Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Could He-Man be openly gay in a new media adaptation?

Skeletor's Right Hand Man Megalodon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Not all remakes "suck", there are a lot of remakes that outshine the original, the movie musical Gypsy for example, the 1962 version with Rosalind Russell, Natalie Wood, and Karl Malden was good, but the 1993 remake with Bette Midler, Cynthia Gibb, and Peter Riegert was far better, and the remake corrected a mistake from the earlier version by reinstating the song Together, Wherever We Go (performed by the three leads) which had been cut from the original movie.
    My opinion....This is all about what everyone thinks right? NOT A One way street? I'm entitled to think that way I do as well as you OK?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Streamside View Post
    Did other heroes with secret identities have a similar resonance, or just Adam?
    Just Adam simply because I wasn't really into reading comics as a kid.

While on topic…I don't feel as if an existing character that's clearly been established has having feelings for the opposite sex should be suddenly switched to being gay just for the sake of having He-Man be gay. It's a flimsy decision to do these things. Fine for other characters that weren't really fleshed out in that aspect but no. Don't change an existing character. I didn't like it when they did it to Sulu in the Kelvin Timeline Star Trek films…and neither did George Takei.

Having said all that…MotU has always been a diverse line of characters where everyone had a place and personal gifts to offer. If one of the other characters were said to be gay simply as part of a plot then that only strengthens the diversity even more.
    Last edited by chuc98; July 12, 2019 at 07:34pm.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post

While on topic…I don't feel as if an existing character that's clearly been established has having feelings for the opposite sex should be suddenly switched to being gay just for the sake of having He-Man be gay. It's a flimsy decision to do these things. Fine for other characters that weren't really fleshed out in that aspect but no. Don't change an existing character. I didn't like it when they did it to Sulu in the Kelvin Timeline Star Trek films…and neither did George Takei.

Having said all that…MotU has always been a diverse line of characters where everyone had a place and personal gifts to offer. If one of the other characters were said to be gay simply as part of a plot then that only strengthens the diversity even more.
    Yes, a voice of reason! Well put!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post

I agree. Very well said.

Please stay on topic. This thread is about could He-Man be openly gay in a new media adaptation, so please make sure your posts relate to that. Also, posts that are more political in nature belong in our Tar Swamp forum. Access to that forum can be gotten through a PM request to administor dorrmann.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I completely disagree, everything should have equality and diversity. I still believe being progressive is the best thing, even if there isn't evidence to show this. If there are poor sales of progressive stories, I have to question the audience and not the property. There have to be deeper issues that some people have that would indicate these poor sales. You can't always blame the property in such incidents. I'm not saying you should always blame the audience of course, but there has to be some underlying issue that people have against diversity that is troubling.
    Sadly this sums up the SJW, virtue-signalling mindset - 'if you don't think like me you're a knuckle-dragging ignorant heathen'. 'Progressive' is such a misnomer - it's all about groupthink. Thankfully there are many people - critically from incredibly diverse backgrounds - who reject the progressive message and talk about valuing people on their merits and not their orientation, melanin, DNA heritage etc.

That's why I love people like Douglas Murray (gay), John McWhorter (black) and Maajid Nawaz (muslim) who fight for fairness while rejecting the labelling, identity politics and victimology that leftists love enforcing.

Diversity for the sake of diversity is incredibly discriminatory and ultimately self-defeating. How sad that we've gone from the meritocracy of "I have a dream" to quotas and 'positive' discrimination.

Quote Originally Posted by Scare Glow View Post
    Mikey, the issue is that He-Man is a character with nearly four decades of history, spread across a myriad of series and media. In many ways, He-Man, along with most modern tales of super hero's and the like are our modern myths and stories, in the vein of the Odyssey or the tales of Heracles of antiquity.

These tales may have their genesis in marketing, but for many of us, they are a fundamental part of our youth, helping to shape who we were and how we perceived the world. As adults, characters like He-Man are deeply important to us, and considering how much time and monetary investment we have committed to these brands, it goes without saying that we feel both a kinship and a perceived duty to protect both the spirit and canonical integrity of the character and wider narrative.

The issue in not, nor has it ever been, viewing gay characters negatively. The issue is that needlessly changing an established character, with decades of well established history, is simply pandering to currently popular identity politics. Such an action is an insult to all involved, possibly most deeply, to the group being pandered to. Changes of this type marginalize the group in question, primarily because it sends the message that characters like themselves are incapable of being good enough, compelling enough and are not enough of a draw to warrant a new character being created. This erroneous attitude necessitates the hijacking of something previously proven and beloved, so as to lazily bootstrap whatever current political veneer is in vogue at the moment.

I don't want He-Man changed in this way, and I suspect most dont. I want the canonical integrity of the character preserved, and deeply believe that gays, and every other minority group, deserve better. They deserve original, compelling and we'll written characters, which can, on their own merrit, stand alongside and as tall as He-Man.
    This is the most eloquent statement in this thread and I agree completely. It gets to the heart of the matter. The canon is important. It's what has kept us here for decades. Tampering with it purely for the sake of diversity, rather than coming up with something new, is about the agenda, not the story.

One point I want to emphasise is that He-Man is a toy. Regardless of people's personal interpretation, there doesn't need to be an explicit expression of adult sexuality on a character created for kids.

(I get that Adam's secret identity was important and symbolic to some, but it was an interpretation, not an obvious theme. Similarly, He-Man's relationship with Teela and other women in the DC comics and minicomics indicated heterosexuality, but it was background, not the point of the story.)

One could argue that the very word he-man represents masculinity, so deliberately making him gay wouldn't really work.

As a writer, I've included gay characters in my books, but not for the sake of diversity. I've done it because it works in the situation and I like the characters. Ultimately, though, it's background detail, not a statement.

When it's done for an agenda it doesn't work. Star Trek: Discovery is a case in point. It was impossible to empathise with the characters because it was virtue signalling, not storytelling. Same thing in Blindspot. And definitely the same when Zodac was turned black.

Let's just stick with good versus evil when it comes to He-Man.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull View Post
    Sadly this sums up the SJW, virtue-signalling mindset - 'if you don't think like me you're a knuckle-dragging ignorant heathen'. 'Progressive' is such a misnomer - it's all about groupthink. Thankfully there are many people - critically from incredibly diverse backgrounds - who reject the progressive message and talk about valuing people on their merits and not their orientation, melanin, DNA heritage etc.

That's why I love people like Douglas Murray (gay), John McWhorter (black) and Maajid Nawaz (muslim) who fight for fairness while rejecting the labelling, identity politics and victimology that leftists love enforcing.

Diversity for the sake of diversity is incredibly discriminatory and ultimately self-defeating. How sad that we've gone from the meritocracy of "I have a dream" to quotas and 'positive' discrimination.

I am most definitely never discriminatory, nor am I "virtue signalling", I wholeheartedly believe in my message of diversity and equality. That's not discriminatory in the slightest, except being against potential bigots (and I'm not calling anyone names here) which is a good thing. I do value people on their individual merits, but I do believe in progressive thinking and feeling in this world.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

He-man is not a gay character so he should never be perceived as gay...ever! Period! Moving on...