Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official Godzilla: King of the Monsters movie thread

Official Godzilla: King of the Monsters movie thread

I don't know how many of you are excited for this, but I've been a long-time old school Kojira fanboy, so I was really skeptical about Godzilla 2014 - and it turned out being pretty good. Now, this sequel is a movie that I've been following closely, and I have to admit, while it doesn't have that classic Toho charm, I am genuinely excited to see it.

The fact that we will see not one, but three classic Daikaiju from the golden age of Japanese cinema is stunning! For those that may not know, both Mothra and Rodan were stars of their own movies (blockbusters at the time) before being added to Toho's shared movie monsterverse with Godzilla...

This should be a good kickstart to the summer movie season - and hey, no Matthew Broderick in sight!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

I still haven't seen the 2014 movie. Someone told me Godzilla is only in it briefly ear the end. I liked some of the old Japanese movies and the designs of the Daikaiju. This movie does look quite good though. I will have to watch the 2014 version before watching it.

Yes, really looking forward to seeing this.

Just listened to the score (which I think was actually posted in full on YouTube legitimately? I went ahead and bought the whole thing after hearing it). More than a few tracks actually brought tears to my eyes, it is THAT good.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

I really enjoyed the ‘14 Godzilla, so I’m very excited about seeing this.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Heroic Warrior
    I can't wait for this one. It is my second most anticipated movie of the year.

Welp seen it and I rather loved it (The mothra theme played in and in the closing credits too was a welcome thing)
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

I disliked 2014's movie as Godzilla was barely in the film and was more on Mutos, this one was a HUGE improvement and i enjoyed it, one of my favorite movies of the year.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Godzilla: KOTM is a very fun movie!

It's a little too story-driven for a movie about giant monsters fighting each other, but overall, it is a great start to the summer movie season and pays mad respect to it's source/lineage.

And it was awesome that they paid tribute to Haruo Nakajima!

I love all of the nods to past Godzilla movies...

Rodan emerging from a volcano, the oxygen destroyer bomb, Godzilla going critical mass, Ghidorah being from another planet, Mothra spitting webs, Kumonga the giant spider, the classic Gojira/Mothra music, and even the Head of Ghidorah being discovered at the end of the movie.
    All of these things happened at some point in the Toho shared Universe.

Also, I could have done without the political commentary...

Now I'm super excited for King Kong vs. Godzilla!

Skeletor's Right Hand Man Megalodon's Avatar
    FINALLY we got to see an American version of Godzilla that was true to the original......AWESOME!

Heroic Warrior
    I have seen it twice, really enjoyed it, but it is a shame that it is under performing at the Box office.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon78 View Post
    I have seen it twice, really enjoyed it, but it is a shame that it is under performing at the Box office.
    I know it should be a bigger hit

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    I know it should be a bigger hit

Just look up "The Boy who Cried Wolf" and you'll have your answer.

Yup. The fans love it, but the general public do not really care. I think that after the Kong vs Godzilla movie, this franchise is done. At least in USA.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    Yup. The fans love it, but the general public do not really care. I think that after the Kong vs Godzilla movie, this franchise is done. At least in USA.
    I hope that, in fact, the opposite happens. I want Kong vs Godzilla to do better than expectations at the box office, thus prompting a sequel for both respective franchises.

Fun fact: the original 1962 King Kong vs. Godzilla is Toho's highest grossing Godzilla movie to date!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Godzilla: KOTM is a very fun movie!

It's a little too story-driven for a movie about giant monsters fighting each other, but overall, it is a great start to the summer movie season and pays mad respect to it's source/lineage.

I'm a little torn on it for that reason. WAY too much people and not enough Godzilla... which is of course the problem with EVERY Godzilla movie. Way too much swearing. I was hoping on taking my young nephews to see it, but it certainly wasn't aimed for them. Which... I think is a SERIOUS flaw. If you can't make a movie about giant monsters knocking over a building without F-bombs and having people running around a room using ONLY curse words... then you've missed a MAJOR audience. The Godzilla franchises bread and butter was 7-10 year olds. I'm REALLY hoping they show this on TV before too long.

But mostly... too much story dragging on. When Godzilla was on the screen... or ANY of the monsters were on the screen they looked absolutely AMAZING. Every second you got to see them and I was in love with that special effects team. It was the battle royal I have waited my whole life to see... But every time they ran around with a shaky cam focusing on the people looking scared while you knew awesome Kaiju monsters were battling behind them... It had a Cloverfield feel to it.

It's pretty much my same complaint with the Bay transformers movies. They have the camera pointed at the wrong stuff. Overall I still rate it 8/10. What they did wrong... was really wrong. But what they did RIGHT... Knocked it CLEAR out of the park.

Skeletor's Right Hand Man Megalodon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I'm a little torn on it for that reason. WAY too much people and not enough Godzilla... which is of course the problem with EVERY Godzilla movie. Way too much swearing. I was hoping on taking my young nephews to see it, but it certainly wasn't aimed for them. Which... I think is a SERIOUS flaw. If you can't make a movie about giant monsters knocking over a building without F-bombs and having people running around a room using ONLY curse words... then you've missed a MAJOR audience. The Godzilla franchises bread and butter was 7-10 year olds. I'm REALLY hoping they show this on TV before too long.

But mostly... too much story dragging on. When Godzilla was on the screen... or ANY of the monsters were on the screen they looked absolutely AMAZING. Every second you got to see them and I was in love with that special effects team. It was the battle royal I have waited my whole life to see... But every time they ran around with a shaky cam focusing on the people looking scared while you knew awesome Kaiju monsters were battling behind them... It had a Cloverfield feel to it.

It's pretty much my same complaint with the Bay transformers movies. They have the camera pointed at the wrong stuff. Overall I still rate it 8/10. What they did wrong... was really wrong. But what they did RIGHT... Knocked it CLEAR out of the park.
    WOW! I don't know what movie you were watching

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I loved this flick! Pretty much fixed the big issue that I had with the first Godzilla flick in 2014 -- barely showing any monsters and cutting away from the action to preserve the mystique of the monsters.

You definitely see the monsters now! Loved how Ghidora's heads "argued" with each other!

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I loved this flick! Pretty much fixed the big issue that I had with the first Godzilla flick in 2014 -- barely showing any monsters and cutting away from the action to preserve the mystique of the monsters.

You definitely see the monsters now! Loved how Ghidora's heads "argued" with each other!
    Yes! With the miracle of CGI, the heads actually have individual "personalities" now, rather than just bobbing up and down on piano wire...

Don't get me wrong, I love -in fact, prefer- the rubber monster suits, but there is something to be said when kaiju are produced in such a cool manner as in KOTM... heck, even in Japan they have started to use a lot of CG in their Ultraman shows - and I LOVE "Urutoroman"!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post

Yup it's a sequel that improves on the first film and let's see if Kong vs Godzilla be an improvement over 1962's movie.

We loved it! I liked the slow-burn of the first, but this is the sequel we needed for big, monstrous fun.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Heroic Warrior
    I really enjoyed the movie, too bad it is doing so bad at the box office. I really want more Godzilla movies and if Godzilla vs Kong doesn't make a lot of money then that will be it.

So, I went back and watched Shin Godzilla again for the first time in a long time... Man!..that is a great movie!

For anyone who hasn't seen/doesn't know what Shin Godzilla is, the best way I can describe it is as a political/government satire mixed with kaiju and wrapped up in a horror-esque package. Definitely not the Godzilla to which many are accustomed.

This is probably the most realized and frightening Godzilla since the original 1954 movie... very fast-paced and tense.

Check out the trailer:

I would recommend it to any Godzilla fan, if for nothing else than to see how horrific a real-life Godzilla encounter really would be.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    So, I went back and watched Shin Godzilla again for the first time in a long time... Man!..that is a great movie!

For anyone who hasn't seen/doesn't know what Shin Godzilla is, the best way I can describe it is as a political/government satire mixed with kaiju and wrapped up in a horror-esque package. Definitely not the Godzilla to which many are accustomed.

This is probably the most realized and frightening Godzilla since the original 1954 movie... very fast-paced and tense.

Check out the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6BIrQPNo-8

I would recommend it to any Godzilla fan, if for nothing else than to see how horrific a real-life Godzilla encounter really would be.
    Nahhh… Shin-Godzilla was boring. WAY too much of him standing around in a coma or recharging or whatever it was he was doing. If I recall correctly, by the time he actually mutated into a classic Godzilla... They showed him just standing still for over half an hour while people tried to figure out a way to dance through politics to make sure he stayed stopped... (Frankly my problem with the Netflix anime too... It was like everyone shooting a mountain that was bored and didn't even notice them....)

I was really looking forward to this as a 'continuation' after a previous meltdown... but the movie we got was a complete reboot/remake.

I'm sure there are fans of the type of movie that this was... but 'any Godzilla fan' isn't going to get what they're expecting....

It's a completely different animal. I miss the days where the stories were continued. Godzilla has had some long and awesome continuities... but there seems a driving desire to constantly retell the 'first meeting' with our favorite giant radioactive lizard. Even with the things I didn't like about G:KoM, I'm a lot quicker to recommend that one.

I think part of my dislike is the whole 'treat him like a natural disaster' that worked so well back in the 50's. But it isn't the 50's anymore.... and we've seen natural disaster movies that man can't withstand ALL THE TIME. Hurricanes, earthquakes, meteors, Sharknados…. There idea of Godzilla as something that JUST destroys the city while people run screaming... isn't interesting anymore.

Saw this last night, really enjoyed it, could have done with a bit less of the human drama though.