Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Could He-Man be openly gay in a new media adaptation?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Sorry, but personally, I would rather be broke than discriminatory. DC has gay characters and they have no problem capitalising off their merchandise and fear of being divisive is really not a good argument for alienating the liberal fanbase who believe equality and diversity can only help a franchise.
    Would you like DC to turn any of their already established gay characters straight to please fans?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Would you like DC to turn any of their already established gay characters straight to please fans?
    It doesn't matter to me whether a character is gay or straight, I do take issue with the fact that people are only concerned about alienating conservatives without giving consideration to the liberal fanbase which is just as important and deserves to be heard.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

It doesn't matter to me whether a character is gay or straight, I do take issue with the fact that people are only concerned about alienating conservatives without giving consideration to the liberal fanbase which is just as important and deserves to be heard.
    I didn't ask if you cared if the character was gay or straight. I am asking do you you think if it would be right to change a gay character to straight to please a small number of fans.

It wouldn't be right to make a gay character into a straight one, ONLY because straight people are not marginalised and discriminated against, or if they are, then it's nowhere near the extent that gay people are persecuted.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

It wouldn't be right to make a gay character into a straight one, ONLY because straight people are not marginalised and discriminated against, or if they are, then it's nowhere near the extent that gay people are persecuted.
    Lots of people have faced persecution and discrimination and it isn't right but not every character, movie or TV show should be obligated to represent every group of people who are under represented. If they can do it the right way fair enough but to radically change already established characters to please small groups is wrong.

As a gay fan I grew up loving He-Mam for what he was: a fantasy character that got a sword and became powerful and then protected the people of Eternia. It never concerned me that he liked Teela in the cartoon. Or even hinted at it. As a kid it was all about camaraderie and fantasy tales of heroes and baddies. His colourscheme as Adam never made me question his preference. It just was what it was and today I still like it the way it was. As an adult I still don’t want anybody to tarnish the character I loved as a kid. He is straight as far as I am concerned. Please don’t change it to please the equality ratio. Like many said characters like MAA can be changed purely because it was never established and because it can be done without changing his identity. I wouldn’t care what colour he’d be as long as he is still MAA. Now Skeletor could be funny as a gay villian lol. But seriously, I think the way the new She-Ra handled introducing existing characters as gay is brilliant. It doesn’t change anything regarding their original versions for me at all, in fact it makes it richer. If they were to have Bow be gay so be it, but I do recall he had a crush on She-Ra. Don’t do it just for the sake of doing it. One needs to understand the reasons for doing it and follow the example of new She-Ra. I honestly and personally just don’t want characters I love for who they are changed because of social justice. As a gay kid it would’ve been cool to see representation in the cartoons for me but it didn’t ever make me feel upset it wasn’t there. I mean I was a kid enjoying stories and toys just like others. My preference didn’t make me different from my straight friends. I was just a kid being a kid and thinking of kid-things.

im cool with either honestly.. but i feel there shouldn't be any love interest for he-man... too much evil to fight off...don't need a love story in all of that.. Teela or otherwise..

No time for love Dr. He-man... we got company...
    Halloween is not just a holiday.. its a way of life!

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastiaan View Post
    As a gay fan I grew up loving He-Mam for what he was: a fantasy character that got a sword and became powerful and then protected the people of Eternia. It never concerned me that he liked Teela in the cartoon. Or even hinted at it. As a kid it was all about camaraderie and fantasy tales of heroes and baddies. His colourscheme as Adam never made me question his preference. It just was what it was and today I still like it the way it was. As an adult I still donít want anybody to tarnish the character I loved as a kid. He is straight as far as I am concerned. Please donít change it to please the equality ratio. Like many said characters like MAA can be changed purely because it was never established and because it can be done without changing his identity. I wouldnít care what colour heíd be as long as he is still MAA. Now Skeletor could be funny as a gay villian lol. But seriously, I think the way the new She-Ra handled introducing existing characters as gay is brilliant. It doesnít change anything regarding their original versions for me at all, in fact it makes it richer. If they were to have Bow be gay so be it, but I do recall he had a crush on She-Ra. Donít do it just for the sake of doing it. One needs to understand the reasons for doing it and follow the example of new She-Ra. I honestly and personally just donít want characters I love for who they are changed because of social justice. As a gay kid it wouldíve been cool to see representation in the cartoons for me but it didnít ever make me feel upset it wasnít there. I mean I was a kid enjoying stories and toys just like others. My preference didnít make me different from my straight friends. I was just a kid being a kid and thinking of kid-things.
    Very well said Sebastian. Except the part about Skeletor LOL. I don't think some people would be on for a gay villain. I recall an article about an 80's cartoon, possibly G.I. Joe, and it said TV networks did not want any minorities portrayed as villains.

I'd be open to it if it made sense. But not doing it just to do it.

I think there definitely should be gay characters in MOTU and POP, as both properties represent the universe (and all of our world in their own way). So if a character is made a specific sexuality that is different from what they were before, I've always felt it's easier for a fan base to accept altering 2nd or 3rd tier characters instead of the headlining core roster.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Other than a little He-Man and Teela at some point, the only other couple I care to see in it is Queen Marlena and King Randor (won't really be any romance there). I'd like the movie to be low on romance and more sword & sorcery/action/adventure. You do not really need couples for that.

Unnecessary .... No
    SMANOMEGA'S "NEWER" CUSTOM GALLERY BELOW
    http://s16.photobucket.com/user/sman...?sort=3&page=1

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Other than a little He-Man and Teela at some point, the only other couple I care to see in it is Queen Marlena and King Randor (won't really be any romance there). I'd like the movie to be low on romance and more sword & sorcery/action/adventure. You do not really need couples for that.
    I agree, I think we should play on ethnicity instead of sexuality, since I prefer an aromantic and asexual adventure... less kisses, more bullets

But I have to admit that I'd be very pleased to discover that the girls from the Pop universe are femme lesbians or that they like both sides of the universe...

Forget the names, remember romance
    I got the photos, a mťnage ŗ trois
    Musta broke those Frenchies laws with those
    Girls, girls, girls
    I met 3 heroes: their names are Jedi_Kunle, Mikethedrummer and Miracle Max.
    And I also met an angel called David. Good journey, sit tibi terra levis.

Don't forget, some of us are interested in the boys too.

Its quite funny the only time i consider sex or politics in my favorite childhood cartoon is usually when other people point it out to me .

Here is my OFF TOPIC political contribution .

I have a dream

that one day HeMan and SheRa
    Will not be judged by the colour of their skin .
    Or their sexual preference .
    But by the joy and fun they gave to millions of children

In this our great Forum
    Lets us all join hands and with one unified voice
    Say no more will we allow politics to tarnish.
    This our most sacred of childhood memories .
    Last edited by Lokus; June 15, 2019 at 07:00am.

I see love as a beautiful thing, whether it be between a man and a woman, two men, or two women, as long as they are unrelated consenting adult humans, I don't see why people need to politicise things. I never did understand why people hate those who are different, love should be a unifying force, not a divisive one.

I see love as a beautiful thing, whether it be between a man and a woman, two men, or two women, as long as they are unrelated consenting adult humans, I don't see why people need to politicise things. I never did understand why people hate those who are different, love should be a unifying force, not a divisive one.
    I'm sure many of us here agree with you. But for anyone making off-topic contributions, let's not get into a possible debate about sexuality itself.
    Instead, let's keep this thread on track and keep it focused on the initial subject of discussion.
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects

I wasn't trying to start a debate, I just wanted to make a heartwarming affirmation of the beauty of love.

I wasn't trying to start a debate, I just wanted to make a heartwarming affirmation of the beauty of love.
    I understand, and appreciate the positivity. But again, let's keep it on topic. Threads like this area always prone to bring on long debates once they move into a broader scope or go on a tangent. And then that often leads to hurt feelings, as well as people reporting posts because they don't like another person's opinion, etc.

Let's keep it friendly, and focused on whether or not He-Man could be gay or not in an upcoming incarnation of MOTU,
    and the reasons for or against.
    Thanks!

Court Magician
    In theory it shouldn't be an issue, of course. I'd love it to not be an issue. But being a relatively prominent property (yeah it's not been around for a while but potential revivals always get media attention), and the lead character, and being a kid's show (since sexuality is still seen as being indistinguishable from the act of sex, and 'becoming' your orientation as something that only happens to young adults, though both are clearly not the case)... It all kind of adds up to rather unlikely.

I'm all for diversity and inclusivity. It's not just good (slash potentially lifesaving) for the people that identify with those characters, it normalises it for everyone else too and hopefully works towards a future where no-one is sexist or racist or homophobic or whatever. I know some people feel like it gets pushed pretty hard, but you really have to - if these things sorted themselves out on their own, they wouldn't be around now. We've got to be all 'hey, we exist too!' or we'd never be seen. It (seems to be) a little known fact that LGBT+ people are just as tired of having to fight as everyone else is tired of seeing us do it, but we don't have much choice.

I don't get the issue with changing an established character; a new iteration is always different. The argument about changing female characters to male, gay to straight, black to white etc also make no sense - if we lived in a world where everything was equal, sure, why not - but we don't, which is why this happens in the first place. One increases diversity and the other actively pushes against it, so they are not in any way the same thing.

Besides, it's a bit bemusing to hear that He-Man is an 'established' straight character. There are several iterations of the character, and I'm not caught up on them all, but in the ones I know that's not the case. Anything linking him to Teela is far from official and seem to be confined to potential series that never happened, and though a few women seem to be interested in him (Frosta instantly springs to mind) he doesn't appear to reciprocate.

That intrigues me because it is a fine example of this default society has - a character is straight until proven otherwise. There's no reason why he can't be straight, obvs, but there's no more evidence for it than being gay, bi or ace. But people just assume he is, because he's never shown an interest in guys. That's fine, straight people are more numerous, it's an understandable assumption, but it's not 'established'. I think that's where a lot of the He-Man/Teela shipping comes from; almost any series with a male and female lead ends up with this assumption that they're interested in each other, purely because they are the male and female lead - and that often feels more forced than a more open exploration of their orientation (look at Angel and Cordelia, Oliver and Felicity, Jane and Lisbon).

And then there's the 'only if it matters to the story' argument, which also makes no sense to me. Why would a straight character 'make more sense' than a non-straight one? For some reason, our existence in fiction always has to be justified, while straight characters aren't questioned. 'Why did they need to make that character gay?' Well, whyever not? Why's there got to be a reason?

So, um, in conclusion - I would be perfectly happy with an openly gay He-Man, but I don't expect to see it any time soon.
    "Showtunes and booze, kids - that's what keeps me happy."

If not He-Man, how about Stratos? I know in some media he has a human wife named Delora, but he could be made into a gay character which wouldn't ruffle too many proverbial feathers - or literal feathers in this case scenario since we are talking about Stratos.

Widget
    No thanks, He-man needs to be more an internet meme.
    You know if they did that then he'd be singing "Hey, what's going on?" in a scene as well. That's not the tone of movie I'm interested in.

Heroic Warrior
    As a middle-aged straight guy (who is honestly a minority in this day & age) & also as a fan of the MOTU franchise since I was a kid in the '80's - I am strongly against having He-man be anything but straight re: the MOTU franchise. Don't ruin the franchise that all of us grew up with.

If not He-Man, how about Stratos? I know in some media he has a human wife named Delora, but he could be made into a gay character which wouldn't ruffle too many proverbial feathers - or literal feathers in this case scenario since we are talking about Stratos.
    Make...Stratos...Gay???
    temper.gif
    Only joking LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrskeletor View Post
    No thanks, He-man needs to be more an internet meme.
    You know if they did that then he'd be singing "Hey, what's going on?" in a scene as well. That's not the tone of movie I'm interested in.
    I think I'm at the point where if he even has a legitimate reason to "Say hey, what's going on?" Me and a thousand of my friends are going to the writer's house responsible and kicking in the door, just to ask if they think it's funny now?

I want a serious adaptation of the property not stupid villians or goofy heroes. I Expect a pop corn flick BUT I still want a GOOD one. Back on topic, at the end of the day what does his orientation have to do with it? Pretty much nothing. If it's not brought up then the viewer Is free to decide that on their own, without making it essential to the story. Which it completely doesn't need to be. This is a kids property and on ALOT of levels should and will stay one. I don't expect to see much if any even implied sexuality ( even if I would prefer if Teela did have a thing for the hero, and Evilyn used it to her advantage)
    SMANOMEGA'S "NEWER" CUSTOM GALLERY BELOW
    http://s16.photobucket.com/user/sman...?sort=3&page=1

Court Magician
    I’m probably coming at this w/ more of a conservative point of view than some of the others here. Although I 100% support my gay friends and believe people should be able to get married and have equality all around, I have never really been for pressing this type of stuff onto children.

If they “HAD” to do it. Then do it like they did She-Ra. Where people know some of the characters are gay, but it’s not pressed. No one is dating and you don’t see girls making out with girls.

But if they made this some open thing w/ He-Man having a new love interest. I’d be turned off. I probably wouldn’t want my son to see it until he was old enough to understand that type of thing too.

My son is 5 and for me he is the perfect age for He-Man tv series and movies. Heck. He probably has seen more episodes than I have at this poiint.

Lastly. Who is He-Mans love interest? Orco? Teelas Dad? cringer? Nah... we all know him n teela r getting it on