Thread: Fright Zone in Motuc

Fright Zone in Motuc

I know this is pipe dream but now that we have the Big Two, the third would have to be the Fright Zone, and this amalgamation would be my dream Fright Zone, once again combining the two different versions into one. Although the difference in the two was actually explained well in masters mail from the comics.
    frightzone.jpg
    frightzone1.jpg
    blog_two_fright _zones.jpg

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by facet View Post
    I know this is pipe dream but now that we have the Big Two, the third would have to be the Fright Zone, and this amalgamation would be my dream Fright Zone, once again combining the two different versions into one. Although the difference in the two was actually explained well in masters mail from the comics.
    frightzone.jpg
    frightzone1.jpg
    It mostly feels like a Pipe Dream to me because of how separate Princesses of Power is. I can see Origins featuring playsets.

There might be some hope depending on what scale Mattelís PoP figures are. I think it would be savvy if it could double for more than one line and had some different influences, fusing POP with toy with Filmation.

How cool would it be if they worked in the Slime Pit?

Heroic Warrior
    frightzone.jpg
    frightzone1.jpg
    I want the Fright Zone but not that one. It would have to be an upgraded version of the original rocky lair toy look, not the weird mechanical monstrosity of the cartoon.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull View Post
    I want the Fright Zone but not that one. It would have to be an upgraded version of the original rocky lair toy look, not the weird mechanical monstrosity of the cartoon.
    I agree I wouldn't want that one either. Just a throne on one side and a bunch of sticks taking up a lot of space lol. To see the vintage one remade would just be cooler and I think would be more interactive.

Heroic Warrior
    frightzone.jpg
    frightzone1.jpg
    If one were made, this is what I'd expect or something similar. It's shown as a mix of designs on the Etheria map.
    Last edited by chuc98; June 26, 2019 at 07:37pm.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    If one were made, this is what I'd expect or something similar. It's shown as a mix of designs on the Etheria map.
    I kind of pictured Horde playsets as modular.

The classic layout would be great for a cutaway dungeon.

Iím imagining the puppet being more like the Marvel Legends Infinity Gauntlet.

The Slime Pit could snap on next to it. The throne area could plug in overlooking the dungeon.

Heroic Warrior
    I'd love a Fright Zone and think it's the best choice for he next adult collector playset. I also agree that it should be more "rock vintage toy" than visually a 3D Filmation reproduction, just like the MOTUC Snake Mountain approach more or less is.
    Last edited by Webstor's Ghost; June 26, 2019 at 10:21pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrala View Post
    I kind of pictured Horde playsets as modular.

The classic layout would be great for a cutaway dungeon.

Iím imagining the puppet being more like the Marvel Legends Infinity Gauntlet.

The Slime Pit could snap on next to it. The throne area could plug in overlooking the dungeon.
    Yes, I can totally see the vintage fright zone and slime pit, along with other sections being assembled to create an environment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull View Post
    Like This one
    fright zone.jpg

Like This one
    fright zone.jpg
    That's AMAZING!!! I would totally get that!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Heroic Warrior
    Like This one
    fright zone.jpg
    That's beautiful, but I was thinking it'd have more to it....you know, like a smaller scaled down Hordak base of operations and a Slime Pit worked in with some Filmation influence along with the more adult-grade nuance of the "vintage playset improved" more organic, more durable vibe that you posted as the core visual as well as considered on the playset deco throughout the multiple locations represented, even if they weren't all stone and wood.

Heroic Warrior
    Like This one
    fright zone.jpg
    That's more like it.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Well, gotta disagree with the majority on here, if they reproduced and tweeked the vintage playset, I would be out. I hated it as a kid and I would hate it even more as an adult. I would only get it if it looked primarily filmation. I much prefer the look of the second picture up top, having a trap door for Mantenna would be the icing on the cake
    Strange women dressed in bird outfits guarding castles distributing swords and harnesses in no basis for a system of heroism.

Canadian 3-packs hunter bObA_fEtt_Ox's Avatar
    OMG all of them would be crazy but I like so much the Filmation style one !
    $$$$$ WANT TO BUY, HIGHTEST PRICES OFFERED $$$$$

>>>>> Heroic warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil Warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil horde 3-pack <<<<<

$$$$$ Email:[email protected] $$$$$

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    Well, gotta disagree with the majority on here, if they reproduced and tweeked the vintage playset, I would be out. I hated it as a kid and I would hate it even more as an adult. I would only get it if it looked primarily filmation. I much prefer the look of the second picture up top, having a trap door for Mantenna would be the icing on the cake
    I honestly don’t picture keeping a lot aside from the layout, the idea of a monster poking its head through and the grate. I can see the Filmation pattern being used as the floor.

And I would see it, like I say, as modular with the classic playset being reworked as the Fright Zone dungeon.

I recall a Fright Zone dungeon in the new She-Ra. Which is where I see this set working.

The SDCC PoP two pack uses retooled 12” DC Superhero Girls. That line also had 6” figures with playsets and I kinda expect She-Ra to piggyback off that.

The Crystal Palace is realistically going to be a big, tall open thing with some cardboard; that’s how girls playsets are now. Possibly reworked from DCSHG high school. It’s kinda similar to the 2012 Bandai Tower of Omens. High volume but made up of thin towers, ropes courses, and a gate.

I can see them doing one or more 6” Fright Zone sets that’rebmore compact and think the Horde stuff in a 6” She-Ra line as being perfect to cross-sell to MOTUC/MOTUO collectors. They could probably even put new Hordak on a retool of the MOTUO He-Man buck as he really doesn’t have the “Calarts” body type used for the kids in POP.

The main city lends itself well to the wide open ropes course thing I was talking about.

Let me show you...

78CFDB9F-50F1-4FD5-B53F-4E6DE4CEEC77.jpeg

But I can see them doing a more traditional design hybridized with POP for the jail area of the POP Fright Zone.

Again, if She-Ra is going to piggyback on DCSHG stuff, 6 inch figures seem reasonable and anything Horde related can probably be a bit fancier if it’s designed in hopes that MOTU fans might also buy it.

Heroic Warrior
    Seems I might not be able to describe this with words... so I'm uploading an image.

This re-edit of the original pic in this thread is the only kind of FRIGHT ZONE Playset I'd be interested in purchasing...one that encapsulates both vintage Mattel Horde playsets (Fright Zone/Slime Pit) AND the Filmation exterior of Hordak's HQ and it would have to have an interior on the other side of it that had a Filmation inspired throne room and maybe a Horde Prime giant hand accessory, plus whatever else made sense for a Hordak HQ interior...

frightzonebsWG-EDIT.jpg

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Webstor's Ghost View Post
    Seems I might not be able to describe this with words... so I'm uploading an image.

This re-edit of the original pic in this thread is the only kind of FRIGHT ZONE Playset I'd be interested in purchasing...one that encapsulates both vintage Mattel Horde playsets (Fright Zone/Slime Pit) AND the Filmation exterior of Hordak's HQ and it would have to have an interior on the other side of it that had a Filmation inspired throne room and maybe a Horde Prime giant hand accessory, plus whatever else made sense for a Hordak HQ interior...

frightzonebsWG-EDIT.jpg
    So if it’s two to three affordable mass retail playsets, you wouldn’t be interested?

As I see it, the Fright Zone City, the cave dungeon with monster, and the Slime Pit could be 3 playsets in the $40-100 range if POP gets 6” mass retail figures.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrala View Post
    So if it’s two to three affordable mass retail playsets, you wouldn’t be interested?

As I see it, the Fright Zone City, the cave dungeon with monster, and the Slime Pit could be 3 playsets in the $40-100 range if POP gets 6” mass retail figures.
    To me, what you are suggesting is not part of this thread, as the thread is MOTUC....and MOTUC is almost an entirely different subject resulting in almost entirely different answers to a "retail MOTU" question like yours.

frightzonebsWG-EDIT.jpg

In the spirit of the thread, and listening to what you had said,you prefer this IF there is an interior throne room, but I don't see that working on this design.
    Strange women dressed in bird outfits guarding castles distributing swords and harnesses in no basis for a system of heroism.

Heroic Warrior
    In the spirit of the thread...
    For the record...I would've addressed Cobrala's question if I knew for sure the context of his question... it seemed like a retail related question... so I commented in a way that if he was curious about what I thought about something, I would need confirmation before I could answer. THAT said... I'll make a blanket statement, and hope what I am about to say is something that satisfies his question somewhat, which is ANY retail playset MOTU puts out now, even if it was a bit smaller scale, I'd buy it with no hesitation.

Now... onto MOTUC...

listening to what you had said,you prefer this IF there is an interior throne room, but I don't see that working on this design.
    ***Sigh*** I know I'll seem like the difficult guy here again, but I can't really jive with your observation as a logical take.

Likely I'm missing something in your phrasing (that's two for two in thread!) , but how would an interior room of ANY kind not work on that design?

I mean, all playset buildings (aside from "facade" playsets, like one of those old school 2 inch deep army mountain plastic shell things) inherently have rooms....flip it around...and there are the rooms.

Like This one
    fright zone.jpg
    No. There has to be more to it. Not just a duplicate updated design of the vintage one.

- - - Updated - - -

frightzonebsWG-EDIT.jpg
    This is more along the line of what I would like. I would just want the backside to incorporate more rooms and not just one big throne room. Otherwise, pretty darn good lol.

For the record...I would've addressed Cobrala's question if I knew for sure the context of his question... it seemed like a retail related question... so I commented in a way that if he was curious about what I thought about something, I would need confirmation before I could answer. THAT said... I'll make a blanket statement, and hope what I am about to say is something that satisfies his question somewhat, which is ANY retail playset MOTU puts out now, even if it was a bit smaller scale, I'd buy it with no hesitation.

Now... onto MOTUC...

***Sigh*** I know I'll seem like the difficult guy here again, but I can't really jive with your observation as a logical take.

Likely I'm missing something in your phrasing (that's two for two in thread!) , but how would an interior room of ANY kind not work on that design?

I mean, all playset buildings (aside from "facade" playsets, like one of those old school 2 inch deep army mountain plastic shell things) inherently have rooms....flip it around...and there are the rooms.
    I suppose I'll try to speak as plainly as possible so you can better understand me, I wouldn't want it to be "three for three in thread"

In looking at that design that you have thrown the picture up of. It has a very big front facade. The center piece portion of it does NOT protrude outward enough to appear to hold a throne/dias that is shown in the other picture at the top of thread. In other words the central base of the playset you are picturing and saying you would like Hordak's throne room,....well it appears very flat and doesn't even have the proper height and scale to house that particular section of the playset. Clearly I own many many playsets that I'm aware house many rooms behind it, I appreciate the condescending tone too btw. But my point is that particular design structurally does not appear to have and backward depth to hold said rooms.

Heroic Warrior
    I suppose I'll try to speak as plainly as possible so you can better understand me, I wouldn't want it to be "three for three in thread"
    Your explanation is appreciated, as I was (rightly or wrongly) confused.

The center piece portion of it does NOT protrude outward enough to appear to hold a throne/dias that is shown in the other picture at the top of thread.
    It's a 2d picture so I'm not sure how you could be SO sure.
    ... it appears very flat and doesn't even have the proper height and scale to house that particular section of the playset.
    Appearing that way, sure, that's more reasonable than being definitive about a 2D picture.

Clearly I own many many playsets that I'm aware house many rooms behind it, I appreciate the condescending tone too btw.
    I often say things quite tersely. My reason for this particular time was that I was trying to drive the point home exactly the way you just characterized it... you own "dollhouse/building" type playsets, and you understand, the mystery of what the front is concealing. As is often the case, I crossed a line there... sorry about that...I was just over-stressing what I thought was the (seemingly simple) solution to your criticism.

But my point is that particular design structurally does not appear to have and backward depth to hold said rooms.
    All I did was pop a 2D image on the front of a 2D object, just placing one wall flush to another wall (covering some windows too, I believe). I didn't mean to change anything behind it. I suppose you're saying it appears a certain way to you as far as my 2D piece residing in the same space as the other 2D piece, IF it was all a 3D scenario, and if that's the case, who am I to debate that...especially because I'm no engineer and have very little art training. I suppose I wouldn't know it was wrong even to look at it.

Again, thanks for the explanation.

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    I'd be down for either a vintage playset inspired Classics Fright Zone or something more out of the cartoon. Or that combination of both.

Regardless, the Evil Horde need a MOTUC base.

I never pulled the trigger on Castle Grayskull or Snake Mountain (for various reasons), but I'd certainly go in for a MOTUC Fright Zone! I've no dog in the fight with regard to its particular bend one way or the other, be it derived more from the cartoon or original playset, or some mix of both, etc.

If there is only one group of Classics figures who are to get a lair, it should be my Horde guys! Haha.

Top 10 MOTUC: Shokoti > Shadow Weaver > Faker > Fang-or > Vykor > Blade > Scareglow > Huntara > Scorpia > Skeletor