Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 419

Thread: Could He-Man be openly gay in a new media adaptation?

  1. #51
    Loco Motu Vato ehenyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    10,278
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I've always felt it's easier for a fan base to accept altering 2nd or 3rd tier characters instead of the headlining core roster.
    Kind of like Zodak.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

  2. #52
    Heroic Warrior InThe80s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    748
    It is Skeletor!!!

    It has always been between He-Man and Skeletor. They are gay lovers but one is evil and the other is good so they can't ever really be together. This was true in the 1987 move and even before that. He-Man always conveniently "lets" Skeletor get away and Skeletor never kills He-Man even though he has the chance to do so a few times.

    It is 2019. The question is will they ever come out of the closet.


  3. #53
    Catwoman...Hear Me Roar! Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Catwoman's Catacomb
    Posts
    5,809
    I just don't see why some people don't like the idea of gay characters in any part of the MOTU/POP/NA franchise. It's not like it's going to be a porno movie with people having sex every chance they get. Gay or straight, it's not going to be that type of movie, so chill. A few kisses or hugs won't hurt anybody, especially kids.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

    - Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

  4. #54
    The Scare is in the Glow! Scare Glow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,222
    Mikey, the issue is that He-Man is a character with nearly four decades of history, spread across a myriad of series and media. In many ways, He-Man, along with most modern tales of super hero's and the like are our modern myths and stories, in the vein of the Odyssey or the tales of Heracles of antiquity.

    These tales may have their genesis in marketing, but for many of us, they are a fundamental part of our youth, helping to shape who we were and how we perceived the world. As adults, characters like He-Man are deeply important to us, and considering how much time and monetary investment we have committed to these brands, it goes without saying that we feel both a kinship and a perceived duty to protect both the spirit and canonical integrity of the character and wider narrative.

    The issue in not, nor has it ever been, viewing gay characters negatively. The issue is that needlessly changing an established character, with decades of well established history, is simply pandering to currently popular identity politics. Such an action is an insult to all involved, possibly most deeply, to the group being pandered to. Changes of this type marginalize the group in question, primarily because it sends the message that characters like themselves are incapable of being good enough, compelling enough and are not enough of a draw to warrant a new character being created. This erroneous attitude necessitates the hijacking of something previously proven and beloved, so as to lazily bootstrap whatever current political veneer is in vogue at the moment.

    I don't want He-Man changed in this way, and I suspect most dont. I want the canonical integrity of the character preserved, and deeply believe that gays, and every other minority group, deserve better. They deserve original, compelling and we'll written characters, which can, on their own merrit, stand alongside and as tall as He-Man.

  5. #55
    Heroic Warrior IceyCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Castle Chill
    Posts
    2,964
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    I have a dream

    that one day HeMan and SheRa
    Will not be judged by the colour of their skin .
    Or their sexual preference .
    But by the joy and fun they gave to millions of children

    In this our great Forum
    Lets us all join hands and with one unified voice
    Say no more will we allow politics to tarnish.
    This our most sacred of childhood memories .
    Preach, brother!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Scare Glow View Post
    Mikey, the issue is that He-Man is a character with nearly four decades of history, spread across a myriad of series and media. In many ways, He-Man, along with most modern tales of super hero's and the like are our modern myths and stories, in the vein of the Odyssey or the tales of Heracles of antiquity.

    These tales may have their genesis in marketing, but for many of us, they are a fundamental part of our youth, helping to shape who we were and how we perceived the world. As adults, characters like He-Man are deeply important to us, and considering how much time and monetary investment we have committed to these brands, it goes without saying that we feel both a kinship and a perceived duty to protect both the spirit and canonical integrity of the character and wider narrative.

    The issue in not, nor has it ever been, viewing gay characters negatively. The issue is that needlessly changing an established character, with decades of well established history, is simply pandering to currently popular identity politics. Such an action is an insult to all involved, possibly most deeply, to the group being pandered to. Changes of this type marginalize the group in question, primarily because it sends the message that characters like themselves are incapable of being good enough, compelling enough and are not enough of a draw to warrant a new character being created. This erroneous attitude necessitates the hijacking of something previously proven and beloved, so as to lazily bootstrap whatever current political veneer is in vogue at the moment.

    I don't want He-Man changed in this way, and I suspect most dont. I want the canonical integrity of the character preserved, and deeply believe that gays, and every other minority group, deserve better. They deserve original, compelling and we'll written characters, which can, on their own merrit, stand alongside and as tall as He-Man.
    THIS, you put it very eloquently.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

  6. #56
    Court Magician
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    48
    He-Man won’t come out of the screen and hurt anyone. But he sure would put an impression on to kids. Maybe if this was a new super hero that was geared at older kids: 13 and above I’d be all for it. That said. We have a ton of that already in the CW all thanks to DC. (I watch those too)

    But don’t go changing He-Man just to have some cheap money grab

  7. #57
    Catwoman...Hear Me Roar! Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Catwoman's Catacomb
    Posts
    5,809
    The equality and diversity in the CW DC shows is one of the many elements of the shows that I love so much. The only impression having gay characters in the franchise would be to teach kids that hate, bigotry and inequality have no place in this world and will hopefully teach tolerance and compassion for all kinds of people. Perhaps not He-Man himself, but having gay characters in the franchise could only help it, not harm it.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

    - Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

  8. #58
    Heroic Warrior Sebastiaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    733
    For me it would be most impressive if He-Man were to make a comment in the movie to a gay friend (let’s say for example it is MAA) about him having to follow his heart and go after the one he loves. This can be a great way for him to be seen as a person who shares the same views of equality as many of us without having to try and sell beliefs to anyone. I’ve always seen him to be a fighter for what’s right. This would just confirm it again. I mean if he was a real person, wouldn’t you be happy to know he doesn’t judge you? If he were just a friend who doesn’t care about your orientation but your heart? My friends don’t care about that either, nor do I, we just care about each other without any strings or judgements.

  9. #59
    Catwoman...Hear Me Roar! Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Catwoman's Catacomb
    Posts
    5,809
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastiaan View Post
    For me it would be most impressive if He-Man were to make a comment in the movie to a gay friend (let’s say for example it is MAA) about him having to follow his heart and go after the one he loves. This can be a great way for him to be seen as a person who shares the same views of equality as many of us without having to try and sell beliefs to anyone. I’ve always seen him to be a fighter for what’s right. This would just confirm it again. I mean if he was a real person, wouldn’t you be happy to know he doesn’t judge you? If he were just a friend who doesn’t care about your orientation but your heart? My friends don’t care about that either, nor do I, we just care about each other without any strings or judgements.
    I totally feel your heart Sebastiaan, and what you said is a beautiful statement. You are more eloquent than I am and you speak deep and inspirational thoughts and feelings.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

    - Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

  10. #60
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,223
    It would be fine having gay characters in the show.
    But not He-Man or any character that has already been established stating otherwise.
    I really dislike when characters and story are retconned to suit different purposes.

  11. #61
    Heroic Warrior Razzerian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Antwerpen, Belgium
    Posts
    536
    I really don’t see the point? That’s not what MOTU is about at all. It’d probably feel forced and quite frankly I think it’d do more harm than good. Because you know it’d probably turn off a lot of potential moviegoers, on the other hand it may cause the SJW-army to flock to this movie

    I don’t know, I just don’t want MOTU to be a battlefield between bigots and SJWs (I hate that term).

    For the record, I think that you can dislike the idea of He-Man being openly gay without being a bigot. I’ve read a lot of peoples’ stories, on how He-Man affected them
    Positively while growing up. I understand how, if you’re a young kid who happens to be gay, you could identify with Adam/He-Man. But at the same time all those other kids related to him too. At the end of the day I don’t think anyone related to him because he was potentially gay, but because he was a moral man, a true hero. Someone kids could look up to. If you make him openly gay, whether you want to or not, you are going to make that a huge part of who he is.

    I would however not mind Eternia to be like Etheria, where you do see gay couples being simply accepted. I liked how nobody made a fuss out of Bow’s dads in the new She-Ra show. But in the end, this should never be the focal point of the movie, if it is it will bomb.

    Ultimately this should be about good vs. Evil. Not about He-man liking men or women.
    Last edited by Razzerian; June 16, 2019 at 11:21am.

  12. #62
    Heroic Warrior Lokus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    314
    You know we actually have the perfect example of what happens if you wrongfully force racial diversity and sexual orientation on an established franchise .

    Let's see no toys and only 7 episodes released every six months ...hmmm ? No money there . And there is certainly no equality .

    The little problem about making money so you can pay rent is you have to keep the majority happy . Piggy backing on Icons that the majority loves and forcing change is the fastest way to kill any crusade .

    I am sorry but the only way to do it properly is to make something original and if it fails all you can do is try try again.
    Last edited by Lokus; June 16, 2019 at 11:34am.

  13. #63
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    3,978
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    You know we actually have the perfect example of what happens if you wrongfully force racial diversity and sexual orientation on an established franchise .

    Let's see no toys and only 7 episodes released every six months ...hmmm ? No money there .
    Are you referring to She-Ra? If so, you're wrong. "Forcing" racial diversity and sexual orientation is not the reason for the lack of a toyline or the number of episodes released.
    Last edited by Krueger; June 16, 2019 at 12:45pm.

  14. #64
    Heroic Warrior Sebastiaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    733
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Are you referring to She-Ra? If so, you're wrong. "Forcing" racial diversity and sexual orientation is not the reason for the lack of a toyline or the number of episodes released.
    Agreed, the new She-Ra is brilliant. Their inclusion is not forced at all. I love Bow’s dads. Great inclusion of NEW characters.

  15. #65
    Heroic Warrior Razzerian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Antwerpen, Belgium
    Posts
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastiaan View Post
    Agreed, the new She-Ra is brilliant. Their inclusion is not forced at all. I love Bow’s dads. Great inclusion of NEW characters.
    Agreed, I really like the show and it doesn’t come at the expense of the overall storyline.

  16. #66
    The First Avenger Megalodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Golden Age
    Posts
    5,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    It would be fine having gay characters in the show.
    But not He-Man or any character that has already been established stating otherwise.
    I really dislike when characters and story are retconned to suit different purposes.
    Here's an idea instead of changing a character's orientation,gender,race create a whole NEW one...
    Last edited by Megalodon; June 16, 2019 at 01:49pm.

  17. #67
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    3,978
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Lou Scheimer was going to have He-Man and Teela married in a sequel series that never got off the ground:
    https://he-man.fandom.com/wiki/He-Ro...f_the_Universe
    Which I always found to be a little strange, considering their relationship was that of brother and sister rather than of a potential couple. I suppose it was a kid's cartoon, though.

  18. #68
    Heroic Warrior Sebastiaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    733
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Here's an idea instead of changing a character's orientation,gender,race create a whole NEW one...
    This worked really well for me in the new She-Ra. The undertones of Spinerella and Netossa were also obvious in the original so to that extent I have to agree.

  19. #69
    Heroic Warrior Lokus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    314
    I like that show too . Believe it or not .

    But that does not change the fact whomever is spending money on it is doing so at a loss .

  20. #70
    Color'licious! JVS3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    36,835
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Which I always found to be a little strange, considering their relationship was that of brother and sister rather than of a potential couple. I suppose it was a kid's cartoon, though.
    I think this is one of the most logical approaches. If characters have an existing gender / race / sexuality / etc, then it works better IMO to keep them as is and create a new character that serves the purpose of representing more types of people. And keep in mind that I said I feel it's better, not that I think it's a bad idea or that I'm against it.

    But, let's not forget that many characters in MOTU and POP have not been defined when it comes to sexuality, so there's a lot of room left to explore.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    I like that show too . Believe it or not .

    But that does not change the fact whomever is spending money on it is doing so at a loss .
    Not sure why you think that. Netflix pays for original and licensed content. This is covered by their subscription model. Netflix will order and pay for a show if, based on their analytics, they feel it will do well. If for some reason it doesn't, Netflix will work out a new deal if they want to keep going, or more likely, cancel the show.
    And based on everything I have heard in private, She-Ra is doing quite well at Netflix in terms of viewership / audience reach.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

  21. #71
    Heroic Horde General Canada-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    2,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Scare Glow View Post
    Mikey, the issue is that He-Man is a character with nearly four decades of history, spread across a myriad of series and media. In many ways, He-Man, along with most modern tales of super hero's and the like are our modern myths and stories, in the vein of the Odyssey or the tales of Heracles of antiquity.

    These tales may have their genesis in marketing, but for many of us, they are a fundamental part of our youth, helping to shape who we were and how we perceived the world. As adults, characters like He-Man are deeply important to us, and considering how much time and monetary investment we have committed to these brands, it goes without saying that we feel both a kinship and a perceived duty to protect both the spirit and canonical integrity of the character and wider narrative.

    The issue in not, nor has it ever been, viewing gay characters negatively. The issue is that needlessly changing an established character, with decades of well established history, is simply pandering to currently popular identity politics. Such an action is an insult to all involved, possibly most deeply, to the group being pandered to. Changes of this type marginalize the group in question, primarily because it sends the message that characters like themselves are incapable of being good enough, compelling enough and are not enough of a draw to warrant a new character being created. This erroneous attitude necessitates the hijacking of something previously proven and beloved, so as to lazily bootstrap whatever current political veneer is in vogue at the moment.

    I don't want He-Man changed in this way, and I suspect most dont. I want the canonical integrity of the character preserved, and deeply believe that gays, and every other minority group, deserve better. They deserve original, compelling and we'll written characters, which can, on their own merrit, stand alongside and as tall as He-Man.
    THIS ^^^^^^

    Well said!!!

  22. #72
    Heroic Warrior Razzerian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Antwerpen, Belgium
    Posts
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    I like that show too . Believe it or not .

    But that does not change the fact whomever is spending money on it is doing so at a loss .
    Please support your factual claim with some evidence, otherwise it’s just another opinion of a random person on the internet.

    There not being a toyline does not support your argument (in addition we know the toyline is supposedly coming).

    As for the second season being shorter, this was already clarified as being down to Netflix’s release cadence of 13-6-7-7-6-13 (or something like that).

    So neither one of these arguments proves that show is operating at a loss, so either you are basing your claim of factuality on some yet to be revealed data that we are not preview to. Or you’re simply stating a personal opinion as fact.

  23. #73
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Here's an idea instead of changing a character's orientation,gender,race create a whole NEW one...
    Yes I agree a new character would be best, but most people seem to only want an established character/s.

    According to recent review I read the Marvel Hercules character is now gay/bi. I don't care about his sexuality I still bought the Marvel Legends figure as I thought it was cool.

  24. #74
    Heroic Warrior Razzerian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Antwerpen, Belgium
    Posts
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Yes I agree a new character would be best, but most people seem to only want an established character/s.

    According to recent review I read the Marvel Hercules character is now gay/bi. I don't care about his sexuality I still bought the Marvel Legends figure as I thought it was cool.
    Well the ancient Greeks often had both a wife and a boyfriend, so that’s not much of a stretch.

  25. #75
    Color'licious! JVS3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    36,835
    Quote Originally Posted by Razzerian View Post
    Well the ancient Greeks often had both a wife and a boyfriend, so that’s not much of a stretch.
    Definitely. Plus that's been hinted at for around ten years now. I remember that back when I worked on Marvel Hercules for a bit.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •