Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Official 2019-2020 College Football Thread

Master of New Adventures!

The Official 2019-2020 College Football Thread

Okay, all you college football fans. Here we go again! It's time for The Official 2019-2020 College Football Thread.

A lot of things got shook up during last season, especially the College Football Playoff National Championship. But there was plenty of other chaos out there which, of course, makes things interesting. Biggest shocker of the season? Purdue trouncing Ohio State 49-20. Go Boilermakers!!!

So for the last four or five years I've kicked off this thread by shooting my mouth off about predicting the University of Nebraska Cornhuskers would have an amazing season. This year I'm going to go in complete opposite direction and predict they will suck...of course hoping this will flip some cosmic joke switch somewhere and they'll actually end up being amazing. Time will tell.

Because I always go ridiculously out on a limb on some of my suggestions, I'm going to call a long shot and say Notre Dame will end up the National Champion.

My friend David Blough has now graduated from Purdue, so the Boilermakers are in need of someone strong at QB, but I do think they'll finish in the top ten by virtue of having a great coach.

Anyone else have pre-season predictions? Yeah yeah. I know. Alabama, Alabama, Alabama. Blah, blah, blah. (Just kidding. )

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Okay, all you college football fans. Here we go again! It's time for The Official 2019-2020 College Football Thread.

A lot of things got shook up during last season, especially the College Football Playoff National Championship. But there was plenty of other chaos out there which, of course, makes things interesting. Biggest shocker of the season? Purdue trouncing Ohio State 49-20. Go Boilermakers!!!

So for the last four or five years I've kicked off this thread by shooting my mouth off about predicting the University of Nebraska Cornhuskers would have an amazing season. This year I'm going to go in complete opposite direction and predict they will suck...of course hoping this will flip some cosmic joke switch somewhere and they'll actually end up being amazing. Time will tell.

Because I always go ridiculously out on a limb on some of my suggestions, I'm going to call a long shot and say Notre Dame will end up the National Champion.

My friend David Blough has now graduated from Purdue, so the Boilermakers are in need of someone strong at QB, but I do think they'll finish in the top ten by virtue of having a great coach.

Anyone else have pre-season predictions? Yeah yeah. I know. Alabama, Alabama, Alabama. Blah, blah, blah. (Just kidding. )
    Well since I am a Notre Dame grad, I love your prediction. Go Irish!

I think Nebraska will get 7 or 8 wins. It might be the 1st time I do not go to a Nebraska game in over 10 years since my aunt that usually sells me tickets to a game at their regular ticket price wants to sell multiple games off or not at all. I do plan to go to an Iowa State game or two.

Heroic Warrior
    If I recall right the bowl agreements? arrangements? have been renegotiated. So that is all shook up. so the post season might have a different look to it.

Fyi, Kim's uncle is Notre Dame Heisman Award-winner Johnny Lujack. As a University of Nebraska graduate and a rabid college football fan -- how lucky can one guy be? -- with our living a half hour from ND she occasionally finds herself a bit conflicted. But most of the time she gains happiness from posting the Sea of Red pics at Notre Dame Stadium for the 2000 Nebraska/Notre Dame game.

https://www.huskerboard.com/index.ph...ed-notre-dame/

Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    Well since I am a Notre Dame grad, I love your prediction. Go Irish!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Fyi, Kim's uncle is Notre Dame Heisman Award-winner Johnny Lujack. As a University of Nebraska graduate and a rabid college football fan -- how lucky can one guy be? -- with our living a half hour from ND she occasionally finds herself a bit conflicted. But most of the time she gains happiness from posting the Sea of Red pics at Notre Dame Stadium for the 2000 Nebraska/Notre Dame game.

https://www.huskerboard.com/index.ph...ed-notre-dame/
    Johnny Lujack? That's really cool! I graduated from ND in 1999, so I wasn't there for the ND-Nebraska game in 2000. However, those were pretty lean years for the Irish, so the Sea of Red doesn't surprise me. I live in Texas, so I don't get back to ND campus much now, but I have been fortunate to see ND in their trips to Texas over the years, most recently in the College Football Playoff in at Cowboys Stadium back in December.

"Lean years". As a Nebraska fan, don't get me started. But as the Cornhuskers' fight song says, "We'll all stick together, in all kinds of weather, for dear old Nebraska U."

And isn't that really what college football is about? Sticking together and pulling for your team? Kind of like marriage -- hanging in there for the good times and the not so good times.

College football... Imo, ain't nuthin' like it nowhere. Can't wait for kickoff!!! "Go Big Red", "Roll Tide, Roll", "Good Old Rocky Top!" I love you all!

Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    Johnny Lujack? That's really cool! I graduated from ND in 1999, so I wasn't there for the ND-Nebraska game in 2000. However, those were pretty lean years for the Irish, so the Sea of Red doesn't surprise me. I live in Texas, so I don't get back to ND campus much now, but I have been fortunate to see ND in their trips to Texas over the years, most recently in the College Football Playoff in at Cowboys Stadium back in December.

I’ll be yelling Roll Tide! I just hope we can rebound after the national championship game. It was a tough pill to swallow. I’m just hoping that these aren’t the first cracks in the dynasty. There were supposedly issues with the coaching staff. Well, Nick Saban cleaned house so we’ll see what happens. I know it can’t go on forever, but I hope Nick Saban can keep it going for a little longer.

I don’t think Notre Dame has a real shot at a National Championship. They are good but not elite under Brian Kelley. Look at what Alabama did to them in 2012, and Clemson did to them last year. They even lost to Georgia when they were just getting started under Kirby Smart. Elite teams expose them.

I think Clemson is taking Alabama’s place on the national stage. I think Georgia is going to continue to be a national player and I think they will take Alabama’s place in the SEC, when this run does finally end.

I just hope we can bring Dabo Swinney home when Nick Saban retires. If so, maybe we could keep this going. I have my doubts though. He’s creating his own legend at Clemson. Why would he want to come back to Alabama just to follow in the footsteps of two giants, Bear Bryant and Nick Saban? I hope I’m wrong.

For this year, I see Alabama, Clemson and Georgia being the heavyweights. As far as Oklahoma goes, there’s a reason Tua replaced Jalen at Alabama. As much as we loved Jalen, he had his issues. I think he’s super athletic, but that doesn’t always translate into being the best quarterback. So we will have to see what Jalen can do this year. Ohio State will have to prove to me they can do it with a new coach. Michigan will have to prove they can do it with Harbaugh. I have my doubts.

It’s college football though. Anything can happen. Everything I think will happen could end up being way off base.

Roll Tide Roll!

Heroic Warrior
    just now seeing. this is kind of neat.

https://www.newsarama.com/46486-marv...nt-covers.html

Two teams from Florida is an interesting selection. Miami barely gets anyone to go to their games these days. I'd totally buy a Nebrasaka vs. Oklahoma, Miami, or Florida covers, though (as long as it was the games that Nebraska won).

Kick-off looms!!! Yay!!!

I'm a much bigger NFL fan than a college football fan traditionally, but a thing that is neat for me is that my nephew is the starting Safety for the Cal Bears football team. Cal's secondary is a unit that was just featured in an article in the most recent issue of Sports Illustrated as being one of the top defensive backfields in the country. It's been really neat for me to go to the games and get more plugged in to college football overall because of the family connection. Cal won't be a contender in the national conversation and is unlikely to be ranked in the top 25 at any point this season (their offense is a mess), but their defense should still be really good and if the fates smile upon him and he doesn't suffer any injury this season there's a good shot my nephew gets drafted in the first couple of rounds next April

Well, not exactly a spectacular win or an auspicious opening game against a weak, unranked team, but it's now in the W column, so I'll take it. It was good to see Nebraska D show up, but Martinez needs to show a lot more at QB if they hope to stay ranked.

All in all it I thought it was an enjoyable weekend of college football -- great to see games on all screens throughout our Saturday evening out. With the exception of the Oregon upset by Auburn, no big surprises. I stayed up late to watch the sad end to the Purdue game (our Alex attends Purdue) with Nevada's back-up place kicker booting a 56-year field goal to win it in triple overtime.

Looking forward to Notre Dame tonight, then on to next weekend. Nebraska, though barely ranked, is an underdog at Colorado. That thin air is brutal on the Great Plains boys.

GO BIG RED!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PantherCult View Post
    I'm a much bigger NFL fan than a college football fan traditionally, but a thing that is neat for me is that my nephew is the starting Safety for the Cal Bears football team. Cal's secondary is a unit that was just featured in an article in the most recent issue of Sports Illustrated as being one of the top defensive backfields in the country. It's been really neat for me to go to the games and get more plugged in to college football overall because of the family connection. Cal won't be a contender in the national conversation and is unlikely to be ranked in the top 25 at any point this season (their offense is a mess), but their defense should still be really good and if the fates smile upon him and he doesn't suffer any injury this season there's a good shot my nephew gets drafted in the first couple of rounds next April

I once was like you -- a big NFL fan. Growing up in Chicago, I only favored pro teams -- da Bulls, da Bears, da Sox, da Cubs and da Blackhawks. I didn't even know what college football was about. Then I met my University of Nebraska grad and everything changed. Today I'm a rabid college football fan and a huge Nebraska convert. I enjoy it much more than the NFL, although the Chiefs will always have a place in my heart because Kim and I lived in K.C. for five years.

I remember the precise moment when I became a college football fan. Kim took me to Lincoln to see the Huskers play. In the morning of game day we walked into a bar -- long gone now -- called Sidetracks. It held about two hundred people and it was packed, almost everyone decked out in red and all chowing down on pizza. Up on the stage there were two grand pianos. At last, the pianos played the Nebraska fight song. Everyone stood, wildly cheering. When it was over, everyone sat back down, returning to their pizza. A few moments later the pianos played the opposing/visiting team's fight song. In unison, every Nebraska fan in the place rose to their feet in respect. At the end of the song the crowd cheered as loudly as they had for Nebraska's fight song.

In that moment I realized "this is essence of what sports -- all sports -- is supposed to be about" -- competition, loyalty, but unbridled respect for fellow warriors. In that moment I wanted only one thing: more. And over the years that's exactly what I've gotten.

And to me, while it would be nice, it doesn't matter if Nebraka's in competition for a bowl game or even whether or not they're ranked. As their fight song says, "We'll all stick together, in all kinds of weather, for dear old Nebraska U."

GO BIG RED!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Starting it off with a great Miami/Florida game last night, followed by Hawai'i/Arizona. That Hawai'i QB has got an arm!

- - - Updated - - -

OMG! Three days to Nebraska kickoff! I'm dying' here!!!
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; September 2, 2019 at 05:15pm.

Nebraska's season sucked even with my low expectations. With 4 close loses, they could have easily been 9-3. I think Scott Frost is a bit too stubborn at times and his play calling at times has been suspect. How many times do you need to call a swing or a screen pass before you know it just isn't going to work this year? He needs to learn to adopt to the Big 10 style of play more. Unless they start getting top 10 recruiting classes, they need to be more like Wisconsin (or old Nebraska) and less like Ohio State. He is also too married to Adrian Martinez since he was his prize recruit. There are a couple of games this year where they would have been better off with one of his backups playing. I don't know if it is partially due to injuries or not, but Martinez really regressed. I think Frost should get rid of some of his assistants and get a play calling OC, so he can handle the little things in more of a CEO role, but I don't see that happening either. Nebraska's schedule is super tough these next 2 years, so it doesn't get any easier.

I was hoping Iowa State would take the next step and compete for a Big 12 title or at least get around the 9 win mark, so their season was a bit disappointing as well.

We're on exactly the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Nebraska's season sucked even with my low expectations. With 4 close loses, they could have easily been 9-3. I think Scott Frost is a bit too stubborn at times and his play calling at times has been suspect. How many times do you need to call a swing or a screen pass before you know it just isn't going to work this year? He needs to learn to adopt to the Big 10 style of play more. Unless they start getting top 10 recruiting classes, they need to be more like Wisconsin (or old Nebraska) and less like Ohio State. He is also too married to Adrian Martinez since he was his prize recruit. There are a couple of games this year where they would have been better off with one of his backups playing. I don't know if it is partially due to injuries or not, but Martinez really regressed. I think Frost should get rid of some of his assistants and get a play calling OC, so he can handle the little things in more of a CEO role, but I don't see that happening either. Nebraska's schedule is super tough these next 2 years, so it doesn't get any easier.

I was hoping Iowa State would take the next step and compete for a Big 12 title or at least get around the 9 win mark, so their season was a bit disappointing as well.

Heroic Warrior

2020 season?

I don't know if it's smart for the University of Iowa to start up football camp on the first of June. I haven't put any thought into either side of the case.

or if it's smart to have a 2020 football or college season. or for that matter any other league or sport.

what I am now curious about, an idea that popped into my head, is what about the players. what about the hockey, nfl and the other sports?
    Once we get a vaccine will it? should it? become necessary or mandatory for the sportsball people to get the shot in order to participate.

I do know one thing. I just can't shed a tear when I see headlines for X sport league saying that they'll lose x amount of millions of dollars. Mainly because I don't believe it.

Yes. I want to go to sports. Yes I want to watch sports but I think I'm ok if a season doesn't happen. Will it suck? yes. but I'll survive. Though I think Mr. Olesker would go into severe with drawl like systems.

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    I don't know if it's smart for the University of Iowa to start up football camp on the first of June. I haven't put any thought into either side of the case.

or if it's smart to have a 2020 football or college season. or for that matter any other league or sport.

what I am now curious about, an idea that popped into my head, is what about the players. what about the hockey, nfl and the other sports?
    Once we get a vaccine will it? should it? become necessary or mandatory for the sportsball people to get the shot in order to participate.

I do know one thing. I just can't shed a tear when I see headlines for X sport league saying that they'll lose x amount of millions of dollars. Mainly because I don't believe it.

Yes. I want to go to sports. Yes I want to watch sports but I think I'm ok if a season doesn't happen. Will it suck? yes. but I'll survive. Though I think Mr. Olesker would go into severe with drawl like systems.
    Yeah, well I've been in 'withdrawal' ever since Callahan took over, followed by Mad Dog Pelini and pretty much everyone since. My heart goes out to Scott Frost, but recruiting is a different game than it was during Dr. Tom's era.

Thank heavens there's YouTube and I can revel in the Golden Age of the 90's Cornhuskers' football, during which I attended three National Championships with Kim, joyfully perched on the 50 yard line, no more than a forward pass away from the sideline. I know: Past glories. Sigh...
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; May 4, 2020 at 03:55pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Not football.

But if you like stuff with your favorite college team on it then boy do I have the site, that I just stumbled onto through an ad banner, for you.

https://www.balfour.com/team-shop

Heroic Warrior

news article link

just now seeing this.

One of my knee jerk reactions is "wonder if other teams will do this?"

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...-the-hawkeyes/

- - - Updated - - -

I was never quite strong enough? convinced enough? to pick a side. You name it:should there be a lock down? how long for the lockdown? should there be sports? etc.

But after seeing reports of infected/contagious/whatever people in appear in Iowa State University and University of Iowa (the big two here in Iowa for those you MAY not know) athletics i'm practically convinced there should NOT be any sports for the fall or the rest of the year.

I think, a bit more so now, sports should start up when there is a vaccine and the players have taken and proof of it. As for all you non-vaxxers, well, assuming you made it this far in life, NOPE! Don't want you threatening the safety and well being of others.

Sign a waiver? In this case no.

We need to do some tough love here.

*Whiney voice* But the (insert schools/team/league here) will lose X ?illions of dollars *end whiney voice*

(begin sarcasm) boo forking who. Don't care. Don't think or want you to convince me other wise (end sarcasm)

I'm not wishing to start a debate or an argument for that which I say. I'm just saying I finally picking a side.

Heroic Warrior

doesn't look good

Mr. Olesker are you sitting down? No? You might want to.

I've been seeing that there could NOT be a season. It looks like we are inching closer and closer to that conclusion.

It's done. 2020 is toast.

Probably the best thing that could happen to Nebraska.

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    Mr. Olesker are you sitting down? No? You might want to.

I've been seeing that there could NOT be a season. It looks like we are inching closer and closer to that conclusion.

Heroic Warrior

It looks like the Big 12, SEC, ACC, and some smaller conferences will play on. There are some games this weekend.

All 14 of the Big 10 ADs and a lot of players and players' parents wanted to play this season, but the Big 10 Commish (who ironically has a son that will be playing SEC football) and most of the school presidents decided differently. Iowa and Nebraska seemed the most in favor of playing.
    https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/repo...ut-of-process/

FYI: https://sportsnaut.com/2020/08/nebra...otball-season/

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    It looks like the Big 12, SEC, ACC, and some smaller conferences will play on. There are some games this weekend.

All 14 of the Big 10 ADs and a lot of players and players' parents wanted to play this season, but the Big 10 Commish (who ironically has a son that will be playing SEC football) and most of the school presidents decided differently. Iowa and Nebraska seemed the most in favor of playing.
    https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/repo...ut-of-process/

Heroic Warrior
    Iowa fan here for all you Huskers fans....

If Nebraska plays do you think the Big 10 will kick them out. Is there any tension there?

I haven't looked at any Iowa numbers for a while let alone nationwide but regardless with each passing day I am still of the mind that there shouldn't be sports.

I didn't even know Delany was gone. Had to look it up.