Thread: Child's Play 2019

Child's Play 2019

I saw it yesterday and it was a surprisingly good reimagining! i like the character since i was 7 seeing the original in theaters and saw 2 in theaters when i was 9 and i felt the last good Child's Play film was 3 which was the last time Chucky was a scary and threatening character then after that Don Mancini lost his touch on writing after 3.

Bride of Chucky was the beginning of the downward fall of the franchise as with that, Seed, Curse and Cult the character and franchise became a complete joke no thanks to Don Mancini who's writing got worse. I mean at least Bride had some nice visuals and good direction by Ronny Yu but fell flat on the script and tries to be scary and funny but fails at that even with unlikable characters as the first 3 had likable characters you cared about and then Seed, Curse and Cult came along as Mancini proves he can't direct for crap and doesn't know what he hell he's doing as he's such an amateur director who became a hack and more unlikable characters and lame stuff. And Cult of Chucky was really awful as it killed the franchise even with that stupid cheat code crap, making Andy a complete idiot ruining the character, breaking the established rules of the first 3 films and all as it wasn't even scary, awful acting, poor production values and that image of Chucky about to be buried by an asylum patient to be buried as he flips off the camera and be buried is a foreshadowing of the funeral process of the franchise, it died after that and even Douriff sounded bored as Chucky in that movie as i can tell in his voice "i'm a talented actor and i'm tired of playing this stupid killer doll and need other roles".

I really enjoyed this new take on the franchise! the kid was quite likable and the mother too, i liked how Chucky was a practical effect and i like the idea of a killer AI than a possessed doll which was done to death already. It really gave me a vibe of that Simpsons episode with Funzo and Small Soldiers, it was something fresh and new. Nice make up and gore effects and has a vibe of Stranger Things to it. Mark Hamil is quite good as the new voice of Chucky and all.

I like that it did different things unlike the Elm Street remake which was just a lame near copy of the original movie and added nothing new but also steal lines from the other films. I like that this made Chucky actually scary again.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

I am quite interested in the new version.

I really like Child's Play 1 & 2. I only seen them for the first time a few years ago. While I enjoyed them I can't say I found them scary. They are more comical a bit like Gremlins.

I read an article a while that the original writer wasn't that pleased with Child's Play as it was very different to his original script.

Sounds like the new one is a different style of horror from the old. I guess that is all right - I never really got into the Child's Play series at all, and the new take is interesting - and a different way for "Chucky" to keep coming back if he's a computer program wild on the internet and not a spirit tied to one doll.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"All you have is your fire, and the place you need to reach
    Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash"
    - Hozier, "Arsonist's Lullabye"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    I am quite interested in the new version.

I really like Child's Play 1 & 2. I only seen them for the first time a few years ago. While I enjoyed them I can't say I found them scary. They are more comical a bit like Gremlins.

I read an article a while that the original writer wasn't that pleased with Child's Play as it was very different to his original script.
    Well the original script wasn't that great, Tom Holland help rewrite the script with John Lafia and it worked out like a charm.

The first 3 were the only Child's Play movies worth watching and this movie actually went back to the roots of the first 3 movies and not be the complete joke like the last 4 films.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

What a trash movie. This had none of the charm of the 80s movie.
    No I am not nostalgic for the original, I only seen it for the first time a few years ago.
    The script is awful. It isn't scary or even funny.
    Just another lazy trashy remake.

Heroic Warrior
    What a trash movie. This had none of the charm of the 80s movie.
    No I am not nostalgic for the original, I only seen it for the first time a few years ago.
    The script is awful. It isn't scary or even funny.
    Just another lazy trashy remake.
    Don't actually agree this time. As far as cheap stupid reboots go.... this one actually tried to be a little creative. It took a worn out property... that kind of ALWAYS sucked and didn't bother trying to remake it. It was a completely different kind of killer doll movie.

Also considering how Technology goes nowdays and the way these toys advance and do more and more... It actually had just a hint of 'y'know... someday that COULD happen..." that the original voodoo possessed doll really never did.

It's not something I'm going to run out and buy and probably never watch again (unless a sequel comes out) but I didn't regret paying my money at the theater for it.

It is interesting to note that Hamill had previously voiced Chucky in the Robot Chicken episode Plastic Buffet back in 2005.
    Last edited by Neophron; September 12, 2019 at 10:34pm.
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

i didnt even know it was out or remade
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Don't actually agree this time. As far as cheap stupid reboots go.... this one actually tried to be a little creative. It took a worn out property... that kind of ALWAYS sucked and didn't bother trying to remake it. It was a completely different kind of killer doll movie.

Also considering how Technology goes nowdays and the way these toys advance and do more and more... It actually had just a hint of 'y'know... someday that COULD happen..." that the original voodoo possessed doll really never did.

It's not something I'm going to run out and buy and probably never watch again (unless a sequel comes out) but I didn't regret paying my money at the theater for it.
    Actually the only thing I liked about it was the fact they did something different with not having the doll possessed through voodoo. With a better script this could have been a great horror and surpassed the original. But a boring plot and uninteresting characters just wasted this movies potential.

Bride of Chucky, to me, is by far THE BEST Chucky movie. Seed of Chucky was fun, but it got TOO weird. The last two movies are good, but Cult of Chucky was too gory. I can't wait to see how the TV show compares. This is the real Chucky - none of that silly Luke Skywalker robot Chucky stuff.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Heroic Warrior
    Actually the only thing I liked about it was the fact they did something different with not having the doll possessed through voodoo. With a better script this could have been a great horror and surpassed the original. But a boring plot and uninteresting characters just wasted this movies potential.
    I believe the key is to go in with ZERO expectations. Child's Play has always been a disaster (even if I do think Cult of Chucky was pretty entertaining), but none of them were ever 'good'. And this was just a "Money grabbing remake". So I went in expecting 2 hours in an air conditioned theater with some popcorn and a pretzel and not much else.

What we ended up with was a movie less about voodoo serial killer and more about electronic devices taking over the world... and that was kind of interesting to me. XXXX goes wrong and kills everyone is a tired worn out plot of nearly ever horror movie ever. Most characters are stock characters there to be killed... Expecting an exciting plot and interesting characters in movies like these are lost causes... but I do think this was better than I hoped for.