Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UGH, just when you thought it was safe to stick to comic movies...

UGH, just when you thought it was safe to stick to comic movies...

I cannot roll my eyes hard enough. Looks like I will be skipping Dark Phoenix and any other future X-Men movie that falls into this trap, which makes me sad. My original net handle was Dark Phoenix as I love the character.

The clip is SO cringe worthy as are the elements leading up to the 'muh girl power' moment. You can see the virtue signaling coming a mile away. They make Quicksilver look like a jerk and Professor X is a reckless glory hound all to set up Mystique for her feminist moment.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/06...ctoria-alonso/

PS. Disney - I am beginning to hate you.

Edited to add: X-Men has had that title for what 50 years now? X-Men is chock full of strong women. As a woman I never once took offense to the 'men' in the title. I always assumed it was about humanity not gender.
    Last edited by IceyCat; June 7, 2019 at 02:53pm.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    I cannot roll my eyes hard enough. Looks like I will be skipping Dark Phoenix and any other future X-Men movie that falls into this trap, which makes me sad. My original net handle was Dark Phoenix as I love the character.

The clip is SO cringe worthy as are the elements leading up to the 'muh girl power' moment. You can see the virtue signaling coming a mile away. They make Quicksilver look like a jerk and Professor X is a reckless glory hound all to set up Mystique for her feminist moment.

Edited to add: X-Men has had that title for what 50 years now? X-Men is chock full of strong women. As a woman I never once took offense to the 'men' in the title. I always assumed it was about humanity not gender.

even the critics seem to be hating this one. 16% on RT's.

I liked the first class and DOFP movies. A! was OK, but nothing great.

Didn't the original series of XMen movies end with Dark Pheonix? maybe they need to avoid this character..
    Respect is Earned. NOT Given, Away.

Year Three. Trumps still doing fine...and CLEARED. have a NICE day ;o)

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    Didn't the original series of XMen movies end with Dark Pheonix? maybe they need to avoid this character..
    I do not feel like it was a very good representation of the character. The orignal X-Men movies annoyed me because they tried to resolve decades of conflict in one short movie while making it palatable for main stream audiences.

- - - Updated - - -

As a woman I find stuff like this infuriating. Misandry is not cool. Strong women do not need to tear men down or make them out to be buffoons to make themselves look better. Maybe I am in the minority these days, but I think strong men and women compliment each other.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

Personally I don't like the X-Men films. Which is a shame as I really like the comics and cartoons.
    The casting of the movies have always been hit and miss.
    Last edited by Uki; June 9, 2019 at 07:42am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Personally I don't like the X-Men films. Which is a shame as I really like the comics and cartoons.
    The casting of the movies have always been hit and miss.
    The cartoons and comics are definitely better than anything they have put on the big screen.
    Last edited by Uki; June 9, 2019 at 07:42am.

The cartoons and comics are definitely better than anything they have put on the big screen.
    Expect DC to follow suit with "Wonder Non Gender Person".

Heroic Warrior
    As a woman I find stuff like this infuriating. Misandry is not cool. Strong women do not need to tear men down or make them out to be buffoons to make themselves look better. Maybe I am in the minority these days, but I think strong men and women compliment each other.
    they used too...

I've all but avoided the disney star wars book cannon.

so i've gone back and re read a few of the older books. and some of the few i missed, like the old republic quadrology.

God, I miss good writing that didn't have politics in it. men and women act like men and women...and no political crap anywhere to be scene..unless it's in universe.

at the point where i really do not go to the theater much anymore, and if i want to see something, i will just wait for home rental.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    they used too...

I've all but avoided the disney star wars book cannon.

so i've gone back and re read a few of the older books. and some of the few i missed, like the old republic quadrology.

God, I miss good writing that didn't have politics in it. men and women act like men and women...and no political crap anywhere to be scene..unless it's in universe.

at the point where i really do not go to the theater much anymore, and if i want to see something, i will just wait for home rental.
    This I completely 100% agree with every word.

Not Disney blame Fox they had to release this movie because by the time the acquisition went thru Disney had to release it... When the FF & X-Men get to the MCU your going to love it I know I'm looking forward to that day.......

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Not Disney blame Fox they had to release this movie because by the time the acquisition went thru Disney had to release it... When the FF & X-Men get to the MCU your going to love it I know I'm looking forward to that day.......
    I think Disney will do better with X-Men and Fantastic Four than anything Fox did with them.
    Fantastic Four 2015 was really terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    I know that Fox currently has them, but I think this lady was talking about the future of X-people/X-persons/X-folks

- - - Updated - - -

I think Disney will do better with X-Men and Fantastic Four than anything Fox did with them.
    Fantastic Four 2015 was really terrible.
    FF 2015 was HORRID! You know the other two flicks weren't perfect by any means, but they were at least a little more fun than the latest installment. I was never a fan of FF, so I could enjoy them. Mr. Fantastic freaks me out.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm starting to question if I am a real woman as I have zero tolerance for all of this female empowerment crap that is all the rage these days - LOL! Maybe it is because I have always just went out and did my thing and never asked people to accept it or acknowledge it or give me fanfare. I have the respect of a lot of men because of this. A lot of my friends are guys because I like comics and video games and things that most of my female friends hate. Even in college I stopped rooming with girls because they could be so petty. My best roommates were always guys.

Personally, I did not think the clip was anything to get that riled up about.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"All you have is your fire, and the place you need to reach
    Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash"
    - Hozier, "Arsonist's Lullabye"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    Personally, I did not think the clip was anything to get that riled up about.
    That is cool. I am just having a hard time with vilifying characters to elevate other characters. In my humble opinion they made two powerful men in the series look like total douche canoes in the space of a few minutes. And for what? Oddly enough a lot of the critiques I have seen of the movie have said that moment was totally cringe worthy. Not that I value critiques, but I was shocked. You would think some folks would be cheering from the roof tops.

That is cool. I am just having a hard time with vilifying characters to elevate other characters. In my humble opinion they made two powerful men in the series look like total douche canoes in the space of a few minutes. And for what? Oddly enough a lot of the critiques I have seen of the movie have said that moment was totally cringe worthy. Not that I value critiques, but I was shocked. You would think some folks would be cheering from the roof tops.
    Let's just hope it doesn't get to the level of Ghostbusters 2016.

Heroic Warrior
    Let's just hope it doesn't get to the level of Ghostbusters 2016.
    ni! he said the words again! nNNNNIIIiiiii!

sorry, saying that phrase sends certain people into a tizzy here ;o)

There does seem to be this weird disconnect with Hollywood and fans. If people dislike any movie it is never because Hollywood sucks at writing, it is because of misogyny or whatever they want to blame it on. This is one of my biggest pet peeves ever, people not taking responsibility for their failings. I am far from perfect and not beyond correction. If I am wrong about something and someone points it out I will at least try to better educate myself on the subject. I do not point my fingers and screech that the person offering the correction is *insert buzz word here*

This is kind of what I was hinting at in the Wonder Woman thread. Don't prove me to how great you are by tearing down another, just live life.

Of course I have also learned not to rely on the history that was taught to me as too much political influence is too be found.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I despise all [that] stuff in movies now, that is why I'm terrified about the 2021 movie. I don't need to have all the men in the movie to be stupid just to make the women look good. I don't need have any kind of politically changed messages either way. I just want a good escapist fantasy/sci fi adventure.
    Last edited by Uki; June 9, 2019 at 07:47am.
    I think it is time to explore the mythos beyond the time of SOH, or maybe I will eat a taco, either way I'm good.

Most people won't let it go because a remake was a terrible idea to start with regardless of the cast.
    Even if it had been an all male cast, the reaction to the reboot would have been the same.
    Then the behaviour of the director and cast only caused more angry reactions.
    Last edited by Uki; June 9, 2019 at 07:48am.

Most people won't let it go because a remake was a terrible idea to start with regardless of the cast.
    Even if it had been an all male cast, the reaction to the reboot would have been the same.
    I don't think people were right or wrong to like or dislike the film. But (from my perspective) it was the people who hated [that] stuff that kept the Ghostbusters thread going.

Then again, I'm a big believer in the theory 'the author is dead', so all the hand wringing about what people said and how it ties into elaborate conspiracy theories as to how some group or another is out to ruin fun for everybody is lost on me.
    Last edited by Uki; June 9, 2019 at 07:49am.

Honestly as a movie there was no reason to reboot it or remake it by using the name. A modern Ghostbusters movie would more follow the more paranormal investigators type shows that were more prevalent a few years back, or now mostly found on Youtube. But because those shows exist there really isn't a huge need. I am actually kind of worried for the sequel that's coming out because of that.

But different topic
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

The Ghostbusters reboot was dead to me before it even hit theaters. I disliked all of the press surrounding it. I honestly dislike the cast, they are NOT funny. Everything leading up to it put such a bad taste in my mouth I knew I would never see it. Then my friends went and I read their reviews and complaints and that just sealed the deal.

I actually love the social justice warrior elements of TV and film, I know that's not a "popular opinion" but it's who I am and how I feel. Progress and diversity are immensely important to me as a person.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Honestly as a movie there was no reason to reboot it or remake it by using the name. A modern Ghostbusters movie would more follow the more paranormal investigators type shows that were more prevalent a few years back, or now mostly found on Youtube. But because those shows exist there really isn't a huge need. I am actually kind of worried for the sequel that's coming out because of that.

But different topic
    I think the sequel be fine as it will be an actual sequel. If 2016 had been a sequel/spin off with those characters opening up shop in another location...and a better more original script the movie would have had a better reaction.

- - - Updated - - -

The Ghostbusters reboot was dead to me before it even hit theaters. I disliked all of the press surrounding it. I honestly dislike the cast, they are NOT funny. Everything leading up to it put such a bad taste in my mouth I knew I would never see it. Then my friends went and I read their reviews and complaints and that just sealed the deal.
    I went to see it as people kept saying you can't have an opinion on it until you watch it. I gave it a chance but it was awful. It's more like a really cheap and bad parody.

Back on topic.

I see the reviews of Dark Phoenix are not very good. I honestly really dislike all of the X-Men films.
    Maybe Disney will start using X-Force or something to seperate their movies from the others LOL.
    Last edited by Mark M; June 9, 2019 at 08:44am.

Just another reminder that all political discussion needs to happen in the Tar Swamp! If you feel this topic needs that element (it’s obviously a politically charged discussion), then open a new thread for it there.

Thank you for your cooperation!
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy