Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Could He-Man be openly gay in a new media adaptation?

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Definitely. Plus that's been hinted at for around ten years now. I remember that back when I worked on Marvel Hercules for a bit.
    Cool. I don't really read any recent Marvel/DC comics. The figure is the more recent release from a couple months ago.

Skeletor's Right Hand Man Megalodon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Yes I agree a new character would be best, but most people seem to only want an established character/s.

According to recent review I read the Marvel Hercules character is now gay/bi. I don't care about his sexuality I still bought the Marvel Legends figure as I thought it was cool.
    See changing a character that has been around for awhile instead of creating a new one....

You could easily portray He-Man/Adam as gay and it would change very little about the character or how the story unfolds. His romantic relationships have been so low key and of little focus so that minor adjustment would have next to no impact.

HOWEVER - I think its more realistic to expect a studio (and Mattel) to be more open to portraying a supporting character or two as gay and the most obvious choice is Duncan. There's already plenty of media that flat out says that Teela is his adopted daughter rather than biological and we know so little about his personal life that if it was revealed that Man-at-Arms and Rioblast have been a longtime couple it would have the effect of making making two characters with little backstory have some new interesting backstory and development they both could use - and with how little romance is actually handled in MOTU it would be portrayed on screen in a pretty "safe" and chaste fashion and probably only touched on outside of a scene or two (we're not here for romance, we're here for ass kicking and adventure after all).

I'd love it it MOTU was the movie that actually had the guys to make such a bold move as having a gay lead character - and it's about damn time SOMEONE shows some fortitude and steps up to the plate to show a big budget movie can do this and still make a zillion bucks - I just don't think Mattel has the stones to let it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Not sure why you think that. Netflix pays for original and licensed content. This is covered by their subscription model. Netflix will order and pay for a show if, based on their analytics, they feel it will do well. If for some reason it doesn't, Netflix will work out a new deal if they want to keep going, or more likely, cancel the show.
    Well that is at least what they'd like you (and their investors) to believe. I'm not claiming one way or the other but that is a bold claim to make about a company who has had negative cash flow (due to spending on said content) since 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by foots_mcgee View Post
    Well that is at least what they'd like you (and their investors) to believe. I'm not claiming one way or the other but that is a bold claim to make about a company who has had negative cash flow (due to spending on said content) since 2011.
    Nothing bold about it. They've been making business decisions based on analytics for years; that's how they created House of Cards. Negative cash flow is a different story; I believe they are doing this as a survival tactic and as a payoff to investors in the long run through the capitalization of original content.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    Nothing bold about it. They've been making business decisions based on analytics for years; that's how they created House of Cards. Negative cash flow is a different story; I believe they are doing this as a survival tactic and as a payoff to investors in the long run through the capitalization of original content.
    You think I was questioning that they use analytics?

She RA so far has made 20 episodes but the release dates between season 1 and 2 and now 3 are 6 months apart . I have to suspect snail pace of content produced is because Netflix offers less financial support to POP because its less POPular . On the plus side the story telling is superb because the writers can take their time and improve on their work .

If we go back to the crazy 80,s Filmation was churning out 1 MOTU episode per week using half century old tech . They had a golden goose so their budget was bigger than Castle Grayskull .
    Last edited by Lokus; June 17, 2019 at 06:57am.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    See changing a character that has been around for awhile instead of creating a new one....
    True. I agree they should create new characters but like I said most fans dont like new characters and prefer characters they already know.

I'm sure there will be some minority groups represented in the film, but which ones remain to be seen. There will likely be just 2 hours to the first film, 6 hours total if it ends up being popular enough for a trilogy, so most likely much less than a typical tv show in total if it follows most film series. You have African-Americans, Asians, Hispanics, Native-Americans, Indians, handicapped, dwarfism, various language groups, various religious groups, and others to name a few besides just sexual orientation groups. Not many characters besides He-Man and a couple others like Skeletor will have a ton of character development in a popcorn film. Some like Beast-Man, who is basically just a monster type won't have much development at all if I had to guess. It took Marvel MCU films, which is ran by some pretty progressive people, 20 films to include an openly gay character and it ended up being a non-superhero human that was a small cameo role. The 1987 movie basically just had Julie & Kevin as far as couples.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    You know we actually have the perfect example of what happens if you wrongfully force racial diversity and sexual orientation on an established franchise .

Let's see no toys and only 7 episodes released every six months ...hmmm ? No money there . And there is certainly no equality .

The little problem about making money so you can pay rent is you have to keep the majority happy . Piggy backing on Icons that the majority loves and forcing change is the fastest way to kill any crusade .

I am sorry but the only way to do it properly is to make something original and if it fails all you can do is try try again.
    The new She-Ra wasn't a show created by Mattel to sell toys though. This was Dreamworks licensing the She-ra characters from Mattel because Beth Cannon was a big fan of She-Ra and wanted to do a show more akin to something she wished she'd had growing up. Noelle pitched a story to her, it got greenlit and Netflix paid to stream it.

She-Ra and the Princesses of Power was never a show made by Mattel to coincide with toys. It was a show designed to tell a story that will be told in 53 episode. This makes it the one show out of the whole MOTU franchise that is entirely unlike the rest and that's not even counting the diversity and representation in it.

What I'm saying is that your reasoning for it being a failure doesn't work because you're basing it on what the show is literally not even worried about. Mattel got it's money, Dreamworks got it's money, and Netflix got theirs. If there's ever toys of the series, cool. But it's a show where that was never really the focus to begin with.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastiaan View Post
    Agreed, the new She-Ra is brilliant. Their inclusion is not forced at all. I love Bow’s dads. Great inclusion of NEW characters.
    oh my god yes. I love Bow's dads so dang much. i hope there's more we see of them.
    Just cause your taller, don't pick on those smaller. Says Popeye the Sailor Man. toot toot

Let's see no toys
    Mattel heard you!

"My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

She RA so far has made 20 episodes but the release dates between season 1 and 2 and now 3 are 6 months apart . I have to suspect snail pace of content produced is because Netflix offers less financial support to POP because its less POPular . On the plus side the story telling is superb because the writers can take their time and improve on their work .

If we go back to the crazy 80,s Filmation was churning out 1 MOTU episode per week using half century old tech . They had a golden goose so their budget was bigger than Castle Grayskull .
    The fact that Netflix is stretching the series out further by halfing the seasons as they are suggests that the show is doing very good and Netflix is doing what they can to extend it so that they can keep the subscribers there for She-Ra. If it wasn't doing well, they'd just dump it all at one time and be done with it. But that they're trying to make it last tells me they know there might be a huge number that will unsubscribe once She-ra is done and so are going to make it last a little longer to keep them paying.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    i just saw this on Facebook right after I posted that Mattel licensed the show without any notion for attaching a toyline to it. It seems the show is doing so well that Mattel took notice and can see some profit in a toyline and that's pretty neat.
    Just cause your taller, don't pick on those smaller. Says Popeye the Sailor Man. toot toot

Doesn't DreamWorks basically own the entire rights to She-Ra other than MOTU characters like Hordak that they need special permission to use? MOTU rights seem more complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Just curious what size are these? The knees remind me of those new Origins figures. It would be cool if they were the same scale.

Yes I agree a new character would be best, but most people seem to only want an established character/s.
    Because they want the established fan base that comes with it. Creating something new and original means having to stand on your own and having no one to blame if it is not received well.
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

You laugh at me because I question everything. I laugh at you because you question nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Doesn't DreamWorks basically own the entire rights to She-Ra other than MOTU characters like Hordak that they need special permission to use? MOTU rights seem more complicated.
    They don't own them, no. But they have licensed them for the purpose of the show. Now what this means for any of the She-Ra characters being able to be used in any He-Man films or TV I don't know. It's probably unlikely they'd be available while Dreamworks has the license because I don't think Mattel had any real interest on the POP franchise outside of She-Ra herself. Now that the Dreamworks series has been a success that might change.

It was a show designed to tell a story that will be told in 53 episode.
    If they do indeed make 53 episodes i will admit i was wrong. Why take so long ? I dont think its unreasonable to expect a minimum of 13 episodes released in half the time .
    Whats the point of computer animation if it takes longer than hand drawn ?

Mattel heard you!
    Wow thats a drop dead gorgeous She RA dolly . Assuming its legit ..... Looks like a one off special boxset . Are they making the other princesses for sure ?
    The Negative Nancy voice within reminds me of that She Ra and Cat ra set .

Because they want the established fan base that comes with it. Creating something new and original means having to stand on your own and having no one to blame if it is not received well.

You can easily introduce a brand new original character into the MOTU universe without changing anything . Cartoon celebrity approval .
    Last edited by Lokus; June 17, 2019 at 09:56am.

If they do indeed make 53 episodes i will admit i was wrong. Why take so long ? I dont think its unreasonable to expect a minimum of 13 episodes released in half the time .
    Whats the point of computer animation if it takes longer than hand drawn ?
    From what I understand all 53 episodes are done. The release schedule as it is now is Netflix's decision. They have the entire second season, they could release them all right now as far as I am aware. They've chosen the split season release more than likely because the show is drawing in the viewing figures and they want to keep the subscribers on board for as long as possible.

You can easily introduce a brand new original character into the MOTU universe without changing anything . Cartoon celebrity approval .
    Of course.

You laugh at me because I question everything. I laugh at you because you question nothing.

The scene in Avengers Endgame where Cap is in the support group and the one guy openly discusses going on a date with another man was edited out of the Chinese release. I seriously doubt that Mattel would make a big budget MOTU film that couldn't be released *at all* in the second biggest market in the world due to the desire to shoehorn a progressive agenda into one of their biggest IP's.

Good storytelling and honoring lore should always trump "representation." If someone wants a gay hero that rides a tiger then feel free to invent it yourself.

Being straight never stopped He-Man from becoming a "gay icon" in the first place so he can just stay that way.
    Last edited by Khev; June 17, 2019 at 12:59pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Khev View Post
    The scene in Avengers Endgame where Cap is in the support group and the one guy openly discusses going on a date with another man was edited out of the Chinese release. I seriously doubt that Mattel would make a big budget MOTU film that couldn't be released *at all* in the second biggest market in the world due to the desire to shoehorn a progressive agenda into one of their biggest IP's.

Good storytelling and honoring lore should always trump "representation." If someone wants a gay hero that rides a tiger then feel free to invent it yourself.

Being straight never stopped He-Man from becoming a "gay icon" in the first place so he can just stay that way.
    That is interesting and I agree with you on all points. I wonder what they are going to do then when they reveal that one of the Avengers is gay. Aren't they saying that someone will come out in one of the next movies? I wonder if they will have to cut that too.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    That is interesting and I agree with you on all points. I wonder what they are going to do then when they reveal that one of the Avengers is gay. Aren't they saying that someone will come out in one of the next movies? I wonder if they will have to cut that too.
    Possibly. I wonder if it'll be something that will be seen on-screen or just openly stated outside of the films like with Dumbledore.

Skeletor's Right Hand Man Megalodon's Avatar
    True. I agree they should create new characters but like I said most fans dont like new characters and prefer characters they already know.
    Then they shouldn't be changed JUST to change them your going to start some crap....

Just make a a NEW characters simple...

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Then they shouldn't be changed JUST to change them your going to start some crap....

Just make a a NEW characters simple...
    Again I agree that would be best. But if they did change a character surely there is some characters most people aren't that bothered about. I can't imagine fans getting triggered over one random character they didn't care that much about.

At least J.K. Rowling isn't in charge of MOTU or everything would have been retconned to suit whatever faction of SJW's she wanted to pretend she has always been supporting.

Heroic Warrior
    My question is always "does it serve the story?" Sexuality in general is not something I connect much with Masters of the Universe. As a kid, that wasn't something even remotely on my mind at the time. Sometimes I think people want to shoehorn in sexuality where it really doesn't matter at all.

That said, I also don't really care that much. I don't see that it has any negative effect either, other than people complaining. It's just sort of a moot point for me. It's not even on my list of things that matter in what is important to me in how He-Man is portrayed.
    Last edited by snake_mole_hill; June 17, 2019 at 06:27pm.