Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mega Construx Battle Bones

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrala View Post
    Also: we don’t know what the movie plans from Mattel are.
    True.

Vintage 5.5s are almost certainly part of it but maybe they’ll do some retail Classics waves similar to Marvel Legends that mix movie and classic designs.
    Check out my poll in this section: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...-Movie-Figures
    Practically everybody is voting for CLASSICS style figures, but I can't help but think that Vintage 5.5's would be a part of a 'retail relaunch', because they are what started this whole thing!!
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; May 27, 2019 at 02:20pm.
    Odd Man Out

Quote Originally Posted by king.of.grayskull View Post
    At the last PowerCon Brandon said (at the "Mattels Mastery of MOTU Panel" around 17:30) that there will be a cool SDCC Exclusive that "holds your figures together".
    Does Mega tend to do that with their other licenses? Has there been Halo SDCC sets, etc? Man, I hate exclusives! Can't wait to pay someone on ebay $150 for the Battle Bones set.
    KreanníOt NíNorosh is my copilot.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by kernunrex View Post
    Does Mega tend to do that with their other licenses? Has there been Halo SDCC sets, etc? Man, I hate exclusives! Can't wait to pay someone on ebay $150 for the Battle Bones set.
    It's onlly a guess!

But Brandon said, there will be a SDCC Exlcusive Mega Construx MOTU item and that it's a great way, to hold our figures together...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by ersatz.kate View Post
    Very cool! Castle Grayskull is my main priority...but these smaller sets are a bit easier on the wallet to pick up, unless this IS a con-exclusive...
    The upside if itís Con Exclusive is that Moss Man will probably get a cheaper variant release as will Snake Armor Teela.

I also imagine weíll get a Sorceress outside of Grayskull.

They seem to be making sure characters are available even if not all versions are. Provided your Walmart stocks these. About half the ones around me do.

Iím gonna go out on a limb and guess 5 pack 2 will be Moss Man, Sorceress, Stratos, Scareglow, and Evil Lyn.

BA Teela with Stridor, Clean Shaven Duncan with Battle Ram.

Then at some later date Evil Lyn with Nightstalker. Maybe Webstor with a variant 8 legged Wind Raider.

They seem to be making sure characters are available even if not all versions are.
    Absolutely a good thing. I truly HATE all things limited edition. I'm fine with something like Con-exclusive packaging being limited, or perhaps certain paint apps, but I don't think any characters should be made limited unless they have very low demand.

I’m gonna go out on a limb and guess 5 pack 2 will be Moss Man, Sorceress, Stratos, Scareglow, and Evil Lyn.
    Great prediction!
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; May 29, 2019 at 01:37am.
    Odd Man Out

Heroic Warrior
    There is also a close-up pic of the figures in the box out there (look at image 2 -- https://toynewsi.com/13-33526 ) that shows the Faker figure not only has the magenta armor but also has "battle damage". The left part of his face looks to be silver, the upper left arm is a mechanical sculpt in silver, the upper right leg is also a mechanical sculpt in silver and the right hand may also be silver.

If this is a retail set my biggest fear is finding a set with a Moss Man that hasn't had the flocking rubbed off through that "try me" window.
    Last edited by Jim_Abell; May 27, 2019 at 07:52pm. Reason: typo correction

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Abell View Post
    If this is a retail set my biggest fear is finding a set with a Moss Man that hasn't had the flocking rubbed off through that "try me" window.
    Haha! Entirely possible! But I'm expecting Mossy to have a single carded release, too. Then again, it may also have a "try me" window.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; May 29, 2019 at 11:48am.
    Odd Man Out

SDCC exclusive

For all sad words of tongue and pen,
    The saddest are these,
    'SDCC exclusive.'

Like that

Already ordered the Windraider and the 5 Pack of Figures - as a LEGO Fan, i like the look of those brickguys a lot
    Chuck Norris isst keinen Honig, er kaut Bienen.

my app.net account

Quote Originally Posted by Tron View Post
    SDCC exclusive
    They announced that this is an SDCC exclusive only?

If so, it's decisions like this that would keep me from collecting, or make me stop collecting a line. If they wanted to do a GITD version as an exclusive...fine...but when they have a highly demanded item as an exclusive, it really takes the wind out of the sails of the collectors.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post
    They announced that this is an SDCC exclusive only?

If so, it's decisions like this that would keep me from collecting, or make me stop collecting a line. If they wanted to do a GITD version as an exclusive...fine...but when they have a highly demanded item as an exclusive, it really takes the wind out of the sails of the collectors.
    So long as the figures get some kind of single release, it doesnít bother me. Theyíve rereleased the same figures in multiple packages a few times now and done a variety of subtle variants.

They could always single card most of these figures later and do a glow in the dark Battle Bones or something.

Iím CONCERNED about not getting a Sorceress as somebody not interested in Grayskull but not TOO concerned because they could always just tint the colors a bit different and put her in a 5 pack later. I hope thatís how they keep running this line anyway. Shoot for a He-Man and Skeletor variant on shelves at all times and keep the big 6-7 characters on each side coming back out even if itís Pink Teela or Vs. Snakemen Stratos.

Iíd be thrilled with that if they could just take over the MCX Heroes line and ship one vehicle with 2 figures, 1 reissue ďBest ofĒ 5 pack, 3 variants of existing characters, 3 new characters per quarter.

That way thereís always a hook for someone to start collecting who missed out.

Brilliant ideas, Cobrala. I really dig your way of thinking!

Going by what we've seen already, I look for them to continue to re-release many of the same characters with slightly different paint apps. I won't be buying play sets and vehicles either, but it would be great to know I could still get the figures single carded.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; May 30, 2019 at 12:06am.
    Odd Man Out

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    Brilliant ideas, Cobrala. I really dig your way of thinking!

Going by what we've seen already, I look for them to continue to re-release many of the same characters with slightly different paint apps. I won't be buying play sets and vehicles either, but it would be great to know I could still get the figures single carded.
    So another idea, running off of parts counts:

Mounts/beasts are probably not high parts counts items even if they use more plastic. Nor are they as big as the Windraider.

He-Man and Battle Cat vs. Evil Lyn (maybe MYP deco or the Hot Topic Chase Loyal Subjects version) and Nightstalker.
    Skeletor and Panthor vs. Snake Armor Teela with Stridor.
    (The asymmetry makes it feel like a better deal, I think.)
    Sorceress and Zoar with Young Man at Arms vs. Skelcon with Roton
    Mer-Man and Screech with Skeletor's Snake Mountain Throne and Table

To round out the sets and get the parts count and mass up to Windraider level, include Trollans, Weapons Pak items, Grayskull green blocks, and terrain.

Terran was especially big when Mega Construx was still under the Mega Bloks brand but I think it would be REALLY COOL to reference the 80s toy catalog photography. Generally, THAT terrain came in:

Coarse dark blue sand with visible sparkles.
    Pink/salmon tinted sand.
    Gray rock.

Mega could include spare terrain pieces in these colors all day long to fill out vehicle sets to the Wind Raider price point. It could probably just be straight KOs of old Mega Bloks Narnia, King Arthur, and Pyrates stuff. but if the COLOR is on brand for MOTU vintage toy catalog photos, that's great. I think maybe I need a backdrop in that eye searing shade of red.

Virginia, United States of America, but mostly in the Hidden Land of Avalon
    Does anyone have anymore info on whether the Battle Bones will be an SDCC item or if it will be regular retail? If this is SDCC that would be stupid. You want to get as many buyers as possible and no mass release is going to tick a lot of people off. Besides thus was a classic figure carrier option in the line. If you had a buddy with this and 8 figures, they could bring them over(minus weapons of course) and have most of the fixings for a battle ready.
    Griffen Is not My real name, just what I aspire to be.

I collect MOTU/POP, Transformers, Garfield the Cat, & 80's/90's Book & Tape/Record Sets. I collect VHS & DVD of 80's-00's properties and comics. My YouTube Channel titled: Feb Mon
    https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCr-M2kh33ALM2nEzcKZKNKQ

Mostly Playlists & used for commenting on videos. Still, Check it out if you have time.

I hope this is real. I really wish they would make Battle Cat and Panthor.

- - - Updated - - -

SDCC exclusive
    Bah, I hate stuff like this. The odds of me ever making it to an event like that are closer to zero than one.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

Quote Originally Posted by griffen112182 View Post
    Does anyone have anymore info on whether the Battle Bones will be an SDCC item or if it will be regular retail?
    There's been no official announcement, since the BB photo was just a leak on Reddit. However, it is heavily implied in their Power-Con 2018 panel. Around 17:30 in this video is where they talk about it. Transcript:

"Comic Con 2019, there should be a really exciting exclusive for the Mega Construx line as well. Can't tell you about it now, but it's a good way of holding all of your figures together."

If this is SDCC that would be stupid.
    Agreed. Can anyone explain how doing this benefits them at all? They're already having enough distribution problems with the figures and Wind Raider as it is and generally most folks have to find these online. If people start searching online for this Battle Bones set and all they find are super-expensive listings on ebay, it's not gonna make any new fans and it's going to upset those already deep into the collection.

Quote Originally Posted by kernunrex View Post
    There's been no official announcement, since the BB photo was just a leak on Reddit. However, it is heavily implied in their Power-Con 2018 panel. Around 17:30 in this video is where they talk about it. Transcript:

"Comic Con 2019, there should be a really exciting exclusive for the Mega Construx line as well. Can't tell you about it now, but it's a good way of holding all of your figures together."

Agreed. Can anyone explain how doing this benefits them at all? They're already having enough distribution problems with the figures and Wind Raider as it is and generally most folks have to find these online. If people start searching online for this Battle Bones set and all they find are super-expensive listings on ebay, it's not gonna make any new fans and it's going to upset those already deep into the collection.
    Generally the rationale given for exclusives of this sort is that they attract attention from news outlets and folks who are unaware of the line. As we get closer to SDCC sites not targeted specifically to MOTU fans as as GameSpot, IGN, CBR, and others of the sort will start doing stories, thus attracting attention from a larger audience. A lot of companies view something like this as marketing, thus this is more of an advertisement than anything. Again, I'm not always a fan of the practice of the exclusives, especially ones that are intentionally very limited, but if this causes more buyers to walk into stores looking for these then that is a plus.
    I serve up lots of hot, fresh action figure reviews on Action Figure Barbecue!

"We have a Ram-Man!"

Heroic Warrior
    To the folks upset about SDCC Exclusive, two points:

1. This line so far has made everything available another way. Maybe your area missed first run Faker but for $20 you COULD get a 5 pack that included him. Thatís not unthinkable here.

2. SDCC Exclusive means a lot less than it did years ago. 15-20 years ago, I went to SDCC and paid for my trip flipping exclusives. They took hours in line to get. Most big SDCC Exclusives today have retail partners and overstock. SDCC Exclusive could mean GameStop or Barnes & Noble or Target stocks these day and date.

The upside if itís Con Exclusive is that Moss Man will probably get a cheaper variant release as will Snake Armor Teela.

I also imagine weíll get a Sorceress outside of Grayskull.

They seem to be making sure characters are available even if not all versions are. Provided your Walmart stocks these. About half the ones around me do.

Iím gonna go out on a limb and guess 5 pack 2 will be Moss Man, Sorceress, Stratos, Scareglow, and Evil Lyn.

BA Teela with Stridor, Clean Shaven Duncan with Battle Ram.

Then at some later date Evil Lyn with Nightstalker. Maybe Webstor with a variant 8 legged Wind Raider.
    I will accept all these things....and anything else they've got!

I absolutely LOVE the 5 pack...looks fantastic on display just hanging on my wall at the moment. My only issue is being patient for things to arrive in Canada...I jumped on the figure pack with Entertainment Earth and could have waited for Amazon/Walmart Canada to have them (much cheaper in the end). Though I DO have enough things pre-ordered with BBTS that I could surely tack on some more stuff if I get too antsy...

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    Wah! I wonder what the retail version will be like...
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Creator of Kaiju Kaos.

Quote Originally Posted by baileyrecords View Post
    Wah! I wonder what the retail version will be like...
    Let's hope there IS a retail version.
    My guess would be: No air freshener...and standard Teela/Faker.

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    I was thinking that a retail version would likely drop the air freshener and no flocking on Moss Man.

It's pretty cool that Mattel/Mega Construx flocked their Moss Man minifigure for the set, but I think more people would forgive the retail version for not having a flocked Moss Man rather than losing Snake Armor Teela and/or the alternate color Faker.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
    I was thinking that a retail version would likely drop the air freshener and no flocking on Moss Man.

It's pretty cool that Mattel/Mega Construx flocked their Moss Man minifigure for the set, but I think more people would forgive the retail version for not having a flocked Moss Man rather than losing Snake Armor Teela and/or the alternate color Faker.
    Standalone Scareglow glows in the dark. I donít think flocking is out of the question.

Maybe Battle Bones standalone gets, say, Man-E-Faces, Fisto, Whiplash, and Buzzoff. Replicating box art.

Then a 5 pack with Trapjaw, Sorceress, Moss Man, Stratos, and Scareglow.

And armor Teela with Stridor vs Battle Armor Skeletor with Panthor, Evil-Lyn with Nightstalker vs Battle Armor He-Man with Battle Cat, Battle Ram with Man-at-Arms (no mustache) vs Magenta Faker.

I figure the creatures are awkwardly proportioned unless you go for the Windraider price point, have 2 creatures, maybe a bunch of accessories like the Stilt Stalker and some terrain.

To my way of thinking, Panthor vs Battle Cat is too much demanded stuff in one pack. So you do two horse vs cat packs.