Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU SDCC Exclusives - He-Man/Prince Adam Two Pack and Mega Construx Battle Bones

Heroic Warrior
    Ooofff…I'm not so upset about this being a SDCC exclusive after seeing the higher res pics on Mattel's preorder page. The hip articulation looks horrible and so does the elbow hinge. I'm glad that the 4H are resculpting the articulation for this particular line because Mattel really did a hatchet job. IF I were ever to be able to get this set it'd definitely stay MOC. The packaging really sells the set.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

I Didn't Slap You! I High-Fived You In The Face!

I really hope they make this set available to all fans, everywhere. Not all MOTU fans can go to SDCC, and not all MOTU fans live in the US. Really, really want to get my hands on this set.

I’ve seen quite a bit of resistance to this new line among MOTUC fans, and I understand where they’re coming from. They’ve been collecting that line for over a decade now, and for a lot of them it is the definitive version of Masters. For me, having grown up with the vintage line, the Filmation cartoon, and the ‘87 live action film, MOTUC never really clicked with me. I tried collecting it off and on over the years, but for me those figures sucked the MOTU out of those characters. If I look at the silhouette of an average MOTUC figure, it looks like a generic six inch action figure. If I look at the silhouette of a vintage figure, it distinctly identifies as Masters of the Universe. So much so that the recent Thundercats, DC, Mortal Kombat, and horror movie 5.5 inch figure lines ripped that look off to capitalize on MOTU indirectly. None of those figures would stand out if they had ripped off the MOTUC buck. The vintage line just is Masters of the Universe, and I think this Origins line taking those figures and updating them with modern articulation and accessories is the smartest thing Mattel could have possibly done. I really hope this line takes off, and the 2021 film figures are made in this style as well.
    You may have defeated us, but you'll never see this child again!

Quote Originally Posted by Nemescream View Post
    I’ve seen quite a bit of resistance to this new line among MOTUC fans, and I understand where they’re coming from. They’ve been collecting that line for over a decade now, and for a lot of them it is the definitive version of Masters. For me, having grown up with the vintage line, the Filmation cartoon, and the ‘87 live action film, MOTUC never really clicked with me. I tried collecting it off and on over the years, but for me those figures sucked the MOTU out of those characters. If I look at the silhouette of an average MOTUC figure, it looks like a generic six inch action figure. If I look at the silhouette of a vintage figure, it distinctly identifies as Masters of the Universe. So much so that the recent Thundercats, DC, Mortal Kombat, and horror movie 5.5 inch figure lines ripped that look off to capitalize on MOTU indirectly. None of those figures would stand out if they had ripped off the MOTUC buck. The vintage line just is Masters of the Universe, and I think this Origins line taking those figures and updating them with modern articulation and accessories is the smartest thing Mattel could have possibly done. I really hope this line takes off, and the 2021 film figures are made in this style as well.
    I agree with everything you’ve said here. I much prefer the 5.5” to the MOTUC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    I really hope they make this set available to all fans, everywhere. Not all MOTU fans can go to SDCC, and not all MOTU fans live in the US. Really, really want to get my hands on this set.
    I completely agree with your statement, since many fans like myself are at the other corner of the world. I understand the marketing stunt, but MOTU has always had a heavy international support, and it must be considered as well for the upcoming movie
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders(

My feedback thread

Personal Service Provider Agostinho's Avatar
    I haven't been this excited in a long time. Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by mizterfish View Post
    I agree with everything you’ve said here. I much prefer the 5.5” to the MOTUC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I ended up selling off all my Classics in favor of collecting vintage. I also prefer the 5.5" format, although Classics are great too.

Quote Originally Posted by manowar View Post
    From the website, it says you have to show up in person with a badge to claim your order, then it will be shipped out August 12 th ... I believe, so you still have to attend and show up with a badge to the Mattel booth.

From the Mattel shop website..

* Purchase limits may apply, and amounts may differ per item and per customer. Pre-sale order shipping available in all locations serviced by the Mattel Shop. Orders made by the same customer in excess of the limit will not be honored. Discounts, offers, and promotions cannot be applied to San Diego Comic-Con items.
    Attendee must confirm pre-sale purchase by checking in at the Mattel booth (#2945) at the 2019 San Diego Comic-Con: San Diego Convention Center, 111 Harbor Dr., San Diego, CA 92101, July 17 from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM, July 18–20 from 9:30 AM to 7:00 PM, or July 21 from 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM. Attendee must show their 2019 San Diego Comic-Con badge, their ID, and order confirmation. The name on the SDCC attendee badge and ID must match the name on the order. Order will be shipped after the event ends.
    Argh! That is ridiculous... why couldn't Mattel just let people order them and pay through PayPal/CC and have them shipped to the address associated with said account?

Quote Originally Posted by Voltor View Post
    I really hate being negative but I feel I'm going to have to pass on this line. I really like the character designs and all but I just can't go through all the emotions of starting all over on another toy line of the same characters i already have. I mean how many different He-Man and Skeletor figures does one person need.
    Um, all of them?
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

What a better way of kicking off a new line than to put it in the hands of the most collectors possible.

Making it exclusive and limited might make it "coveted", which years ago was synonymous with "collectable", but it only works in favor for the people who are willing to flip it for a major profit.

I really appreciate those who will pick up extra for the people who can't attend and would rather give them the money than someone on Ebay.

Put as many figures out in the hands of the collectors, and they'll continue to collect the rest of the line. If you make it limited, you're alienating your own customers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by manowar; June 18, 2019 at 01:02am.

The artwork of the box looks really great! But is there a reason why Alfredo Alcala is not listed in the credits? And Rudy Obrero too.

I will buy, please take my money Mattel, please do a pre-order on this, if these show up on ebay for double the price I'm out, you release the best Skeletor ever created to mass retail next year I won't even give it a second glance if you screw us over with your first offering.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit View Post
    The artwork of the box looks really great! But is there a reason why Alfredo Alcala is not listed in the credits? And Rudy Obrero too.
    All the artwork is in the style of Alfredo Alcala, but actually illustrated by Axel Giménez. I want to say Val did the colors?

Alfredo's early minicomic artwork was really closely based on Mark Taylor's concepts. The only place where it varies from that source material is perhaps Skeletor's face.
    Last edited by Lich Leech; June 18, 2019 at 10:49am.

While not interested in this practical product Alcala Skeletor in this style, with possibly Beastman and Mer-man... I might have to order. Hopefully some prototype shots to be seen in Comic Con or Power Con!

Turbo Orangutan Kosmic JimPansen's Avatar
    I had a dream last night! 5.5 Alcala Fisto fully articulated baby!!!
    Fisto_1.jpgFisto_2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JimPansen View Post
    I had a dream last night! 5.5 Alcala Fisto fully articulated baby!!!
    Fisto_1.jpgFisto_2.jpg
    Heck yes!

How about a minicomic Whiplash too?

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    All the artwork is in the style of Alfredo Alcala, but actually illustrated by Axel Giménez. I want to say Val did the colors?

Alfredo's early minicomic artwork was really closely based on Mark Taylor's concepts. The only place where it varies from that source material is perhaps Skeletor's face.
    Yes i know that Axel and Val (and Nate?) did the illustrations for the box and that Alcala used Mark Taylors designs for his artwork. I was referring to the fact that the new illustrations are based on the comic artwork from Alcala (the panels, the very first mini comic cover and the poses of the characters). I don't want to blame the team behind this. They all did a perfect job of replicating and modernising the well known artwork from Alcala. It was also the best solution to hire Axel for this. He is such a great illustrator. And Val and Nate too (for their coloring and other parts of the design). But it would be cool if Alcala get's the credit he deserves for his inspiring work on MotU. For those people who don't know who he is and what he has done. It was a huge impact on all those who grew up with MotU before Filmation (like myself).

I know that Axel gave Alcala the credits in some of his own artwork which he shows regularly on Facebook or here on .org ("Axel after Alcala"). That was always nice.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by dan768 View Post
    My gut feeling is that this Origins line is just that. It's a toy line that'll fill in the time between now and the release of the film (probably a year run). A nod to where Masters of the Universe started. Once the film comes out, there will be a new toy line that replaces it.

I grew up with this style of figure when I was a kid (yep, I'm one of the oldies ) but I'm just not feeling it at this stage of where we've come. I've got all of the classics releases since the start in 2008 and so (forgive me - just my opinion) this just feels a little bit of a backwards step at this stage.

It's good to have this at retail (if indeed this is where it goes) and it's good to try to get interest in the run up but I'm going to give it a miss.

Mega Construx is the one that's rocking my boat at the moment. It's something that we've just not really had in MOTU and I'm liking the detail that LEGO mini figures just don't have.
    I don't know - when I look at the new head I see a new cartoon look. I thought there was talk of a new He-man cartoon, it would make sense to do a Netflix cartoon to get kids and their parents exposed to he-man before a movie is launched. If you take everything that was said in the past - they wouldn't have action figures in retail without media behind it

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit View Post
    Yes i know that Axel and Val (and Nate?) did the illustrations for the box and that Alcala used Mark Taylors designs for his artwork. I was referring to the fact that the new illustrations are based on the comic artwork from Alcala (the panels, the very first mini comic cover and the poses of the characters). I don't want to blame the team behind this. They all did a perfect job of replicating and modernising the well known artwork from Alcala. It was also the best solution to hire Axel for this. He is such a great illustrator. And Val and Nate too (for their coloring and other parts of the design). But it would be cool if Alcala get's the credit he deserves for his inspiring work on MotU. For those people who don't know who he is and what he has done. It was a huge impact on all those who grew up with MotU before Filmation (like myself).

I know that Axel gave Alcala the credits in some of his own artwork which he shows regularly on Facebook or here on .org ("Axel after Alcala"). That was always nice.
    Oh I see what you mean. Yes, that would be nice. We all know it's in the style of Alcala, but it would be good to have it mentioned somewhere in there regardless. Maybe it is - the pics we've seen so far are a bit low res when you try to zoom in.

Turbo Orangutan Kosmic JimPansen's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Lich Leech;3842611]Heck yes!

How about a minicomic Whiplash too?

Sure, but i would take any version of Whiplash

Heroic Warrior
    MOTUC is the definitive line for me, but a semi-articulated 5.5" line based on minicomic illustrations would interest me greatly. If Mattel do this right it could be a smart move. They'll have to sell internationally though, which their online shop stopped doing.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by JimPansen View Post

Sure, but i would take any version of Whiplash
    Why not? I think they could do multiple versions of all the characters in this style (especially with the Four Horsemen involved and working out some of the bugs)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    I feel the same way

Maybee they produce it a second time, because so many people missed out...

Canadian 3-packs hunter bObA_fEtt_Ox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by king.of.grayskull View Post
    I feel the same way

Maybee they produce it a second time, because so many people missed out...
    I think they could sell them as single carded figures, maybe the ones boxed as a 2-pack was just an exclusive limited edition.
    $$$$$ WANT TO BUY, HIGHTEST PRICES OFFERED $$$$$

>>>>> Heroic warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil Warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil horde 3-pack <<<<<

$$$$$ Email:bObA_fEtt1979@hotmail.com $$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by bObA_fEtt_Ox View Post
    I think they could sell them as single carded figures, maybe the ones boxed as a 2-pack was just an exclusive limited edition.
    That's exactly what they will do. People complaining about not being able to get exclusives are pretty ridiculous. Someone even went so far and started an online petition demanding these be made available to everyone. These will be remade as single carded figures later on. Just buy them when they come out as single figures. If you absolutely must have the exclusives then either go to comic con, or pay second hand prices on ebay. That's the whole point of making exclusives... you know so they're exclusive to the con. If you're a completeist who can't afford to go to SDCC or pay second hand prices, than maybe you shouldn't be a completeist.
    Hit me up on instagram @MOTUdoobs