Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU Origins x WWE Mash-Up Line - Masters of the WWE Universe

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty.81 View Post
    What about Hasbro and G.I. Joe? Don't they have toy rights to the name SGT Slaughter?
    Nope. Bob Remus was wrestling with the name and gimmick in the early 70s before he signed with WWF or Hasbro so the name and gimmick belong to him. It's up to the contract whether the licensing is exclusive and/or very specific for the whatever time a particular contract covers. Contracts could be drawn up in such a way that the "Sgt. Slaughter" character could be part of the WWE line (which should also allow for a MOTWWEU figure -- he is currently with the WWE Ambassador program), Valaverse and the rumored G.I. Joe Classified line all at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Abell View Post
    Nope. Bob Remus was wrestling with the name and gimmick in the early 70s before he signed with WWF or Hasbro so the name and gimmick belong to him. It's up to the contract whether the licensing is exclusive and/or very specific for the whatever time a particular contract covers. Contracts could be drawn up in such a way that the "Sgt. Slaughter" character could be part of the WWE line (which should also allow for a MOTWWEU figure -- he is currently with the WWE Ambassador program), Valaverse and the rumored G.I. Joe Classified line all at the same time.
    That would be nuts.

- - - Updated - - -

Like I said before these lines look good together, but they don't seem to get along...

MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 2/27/2021

Haha! Funny pic Smitty! And a cool way to think of the Terror Claws, as a control device. Kind of like exploding collars, but when you want to use your prisoners as battle fodder! "Fight! Or lose your hands!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ka Rot-Top View Post
    Haha! Funny pic Smitty! And a cool way to think of the Terror Claws, as a control device. Kind of like exploding collars, but when you want to use your prisoners as battle fodder! "Fight! Or lose your hands!"
    Thanks, be sure to check out the link in my sig to get the full story...
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 2/27/2021

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Abell View Post
    Correct, and in the case of Sgt. Slaughter, it may be even easier since Remus himself is the sole owner, than it was for Rowdy Roddy Piper, whose name and likeness is co-owned by the estate of Piper and Titan Sports/WWE/Vinny Mac. Vince had to sign off when they made the They Live figures. That was a big sticking point as to why Sarge left the WWF originally; Vince claimed he owned the Sgt Slaughter character and wanted a piece of that Hasbro money.

Like you said, it all falls on whether or not an exclusive contract was signed. Wrestlers don't often go in for exclusive figures because it limits their earning potential, with the nature of the business and the way they jump promotions (though the sandbox is a lot smaller today than it was 20 years ago.)
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    Correct, and in the case of Sgt. Slaughter, it may be even easier since Remus himself is the sole owner, than it was for Rowdy Roddy Piper, whose name and likeness is co-owned by the estate of Piper and Titan Sports/WWE/Vinny Mac. Vince had to sign off when they made the They Live figures. That was a big sticking point as to why Sarge left the WWF originally; Vince claimed he owned the Sgt Slaughter character and wanted a piece of that Hasbro money.

Like you said, it all falls on whether or not an exclusive contract was signed. Wrestlers don't often go in for exclusive figures because it limits their earning potential, with the nature of the business and the way they jump promotions (though the sandbox is a lot smaller today than it was 20 years ago.)
    The "stolen valor" charges may complicate who wants to sign Remus. Though it should have little bearing on fantasy toy action figures, it may make Hasbro think twice about paying too much for his likeness in a war fantasy line that has a strong backbone of vets in the fandom. Meanwhile, I think there's less that might discourage Mattel in a fantasy wrestler line that trades heavily on fake personas of wrestlers.

The ultimate answer is "we'll see". My preference would be for Remus in his USA tanktop with the USA replaced by the Masters logo. Or maybe another Fisto/Clamp Champ homage top.

He'd be a fine choice for a deluxe if they started doing those in the WWE line. One head with sunglasses and hat. One without. Pack in Clamp Champ's weapon as a Cobra Clutcher.

A few of these figures would do well with Deluxe treatment. Battle Armor Hogan with an alt bandana head and damage chestpiece. Alternate head with sunglasses.

Maybe going Deluxe would expand the lifecycle of this line and make Mattel more confident about throwing some classic big names out in single packs.

I doubt it would complicate things. It was widely known in the mid eighties that Sgt Slaughter was a character and that Bob Remus was a civilian who never served. I recall Stars and Stripes and Army Times running hit pieces on him in the late 80s before an appearance at Fort Bragg, and he managed to still draw 10,000 fans at the signing. (He actually signed my Army Times article, which I misplaced over the decades.)

That was at the height of his popularity and it didn't effect his standing with veterans or the military, so the folks trying to cancel him in the Internet age face an uphill battle. (Which knowing is half of.)
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

I doubt it would complicate things. It was widely known in the mid eighties that Sgt Slaughter was a character and that Bob Remus was a civilian who never served. I recall Stars and Stripes and Army Times running hit pieces on him in the late 80s before an appearance at Fort Bragg, and he managed to still draw 10,000 fans at the signing. (He actually signed my Army Times article, which I misplaced over the decades.)

That was at the height of his popularity and it didn't effect his standing with veterans or the military, so the folks trying to cancel him in the Internet age face an uphill battle. (Which knowing is half of.)
    You may be my new BFF, online. It's simply a matter of Mattel, and Hasbro knowing their audience and having the balls to sell to them with out fear of cancel culture snowflakes.
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 2/27/2021

You may be my new BFF, online. It's simply a matter of Mattel, and Hasbro knowing their audience and having the balls to sell to them with out fear of cancel culture snowflakes.
    4twajc.jpg

One can only hope this culture of repression and intolerance fizzles out soon and we can get back to living our lives without condemnation for having the audacity to not care what daily-updated list of socially unacceptable faux pas we may be in transgression of.

4twajc.jpg

One can only hope this culture of repression and intolerance fizzles out soon and we can get back to living our lives without condemnation for having the audacity to not care what daily-updated list of socially unacceptable faux pas we may be in transgression of.

Back at you bro.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm really enjoying putting MOTWWEU and Origins together.

My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 2/27/2021

Found a Seth Rollins in store today. Want Jake and Mr T but I’ll take it
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP

So you’re both veterans?

Quote Originally Posted by oansun View Post
    So you’re both veterans?
    Yes sir, we are.

Widget
    Before this line ends we need Road Warrior Hawk and Road Warrior Animal

Was at a Walmart earlier and they were in the process of a reset. There were new tags for motu wwe.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthRazor View Post
    Before this line ends we need Road Warrior Hawk and Road Warrior Animal
    They already dress that part...

My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 2/27/2021

EC614FE2-BAEF-481A-89DF-5BD2662541A2.jpeg

So uh, these have never been shown yet are on shelves??

Heroic Warrior Grayskull Guardsman's Avatar
    Crazy! I wonder what weapons they come with... have any back of card pics been posted?

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post

Damn you Mattel.... I love these

Heroic Warrior
    Forgot about this line.

These are nice. Each is a good pairing.

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull Guardsman View Post
    Crazy! I wonder what weapons they come with... have any back of card pics been posted?
    This was what some one on another forum posted. These were found in Canada BTW. I'm not up of WWE, like at all, so is there a reason Kane is a robot or cyborg?

My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 2/27/2021

This was what some one on another forum posted. These were found in Canada BTW. I'm not up of WWE, like at all, so is there a reason Kane is a robot or cyborg?

https://i.imgur.com/so1eSlL.jpg
    Looks like a mash up with Roboto. Look at his arms and thighs

https://i.imgur.com/so1eSlL.jpg
    His nickname is “The Big Red Machine” so they played off that with the Roboto theme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He looks like a character that could have escaped with mini-comic Trap-Jaw from his dimension. I dig the look.
    I also love that this female character's helmet can be used with our Origin's Evil-Lyn!
    Clearing out Classics, Super7 and vintage MOTU & PoP figures... check out my threads in the Marketplace for Fisto, Sorceress, BA variants, SDCC exclusives and more!

Quote Originally Posted by mizterfish View Post
    His nickname is “The Big Red Machine” so they played off that with the Roboto theme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cool thanks.
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 2/27/2021