Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast
Results 876 to 900 of 983

Thread: MOTU Origins x WWE Mash-Up Line - Masters of the WWE Universe

  1. #876
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cox's Creek, KY
    Posts
    434
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty.81 View Post
    What about Hasbro and G.I. Joe? Don't they have toy rights to the name SGT Slaughter?
    Nope. Bob Remus was wrestling with the name and gimmick in the early 70s before he signed with WWF or Hasbro so the name and gimmick belong to him. It's up to the contract whether the licensing is exclusive and/or very specific for the whatever time a particular contract covers. Contracts could be drawn up in such a way that the "Sgt. Slaughter" character could be part of the WWE line (which should also allow for a MOTWWEU figure -- he is currently with the WWE Ambassador program), Valaverse and the rumored G.I. Joe Classified line all at the same time.

  2. #877
    Heroic Warrior Smitty.81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX, USA
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Abell View Post
    Nope. Bob Remus was wrestling with the name and gimmick in the early 70s before he signed with WWF or Hasbro so the name and gimmick belong to him. It's up to the contract whether the licensing is exclusive and/or very specific for the whatever time a particular contract covers. Contracts could be drawn up in such a way that the "Sgt. Slaughter" character could be part of the WWE line (which should also allow for a MOTWWEU figure -- he is currently with the WWE Ambassador program), Valaverse and the rumored G.I. Joe Classified line all at the same time.
    That would be nuts.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Like I said before these lines look good together, but they don't seem to get along...

    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 2/27/2021

  3. #878
    Heroic Warrior Ka Rot-Top's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    251
    Haha! Funny pic Smitty! And a cool way to think of the Terror Claws, as a control device. Kind of like exploding collars, but when you want to use your prisoners as battle fodder! "Fight! Or lose your hands!"

  4. #879
    Heroic Warrior Smitty.81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX, USA
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by Ka Rot-Top View Post
    Haha! Funny pic Smitty! And a cool way to think of the Terror Claws, as a control device. Kind of like exploding collars, but when you want to use your prisoners as battle fodder! "Fight! Or lose your hands!"
    Thanks, be sure to check out the link in my sig to get the full story...
    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 2/27/2021

  5. #880
    Heroic Warrior Night Stalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Abell View Post
    Nope. Bob Remus was wrestling with the name and gimmick in the early 70s before he signed with WWF or Hasbro so the name and gimmick belong to him. It's up to the contract whether the licensing is exclusive and/or very specific for the whatever time a particular contract covers. Contracts could be drawn up in such a way that the "Sgt. Slaughter" character could be part of the WWE line (which should also allow for a MOTWWEU figure -- he is currently with the WWE Ambassador program), Valaverse and the rumored G.I. Joe Classified line all at the same time.
    Correct, and in the case of Sgt. Slaughter, it may be even easier since Remus himself is the sole owner, than it was for Rowdy Roddy Piper, whose name and likeness is co-owned by the estate of Piper and Titan Sports/WWE/Vinny Mac. Vince had to sign off when they made the They Live figures. That was a big sticking point as to why Sarge left the WWF originally; Vince claimed he owned the Sgt Slaughter character and wanted a piece of that Hasbro money.

    Like you said, it all falls on whether or not an exclusive contract was signed. Wrestlers don't often go in for exclusive figures because it limits their earning potential, with the nature of the business and the way they jump promotions (though the sandbox is a lot smaller today than it was 20 years ago.)
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

  6. #881
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    635
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    Correct, and in the case of Sgt. Slaughter, it may be even easier since Remus himself is the sole owner, than it was for Rowdy Roddy Piper, whose name and likeness is co-owned by the estate of Piper and Titan Sports/WWE/Vinny Mac. Vince had to sign off when they made the They Live figures. That was a big sticking point as to why Sarge left the WWF originally; Vince claimed he owned the Sgt Slaughter character and wanted a piece of that Hasbro money.

    Like you said, it all falls on whether or not an exclusive contract was signed. Wrestlers don't often go in for exclusive figures because it limits their earning potential, with the nature of the business and the way they jump promotions (though the sandbox is a lot smaller today than it was 20 years ago.)
    The "stolen valor" charges may complicate who wants to sign Remus. Though it should have little bearing on fantasy toy action figures, it may make Hasbro think twice about paying too much for his likeness in a war fantasy line that has a strong backbone of vets in the fandom. Meanwhile, I think there's less that might discourage Mattel in a fantasy wrestler line that trades heavily on fake personas of wrestlers.

    The ultimate answer is "we'll see". My preference would be for Remus in his USA tanktop with the USA replaced by the Masters logo. Or maybe another Fisto/Clamp Champ homage top.

    He'd be a fine choice for a deluxe if they started doing those in the WWE line. One head with sunglasses and hat. One without. Pack in Clamp Champ's weapon as a Cobra Clutcher.

    A few of these figures would do well with Deluxe treatment. Battle Armor Hogan with an alt bandana head and damage chestpiece. Alternate head with sunglasses.

    Maybe going Deluxe would expand the lifecycle of this line and make Mattel more confident about throwing some classic big names out in single packs.

  7. #882
    Heroic Warrior Night Stalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,008
    I doubt it would complicate things. It was widely known in the mid eighties that Sgt Slaughter was a character and that Bob Remus was a civilian who never served. I recall Stars and Stripes and Army Times running hit pieces on him in the late 80s before an appearance at Fort Bragg, and he managed to still draw 10,000 fans at the signing. (He actually signed my Army Times article, which I misplaced over the decades.)

    That was at the height of his popularity and it didn't effect his standing with veterans or the military, so the folks trying to cancel him in the Internet age face an uphill battle. (Which knowing is half of.)
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

  8. #883
    Heroic Warrior Smitty.81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX, USA
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    I doubt it would complicate things. It was widely known in the mid eighties that Sgt Slaughter was a character and that Bob Remus was a civilian who never served. I recall Stars and Stripes and Army Times running hit pieces on him in the late 80s before an appearance at Fort Bragg, and he managed to still draw 10,000 fans at the signing. (He actually signed my Army Times article, which I misplaced over the decades.)

    That was at the height of his popularity and it didn't effect his standing with veterans or the military, so the folks trying to cancel him in the Internet age face an uphill battle. (Which knowing is half of.)
    You may be my new BFF, online. It's simply a matter of Mattel, and Hasbro knowing their audience and having the balls to sell to them with out fear of cancel culture snowflakes.
    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 2/27/2021

  9. #884
    Heroic Warrior Night Stalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty.81 View Post
    You may be my new BFF, online. It's simply a matter of Mattel, and Hasbro knowing their audience and having the balls to sell to them with out fear of cancel culture snowflakes.
    4twajc.jpg

    One can only hope this culture of repression and intolerance fizzles out soon and we can get back to living our lives without condemnation for having the audacity to not care what daily-updated list of socially unacceptable faux pas we may be in transgression of.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

  10. #885
    Heroic Warrior Smitty.81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX, USA
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    4twajc.jpg

    One can only hope this culture of repression and intolerance fizzles out soon and we can get back to living our lives without condemnation for having the audacity to not care what daily-updated list of socially unacceptable faux pas we may be in transgression of.

    Back at you bro.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I'm really enjoying putting MOTWWEU and Origins together.

    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 2/27/2021

  11. #886
    Heroic Warrior Brasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Lake Grove, NY
    Posts
    774
    Found a Seth Rollins in store today. Want Jake and Mr T but I’ll take it
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP

  12. #887
    Anti-Bot oansun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Land of Kentuck
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty.81 View Post
    You may be my new BFF, online. It's simply a matter of Mattel, and Hasbro knowing their audience and having the balls to sell to them with out fear of cancel culture snowflakes.
    So you’re both veterans?

  13. #888
    Heroic Warrior Night Stalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,008
    Quote Originally Posted by oansun View Post
    So you’re both veterans?
    Yes sir, we are.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

  14. #889
    Widget
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    2
    Before this line ends we need Road Warrior Hawk and Road Warrior Animal

  15. #890
    Heroic Warrior Brasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Lake Grove, NY
    Posts
    774
    Was at a Walmart earlier and they were in the process of a reset. There were new tags for motu wwe.
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP

  16. #891
    Heroic Warrior Smitty.81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX, USA
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthRazor View Post
    Before this line ends we need Road Warrior Hawk and Road Warrior Animal
    They already dress that part...

    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 2/27/2021

  17. #892
    Heroic Warrior Durendal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    2,016
    EC614FE2-BAEF-481A-89DF-5BD2662541A2.jpeg

    So uh, these have never been shown yet are on shelves??

  18. #893
    Heroic Warrior Grayskull Guardsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    STL Metro East
    Posts
    1,133
    Crazy! I wonder what weapons they come with... have any back of card pics been posted?

  19. #894
    Heroic Warrior Brasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Lake Grove, NY
    Posts
    774
    Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    EC614FE2-BAEF-481A-89DF-5BD2662541A2.jpeg

    So uh, these have never been shown yet are on shelves??
    Damn you Mattel.... I love these
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP

  20. #895
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Des Moines IA
    Posts
    3,948
    Forgot about this line.

    These are nice. Each is a good pairing.


    Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    EC614FE2-BAEF-481A-89DF-5BD2662541A2.jpeg

    So uh, these have never been shown yet are on shelves??

  21. #896
    Heroic Warrior Smitty.81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX, USA
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull Guardsman View Post
    Crazy! I wonder what weapons they come with... have any back of card pics been posted?
    This was what some one on another forum posted. These were found in Canada BTW. I'm not up of WWE, like at all, so is there a reason Kane is a robot or cyborg?

    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 2/27/2021

  22. #897
    Heroic Warrior Brasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Lake Grove, NY
    Posts
    774
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty.81 View Post
    This was what some one on another forum posted. These were found in Canada BTW. I'm not up of WWE, like at all, so is there a reason Kane is a robot or cyborg?

    https://i.imgur.com/so1eSlL.jpg
    Looks like a mash up with Roboto. Look at his arms and thighs
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP

  23. #898
    Heroic Warrior mizterfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    409
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty.81 View Post
    This was what some one on another forum posted. These were found in Canada BTW. I'm not up of WWE, like at all, so is there a reason Kane is a robot or cyborg?

    https://i.imgur.com/so1eSlL.jpg
    His nickname is “The Big Red Machine” so they played off that with the Roboto theme.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. #899
    Council Elder zodak74's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Point Dread
    Posts
    15,273
    He looks like a character that could have escaped with mini-comic Trap-Jaw from his dimension. I dig the look.
    I also love that this female character's helmet can be used with our Origin's Evil-Lyn!
    Clearing out Classics, Super7 and vintage MOTU & PoP figures... check out my threads in the Marketplace for Fisto, Sorceress, BA variants, SDCC exclusives and more!

  25. #900
    Heroic Warrior Smitty.81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX, USA
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by mizterfish View Post
    His nickname is “The Big Red Machine” so they played off that with the Roboto theme.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cool thanks.
    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 2/27/2021

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •