Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Could He-Man be openly gay in a new media adaptation?

Quote Originally Posted by Long Live He-Man View Post
    agree to disagree
    You disagree that romance/sex is a gigantic motivator in human behavior?

No. He Man should not be gay. As others have stated he was to marry Teela. Hence his love interest should be Teela. I'd really like to see this storyline pushed forward, honestly.

If someone somewhere wants to make a gay superhero or gay He-man like character then go for it. However, don't touch what is already established canon. I hate that **** when they change things up to make it more modern or those two other words which shall not be said.
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    No. He Man should not be gay. As others have stated he was to marry Teela. Hence his love interest should be Teela. I'd really like to see this storyline pushed forward, honestly.

If someone somewhere wants to make a gay superhero or gay He-man like character then go for it. However, don't touch what is already established canon. I hate that **** when they change things up to make it more modern or those two other words which shall not be said.
    ^ This. Yes.
    Top 10 MOTUC: Shokoti > Shadow Weaver > Faker > Fang-or > Vykor > Blade > Scareglow > Huntara > Scorpia > Skeletor

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Khev View Post
    The writer of "Solo: A Star Wars Story" openly stated that he was retconning Lando to be pansexual before the film was released. How'd that work out for them profit-wise.
    As a huge Star Wars fan & also a huge fan of Solo: A Star Wars Story, I found this Lando "pansexual retcon" to be ludicrous and meaningless. Here's why:

In ESB & in the Star Wars Expanded Universe (EU) novels & comics that came out in the '80's/'90's, it's fairly well established that Lando is a ladies man & has been with a lot of women.

And - I don't see that anything in the Solo film contradicts this idea of Lando as a ladies man - i.e., he's seen hitting on at least one (or more) alien women in the movie. The "pansexual" idea came from the the implication that Lando is having a "relationship" with his "female" robot assistant L3-37. However, it's never actually explained what this means (no surprise - after all, the Star Wars films are kids movies first & foremost) - just some slightly "suggestive" comments made by L3-37 - about Lando. Now, how does this make Lando "pansexual" or an "LGBT" character? Because he's supposedly "sleeping" with a robot?! Give me a break. There's no actual category that exists that covers this type of thing - and it definitely is not a LGBT relationship in any way, shape, or form. So, Lando is not "pansexual", but he may be someone that likes to get jiggy with robots who have sexy female voices

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    Ditto. Whether you like it or not the whole social justice movement is ruining media. People want to go to the movies to ESCAPE from reality, they do not want to preached at or pandered to. A friend of mine said something the other day and I have to agree. He supports the LGBTQ community 100%, but when you see every single business adopt the rainbow flag for a month you have to ask yourself are they being an ally or are they just cashing in. Do you think that a company really cares for social issues or are they looking for a big return during a traditionally slow time of the year? If big business can find a way to exploit someone they will and right now their favorite flavor is rainbow sherbet.
    Agree with this 100%. I don't see that these companies care about these communities one iota - they're just trying to make money. In fact, in general I've found that most businesses out there will say whatever it takes (which obviously includes dishonesty & lying) in order to make a quick buck.
    Last edited by man-e-faces; June 24, 2019 at 11:35pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Person 1 : Did you hear so and so is gay ?

Person 2 : Oh , really.......I didnt know that. Good for him.

Thats how much i want them to mention it in a movie , there really isnt any reason to go deeper into it imo
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

Even going by the established canon Prince Adam could be considered a closeted gay. Before the modern acceptance movement homosexuals were NOT out and proud like they are today. They were often forced into the closet and pressured by society into straight relationships and adopting a straight identity. On the outside they appeared to be "normal" but on the inside they are totally gay. This was true as recently as the 1980s when the He-Man comics and cartoons were first coming out. Around 5% of the population has always been gay but they were invisible because they were in the closet. Nevertheless there were always signs that someone was gay and Prince Adam displays those signs in spades.

> As others have stated he was to marry Teela.

Was this love or forced political marriage? Considering Prince Adam never took a romantic interest in Teela this would appear to be a forced marriage for the prince to save face. Prince Adam had a duty to keep the Grayskull bloodline alive. Though the son he was supposed to have ended up being adopted anyway. Did he consummate the marriage with Teela? My guess is no. That is because Prince Adam is gay. Gay Gay Gay... but nobody can accept it, even now.

Denial is a river in Africa so go ahead and prove Adam is straight.

My opinion as a life-long Masters fan: this is not a good idea, not needed, nor does it add to the mythos.

Please leave things as they are in this regard.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Quote Originally Posted by man-e-faces View Post
    As a huge Star Wars fan & also a huge fan of Solo: A Star Wars Story, I found this Lando "pansexual retcon" to be ludicrous and meaningless. Here's why:

In ESB & in the Star Wars Expanded Universe (EU) novels & comics that came out in the '80's/'90's, it's fairly well established that Lando is a ladies man & has been with a lot of women.

And - I don't see that anything in the Solo film contradicts this idea of Lando as a ladies man - i.e., he's seen hitting on at least one (or more) alien women in the movie. The "pansexual" idea came from the the implication that Lando is having a "relationship" with his "female" robot assistant L3-37. However, it's never actually explained what this means (no surprise - after all, the Star Wars films are kids movies first & foremost) - just some slightly "suggestive" comments made by L3-37 - about Lando. Now, how does this make Lando "pansexual" or an "LGBT" character? Because he's supposedly "sleeping" with a robot?! Give me a break. There's no actual category that exists that covers this type of thing - and it definitely is not a LGBT relationship in any way, shape, or form. So, Lando is not "pansexual", but he may be someone that likes to get jiggy with robots who have sexy female voices
    I agree 100% with what you said about Lando. I actually found Solo (unnecessary) but the most enjoyable of the Disney Star Wars movies.

Again.. everyone..
    Keep the discussion about He-Man, and the pros and cons of him being gay in new media.

If you want to discuss other maters with other properties, businesses, etc, especially if it involves politics, that needs to go to the Tar Swamp.
    Thank you!
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2019!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Heroic Warrior
    Why just stop on whether He-Man should/shoudn't be gay? In today's world, he could be much more than just gay. Just think of the possibilities.

Heroic Warrior
    Tintin is more likely to be gay than HM :

-only hangs out with men , shows no interest in women
    -only female friend he has is that opera singer , hmmm

Widget
    The 80s dc comics introduced him fooling around in the bushes with two women, and he's said to have a reputation for " carousing with wenches" or something along those lines. And he's absolutely besotted with teela in " the terror of tri klops" just off the top off my head.. Filmation always portrayed Adam as jealous of teelas sexual interest in he man, Plus he straight up marries teela at the end of eternity war which was only a couple of years ago. I get everything needs to be woke these days but I don't agree with there being zero examples of he man being straight.

Sent from my KOB-L09 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by davelove81; June 26, 2019 at 04:23am.

> he's said to have a reputation for " carousing with wenches"

That is actually a sign of being gay. A man who spends his time hanging out with groups of women is probably gay. Not a lady's man but one of the ladies. Your Gaydar needs a little fine tuning me thinks.

> Filmation always portrayed Adam as jealous of teelas sexual interest in he man

Was it really sexual jealously. It came across as more of a respect issue especially in Filmation which down played adult themes. Price Adam was jealous that He-Man was admired as a hero and he wasn't. That is the Filmation canon. There was no sex.

Oh my!

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

You laugh at me because I question everything. I laugh at you because you question nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by InThe80s View Post

That is actually a sign of being gay. A man who spends his time hanging out with groups of women is probably gay. Not a lady's man but one of the ladies. Your Gaydar needs a little fine tuning me thinks.

> Filmation always portrayed Adam as jealous of teelas sexual interest in he man

Was it really sexual jealously. It came across as more of a respect issue especially in Filmation which down played adult themes. Price Adam was jealous that He-Man was admired as a hero and he wasn't. That is the Filmation canon. There was no sex.
    *Sigh*

He-Man groped Lady Valtira.
    And that's from Filmation cartoons.

Barbie does not have to be gay, and so is He-Man.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Widget

Fair enough, to you he's gay, to me he's straight, why does the movie need to spell it out for either of us? We've both enjoyed the character this long with " zero" evidence either way?

Sent from my KOB-L09 using Tapatalk

I think we all should focus on storyline instead of pleasing minorities that represents them in the movie. Having storyline as an after thought and focus on "little" thing like sexuality, race representation, or even social outcast would doom the movies on the market. Just don't use pitchfork when your favorite characters isn't going into your belief on what it should be.

NOT QUITE MY TEMPO

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Ro Eats Soup View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

There is nothing homophobic about that statement. It is neither pro or against the homosexual movement, it is simply a statement of demographic fact. Which is the basis for my wanting the movie to be neutral about homosexuality. The fact is, MOTU is a property that could blow to 80's level popularity up or sink like John Carter. If this movie flops, I doubt we will get another major media MOTU project for decades, if ever. So why would we want to inject a divisive issue that would not sit well in a large part of the world?
    I don't know that it's fair to say the majority of the world has felt that way throughout human history. The Greeks come to mind right away for example.

There is also more support for the LGBTQ community than opposition statistically in the world now.

That said, hate is hate and it's far too widespread regardless of percentages. Where I do agree with you is that it could be potentially damaging to a feature film as there would be a large and vocal contingent opposed to it, and it would become political fodder. Had He-Man always been gay, that's a different conversation. But the change would likely come off as pandering, and we'd get the same people who say Star Wars is all for SJW's now saying the same.

I for one don't think sexuality is an important theme in Masters of the Universe anyway, but I know everyone has their own attachment to the property.

- - - Updated - - -

I read this twice before I got it - Ha!
    Glad you caught it! One of my favorite dumb jokes

Even going by the established canon Prince Adam could be considered a closeted gay. Before the modern acceptance movement homosexuals were NOT out and proud like they are today. They were often forced into the closet and pressured by society into straight relationships and adopting a straight identity. On the outside they appeared to be "normal" but on the inside they are totally gay. This was true as recently as the 1980s when the He-Man comics and cartoons were first coming out. Around 5% of the population has always been gay but they were invisible because they were in the closet. Nevertheless there were always signs that someone was gay and Prince Adam displays those signs in spades.

> As others have stated he was to marry Teela.

Was this love or forced political marriage? Considering Prince Adam never took a romantic interest in Teela this would appear to be a forced marriage for the prince to save face. Prince Adam had a duty to keep the Grayskull bloodline alive. Though the son he was supposed to have ended up being adopted anyway. Did he consummate the marriage with Teela? My guess is no. That is because Prince Adam is gay. Gay Gay Gay... but nobody can accept it, even now.

Denial is a river in Africa so go ahead and prove Adam is straight.

Wow! This is completely full of conjecture.

Very well said.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by tnktrk View Post
    Why just stop on whether He-Man should/shoudn't be gay? In today's world, he could be much more than just gay. Just think of the possibilities.
    "Could-He-Man-be-deeply-misanthropic-in-a-new-media-adaptation"

"I HAVE THE POWER! (BUT I'M KEEPING IT TO MYSELF!)"

Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post
    I think we all should focus on storyline instead of pleasing minorities that represents them in the movie. Having storyline as an after thought and focus on "little" thing like sexuality, race representation, or even social outcast would doom the movies on the market. Just don't use pitchfork when your favorite characters isn't going into your belief on what it should be.
    QFT. If the story sucks there is no future for a franchise. We need to focus on good story telling. This is something Hollyweird has always had a problem doing. It takes a real super fan of a franchise to give the fans what they want. It very rarely happens these days. It is all about checking off 'diversity' lists and quotas.

You laugh at me because I question everything. I laugh at you because you question nothing.

QFT. If the story sucks there is no future for a franchise. We need to focus on good story telling. This is something Hollyweird has always had a problem doing. It takes a real super fan of a franchise to give the fans what they want. It very rarely happens these days. It is all about checking off 'diversity' lists and quotas.
    But from a marketing perspective, how many people can relate to the epitome of the Aryan Ubermensch?

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    But from a marketing perspective, how many people can relate to the epitome of the Aryan Ubermensch?
    Why do you have to relate to something to enjoy it? I enjoy or take interest in a lot of things that I cannot relate to. I do not try to find myself in everything. That is a sign of weakness in my opinion. People are so fragile and narcissistic. If you need fantasy to validate your existence then perhaps you need to work on yourself. Not you specifically, the universal you.

Heroic Warrior
    "A man who spends his time hanging out with groups of women is probably gay"

Interview man : "Did you hang out with Bruce Lee ?"

Joe Lewis : "No , I hang out with women !"

If people can relate to Superman then they should be able to relate to HM
    Last edited by Wonder Bread He-Man; June 27, 2019 at 10:30am.

The Scare is in the Glow! Scare Glow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Interesting point.

Kind of like relating to someone who dresses up as a bat. Or, to quote the song; does whatever a spider can.

The draw of these characters is to witness their hero's journey; to behold the spectacle of their adventures, struggles and personal growth. This has precious little to do with race, gender, orientation, or the current need to validate everyone's ego by way of superficial alterations to make litteral super beings more relatable, or worse yet, less problematic.