Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 162 Discussion - The Loyal Subjects & Sideshow

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 162 Discussion - The Loyal Subjects & Sideshow

Episode 162 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Danielle Gelehrter, Nate Baertsch, Rob Base, and Daniel Benedict are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

In this episode they discuss
    The Loyal Subjects,
    problems with figure delivery,
    issues with blind boxes,
    creative color variants,
    Dunny figures,
    change to window boxes,
    Sideshow MOTU statues,
    She-Ra,
    depiction of female characters,
    Evil-Lyn,
    Tweeterhead,
    Orko,
    and much more!

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

And if you have a comment or a question, please call us at (310) 933-5993 or at our Skype account "roastgooble" and leave a voicemail (in Skype, please go to Call Phones and enter roastgooble as the phone number and dial in. Please do not add roastgooble to your contact list as we won't accept the request. Sorry!) We'll try to work your voicemail into the show, so please call! Otherwise, you can e-mail us at gooble (at) he-man (dot) org. One or more of the hosts will read your e-mail on the show. Please keep e-mails short and sweet!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Recorded on May 16, 2019
    Runtime: 0 hour, 59 minutes, 52 seconds

Direct link for Episode 162

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

You guys discussed The Loyal Subjects and Iím a big fan. Because I was unable to get into the MOTUC line from the ground floor, I started collecting these guys and became hooked, albeit a bit late and ended up paying more than Iíd like to for guys like Faker and Prince Adam, which were chase/exclusive figs.

You discussed how difficult Wave 2 has been to find, but the General Edition has not hit the big box retailers yet. Hot Topic gets exclusive assortments and those were released in December. Flocked versions of the cats are showing up there now, and general edition should be hitting Walmarts and Targets soon, as well as Walgreens at some point as well. Only online retailers have been distributing them to this point.

TLS recently announced a distribution deal with Bandai, so any issues in the past with availability should improve under this deal.

As far as the company goes, the owner seems to be a great guy, who frequently engages with members on the groupís official facebook group page. Itís not often that owners listen to feedback, provide their thoughts and reasoning, and reward fans for loyalty like Jonathan does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like the look of these Loyal Subjects figures but they’re way too expensive for what they are, so I get Val’s sentiment that they’re just too pricey. I mean 15-20 dollars/euros plus shipping (which is the same or more), that’d be €30-40 for just one of these. I rather pick up a loose Classics figure and know what I’m getting! (Granted that’s in large part because you can’t find these at retail here, Belgium sucks on that aspect)

Not to mention that I’ve heard that they break pretty easily, which is a shame because they’d make for fun toys for my son.

Quote Originally Posted by wayne-klops View Post
    I think you guys were maybe a bit too harsh on the Loyal Subjects figure designs, as I think they are really great. I would say that perhaps the sculpt of Teela's face is not ideal, but the others are good.
    Really? I didn't think we were harsh at all about the designs. Daniel and I said we really like the designs, Nate said they just weren't for him, and I think Danielle and Rob were fairly indifferent. I don't recall anyone saying anything harsh about the designs.
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Really? I didn't think we were harsh at all about the designs. Daniel and I said we really like the designs, Nate said they just weren't for him, and I think Danielle and Rob were fairly indifferent. I don't recall anyone saying anything harsh about the designs.
    I donít remember you being harsh in the designs, but more about the chase choices. I agree that to some extent the chases should be alternate colorways vs. vital characters. An orange-armor Faker (which was a Target or Walmart exclusive 1/96 chase) is fetching $400 on the secondary market, which is ludicrous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of the chase choices are a head-scratcher for me, as I talked about on the show.
    I don't mind chase figures at all. In fact, I think they are fun. But, IMO, the more rare they are, the less desirable they should be so less people feel left out of a widely desired character.

I was late getting into Loyal Subjects, like so many other things...but I quite like them, of course I'm also a fan of the Funko treatment as well.

I bought one of the original blind boxes from the first wave, fell in love and wanted more...which was good timing as the second wave variants were releasing at Hot Topic just after they entered my radar.

I sometimes enjoy blind boxes but they can be pretty painful if you want a lot of characters, particularly at this price. I'm really glad they switched to the open window display boxes...especially since I walked into a Hot Topic that I don't normally get to and found a weird looking Orko...took me a few moments to realize it was a Club 28 edition Snoob! So, while I absolutely agree making desirable characters that limited is poor service for fans...the thrill of finding ANYTHING that limited is pretty heady.

I'm still waiting for the regular release second wave to show up but only for Stinkor...and maybe Orko. I like the exclusive battle damage Skeletor and He-Man I already have, and I LOVE the blue Mer-Man so much...definitely my favourite.

Overall they're not my primary collection but a fun compliment to the mix. I like having the variety.

Also. That Hot Topic employee...wow...

I am so bummed we did not get more MOTU Sideshow statues. I have He-Man, Skeletor and Orko. I saved space on my shelf for future statues such as Hordak, but it seems that the line is dead.
    I think it is time to explore the mythos beyond the time of SOH, or maybe I will eat a taco, either way I'm good.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Ro Eats Soup View Post
    I am so bummed we did not get more MOTU Sideshow statues. I have He-Man, Skeletor and Orko. I saved space on my shelf for future statues such as Hordak, but it seems that the line is dead.
    I think they are amazing too. Outside my price range, but really beautiful art. Like Daniel/Rob said, just make the motu movie characters like this line.

So I just listened to this podcast for the first time and I'm hooked. It's weird that I have been a member of this forum for a long time and not listened to your podcast until now. Great job, all around. Everyone knows their stuff and brings a different take to the table. I'm going to go back and listen to some older episodes when I get the chance.

On topic: I have said that the Sideshow designs could easily be used as a movie costume start. But I always thought the Sideshow designs seem based on the 200X designs from the Four Horsemen, especially Orko. That's actually a good thing for me. My favorite Sideshow statues are He-Man and Evil Lyn. Skeletor is great, but his feet look weird. And I also love She-Ra except for her boots. Maybe if She-Ra's boots were higher up her leg? But her body, face, and costume sculpts are perfect. But I also am not a fan of the She-Ra statue pose, it's just bland. The other statues are dynamic and seem to be in mid-action, but She-Ra just looks like she walking out to the car or something.

And I get the double standard. He-man should be majorly buff but not She-Ra? It makes no sense. Can I call that double standard a form of sexism?

I really hope that Sideshow or Tweeterhead or whatever continues this line. I hope Val is right that more are coming. I also cannot afford them but enjoy looking at them. I'm hoping for Teela, Man-at-arms, Beastman, Trap Jaw, and Triklops. It seems that Hordak is coming, which is cool, but I'd rather he wait.

Anyway, I love the podcast. Thanks, guys.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Has there been a conversation or episode dedicated to the Mega Construx line yet? I enjoyed the Loyal Subjects talk and would love to hear more about the OTHER current line and the upcoming Castle.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "This supersoaker is full of urine and RAGE!!! Mostly urine."

Quote Originally Posted by mossgreen View Post
    Has there been a conversation or episode dedicated to the Mega Construx line yet?
    Great suggestion!
    Odd Man Out

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    Great suggestion!
    Yeah, I'd listen to this for sure! So many possibilities with this little line!
    Wanted in MOTUC: Masks of Power Demons, Prince Dakon, Princess Rana, Mini-Comics Tri-Klops, Lizorr, Hoove, Vintage Attack Trak.

Apparently, there are prototypes for nearly all MOTU and POP characters. I would say that's definitely worth a mention.
    Odd Man Out