master of the universe. Zodak was part of the cosmic enforcers, a group dedicated to maintaining piece in the universe. When Hordak was defeated, the cosmic enforcers banished him to Dispondos, and told king Greyskull that if the technology on Eternia fell into the wrong hands, the cosmic enforcers wouldn't hesitate to destroy Eternia to save the rest of the universe. King Greyskull had the citadel where all their technology was kept fortified into a stronghold and its facade reshaped into a ghastly skull to warn all those that approached, death awaited them. King Greyskull sealed himself inside with the entity who was head of the elders, murdered by Hordak, her consciousness kept alive by the powers of the castle. She could take a physical form, but wasn't alive. She could take on many forms and sometimes took on the form of a giant Falcon to venture out into Eternia. She would become known as the Sorceress. King Greyskull became entombed in the castle and his wife, head of the elders, murdered by Hordak, would live on to protect Greyskull and Eternia until there was a time when a new guardian was needed to wield the sword of power and protect it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Zodak -vs- Zodac

Zodac - Neutral, rides on a cosmic chair to set balance (remember Darth Vader also brought balance, and so did Thanos)

Zodak - Not neutral anymore since the death of his brother at the hand of King Hsssss and the Snakemen

Heroic slave of time man-at-work's Avatar
    If we go by MOTUC canon, I think ZodaK is not neutral, and he's not obliged to be neutral since he's not a Cosmic Enforcer (bio says he's an Enforcer for the Council of Elders that studied the fighting technicques of Cosmic Enforcers). His mentor was ZodaC, but seems like Zodak himself can be able to choose on what side he is (I think of him as "good").

On the other hand, we have Zodac, the Cosmic Enforcer. He's supposed to be the neutral one. I also wonder how that works. Hos can be something too good that it needs to be balanced with evil? The only thinig I've come to think is that since these are magic worlds, magic played a key role whne the universe was created, and maybe the magic was not good or evil, but both. So, maybe the universe needs to keep the balance between good and evil to keep the universe stable, or something like that. So, it's not a matter of balancing good actions and evil actions, it's a matter of not letting the orignal magic forces of creation to be unbalanced. If Standor was the Architect, I suppose there were other gods that participated in the creation, some of them I suppose were evil, or just neutral.
    Wish list of MOTUC figures: Sagitar, Red Beast, Red Shadow, Red Knight, Hans Hammerholder, Ra-Jar

Heroic Warrior
    Well, if one side wins, the story is over and there are no more toys to sell ...

Quote Originally Posted by Capeträger View Post
    Well, if one side wins, the story is over and there are no more toys to sell ...
    So Zodac is really a Mattel puppet to keep things selling.

I feel so used all of a sudden.

For good to truly exist there must be evil. How can one choose to do right if there is no wrong option? Without opposition it is impossible for individuals to grow and progress. This is true in MOTU and real life.
    I think it is time to explore the mythos beyond the time of SOH, or maybe I will eat a taco, either way I'm good.

Heroic slave of time man-at-work's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    So Zodac is really a Mattel puppet to keep things selling.

I feel so used all of a sudden.
    So, has the Unnamed One been ruling Mattel all of this time?
    Wish list of MOTUC figures: Sagitar, Red Beast, Red Shadow, Red Knight, Hans Hammerholder, Ra-Jar

I have a problem with Zodac's role. If he intervenes in the conflict between good and evil whenever one side gains the upper hand in order to maintain balance, and both sides are well aware of this fact, then doesn't that render the struggle utterly pointless?

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    I have a problem with Zodac's role. If he intervenes in the conflict between good and evil whenever one side gains the upper hand in order to maintain balance, and both sides are well aware of this fact, then doesn't that render the struggle utterly pointless?
    I have friends like this, nobody likes them....

Now I'm starting to think there's potential for a story where Zodac goes completely nuts and wants to eradicate all life, so the universe could be truly neutral. It would take both of the good and the bad guys to stop him, because he's supposed to be strong as heck.

I always loved Zodac. In the Vintage forum, Penny Dreadful posted the first page of a Zodac minicomic that existed only in Brazil. Intriguing to see what happens there. I feel like maybe Mattel didn't fully understand what that neutral disposition really meant, but I guess we'll see once the rest of the minicomic is posted.

I've always been intrigued by those meta concepts like "good" and "evil" and "neutral," since "good" and "bad" are so subjective. People have their own motivations and interpretations. So it seems like Zodac could sort of have a wise perspective where he realizes this subjective reality, that good and evil are constructs--not that he somehow supports "evil" but that he understands everyone has their own perspective. Like a philosopher--hence the awesome chair

Quote Originally Posted by manowar View Post
    I have friends like this, nobody likes them....

I'm not that unlikable! I just can't escape the thought that Zodac's power makes all of MOTU lore irrelevant lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AT-Man View Post
    Now I'm starting to think there's potential for a story where Zodac goes completely nuts and wants to eradicate all life, so the universe could be truly neutral. It would take both of the good and the bad guys to stop him, because he's supposed to be strong as heck.
    Sounds like a Thanos rip-off storyline.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pcrowe View Post
    I always loved Zodac. In the Vintage forum, Penny Dreadful posted the first page of a Zodac minicomic that existed only in Brazil. Intriguing to see what happens there. I feel like maybe Mattel didn't fully understand what that neutral disposition really meant, but I guess we'll see once the rest of the minicomic is posted.

I've always been intrigued by those meta concepts like "good" and "evil" and "neutral," since "good" and "bad" are so subjective. People have their own motivations and interpretations. So it seems like Zodac could sort of have a wise perspective where he realizes this subjective reality, that good and evil are constructs--not that he somehow supports "evil" but that he understands everyone has their own perspective. Like a philosopher--hence the awesome chair
    True - I'm sure Skeletor doesn't necessarily think of himself as "evil", but rather as fighting for his cause, namely, his rightful place on the throne of Eternos.

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Sounds like a Thanos rip-off storyline.
    Are any villains aspirations truly that different from each other? Every cosmic level villain wants to either destroy or dominate the whole uni-/multiverse.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by pcrowe View Post
    That minicomic is not done by Mattel. So its not really about Mattel understanding...

And Zodac originally in Mark Taylor concept art is described as "Ally to He-Man".

After that he became "Cosmic Enforcer".
    -Then sometime later he became "Evil Cosmic Enforcer", though some don't know it or forget that it was an later addition.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!