Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 167 Discussion - Super7 ReAction & 5" Retro MOTU

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 167 Discussion - Super7 ReAction & 5" Retro MOTU

Episode 167 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Nate Baertsch, Rob Base and Daniel Benedict are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

In this episode they discuss
    Rob hates molding,
    Super7 ReAction MOTU,
    blind boxes and variants,
    Super7 ReAction vs Funko ReAction,
    Wave 5 available,
    nostalgia lines,
    Super7 5.5" MOTU figures,
    Filmation style VS unreleased characters,
    gloss shine and paint apps,
    packaging,
    and much more!

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

And if you have a comment or a question, please call us at (310) 933-5993 or at our Skype account "roastgooble" and leave a voicemail (in Skype, please go to Call Phones and enter roastgooble as the phone number and dial in. Please do not add roastgooble to your contact list as we won't accept the request. Sorry!) We'll try to work your voicemail into the show, so please call! Otherwise, you can e-mail us at gooble (at) he-man (dot) org. One or more of the hosts will read your e-mail on the show. Please keep e-mails short and sweet!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Recorded on June 27, 2019
    Runtime: 0 hour, 56 minutes, 25 seconds

Direct link for Episode 167

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2019!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Another fun show, guys.

I love the ReAction figures, MOTU and many of their other properties. But, I’ll caveat that with saying that I am a huge 3-3/4” guy. It’s my favorite scale. So, to have the MOTU characters in this format...I love ‘em!

But, I get that these aren’t for everyone.

The same, I suppose, for the 5.5 Filmation. I only got the He-man and Skeletor. I really like them, but I’m not getting them all. But I wanted the two main guys.
    Last edited by jeffcope; June 30, 2019 at 01:14pm.

Heroic Warrior
    First time listening. Thanks for talking ReAction!

(Just got to the part where you talked about me!)
    Last edited by Shaun Flaherty; June 30, 2019 at 02:49pm.

Heroic Warrior
    I think the most exciting 5.5s are He-Ro, Eldor, She-Ra, Shadow Weaver, and Evil Seed because they appeared in vintage MOTU media but never got figures, followed by Hordak. The others are novel but the problem is that they suffer by comparison if the QC isnít perfect and it wasnít. The designs are a bit different but the figures arenít sturdy. He-Ro and Eldor are supposedly quite great, accessories aside.

I think the most exciting path forward would be stuff like Slamurai, Lady Slither, King Grayskull, the Fighting Foe Men, Horde Prime, Draego Man, Preternia He-Man. Maybe to keep He-Man and Skeletor in the mix, 200x variants done Vintage style. Or Stout designs which are legitimately different and which expand on the three Stout figures from actual vintage. Iíd have been intrigued by King Hiss or Ram Man redone to omit original gimmicks with standard articulation and power punch.

Iíd have also been willing to sacrifice power punch for better legs if the tooling budget was limited. Power punch gives you a nice feeling out of the box but means little if the figures donít hold up under light play and eventually youíre going to want to put these figures on vintage vehicles, which the legs donít seem to want to cooperate with without pre-heating.

For similar reasons, if She-Ra gets one piece of cloth goods, Iíd take rubber cape and fabric skirt over fabric cape and rubber skirt because Iíd love for her to be able to pilot the Road Ripper and the Battle Ram and ride Battle Cat and Swift Wind.

EDIT: Finished the podcast. I think the shininess is less egregious and better received on He-Ro and Eldor because that is a direction MOTU was headed. King Hiss ó He-Roís arch enemy ó was made of similar shiny, hollow plastic. The late figures had hinged legs. Likewise, if She-Ra, Evilseed, and Shadow Weaver had been in MOTU, theuíd probably be shiny plastic.

She-Ra is a weird case for me because they made her an 83 style figure with that Teela homage. Late run MOTU wasnít like that. Sorceress didnít have those proportions or stance. There was a poseable She-Ra Toothbrush holder in 5.5Ē scale and I think she represents more of what a MOTU release of She-Ra in 86 or 87 would look like. If theyíd referenced the toothbrush figure more, it would feel more right to me.
    Last edited by Cobrala; June 30, 2019 at 03:52pm.

Widget
    Its Funny I love 5.5 inch figures (I collect realm of the underworld) and I love he-man but I only collect Reaction MOTU.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausbot View Post
    Its Funny I love 5.5 inch figures (I collect realm of the underworld) and I love he-man but I only collect Reaction MOTU.
    The ABS-like plastic (not just the glossy finish but the brittle, Lego/Transformers feel) makes S7ís figures weird for me.

Like I say, vintage King Hiss used similar plastic. I think Sorceress did. Teela and Evil-Lyn maybe? Horde Trooper for sure.

As a result, He-Ro and Eldor look fine to me. She-Ra looks okay. But I think thatís because they fit in with very late run MOTU.

Most of the rest DO look and feel off for me in ways that Funkoís and RotU donít.

I know the added articulation on the new SDCC figs is a turn off for some but the plastic itself looks like the right kind of semi-rubbery matte.

To me, a signature part of 5.5 isnít just gloss vs. matte but that vinyl/rubbery quality. That feel like it would bend a lot before it would ever snap.

I wasn't big on the Reaction figures at first, but I found a way to display them that makes me much more interested. I first saw people using these display cases for Loyal Subjects figures, and they work even better for the Reactions.

The cases are the Shot Glass Display Case, and can be found at Michael's. Regular price they are $65, but they are often on sale 50% off or more, and you can get them for less than $30. They hold 28 figures, and are just the right height for most of the figures. To me it makes them a better display piece, more like designer figures, like you all were saying. Plus it makes it better to display the several variants as well. I wasn't crazy about the variants at first either, but now that there are so many, it works. The crazy Mexican Mini Comics Skeletor and Mer-Man variants really sold me on wanting all these different versions.

I'll try to post some pictures of how I have them displayed later.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    The reason I don't care for the ReAction Masters of the Universe line is that the characters are supposed to be beefy. They look really odd in-hand in this size. Han Solo and Marty McFly as the same size as He-Man just isn't right to me, lol.

As for the retro figures, I was overjoyed with Eldor and He-Ro, and meh on most of the Filmation inspired variants.

I would love if Super7 could create a retro "1988" line expanding on the Powers of Grayskull.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    The reason I don't care for the ReAction Masters of the Universe line is that the characters are supposed to be beefy. They look really odd in-hand in this size. Han Solo and Marty McFly as the same size as He-Man just isn't right to me, lol.

As for the retro figures, I was overjoyed with Eldor and He-Ro, and meh on most of the Filmation inspired variants.

I would love if Super7 could create a retro "1988" line expanding on the Powers of Grayskull.
    There are even some cartoon characters who make sense for this! Fangman, for one. He was abandoned at some point in the past prior to the construction of Grayskull.

Thereís a lot of interesting stuff in terms of who the Grayskull era characters are. Like I say, it accounts for the majority of Classics figs who never got 5.5s.

I love the FFM because they were on late 80s model kits.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    Marty McFly riding Battle Cat is The Dream.