Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Could He-Man be openly gay in a new media adaptation?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Again I agree that would be best. But if they did change a character surely there is some characters most people aren't that bothered about. I can't imagine fans getting triggered over one random character they didn't care that much about.

At least J.K. Rowling isn't in charge of MOTU or everything would have been retconned to suit whatever faction of SJW's she wanted to pretend she has always been supporting.
    QFT Brother.......

She has become quite the joke. Even my hard core Potter Head friends are annoyed with her.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

I'm not annoyed with J.K Rowling and I will always love the Harry Potter franchise, I still believe she feels the social justice elements, you can see that in her works.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    That is interesting and I agree with you on all points. I wonder what they are going to do then when they reveal that one of the Avengers is gay. Aren't they saying that someone will come out in one of the next movies? I wonder if they will have to cut that too.
    Iron man - has wife n kid
    Spider man - has MJ
    Deadpool - has his love story girl
    Thor - still canít get over the woman from the 2nd movie
    The guardians of the galaxy - main characters obv straight
    No personality Captain Marvel maybe?
    Black Panther?
    Def not AntMan

I donít see them following through on this. They too have too much at stake w/ China and other countries

It's not fair that franchises feel pressed to pander to discriminatory and backward regions who can't see the importance in demarginalising perceived "minorities". This is not the Dark Ages, the world should be more enlightened than this in this day and age.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Personal Service Provider Agostinho's Avatar
    I wouldn't have his sexuality explicitly stated, but dangle the bisexual/pansexual carrot. Live it to the imagination of the viewer and allows for some hopefully mature discussion.

Heroic Warrior
    I'd rather they leave it ambiguous (and this is coming from a gay man) kind of like Daryl on The Walking Dead. He appeals to both sexes and doesn't disappoint either. It's the mystery that's appealing about him.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by smanomega View Post
    I think I'm at the point where if he even has a legitimate reason to "Say hey, what's going on?" Me and a thousand of my friends are going to the writer's house responsible and kicking in the door, just to ask if they think it's funny now?

I want a serious adaptation of the property not stupid villians or goofy heroes. I Expect a pop corn flick BUT I still want a GOOD one. Back on topic, at the end of the day what does his orientation have to do with it? Pretty much nothing. If it's not brought up then the viewer Is free to decide that on their own, without making it essential to the story. Which it completely doesn't need to be. This is a kids property and on ALOT of levels should and will stay one. I don't expect to see much if any even implied sexuality ( even if I would prefer if Teela did have a thing for the hero, and Evilyn used it to her advantage)
    Iíd almost be willing to bet money that even if the movie is 90% serious, ďWhatís going on?Ē is going to be the first song over the closing credits. If not then the second.

And the writer will have no hand in that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    It's not fair that franchises feel pressed to pander to discriminatory and backward regions who can't see the importance in demarginalising perceived "minorities". This is not the Dark Ages, the world should be more enlightened than this in this day and age.
    They are trying to make a profit . Right or wrong or discrimination has nothing it do with it thats a secondary consequence to raking in the gold . You can only try and satisfy most people but not all .

If 8 out of 10 target consumers are gay in the future , HeMan and all his friends WILL also be gay . It wont matter if he originally liked girls . What matters is what 8 out of 10 people like , HeMan will also conform .

The Snow Queen was evil once upon a time . She likes kidnapping and enslaving little boys . She can kill you with 3 kisses . 1 out of 10 little girls might like that sort of Elsa ...... hmmm ?
    Last edited by Lokus; June 18, 2019 at 07:26am.

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Zukny View Post
    Iron man - has wife n kid
    Spider man - has MJ
    Deadpool - has his love story girl
    Thor - still can’t get over the woman from the 2nd movie
    The guardians of the galaxy - main characters obv straight
    No personality Captain Marvel maybe?
    Black Panther?
    Def not AntMan
    That shows they're interested in women (or at least specific women) - but it doesn't mean they can't be into guys as well.

That wouldn't change anything that's gone before (particularly if it's something the character was not previously aware of or comfortable revealing), and bi representation is rarer than gay representation - even when you get a bi character, they're usually a) afraid to actually say the word ("I don't like labels" etc) or b) it's shorthand for an unreliable or morally-ambiguous character.
    "Showtunes and booze, kids - that's what keeps me happy."

It all comes down to money. But it does also come down to respecting your audience/customers.

WWE have been bragging for quite a while about how they are putting so much emphasis on the women division and how multicultural they are etc. But when the Saudi money was involved in financing some shows their equality and SJW morals changed. No women allowed to wrestle on the shows and no Muslims etc.

And I just want to point out I am totally against WWE's decision. One of my current favourite wrestlers on their roster is the Japanese female wrestler Asuka. But considering how those Saudi shows have gone I think they are regretting not letting the women preform LOL.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not annoyed with J.K Rowling and I will always love the Harry Potter franchise, I still believe she feels the social justice elements, you can see that in her works.
    You can also see from her Twitter account what she thinks of Transgenders. Not very SJW.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    QFT Brother.......
    It's funny she wasn't woke when she was broke.

Says Dumbledore is gay after the books and films come out. Yet in the Fantastic Beasts books and films there is no mention about Dumbledore being gay.

The writer of "Solo: A Star Wars Story" openly stated that he was retconning Lando to be pansexual before the film was released. How'd that work out for them profit-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Lou Scheimer was going to have He-Man and Teela married in a sequel series that never got off the ground:
    https://he-man.fandom.com/wiki/He-Ro...f_the_Universe
    See, that's the thing: if one of the people who was essential to the character of He-Man promoted him as being straight and having kids it should stay that way... I'm not for making characters that have established backgrounds as being straight being made gay suddenly (like what Marvel tried to do to Ice-Man and Beast).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrala View Post
    I’d almost be willing to bet money that even if the movie is 90% serious, “What’s going on?” is going to be the first song over the closing credits. If not then the second.

And the writer will have no hand in that decision.
    Don't get me wrong, I think the famous YouTube video is funny, but it would be absolutely horrible to put this in the movie. If they try to make this movie a parody there is no way I will go see it.

At least if they do make He-Man gay he'll just be a rebooted version and not the "true" He-Man of the mini-comics and Filmation cartoon. Vintage He-Man will always be straight and nothing will change that. So if they want to make him gay then he'll be just as dismissable as the merciless and homicidal Optimus Prime from the Michael Bay flicks.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Khev View Post
    The writer of "Solo: A Star Wars Story" openly stated that he was retconning Lando to be pansexual before the film was released. How'd that work out for them profit-wise.
    I donít think that many people cared about Landoís sexuality to make a difference there.

A prequel that didnít reveal much new, a change of directors, a questionable casting choice as Han stepping into big shoes.

I donít think Landoís sexuality factored into the top 20 problems there.

It's funny she wasn't woke when she was broke.

Says Dumbledore is gay after the books and films come out. Yet in the Fantastic Beasts books and films there is no mention about Dumbledore being gay.
    They all get woke once they make bank.

They do hint it in the second movie. It is not very thinly veiled by any means.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    See, that's the thing: if one of the people who was essential to the character of He-Man promoted him as being straight and having kids it should stay that way... I'm not for making characters that have established backgrounds as being straight being made gay suddenly (like what Marvel tried to do to Ice-Man and Beast).

- - - Updated - - -

Don't get me wrong, I think the famous YouTube video is funny, but it would be absolutely horrible to put this in the movie. If they try to make this movie a parody there is no way I will go see it.::
    Was Iron Man 1 a parody for using “I am Iron Man”?

Hell, GotG and Ragnarok don’t strike me as parodies. Nor does Aquaman. Or Shazam, any more than its source material is.

MOTU is basically already a mash-up of Shazam and Conan. With the original comics doing a dash of Prince Valiant.

It can be an action comedy without disrespecting the source material and I think that will put more butts in seats. Nobody needs it to be too heavy handed in a world with Mekanek and the Land Shark.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Don't get me wrong, I think the famous YouTube video is funny, but it would be absolutely horrible to put this in the movie. If they try to make this movie a parody there is no way I will go see it.
    They all get woke once they make bank.

They do hint it in the second movie. It is not very thinly veiled by any means.

- - - Updated - - -

Heroic Warrior
    She has become quite the joke. Even my hard core Potter Head friends are annoyed with her.
    JK Rowling recently got the courage to finally tell her parents they're gay.

Quote Originally Posted by snake_mole_hill View Post
    JK Rowling recently got the courage to finally tell her parents they're gay.
    I read this twice before I got it - Ha!

Exactly. Studios have to be respectful to their audiences in different countries and cultures. Not everything can be represented all the time. If this new MOTU movie gets made I think they will be more focused on making a successful movie than representing every minority available.

Exactly. Studios have to be respectful to their audiences in different countries and cultures. Not everything can be represented all the time. If this new MOTU movie gets made I think they will be more focused on making a successful movie than representing every minority available.
    You are a brave man, Mark M.

Truth. I think here in the states we think that the American way is the ONLY way. I would argue that there are cultures that are heads and shoulders above us. I also think there are some that are not, but I try not to judge. It is incredibly hard though as we all seem to do it. Even when we really are trying hard not to we may fall short of our goal due to our prejudices or preconceived notions.

Again I agree that would be best. But if they did change a character surely there is some characters most people aren't that bothered about. I can't imagine fans getting triggered over one random character they didn't care that much about.

At least J.K. Rowling isn't in charge of MOTU or everything would have been retconned to suit whatever faction of SJW's she wanted to pretend she has always been supporting.
    J.K. Rowling is like the Madonna of the fantasy book world in the sense that she comes off as screaming for attention and to stay relevant by "revealing" some new information about a Potter character that no one really cares about...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrala View Post
    Was Iron Man 1 a parody for using “I am Iron Man”?
    Hell, GotG and Ragnarok don’t strike me as parodies. Nor does Aquaman. Or Shazam, any more than its source material is.
    MOTU is basically already a mash-up of Shazam and Conan. With the original comics doing a dash of Prince Valiant.
    It can be an action comedy without disrespecting the source material and I think that will put more butts in seats. Nobody needs it to be too heavy handed in a world with Mekanek and the Land Shark.
    Hmmm. I see your point since I absolutely loved Shazam. That being said, if Motu is made as an action comedy it will fall flat I think. If anything Motu should be a blend of a Lotr movie (with the serious tone) with Star Wars with a sprinkling of Superman. There can be some levity in it for sure, but if it is non stop jokes like Shazam that will be bad...

Please no political discussions. Save that for the Tar Swamp forum. Also, please stay on topic. Thanks.

Just because someone does not think like you does not mean they are backwards. Truth be told, a majority of people on planet Earth do not like the LGBT thing. And it has been that way throughout human history. If they were to make a movie in which He-Man beats people up because they are homosexual then I could see people on the LGBT side getting upset. But to do nothing and leave established characters the way they are is a middle ground that should offend neither side.
    I think it is time to explore the mythos beyond the time of SOH, or maybe I will eat a taco, either way I'm good.

Heroic Warrior Beard of Stratos's Avatar
    I wouldn't like to see him retconned as gay. I have always enjoyed the Teela and He-Man chemistry in the cartoons and comics.