Thread: Help with a MOTUC buck problem

Help with a MOTUC buck problem

I am at my wits end doing a very basic task: heat and pop on MOTUC parts!!

I disassembled a He-Ro II and painted it up with intent to reassemble. But for the life of me, the thighs will NOT go back onto the hip pegs. I have done heat-n-pop until my hands were blistered. I have taken my dremel to the hip pegs to clean off the paint residue. I have taken a rotary bit and tried to clean out the thigh sockets to make sure residue didn't get in there either. But nothing works!

Every time I take my heat gun to the thigh and attempt to pop the peg into the socket, it refuses to go in. The peg compresses and sticks for a moment, but then pushes the thigh piece right back off. I have been stuck at this step for 2 weeks and it just makes no sense, because these are the very same parts that were assembled prior to painting.

How's the condition of He-Ro II? Do show us his photo, Palidor.
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Palidor View Post
    I am at my wits end doing a very basic task: heat and pop on MOTUC parts!!

I disassembled a He-Ro II and painted it up with intent to reassemble. But for the life of me, the thighs will NOT go back onto the hip pegs. I have done heat-n-pop until my hands were blistered. I have taken my dremel to the hip pegs to clean off the paint residue. I have taken a rotary bit and tried to clean out the thigh sockets to make sure residue didn't get in there either. But nothing works!

Every time I take my heat gun to the thigh and attempt to pop the peg into the socket, it refuses to go in. The peg compresses and sticks for a moment, but then pushes the thigh piece right back off. I have been stuck at this step for 2 weeks and it just makes no sense, because these are the very same parts that were assembled prior to painting.
    Are you heating the thigh up or the hip joint? Sounds like you are heating the hip joint, also, use hot water. A heat source like hair dryer or heat gun will make paint gummy. No idea how your paint ain't scraping off lol. I decided to try out that hair dryer trick over my normal water to get a painted loin cloth back on. The hair dryer ruined my paint lol. I laugh now, but believe me I wasn't at the time. I went back to my old water ways. What kind of paint are you using anyway?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Heroic Warrior
    Also, a heat source like that could release harmful chemicals from the plastic, water will not.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in. I haven't had the time to sit down and try this again. Yes, my paint rubbed off on my tries using the heat gun. It's a mess. The frustrating thing is, I've been doing this method for years now and haven't had this issue. I can only speculate that it's due to a new location I moved into and the extreme weather along with it. But maybe that's reaching.

Anyway, to those who suggested the hot water method, just how hot are we talking? I sanded and re=painted the parts where the paint got screwed up and they'll be curing for a day or two just in case.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in. I haven't had the time to sit down and try this again. Yes, my paint rubbed off on my tries using the heat gun. It's a mess. The frustrating thing is, I've been doing this method for years now and haven't had this issue. I can only speculate that it's due to a new location I moved into and the extreme weather along with it. But maybe that's reaching.

Anyway, to those who suggested the hot water method, just how hot are we talking? I sanded and re=painted the parts where the paint got screwed up and they'll be curing for a day or two just in case.

Heroic Warrior
    I microwave water for 2 minutes. Plop it in for like 20 30 seconds. Not sure what paint you're using. If you are using cheap americana or apple barrel, I'd imagine the water will ruin that crap. But testors acrylic can hold up. Testers can not hold up to a heat gun. A heat gun is overkill if you ask me, I use heat guns in my line of work, them things destroy lol. If anything I'd go for a hair dryer, but personally hot water is the safest and my go too everytime.

Thanks for the clarification. I only use Citadel, testors, and Tamiya paint and I do lots of thin, smooth coats. Like I said, using a heat gun, I've learned how not to have the paint melt or the plastic warp. It was the force from my hands as I tried to reassamble everything that caused the paint damage. I'm just hoping having my painted parts sitting in hot water won't repeat the damage.

Reassembly finally complete. Thank you to everyone who took the time to help me.

Heroic Warrior
    Post pics. Some of us here love seeing customs. Just wish there were more who enjoyed them.

I will be sure to post pics, but I require more parts. Basically, I am making a custom Slamurai from the extra parts, ad I needed a good base body. The official Slamurai from Powercon will be called Whiteout, and will basically be Slamurai's white shadow counterpart, kinda like Noob/Smoke in Mortal Kombat.

Heroic Warrior
    I will be sure to post pics, but I require more parts. Basically, I am making a custom Slamurai from the extra parts, ad I needed a good base body. The official Slamurai from Powercon will be called Whiteout, and will basically be Slamurai's white shadow counterpart, kinda like Noob/Smoke in Mortal Kombat.
    Sounds awesome