Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU SDCC Exclusives - He-Man/Prince Adam Two Pack and Mega Construx Battle Bones

Whoa! Those look amazing!!

Argh! I really want this set!!!

Thanks for posting the pics!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Well, I guess the perfect marriage of vintage and classics is fantastically executed by Mattel on this origins set.... it doesn't take much effort to envision it becoming a line branching on all motu lore from all media, toys and other references....happy for those who wanted it and will have it.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

The whole idea of the line, IMO, is a very good one by Mattel.

Heroic Warrior
    Quick package pics. The grayskull is embossed. Very nice stuff.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    www.toyjesus.com
    All your MOTU Sticker and Instruction needs!

Does anybody else find the hair yellow to be too saturated / flashy? Their look more like straw-colored or almost dirty in the original mini-comics and it makes him more edgy / gritty...
    Upcoming book THE PUNISHER: THE UNTOLD STORY OF AN 80s CULT CLASSIC
    www.twitter.com/punisher_book
    www.instagram.com/punisher_book
    www.facebook.com/ThePunisher.FilmBook

Quote Originally Posted by Jox View Post
    Does anybody else find the hair yellow to be too saturated / flashy? Their look more like straw-colored or almost dirty in the original mini-comics and it makes him more edgy / gritty...
    Yes. The banana yellow is awful.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "This supersoaker is full of urine and RAGE!!! Mostly urine."

Heroic Warrior AntiEternia He-Man's Avatar
    Hopefully the yellow gets toned down a bit at retail. Especially since the 4 Horsemen are reworking them for that purpose. Even if it doesn’t I really like these.

Got to give Mattel their props this is pretty awesome!! And this is without the 4 Horsemen's touch.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiEternia He-Man View Post
    Hopefully the yellow gets toned down a bit at retail. Especially since the 4 Horsemen are reworking them for that purpose. Even if it doesn’t I really like these.
    Honestly, I think they were very much going for comic book colors with this release and that retail will go more for toy aesthetic.

Probably slight color adjustments. No frosting on the boots; if there is extra detail it would probably be on the straps. More muted hair. Maybe the asymmetrical bracers.

I think they were struggling to make this "different" as a comics homage so they could make retail distinct. And for retail, a more overt toy tribute or Filmation tribute (or both at different points) makes sense to me.

For my money, Mega Construx shows they're grappling with how to make VERY SUBTLE variations so they can do a bunch of He-Man and Skeletor releases without getting wacky. This lets them continuously release iconic looking He-Mans and Skeletors to "anchor" the line so that new collectors always have a "jump on" point instead of the "you snooze you lose" approach of Super7 and Matty Collector.

I fully expect Skeletor will get a bunch of subtle color variants. Half boots, full boots, bare feet, slightly different blues and purples and armor decos.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Toyjesus View Post
    OK, so a quick review. First, so you know where I'm coming from, I have the Classics line and once owned the 200X line and to be honest, I've never been a fan. No disrespect to the sculptors, but the line to me is plagued with poor break-up of articulation, loose joints, etc. that just took loving a toy out of the mix. The 200X line was visually great, but as a sturdy toy filled with play quality I felt it was weak. I am still, however, a lover of the vintage line. I thought the giants were great and I love the Super7 3 3/4 inch line. So, take any review with that in mind.

So the new figure really is an attempt to give the vintage figure some joints and articulation. They still have the appearance of the slightly diminutive leg proportions like the vintage but you can also straighten the leg and get it looking more like regular proportions. You can pose it to look just like the vintage figure or the cross-sell art. It looks cool. The head is close to vintage, not perfect, but close. There is still a hesitation on the vintage head to make He-Man actually look a bit mean or angry. The feet move forward and back and have an ankle pivot. The top of the boot allows for turning of the lower calf. The knee has a swivel and forward/backward motion. The legs pivot nicely, but don't move forward as nicely or easily to put the figure in a seated position but maybe I'm not pushing enough. The waist is to be expected, no spring loaded action. The arms have articulation in the wrist and the elbow has swivel and forward and back movement. The head has a nice ball joint range, like classics...same connection to swap (neck pin). The shoulders are pretty cool and the arms open up. The only thing missing here is there is a desire to move the arm at the bicep and you can't, but no biggie. The harness hangs a bit low in the front, in my opinion, and it's interesting that the red squares continue onto the back of the harness, as we are used to three on both sides. The shield stays on the arm nicely enough. There is another hand that you can use that actually holds onto the shield, but it doesn't seem to go on nicely and keep holding it...but again, I'm impatient so perhaps I'm not doing it right.

I do prefer the vintage head on He-Man, but it doesn't look quite right on Adam. Adam is a bit more blonde and a bit more pale to help differentiate. Also, the earlier comment about the way that the pieces are arranged in the box....they did this beautifully. There is a clear overlay that is designed to simply lift off the figures allowing you to get them out without destroying any of the package. It's great...and the pieces hide behind the overlay. You don't see them. There are also a few "comic" pages, printed on thick board, that have a bit of origin on them. It's pretty damn nice. I didn't take photos of all that because my kid was shooting water guns and I wanted to protect it as quickly as possible from water fallout.

Also, I can't tell for sure, but it seems like the chest might be slightly smaller but the head seems slightly bigger. So, in the end, my biggest gripes (and they aren't very big) are that the head is microscopically too large, the feet IMO don't really need the articulation or could have been ratcheted, boost that harness a bit, and maybe the bicep could have a joint. He-Man's hair color is a bit off to me. Don't take these negatives as a burn to the figure. I'm picky. I love this thing. Prince Adam gets left behind though...bring ON SKELETOR!

The last thing I noticed is that the right hand does hold the sword and the ax, I thought it was strange that both weapons have different thicknesses in the handles, so the ax is just a tiny bit looser.

Hope this gives a bit of clarity for those looking forward to it. I think it's great.
    Foot pegs, yes or no?

By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Yes. They have foot pegs, larger peg that is used nowadays, located in the heel.
    www.toyjesus.com
    All your MOTU Sticker and Instruction needs!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    Worthy of being a special exclusive release. Good work Mattel.
    Indeed.

I mean, this Origins pack looks like an awesome offering for MOTU Classics fans who grew up with the original MOTU line. That said, these Origins are not Classics compatible as far as their scale and subtle style differences otherwise.

To expand on this, I wrote this in another thread that mentioned "Origins":

"Is "Origins" even a verifiable line that's moving forward?

I'll check the rest of the forum to see if there's an "Origins" thread (other than the SDCC exclusives thread) that may shed light on an overall line.... other than that, if you have any more info on the legitimacy of a full-blown MOTU Origins line, please share (info...a link to info...etc)."

My point is, if Origins is actually a line... it surely deserves its own .org thread other than THIS thread. Correct? I could be wrong about that.

If Origins is currently an exclusive, then I think that status should be clearer around the .org... or maybe I'm just too easily confused...anyways, IF it's practical for the board as a whole, I suggest a greater attempt at clarity... heck, a practical purpose for this (a purpose above potentially less confusion) would be to get more answers out of Mattel themselves--- as "fan talk" often does.

Quote Originally Posted by Webstor's Ghost View Post
    Indeed.

I mean, this Origins pack looks like an awesome offering for MOTU Classics fans who grew up with the original MOTU line. That said, these Origins are not Classics compatible as far as their scale and subtle style differences otherwise.

To expand on this, I wrote this in another thread that mentioned "Origins":

"Is "Origins" even a verifiable line that's moving forward?

I'll check the rest of the forum to see if there's an "Origins" thread (other than the SDCC exclusives thread) that may shed light on an overall line.... other than that, if you have any more info on the legitimacy of a full-blown MOTU Origins line, please share (info...a link to info...etc)."

My point is, if Origins is actually a line... it surely deserves its own .org thread other than THIS thread. Correct? I could be wrong about that.

If Origins is currently an exclusive, then I think that status should be clearer around the .org... or maybe I'm just too easily confused...anyways, IF it's practical for the board as a whole, I suggest a greater attempt at clarity... heck, a practical purpose for this (a purpose above potentially less confusion) would be to get more answers out of Mattel themselves--- as "fan talk" often does.
    If Origins becomes, or is planned on being a line, how will the figures be presented? Will they continue this concept where you have this AWESOME display box, and perhaps a new articulated version of an original MOTU figure, as well as a reimagined version that appeared in a mini-comic? Is this a one shot , where He-man and Prince Adam are only paired up. Will they be offered individually?

I would love to see Mattel continue this concept and pair up a figure. Either with an articulated version and a comic version, or even if there were 2 figures featured in a mini-comic, that they would be paired up in a display box recreating a scene.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Heroic Warrior
    Origins has not been announced. It was leaked by one of the Four Horsemen. He deleted the Facebook posts about it (which I saw) but did confirm to PixelDan who reported on it.

Mods have noted the Classics forum is a catch-all for Mattel product including Mega Construx until Mattel does more to a point that might warrant separate forums. This is, if I understand it, the section for all post-200x Mattel product. I will note that I think splitting might be a GOOD idea because Origins may have its own fans and already seems polarizing to Classics.

It is supposed to be a full line. It is supposed to be a retail line.

It appears to be a roughly $20 per figure (or less) retail line. Packaging like this is VERY unlikely on a regular basis.

The articulation and sculpts are being reworked. This preview looks to be in house at Mattel, based heavily on vintage molds. Four Horsemen (who did MOTUC and S7 vintage’s basic sculpts) will be sculpting the designs with suggested articulation.

It would be INSANE for retail not to get a He-Man and unlikely for retail not to get an Adam. They will probably have color differences and likely sculpting differences.

As best as I can piece together, the line itself is a reimagining of the vintage TOYS. Not Filmation, at least at first. Not the mini-comics. What makes the SDCC set special is that it focused on minicomics versions. Retail is likely to change colors and sculpt for a vintage toy and merchandise based design.

The con exclusive is minicomics based because that’s perceived as the more obscure retro take that appeals to congoers whereas retail will be more mainstream focused, aimed at the kind of folks who might not know that Classics or 200x existed, young and old.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrala View Post

As best as I can piece together, the line itself is a reimagining of the vintage TOYS. Not Filmation, at least at first. Not the mini-comics. What makes the SDCC set special is that it focused on minicomics versions. Retail is likely to change colors and sculpt for a vintage toy and merchandise based design.
    What makes you think retail will be toy based and not minicomics based? The name of the line suggests (to me) minicomics based, but maybe they mean something else by origins.

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    What makes you think retail will be toy based and not minicomics based? The name of the line suggests (to me) minicomics based, but maybe they mean something else by origins.
    I think by origins they mean what most people will think of as the Motu original toys. It leads me to believe that this line is intended to drum up nostalgia for the line ahead of the movie and then the movie line of figures will be the new MOTU going forward and this origins line will disappear. I would not be surprised if this line only lasted a year before that shift. Think about how Transformers toy lines change ahead of each new animated show and movie. There's never a retail based line that stays consistent throughout. Those types of lines, like Masterpiece figures, are collector based not retail. I think we might get 8-12 figures in this Origins line and that's it. Probably not ever any vehicles or playsets either.

"This supersoaker is full of urine and RAGE!!! Mostly urine."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by mossgreen View Post
    I think by origins they mean what most people will think of as the Motu original toys. It leads me to believe that this line is intended to drum up nostalgia for the line ahead of the movie and then the movie line of figures will be the new MOTU going forward and this origins line will disappear. I would not be surprised if this line only lasted a year before that shift. Think about how Transformers toy lines change ahead of each new animated show and movie. There's never a retail based line that stays consistent throughout. Those types of lines, like Masterpiece figures, are collector based not retail. I think we might get 8-12 figures in this Origins line and that's it. Probably not ever any vehicles or playsets either.

Transformers did try a nostalgia line to drum up anticipation for the first Bay movie.

That was called Classics. It became Universe (2.0) and ultimately Generations, which had a series of sub lines including Thrilling 30, Combiner Wars, Titans Return, Power of the Primes, and now War for Cybertron Siege.

It took breathers for movie toys but is now arguably the flagship.

Generations runs alongside two series at a time. One is usually a movie line, which is now Studio Series. The other is a cheaper kids line. Which Prime turned into followed by Robots in Disguise and now Cyberverse.

Marvel stuff has been somewhat similar. Although comics and movies share a line, comics tend to dominate between movie waves and then you have cheap figures, which roughly share a scale and get gimmick vehicles and playsets (which Marvel Legends are technically compatible with).

My guess would be that a couple of waves of Origins will mix movie and vintage characters before going back to vintage. And that there will be a cheap line of 5.5s featuring a mix of designs and vehicles/playsets with air power and spring gimmicks.

Quote Originally Posted by mossgreen View Post
    I think we might get 8-12 figures in this Origins line and that's it. Probably not ever any vehicles or playsets either.
    At this point, we don't know much about Origins, so I think a limit of 8-12 figures is entirely possible. It could be a nostalgia-grab / test-the-waters-at-retail kind of thing.

- - - Updated - - -

That said, THIS is what I would rather have happen:

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrala View Post
    My guess would be that a couple of waves of Origins will mix movie and vintage characters before going back to vintage.
    I have no doubt that everybody will have a chance to get He-Man and Adam at retail. Logic dictates they will be released as singles on bubble cards with fewer accessories. There also seems to be a heavy focus on the early mini-comics designs / art, which translates to pure awesomeness.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; June 27, 2019 at 01:02pm.
    Odd Man Out

Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    I have no doubt that everybody will have a chance to get He-Man and Adam at retail. Logic dictates they will be released as singles on bubble cards with fewer accessories. There also seems to be a heavy focus on the early mini-comics designs / art, which translates to pure awesomeness.
    I hope the focus is on comic designs. It would be weird to introduce a line with that style but not have it be the focus going forward.

Original 82 figures were mainly based on the comics, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by ChipNSC7 View Post
    Original 82 figures were mainly based on the comics, correct?
    Well, many of the comic looks were based on concept and prototype designs that were available for reference before the actual toys were finalized. The toys themselves were usually further refined (often cost reduced), but it was too late to update the comics to reflect those changes, which is why you often see different looks in the comics vs the toys. Sometimes the differences are fairly subtle, sometimes they're more obvious.

Thank you for the info. Sounds like the comics were more based on the early toy designs.

Do the 12-Back figures, plus Evil-lyn, and I'm good!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Do the 12-Back figures, plus Evil-lyn, and I'm good!
    Oh they will get to all the 12 back characters eventually. But before you see a Mekanek you can guarantee there will be a Spector or 2 in there. They gotta keep you wanting more. Or maybe, they will never finish the 12 back because they try to sell you Spector's before the line is shut down. Who knows. At least if some are missing you can just use actual vintage figures to go with them since they are in the same scale and style.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon766 View Post
    Oh they will get to all the 12 back characters eventually. But before you see a Mekanek you can guarantee there will be a Spector or 2 in there. They gotta keep you wanting more. Or maybe, they will never finish the 12 back because they try to sell you Spector's before the line is shut down. Who knows. At least if some are missing you can just use actual vintage figures to go with them since they are in the same scale and style.
    This has me really on the fence about Super7 She-Ra and He-Ro.

I canceled my preorder after QC frustration with He-Man and Skeletor.

I doubt She-Ra gets a vintage style figure in that scale for a long time. But I’m also kinda scared her legs will fall off if I buy her. He-Ro sounds like a better quality fig but I can see Origins doing him if they slip in newer characters.