Thread: The Three Terrors: Why didnít they make more of a splash?

Heroic Warrior

The Three Terrors: Why didnít they make more of a splash?

Hey!

I have to say the Three Terrors fascinate me.

The heads are oversized. The build is simplistic.

The story tie-in is overpriced, behind a paywall, and the animation doesnít impress.

On the other hand, these are new characters. Theyíre Preternian and Preternia is generally a huge subject of curiosity for fans. If I ever pick up the figures, Iíd probably display them with He-Ro and Eldor.

I feel like these were ALMOST amazing. But I barely see them mentioned anywhere. They donít even have mentions on the wiki!

So what would you do to make them more interesting? Are they worth salvaging?

A part of me would like to see them brought back as Powers of Grayskull expansion figures with new sculpts. Armor. Heck, Battle Armor variants would be REALLY cool. Better face sculpts. Introduce Helter.

But I really WANT to like the idea of villains other than Hordak, Skeletor, or the Snakemen. Thatís the kind of thing I see pushing the brand forward. If MOTU had kept going into 1990, Iím sure weíd have had a new main villain or two enter the fray. TMNT had Lord Dregg. Transformers had new faces like Straxus and Jhiaxus. And Iím relatively sure if Powers of Grayskull had taken off, King Hiss would be joined by new enemies.

I donít know how many more vintage figures S7 is doing but Iíd have loved to see them take a second stab at the Three Terrors and a first proper stab at Helter.

And I know Iíve said it before but I always REALLY wanted a King Hiss without the snake gimmick.

I have them and like them for what they are, but the overall vibe I get is that they are almost a little TOO bootleggy feeling to feel "legit", if that makes sense. The heads are too big and that plastic armor and weapons in hand feel like they're from a knock-off line. I get that they were some of the first things Super7 produced for MOTU and that they probably suffer as a result of that. Plus names like Terror Wolf and Terror Bat are a little underwhelming, even for Masters. I've no doubt if these were released today, there'd probably be more resources poured into them and the head sculpts and all that would probably be more in-line with what we got with He-Ro & Eldor and as a result feel like actual Masters Of The Universe releases. I'd love to see them revamped for something like Classics, because the idea of The Three Terrors is totally MOTU. Just the execution of the figures was a little "eh", and so that probably contributed to them not really catching on or making much of a splash.

Widget
    I'd love to see Reaction versions of the three Terrors

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    I have them and like them for what they are, but the overall vibe I get is that they are almost a little TOO bootleggy feeling to feel "legit", if that makes sense. The heads are too big and that plastic armor and weapons in hand feel like they're from a knock-off line. I get that they were some of the first things Super7 produced for MOTU and that they probably suffer as a result of that. Plus names like Terror Wolf and Terror Bat are a little underwhelming, even for Masters. I've no doubt if these were released today, there'd probably be more resources poured into them and the head sculpts and all that would probably be more in-line with what we got with He-Ro & Eldor and as a result feel like actual Masters Of The Universe releases. I'd love to see them revamped for something like Classics, because the idea of The Three Terrors is totally MOTU. Just the execution of the figures was a little "eh", and so that probably contributed to them not really catching on or making much of a splash.
    Oh. For sure. Wolfar and Batomax and Jagu-R or something.

Although Fighting Foe Men would also be great 5.5 expansion figures and their designs are actual vintage late MOTU unproduced designs so theyíd probably be great as well. Their names are similarly holding them back by being so in-jokey but the designs are Powers of Grayskull era character designs and as I recall their bios place them there as well.

I really think it would be cool if Super7 could ó even if the MOTU license gets pulled back ó retain a PoG license.

The plan for PoG was always to drop the MOTU branding after the first wave as I understand it and most of the new characters from Classics who donít have 5.5s seem to be Preternia characters.

I feel like it would be a great way to carve out a space for Super7 to occupy for the next couple of years. One that allows 5.5 Lady Slither and expansion Snakemen.

They need a mini-comic
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Heroic Warrior
    The Three Terrors just kind of came out of nowhere. I know there was that cartoon that accompanied them but that came out around the same time. Most other MOTU characters/figures that have been made recently all have a certain amount of built up anticipation behind them. Characters like Evil Seed or Shadow Weaver have been around for 30+ years.What if we had had them. The mystery of “what could have been” with He-Ro and Eldor has been building for years or “what if” He-Man, She-Ra, Hordak etc would have looked more like the cartoon when we were kids. Even characters from The New Adventures and the early 2000s cartoon as well as the mini-comics have piqued our interest for years. The Three Terrors are at a severe disadvantage when it comes to long term desire. I think Possessed Skeletor did ok because he’s Skeletor plus he looks much less like a bootleg than the others. It was like, “Here’s a cartoon you never really asked for and some figures of characters you never knew existed until now.” That’s my theory anyway as to why they didn’t make a bigger splash. At least part of the reason. Again, there is the “Bootleggyness” of the whole thing. Personally, I like them and proudly display them with my vintage collection.

Heroic Warrior AntiEternia He-Man's Avatar
    All of the above sound reasonable as reasons for the lack of splash. I would also add the lack of authenticity many might see them as having due to not being made by Mattel. I like them though.

Anything MOTU 5.5” goes with the original line as far as my display.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrala View Post
    Oh. For sure. Wolfar and Batomax and Jagu-R or something.
    Wulf-Bane and Bat-Talion and Jag-Warrior lol

Pretty much because they look like bootlegs. Which is probably what S7 were going for TBH. But if they'd had better designs that fit in with the vintage line better then fans would have been more accepting of them.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

That PlanetEternia.de guy Sir Reilly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrala View Post
    Although Fighting Foe Men would also be great 5.5 expansion figures and their designs are actual vintage late MOTU unproduced designs so theyíd probably be great as well.
    The three figures called "Fighting Foe Men" in the Classics line were not based on designs for unproduced vintage figures. They were just done to have MotU-esque pilots on the boxes of Monogram's model kit vehicles.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

They needed a Classics release. For me, the vintage look is just not as good.
    I think it is time to explore the mythos beyond the time of SOH, or maybe I will eat a taco, either way I'm good.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Ro Eats Soup View Post
    They needed a Classics release. For me, the vintage look is just not as good.
    Yeah but the heads on the 3 Terrors are below normal vintage style standards, whether it was done on purpose or not. If they had been done in the Classics line they would have probably been purposely designed in the same way.

I liked them super 7 said they wanted to do another cartoon now that king heltor has been awakened and show his full design. They should make a king heltor release if the second cartoon ever gets made.
    Last edited by facet; July 22, 2019 at 11:38pm.

Heroic Warrior
    I personally thought they looked a little too much like knock offs. The biggest issue to me was the armor not looking like authentic MOTU armor to me. Totally a personal taste thing, but they were just a tad off. Had they looked like they would have existed in the vintage line, to my aesthetic, I would have been all over them.

These guys are the only figures I don't own, and dont care to lol.

Heroic Warrior
    They didnít look different enough from each other to warrant three of them. The cartoon was cool and the Skeletor variant was interesting though...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    The three figures called "Fighting Foe Men" in the Classics line were not based on designs for unproduced vintage figures. They were just done to have MotU-esque pilots on the boxes of Monogram's model kit vehicles.
    But the model kits are vintage!

So vintage that they appear to be based on older concept art!

Shoving them into Preternia was a retcon but since we never got Powers of Grayskull as a line, Iíd be all for PoG being expanded into a separate license for Super7 to exploit.

That stuff is crack for hardcore fans. Itís probably the opposite of what Mattel will be doing for awhile.

Strip MOTU completely off the box. Come up with a master list of Preternian characters, produced and unproduced. Pick a design for an unavoidable crossover character like King Hiss distinct from the vintage toy. Maybe mandate a new King Grayskull variant that looks less like He-Man. He-Ro and Tytus give us kind of a template. Big breastplate with the G logo. Keep the hair and the cape as theyíre already distinct. Crib mercilessly from Tytus and He-Ro. Mattel would have if theyíd planned a separate King Grayskull in 1987.

Heíd probably have He-Roís boots in silver and a vac metal miniaturized Tytus-style chestpiece with Thunderpunch He-Man arms.

Oh! Epic callback! Make the power sword actually look like the one on Castle Grayskullís flag!

Lots of ways to spin it!

I actually really enjoyed the cartoon they did, eventhough it took me ages to find where I could actually buy it (turned out only Vimeo would let me).

Quote Originally Posted by Razzerian View Post
    I actually really enjoyed the cartoon they did, eventhough it took me ages to find where I could actually buy it (turned out only Vimeo would let me).
    No iTunes? Thatís where I bought it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Razzerian View Post
    Yeah I got it in the Google Play Store. Maybe there was some kind of geo restrictions for certain countries.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

I thought they were cool but I moved on from vintage when Classics came out. I would still be way into Classics versions of these guys. They look cool and I have a thing for groups of three.

I donít mean to pile on the poor figures but their heads look like those waxy erasers that would crumble when you used them.

Nobody ever mentions the Helter Skelter reference... King Heltor possesses Skeletor... come on, itís right there!

The Three Terrors really don't impress me. I don't think they look cool and they really aren't "vintage" material to me. I admire their attempt but we've already had our vintage figures. Now figures like He-Ro and Eldor are different because they were supposed to be released back in the day and never did so I categorize them as vintage. Each to their own I guess.

Master of New Adventures!
    At first glance the thread looked like it was asking: "The Three Tenors: Why didn't they make more of a splash?" And I was thinking, geez -- Pavarotti, Domingo and Carreras? It doesn't get much bigger than that.

I don't think The Three Terrors were included in enough media to make a dent. They were basically in that new cartoon short, but never seen again. I dunno how much pull S7 had, but I would have tried to get them into more media, like maybe mentions in bios?