Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pixel Dan interview at SDCC 2019 with Brian Flynn from Super7 about MOTU & more

Widget
    So no chance now for a vintage-style Filmation Adora, Catra, or the Rebellion...drat. Guess all we can hope for is that the Origins line does well enough that Mattel expands into doing a Filmation line, so lets all clear those shelves so Mattel knows we want more.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Videofox View Post
    So no chance now for a vintage-style Filmation Adora, Catra, or the Rebellion...drat. Guess all we can hope for is that the Origins line does well enough that Mattel expands into doing a Filmation line, so lets all clear those shelves so Mattel knows we want more.
    I mean, technically, those things are She-Ra/POP.

And arguably Vintage POP isn't something being done at mass market retail.

I don't know how that works.

I expect Mattel wants to focus its She-Ra products on the Netflix version.

I expect MOTUO might steer clear of POP stuff although that's a frighteningly broad category since it includes the Horde and, per the SDCC stuff on Netflix She-Ra, all the Snakemen and not just the two who were also Horde. That kind of limits what MOTUO can do by potentially removing 17 or so figures from being candidates for remakes or about 20% of the vintage line. Original vintage didn't have to worry as much about that kind of distinction because they introduced a lot of that stuff before the POP line and there was less expectation that POP toys would focus on battles.

What do you do if MOTUO is a hit? Do you sub in stuff like a retro-ized Fang Man and 200x Evil Seed and Count Marzo and Battle Armor Faker?

Do you let S7 keep making 5.5s of POP property stuff with revised packaging that's vintage POP based?

Do you maybe split the difference and let S7 make Vintage POP stuff on the MOTUO buck?

The big thing as I see it is that new Vintage/Retro POP is probably something Mattel would probably confine to a collector market. MAYBE you could get a Mattel-produced SDCC exclusive MOTUO set next year of Vintage-style Adora/She-Ra or She-Ra and Hordak. But that stuff is going to be walled off for collectors and not sent to kids at retail who might be confused by it.

Unless you go the even weirder route of doing a 5.5 MOTUO line using Netflix designs so you'd have, say, a retool of MOTUO Teela in Netflix She-Ra's costume but with adult female proportions and a Hordak that's a hybrid of vintage and Netflix.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Videofox View Post
    I was fine with continuing the vintage line with Super 7 in the same scale and style. This new Mattel line does nothing for me. Also I have no desire to restart yet another line. I wasnít happy with Super 7 redoing so many of the vintage characters only in Filmation style but at least we got a few new vintage style characters out of it. But I donít need yet another Beastman, Teela or Skeletor. Iím not in for wanting more because I donít even want these lol.