Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was This Your Intro to He-Man?

Dynasty Masters Universe DynastyMasters's Avatar

Was This Your Intro to He-Man?

How many of you can honestly say that you had never even seen or heard of the He-Man and the Masters of the Universe and She-Ra Princess of Power toys and cartoons when you started watching The New Adventures of He-Man cartoons and buying the He-Man toys? Do you know anyone like this? Maybe because they were only 3, 4, or 5 years old when the New Adventures debuted?

I Just Finished Watching All 65 Episodes of The New Adventures of He-Man.

I bought all the DVDs. This was my first time watching these episodes because in 1990-1991 I was living in a small lifeless town in the middle of nowhere with no cable. Overall, I did not like this version of He-Man cartoons. I won't be watching this series ever again. The animation reminded me too much of Voltron, Speed Racer, and Astro Boy, and maybe even Pokemon. I didn't like those either. I'm guessing the animators and production company that made the New Adventures of He-Man were the same ones that produced Voltron. Were these produced in France or Japan? I never liked the whole Anime look!

I noticed in some episodes of NA that the lips of some of the characters would continue moving even after they had finished talking. In some cases they would continue talking even after their lips had stopped moving.

What's with those mutant troopers that looked like the Storm Troopers from STAR WARS. That really bugged me! What a rip-off!

The most annoying things about this cartoon series were those damn scientists and that damn robot: Alcon, Gepal, Maldor, Crecks, Glepe. They could have done without them or portrayed them differently, made them sound like Master Sebrian. Skeletor and most of the other evil warriors were too comical. They just didn't seem evil enough. It seemed like they could be saved and made into good people if they talked to a psychiatrist. Flogg and Slushhead especially. It just seemed like evil wasn't really evil in this series. Skeletor and Flogg laying on beach chairs?

Teela and The Sorceress didn't look interesting. I liked seeing King Randor and Queen Marlena in the first episode. They looked and sounded great. The last episode was great too. I liked how they ended it without one of those moral lessons at the end. When Skeletor says "I'll be back" it reminded me of the end of the Masters of the Universe movie. I'm guessing this was done intentionally.

Most of the episodes bored me and almost put me to sleep. Some other episodes I found to be very silly, very un-he-man, although interesting: The Festival of Lights and Fading Star (featuring cowboys), He-Man Mutant, He-Caz, He-Fan, The Bride of Slushhead, Rock to the Future with Hank Rappa (obviously a play on the name of Rock Icon, Frank Zappa). I guess it's okay since this is the future. I liked all the later episodes that featured the Mytes and the Gleanons. They reminded me of the Manchines from A Christmas Special. The Call to the Games let you know that this thing was almost over.

At least this series produced an actual last episode (a series finale) which the other three series' did not.

Are full episodes of the New Adventures of He-Man cartoons being shown anywhere on the internet? There's nothing on YouTube, Joost, HULU or Crackle!
    Last edited by DynastyMasters; April 21, 2010 at 12:10pm.

Sheboygan,WI(Home of the Worlds Biggest Bratwurst Celebration)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankovic-Gretzky View Post
    How many of you can honestly say that you had never even seen or heard of the He-Man and the Masters of the Universe and She-Ra Princess of Power toys and cartoons when you started watching The New Adventures of He-Man cartoons and buying the He-Man toys? Do you know anyone like this? Maybe because they were only 3, 4, or 5 years old when the New Adventures debuted?
    I was like 8 or 9 when this show/line came out.So I can honestly say I knew what it was.
    My active ebay items for sale.http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/taddow...Q_fromZQQ_mdoZ
    --------------------------------------------
    GOOD TRADERS
    jbaw2, Dr.Omega, [email protected], tmcclurg, celticsfan, THEGODBEAST, Venom77713, Royalt1us, racerx, davidlogan, granbeetle, MOTU SAN JOSE 2, prime731,galaxywarrior,Butterflyer,Creasy Bear.

Well, here's the thing: I was born in 83, so going by Wikipedia's dates, I was pretty dang young for the original line. Nonetheless, my introduction to He-Man was still the original line. So I think you're right with the very young area, like 3 or 4, if someone is going to have NA as thier first He-Man. I was around there for the original MotU, so it made a stamp on me even if I couldn't understand a whole lot (though I remember alot). I was about 7 or 8 around the main NA line, and I honestly think that's just as influential as MotU was at about 3. Thing is, at 3, I'm just playing with what I'm given. I don't think I would have asked for He-Man then until I was introduced (my older brother was already playing with it, so I probably just followed).

So, with all that considered, I still think of NA as an intro as much as MotU was. In fact, it sorta reignited my interesting in MotU as I tried to connect the original line to NA and see where things split off ('cause back then I natrually assumed that the whole thing was one cohesive story and not a toyline that they can start and stop at any time). So I guess NA was an intro for me, in a way, 'cause it had me look back at MotU's story and build up what I couldn't have built when I was 3.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Good question. I've always wondered myself if anyone learned of MOTU and POP through NA. There has to be at least a couple members on here that fit into that category.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Good question. I've always wondered myself if anyone learned of MOTU and POP through NA. There has to be at least a couple members on here that fit into that category.
    Not I, I was 16 when NA debuted

Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    Not I, I was 16 when NA debuted
    I'm assuming this does not mean NA was your intro to He-Man.

There is still no one that fits this category on the forum! Oh well...
    Last edited by DynastyMasters; December 1, 2009 at 05:47pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    DYNASTY AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE
    http://www.dynastyandthemastersofthe...e.blogspot.com

A big fan of Slush Head
    Interesting question. I don't know anyone who got into He-Man because of this show.
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

i ddidnt get into he-man because of NA BUT i DID continue to love it becuase of NA.

i was about 10 when NA came out so i was at my prime toy buying time as a kid. the toys looked cool to me and had great articualtion for a figure at that time
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    I was born alongside MOTU in Feb of 1982 so I grew up as MOTU evolved and changed. Some of my earliest memories are of He-Man & She-Ra side by side. I had a few friends who were a few years younger then me, so the only thing they ever knew was the film and the NA back in 1990-1992. I schooled them in the ways of Castle Grayskull and She-Ra
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

I think I got into NA around the same time as classic MOTU, being born in 1987, I grew up with more an NA focus - and bought the NA figures as they came out (but I seem to recall knowing who Skeletor was before I bought him - so I think I must have seen been aware of the classic line in some way beforehand.)

But NA was the cartoon I grew up watching.

I was born in 1983, but here the original tv series were repeated until much later, so my main influence was the classic series. As a kid, I hated the NA series, and thought the only good thing was Optikk. Now I have some figures, and someday I will see the series again, for curiosity. My little brother that was born in 1992, and so he never saw the classic nor the NA, but followed my teachings and likes more the classic, and also because he played with the vintage figures.
    I am currently accepting commissions for custom figures, just PM me with your project
    See my other customs at; http://www.figurerealm.com/ViewCustoms.php?UID=5291 and see my MOTU customs in these videos;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkXzl-Y0jJ8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI33jTcfuKc
    My blog; http://argenta-2008customs.blogspot.com/

i was born in 78 so im an original fan. and when i saw the cartoon for the first time i was so mad. it was terrible. then i saw the toys i almost puked in tru. it wasnt untill a few years ago i got into itans im glad i did its a great story.
    Check out the Masters Of The Galaxy Podcast. And also check out Masters of the Galaxy Facebook page

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Well, we have Martin, he seems to be the only original NA boy here

I was 14 when I first saw NA. Even though I was still very much into toys, I can't say NA influenced me in any way. I was already very critical about them. I can't say I hated the line, but I was sad that classic MOTU was discontinued. There were some toys in NA that I liked (Optikk, Eternia, Slush Head) but generally I thought it wasn't as cool as MOTU. It wasn't until the NA DVDs that I actually watched the show with an open mind, and I liked it. So, now, 2 decades later I am a fan

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    No............

i knew ABOUT he-man as a kid, i was born in '84. i never saw the show, but the first motu toys i owned were the he-man with gold armor, slushhead, skeletor with the disc shooter, flipshot, the bola jet and the red haired gladiator guy. i played with them non-stop, even after he-man's sword handle broke. i loved them but never saw the show-- i'd seen a few episodes of the original cartoon so the NA stuff had to be my surrogate.

my friend had some of the original motu toys he inherited from his older brother but for some reason i loved the NA stuff way more. idk how i feel about it now, i watched the pilot episode and thought 'eh' (but i like the animation and character designs)

i just recently got back into motu with classics from having never been into it since the mid-90s.

so NA was my introduction to he-man, i miss those toys. he-man + space = radical

Thanks for all the responses.

Well yes and no. It's kinda weird. I grew up watching the original cartoon on the USA network and loved it. So when the NA toys came out my family bought them for me and quite often since the older toys were long gone from the shelf by the time I was allowed to play with action figures. So I grew up with the original cartoon but played with the NA toys. Nowadays I can play with any of them I want.
    Hey Super7 I'm looking forward to what you do for Classics and I'm awaiting these figures!

Spinwit, Gepple, Alcon, Meldoch, Krax, Kayo, Stridor, Kittrina, Melaktha, Drissi, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Vizar, Nocturna

NA DESERVES A MINI SUB!

My Facebook, check it out!

Nope! I started with the original 80s series and then went onto NA, and did like it better than the old MOTU, though as said in an earlier post, I did find it a bit more childish, but as we all know, that's not the fault of the animators!

I actually got the season 1 box set of the original series, but found myself getting very frustrated as each episode went along, just wayyy too camp for my likings now. I actually do prefer NA to both the 80s and 00's revamp, though respect the original.

No I was in H.S. when this came out and I vividly remember watching the Filmation show and playing with the old toys when I was little.

Thanks again.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift Wind View Post
    Well yes and no. It's kinda weird. I grew up watching the original cartoon on the USA network and loved it. So when the NA toys came out my family bought them for me and quite often since the older toys were long gone from the shelf by the time I was allowed to play with action figures. So I grew up with the original cartoon but played with the NA toys. Nowadays I can play with any of them I want.
    Same here. I DID get a few of the old Masters toys via secondhand sources and a couple new buys (I had an original Faker and Slim Pit we had a local drug store that carried toys a while after most had left normal retail).

As above, when New Adventures came out, the idea that there were new He-Man toys was attractive and aside from Slushhead and the AstroSub, I got the entire first year of toys.

Service Merchandise in Fort Lauderdale carried the He-Man action figures in their toy section up until 1993.

in the early 90's i was a figure hog and i don't remember NA at all =|

My intro to He-Man was the Christmas Special when it aired on the USA Channel in 1989, but I have more memories of the NA line of toys more than the original MOTU. I actually never saw the New Adventures show growing up either.
    "This just in: Ping Pong spelled backwards is 'Gnop Gnip'."

Nah. I was a He-Fan back before even the Filmation cartoon. I liked NA, though.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"All you have is your fire, and the place you need to reach
    Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash"
    - Hozier, "Arsonist's Lullabye"