Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tim Burton's Batman released 30 years ago today

Tim Burton's Batman released 30 years ago today

So, today is the 30th anniversary of the wide release of Batman with Michael Keaton. It's insane to think it has been that long. I can still remember going with my parents and loving it but my mom hated since she grew up on the Adam West version...

I still the Burton Keaton movies are the best live action Batman movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    I just saw an article that DC is finally looking into maybe doing a comic series set in the Burton Batman verse.. It amazes me that DC and Marvel seem to just be realizing that people want to see ongoing series (not only one-shots) with alternative versions of characters (like Spidey-Gwen and Smallville).

Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    I just saw an article that DC is finally looking into maybe doing a comic series set in the Burton Batman verse.. It amazes me that DC and Marvel seem to just be realizing that people want to see ongoing series (not only one-shots) with alternative versions of characters (like Spidey-Gwen and Smallville).
    I don't really read many up to date comics, especially of Marvel and DC, the dozen or so more recent Marvel and DC, graphic novels are ones I got quite cheap on sale.

A comic set in the movie verse could be quite cool.

I read DC have done a post apocalyptic Scooby -Doo series. I would be interested in reading that.

The main thing I like about Burton's Batman movies is the way he captured the atmosphere of Gothan.

AHHH memories.. love this flick.. went on my first date..( 6th grade i think) to this one.. Had my Mom sitting in the back..

Would have loved to see what Burton would have done with a 3rd...
    Halloween is not just a holiday.. its a way of life!

I agree and what about 1966 the movie and Nolan's first two Batman movies?

I remember the hype 30 years ago as i knew about this since 1988 in comicscene and starlog magazine as i couldn't wait to see the Batman movie! i saw it 4 times in theaters when i was 8 and i had merchandise, ate the cereal as i had the bank with it and lunchbox with backpack and all that.

I even got it on VHS that year for Christmas and became one of my fave movies i even collected Batman comics, i watched/taped the 60s show on Family Channel and all that.

happy 30th
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post

I remember the hype 30 years ago as i knew about this since 1988 in comicscene and starlog magazine as i couldn't wait to see the Batman movie! i saw it 4 times in theaters when i was 8 and i had merchandise, ate the cereal as i had the bank with it and lunchbox with backpack and all that.

I even got it on VHS that year for Christmas and became one of my fave movies i even collected Batman comics, i watched/taped the 60s show on Family Channel and all that.

happy 30th
    I liked the Adam West series and movie. Mask of the Phantasm is a brilliant Batman movie.
    I am not too keen on Nolan's movies. They have some good scenes but the characters don't reallt seem like the characters they are supposed to be with maybe Joker being the only exception. The plots of his movies were very boring and they just lacked the visual style to really make them proper Batman movies.

I recall getting some of the Batman and Batman Returns figures and the VHS of Returns for Christmas.

I liked the Adam West series and movie. Mask of the Phantasm is a brilliant Batman movie.
    I am not too keen on Nolan's movies. They have some good scenes but the characters don't reallt seem like the characters they are supposed to be with maybe Joker being the only exception. The plots of his movies were very boring and they just lacked the visual style to really make them proper Batman movies.

I recall getting some of the Batman and Batman Returns figures and the VHS of Returns for Christmas.
    I'm going to say it: I liked Batman Forever... I remember being so excited to go see it and was excited to see Jim Carrey in the role as the Riddler. If you remember, the media promotions around this movie were insane and I felt like the movie did not disappoint (esp after Batman Return which was awfully depressing). Interestingly, my mom loved Batman Forever too and I'm guessing this was due to the movie having a more energetic vibe to it like the Adam West tv series she grew up with. But, either way I love all the movie versions of the character and don't get upset when a movie diverges from the book since I just consider a movie another multiverse iteration of the character..

I really liked this movie. I was actually listening to the movie score yesterday! Hard to believe it has been 30 years! I'm getting old...
    For the Honor, for the Glory, for the Power of GRAYSKULL!!!

I love all four of the Batman movies, including Returns, Forever, and & Robin, for me there was something special in all four movies. I especially love Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman and Alicia Silverstone as Batgirl.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

I'm going to say it: I liked Batman Forever... I remember being so excited to go see it and was excited to see Jim Carrey in the role as the Riddler. If you remember, the media promotions around this movie were insane and I felt like the movie did not disappoint (esp after Batman Return which was awfully depressing). Interestingly, my mom loved Batman Forever too and I'm guessing this was due to the movie having a more energetic vibe to it like the Adam West tv series she grew up with. But, either way I love all the movie versions of the character and don't get upset when a movie diverges from the book since I just consider a movie another multiverse iteration of the character..
    I must say only ever watched it once fully back when it came out on VHS and my friend bought it. Since then I have only seen bits of it on TV now and again.

...and it's still the best live-action Batman movie to date.... with the BEST version of the Joker this side of BTAS & Arkham Asylum.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

I watched Batman 89 the other day. I was amazed at how well it held up.

I heard... that the Bat got him
    The Bat?
    Twelve stories straight down. There wasn't no blood in the body.
    No ****, it was all over the pavement. Now you listen to me, there ain't no Bat!
    (As an ominous black shadow rises behind them(

Edit: I forgot to mention, there's a guy here in Monroe who bought a 1989 Corvette and tricked it out into a full on Burton-era Batmobile. He and his wife dress up as Batman and Catwoman every year for the Christmas and Mardi Gras parades.
    Last edited by Dave-Man; June 25, 2019 at 09:05am.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"All you have is your fire, and the place you need to reach
    Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash"
    - Hozier, "Arsonist's Lullabye"

1966 I still love it. Adam West was able to play Bruce Wayne more in the film and I really love his take on the two characters.

As for Nolan, I can't stand them. They are the most "un-superhero superhero movies". They are set too much in the real world and Batman may as well have just been a detective on the police force. There is no comic book fantasy in those films at all. The Batmobile was a disaster, the bat voice, even the cowl I just can't stand to even look at it. If I recall in TDKR the character of Catwoman isn't even called Catwoman-just Selina Kyle- I could be wrong but seem to remember that. Anyways not here to complain about these movies.

I have said it before on this forum but I am a 100% Batman 1989/92 fanboy. I love everything about the 1989 film. I created an earlier thread detailing my Bat-obsession and comments. My 2nd favorite film is Batman 1989, --Frankenstein 1931 edging it out by a gnat's wing.
    Last edited by Spikor1982; June 25, 2019 at 03:18pm.
    "I feel the best when I can't remember anything."

I do still love the Nolan/Bale Batman movies, especially Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle/Catwoman. The Dark Knight Rises is my favourite of the trilogy.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    I recently called out Kevin Smith to convince WB and DC to give as a Batman Beyond movie with Keaton returning to play old man Wayne
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    ...and it's still the best live-action Batman movie to date.... with the BEST version of the Joker this side of BTAS & Arkham Asylum.
    True this thread is about the Tim Burton Batman after all...

Quote Originally Posted by Spikor1982 View Post
    1966 I still love it. Adam West was able to play Bruce Wayne more in the film and I really love his take on the two characters.

As for Nolan, I can't stand them. They are the most "un-superhero superhero movies". They are set too much in the real world and Batman may as well have just been a detective on the police force. There is no comic book fantasy in those films at all. The Batmobile was a disaster, the bat voice, even the cowl I just can't stand to even look at it. If I recall in TDKR the character of Catwoman isn't even called Catwoman-just Selina Kyle- I could be wrong but seem to remember that. Anyways not here to complain about these movies.

I have said it before on this forum but I am a 100% Batman 1989/92 fanboy. I love everything about the 1989 film. I created an earlier thread detailing my Bat-obsession and comments. My 2nd favorite film is Batman 1989, --Frankenstein 1931 edging it out by a gnat's wing.
    What did you think of Returns and Ledger's Joker?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    I recently called out Kevin Smith to convince WB and DC to give as a Batman Beyond movie with Keaton returning to play old man Wayne
    I love the Batman Beyond series, my favourite characters are Max, Inque, and Marina/Aquagirl.

Heroic Warrior

I actually think differently. I think Heath Ledger's Joker was a TERRIBLE joker. He was a great villain, and fascinating character and the best part of the Dark Knight... but he wasn't the Joker. The character was WAY too different and unique to be based on anything from the comics.

Jack's Joker on the other hand... Yeah, I do think he is my favorite Live Action Joker. He seems like he just leapt off the comic page.

When all is said and done... I don't care much for the Nolan movies. I loved the first two at the time... but as age has taken them, I look back and they weren't very good. Too 'realistic'. Too 'grounded' for a story about a man dressed like a bat. Batman NEEDS some fantasy and cheese thrown in to make his world believable. the more realistic and gritty they make him... the more ridiculous he looks.

Batman '89' is dark and gritty and STILL has that comic book feel... They take it to a certain place, but don't cross the line. I think Returns was good too... but I think that one strayed too far from the source. Especially with Penguin-monster. DeVito was BRILLIANT casting... but if they had done a more traditional Penguin, I think it would have elevated the movie to the top slot.

And Yeah.. the 1966 Movie was first true Batman Love. To this day I proclaim Adam West as the most comic accurate Batman. He fully encompasses the essence of 'Bat-god'. He prepares for EVERYTHING. He keeps shark-repellant on a HELICOPTER! In Aerosol form!! Because he was PREPARED!!

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I actually think differently. I think Heath Ledger's Joker was a TERRIBLE joker. He was a great villain, and fascinating character and the best part of the Dark Knight... but he wasn't the Joker. The character was WAY too different and unique to be based on anything from the comics.

Jack's Joker on the other hand... Yeah, I do think he is my favorite Live Action Joker. He seems like he just leapt off the comic page.

When all is said and done... I don't care much for the Nolan movies. I loved the first two at the time... but as age has taken them, I look back and they weren't very good. Too 'realistic'. Too 'grounded' for a story about a man dressed like a bat. Batman NEEDS some fantasy and cheese thrown in to make his world believable. the more realistic and gritty they make him... the more ridiculous he looks.

Batman '89' is dark and gritty and STILL has that comic book feel... They take it to a certain place, but don't cross the line. I think Returns was good too... but I think that one strayed too far from the source. Especially with Penguin-monster. DeVito was BRILLIANT casting... but if they had done a more traditional Penguin, I think it would have elevated the movie to the top slot.

And Yeah.. the 1966 Movie was first true Batman Love. To this day I proclaim Adam West as the most comic accurate Batman. He fully encompasses the essence of 'Bat-god'. He prepares for EVERYTHING. He keeps shark-repellant on a HELICOPTER! In Aerosol form!! Because he was PREPARED!!
    I agree about Joker. He is a good character but a terrible representatioh of the character from the comics etc.
    Jack's Joker really menacing much like he is in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post

I loved the Nolan movies (esp Batman Begins), but I feel that his Trilogy kinda ruined DC movies for awhile. Basically you had versions of characters that were very dark and tragic and that works well with Batman, but when applied to Superman (or other characters) it falls flat. This is why Snyder was brought in to give all of these movies the Dark Knight touch which was a big mistake. Thankfully DC is starting to realize people want something more upbeat and cavalier (dark stuff is ok sometimes, but not too much or all the time) like what Marvel has done and this is why we have had movies like Wonder Woman and Shazam that were terrific. On a side note: the first time I saw the promo pic of Heath Ledger as Joker I thought to myself, "Hmm, that's interesting.. the Cure must be making a come back..." (keep in mind the Joker promo had nothing written so I could not tell what it was (and had not seen Heath Ledger as the Joker yet), and it was smaller so I could not see scars,etc..)Joker.jpgCure.jpg
    Last edited by He-Kal; June 26, 2019 at 07:18pm.

What did you think of Returns and Ledger's Joker?
    I don't mind his performance at all, each Joker has been portrayed differently in all the films and television and I like that we have as many variations as we do.

I will say that Ledger's performance [as good as it is] is not the greatest role ever put to film as some Nolan-ites believe. It is an excellent turn as the character but I think Ledger entered martyrdom when he died before the film was even released and because of that he will always be connected to the Joker.

Ledger was as good in 2008 as Nicholson was in 1989. Different adaptions-both excellent.

As for Returns. There are few things I quibble with but on the whole I love it. My favorite holiday film :-)
    • Max Schreck should have been the Billy Dee Williams Harvey Dent character- the starting of his corruption/being blackmailed by Rupert Thorne maybe. We didn't need a new character after establishing BDW/HD in 1989- though I love the Walken performance we got.
    • The ending when Batman removed his mask, why did they not have the greasepaint around the eyes- that two seconds is a total scene killer.
    • The Penguin riding in the toy Batmobile was a little too cartoony- but does add to the comic book atmospheere
    • The Gotham sets were different and it really felt like a movie set in Returns moreso than 1989
    • Catwoman should have continued on into the next film- and then I start thinking of what might have been for a 3rd Burton Batfilm and I get sad :-(
    Last edited by Spikor1982; June 26, 2019 at 03:39pm.
    "I feel the best when I can't remember anything."

I agree about Joker. He is a good character but a terrible representatioh of the character from the comics etc.
    Jack's Joker really menacing much like he is in the comics.
    What do you think of Nolanites who say "Jack was too old for The Joker and just Jack playing Jack in Joker cosplay where Ledger is Joker playing Joker?" and Nolan's Batman is inspired by Dennis O'Neil's 70s comics even the way Gotham is portrayed in the 70s comics and Frank Miller's comics, The Killing Joke, Death in the Family, a couple of Batman TAS episodes and more.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikor1982 View Post
    I will say that Ledger's performance [as good as it is] is not the greatest role ever put to film as some Nolan-ites believe. It is an excellent turn as the character but I think Ledger entered martyrdom when he died before the film was even released and because of that he will always be connected to the Joker.

[*]The ending when Batman removed his mask, why did they not have the greasepaint around the eyes- that two seconds is a total scene killer.
    ]
    I do think that is true. Ledger was a pretty good actor.... not amazing, but he was definitely a rising star. His death catapulted him into the Marilyn Monroe/James Dean martyrdom... if he hadn't have died people would have still liked the role, but it would have been forgotten and moved on by now.

That's one of the reasons I don't care for the greasepaint mask methods. In my mind and in the comics Batman CAN take off his mask and reveal bruce wayne. He can keep his costume under his tuxedo. The body armor and greasepaint... just don't work for me. Keaton would have looked ridiculous if he'd have pulled off his mask and had that domino eye mask thing going... so I can understand why they just cut it. But it is stll a scene killer. It's actually one of the first 'movie goofs/easter egg' type things I ever noticed in a movie.

I loved the Nolan movies (esp Batman Begins), but I feel that his Trilogy kinda ruined DC movies for awhile. Basically you had versions of characters that were very dark and tragic and that works well with Batman, but when applied to Superman (or other characters) it falls flat. This is why Snyder was brought in to give all of these movies the Dark Knight touch which was a big mistake:
    I blame a combination of Nolan movies and Schumaker movies. Schumaker actively tried to insert more fun and some camp into his movies... and the world lost it's mind. Nolan put the dark in and everyone cheered. Warner Bros gets the message. All Dark all the time. People don't want fun and Camp.. they outright rejected it and nearly rioted.