Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: UGH, just when you thought it was safe to stick to comic movies...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    If I was Disney I would be very leery of touching anything Howard the Duck related. Not because Howard is a bad character, but because the movie back in the '80s was so bad and so many people remember it. They stuck him in as an Easter egg a couple of times but I don't know if he's popular or well known enough to stick him in with Deadpool. The rest of these ideas look pretty good, but who knows what Disney would do.

If they did do a new Howard the Duck movie I would have to watch it. I had a very good friend who loved Howard the Duck that passed away last year. I'd have to see it at least once in his honor, and hopefully they would do it justice.

Do you think the movie killed the character's image? well the character has made a comeback lately in comics and film and in merchandise, plus an animated show for Hulu is in the works coming soon.

Howard the Duck is not a character designed for the children's market and his cartoon reboot show should reflect that even as a co-star on Deadpool 3.

People talk of the Ninja Turtles’ dark past, but even their original black & white comics weren’t *that* dark. The Ninja Turtles may not have started out as a series for kids, but it was still a light hearted satire of Frank Miller’s Daredevil and Ronin stories. Howard’s original comic book series written by Steve Gerber, however, was full of mature themes and quickly grew a cult following as Howard faced off against foes like Dr. Bong or sat out an entire issue while Gerber dished out existential musings on life. The mistake of Howard’s 1986 film was not that it featured some mature content, but the fact that it was ever produced with consideration for the children’s market at all. His reboot should steer clear of making the same mistake, finally delivering the film both Howard and we, the viewing public deserve. Howard should be shown debating liberal-arts hippies from the local university and encountering strange creatures named after double entendres, such as “Man-Thing” and it will be intended for adults like Heavy Metal, Wizards, Fire and Ice, Bojack Horseman, Various Japanimation, Duckman and any other adult cartoon.

I mean audiences accepted a talking raccoon with a tree for a friend and the fact Howard made a comeback in comics, animation and all will make people forget about the 1986 movie as much as Marvel Studios Captain America made people forget about the 70s TV movies and 1990 film and MCU's Daredevil made people forget about the 2003 film.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

One of my favourite musicians, Dominique Davalos shamefacedly admitted she appeared in Howard The Duck early on in her career and she said it was *NOT* the high point of her career and that she cringes every time someone brings this up.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Do you think the movie killed the character's image? well the character has made a comeback lately in comics and film and in merchandise, plus an animated show for Hulu is in the works coming soon.

Howard the Duck is not a character designed for the children's market and his cartoon reboot show should reflect that even as a co-star on Deadpool 3.

People talk of the Ninja Turtles’ dark past, but even their original black & white comics weren’t *that* dark. The Ninja Turtles may not have started out as a series for kids, but it was still a light hearted satire of Frank Miller’s Daredevil and Ronin stories. Howard’s original comic book series written by Steve Gerber, however, was full of mature themes and quickly grew a cult following as Howard faced off against foes like Dr. Bong or sat out an entire issue while Gerber dished out existential musings on life. The mistake of Howard’s 1986 film was not that it featured some mature content, but the fact that it was ever produced with consideration for the children’s market at all. His reboot should steer clear of making the same mistake, finally delivering the film both Howard and we, the viewing public deserve. Howard should be shown debating liberal-arts hippies from the local university and encountering strange creatures named after double entendres, such as “Man-Thing” and it will be intended for adults like Heavy Metal, Wizards, Fire and Ice, Bojack Horseman, Various Japanimation, Duckman and any other adult cartoon.

I mean audiences accepted a talking raccoon with a tree for a friend and the fact Howard made a comeback in comics, animation and all will make people forget about the 1986 movie as much as Marvel Studios Captain America made people forget about the 70s TV movies and 1990 film and MCU's Daredevil made people forget about the 2003 film.
    Not wanting to put words in someone else's mouth. I get what he's saying. And There are many many examples of handling it right. Batman Adam west - Tim burton, Joel Schumaker - Christopher Nolan. Aquaman Superfriends (Jerry Seinfield routine)- Recent movie (granted many animated spots in between had to help on that front).
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

So, I decided to give Dark Phoenix a try because the Dark Phoenix Saga is one of my all time favorite comic story lines. Yeah, it is a dumpster fire of a movie. The ONLY good thing about it is Magneto.

UGH.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    So, I decided to give Dark Phoenix a try because the Dark Phoenix Saga is one of my all time favorite comic story lines. Yeah, it is a dumpster fire of a movie. The ONLY good thing about it is Magneto.

UGH.
    Micheal fassbanders awesome isn't he? But yeah even he couldn't save this movie

UGH.
    All of the X-Men movies are absolute trash. Lately I have a real dislike for comic book movies.

Quote Originally Posted by davelove81 View Post
    Micheal fassbanders awesome isn't he? But yeah even he couldn't save this movie
    He is! I do not watch a lot of movies these days, but I really like him. I will have to check out his IMDB page and see what else he has been in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    All of the X-Men movies are absolute trash. Lately I have a real dislike for comic book movies.
    Yeah this one actually takes it to a whole new level of cringe and WTF - LOL! It had the continuity of an eight year old child's stream of conscious while playing with action figures. The fight sequences were by far the LAMEST fight sequences I have ever seen in an action movie. I have never been a fan of Cyclops, but this may have been the most annoying portrayal of him EVER.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

This has been pushed pretty far down my list of "Want To Watch Movies" at this point.

Maybe if it's on Netflix or something.
    And I'm in traction.

MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    This has been pushed pretty far down my list of "Want To Watch Movies" at this point.

Maybe if it's on Netflix or something.
    And I'm in traction.

Ha, don't do it!

He is! I do not watch a lot of movies these days, but I really like him. I will have to check out his IMDB page and see what else he has been in.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah this one actually takes it to a whole new level of cringe and WTF - LOL! It had the continuity of an eight year old child's stream of conscious while playing with action figures. The fight sequences were by far the LAMEST fight sequences I have ever seen in an action movie. I have never been a fan of Cyclops, but this may have been the most annoying portrayal of him EVER.
    Worst film continuity ever.

Worst film continuity ever.
    Here Here....

What about Logan, Deadpool 1 and 2 and X2 when it comes to X-Men movies?
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    What about Logan, Deadpool 1 and 2 and X2 when it comes to X-Men movies?
    All of the X-Men movies are terrible. That includes the spin offs.
    X2 is worse than X1.
    Logan is brutally boring. The Wolverine movies were all a mess. I didn't even like Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. He's too tall and looks more like a cosplayer with a Wolverine hair style and side burns.
    The Deadpool films have amusing scenes but the scripts are rubbish.

This may be the most unforgivable change ever when it comes to race swapping. They want to take a Jewish character who survived the Holocaust and change his origin story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiX7s8JrnwQ

I'm telling ya, modern movies are dead to me.

This may be the most unforgivable change ever when it comes to race swapping. They want to take a Jewish character who survived the Holocaust and change his origin story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiX7s8JrnwQ

I'm telling ya, modern movies are dead to me.
    Being Jewish and a Holocaust survivor gave Magnto an interesting back story...and anderstanding to his means of fighting for Mutant kind.
    I guess if they have a realistic time line they couldn't have Magnto be a Holocaust survivor since he would be well into his 80s. Unless they did some time travel or kept that bit from the comics of him being turned into an infant and aging again...
    But of course any white straight male character has to be changed.

Antisemitism is making a come back too If I had a nickel for every time I read something Antisemitic online I would be rich. I agree with Lucas, I grew up with these characters. I have a healthy respect for them. They almost feel like a friend or part of the family. Constantly changing them to meet some diversity quota is killing the comic industry and it will kill comic films eventually. Just stick to good story telling and character development and stop checking off boxes.

I see the argument for and against this. While I don’t doubt some changing to make the more timely swap as far as causes go, I also don’t know that it’s much different than a swap to make the timeline work. Of course, they could over complicate things and involve the multiverse idea to say they’re from a world in which the Nazis won or the Holocaust lasted longer or whathaveyou.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Heroic Warrior
    I think Modern Hollywood died with Endgame for me.

The Marvel movies where the last bastion of entertainment that reminded me of pre woke hollywood...where entertainment, character, story and effort mattered. I hardly ever go to the movies anymore.
    and now with my 110 projector screen, I don't really need to.

feels like i'm at the movies at home now.
    Respect is Earned. NOT Given, Away.

Year Three. Trumps still doing fine...and CLEARED. have a NICE day ;o)

I was so disappointed with End Game, I was really hoping it would be better than it was. I have no real desire to see Spiderman: Homecoming. I probably will watch it some day when I am bored to death. I hear good things about Mysterio, but Hollywood has just lost all of its appeal to me in general.

One of my favorite You Tuber's response to Bat Wahmen - LOL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isVGDh8XZZI

Heroic Warrior
    The scene where all the women gathered in End Game was beautiful, poetic, masterful cinema.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    The scene where all the women gathered in End Game was beautiful, poetic, masterful cinema.
    It was stunning and brave. When that happened I yelled 'Yas, sisters!' Then I stood up and did a slow clap with a tear in my eye.

Heroic Warrior
    It was stunning and brave. When that happened I yelled 'Yas, sisters!' Then I stood up and did a slow clap with a tear in my eye.
    Oh YASS! Me too! I stood and clapped during the scene. "Go, gurllls!" I'm pretty sure that's what I said, at least quietly to myself. I didn't want to make more a scene than I was.

Oh YASS! Me too! I stood and clapped during the scene. "Go, gurllls!" I'm pretty sure that's what I said, at least quietly to myself. I didn't want to make more a scene than I was.
    I stood up and did Daniel Bryan "Yes!" chants until the end of the movie and credits.

Heroic Warrior
    I stood up and did Daniel Bryan "Yes!" chants until the end of the movie and credits.
    Oh please stop! My heart can't take this beautiful, brave, and stunning moment!

I genuinely did like that scene! I thought " think of the amount of sandwiches they could make me"