Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Witcher Netflix series

The Witcher Netflix series

Anyone interested in this series?

The trailer looks pretty epic... and it seems to be based on both the books and the games.

Also, Henry Cavill looks great as Geralt!

I'm pretty excited for this!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

This and Dark Crystal Age of Resistance look fantastic as they will fill my Sci-fi/fantasy geekdom needs now that Game of Thrones ended.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Looks promising for us fantasy/ sci fi fans. Sure It will be not GOT 2.0, nothing will repeat tha success but could be entertaining enough. Shame for the Marvel Defenders being cancelled, now between this and Dark Crystal, I know why I have to sub Netflix

and what about Cavill next? Really hoped for more MOS in the DCEU, if Ezra Miller still contracted to the Flash and Ray Fisher in talks for a Cyborg Movie well, that was hopeful. But I'm afraid the Justice League franchise will go on hold for a while (except for the great Invasion) and everything will be rebooted. Gal Gadot I predict will do a billion with 84 then finish a trilogy of its own. The Batman Franchise already scratching from new, so yeah I guess Supes will not smash the big screen for years and if it will, then reboot everything, a black superman, time is right perhaps?
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "Good Journey!"
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "The Power of Grayskull Awakens......"
    "Let the Power Returns....!"

Yeah, I haven't seen one minute of the HBO GoT series... I refuse to watch it until Martin finally releases the final book(s) and I can read it with the characters as I imagine them in my head...

The Witcher, on the other hand, looks fantastic... and I wasn't as enthralled with the first Witcher book - as a matter of fact, I never read past it. But I'll be darn sure to watch this series, especially because CD Projekt Red is very picky about this particular franchise... so I'm looking forward to good things.

A possible release date was leaked earlier today for the Witcher series.

If an accidental tweet can be trusted, it looks as if the show will drop on December 19th. I was really hoping for a November date (as originally projected) just because mid-December is such a busy time of year.

Anyway, here are the main players in the show thus far:

Geralt of Rivia and his trusted steed, Roach

Yennefer of Vengerberg

And Cirilla Fiona Elen Riannon (better known as Ciri)

Of course, the show is based on the books, not the games - so these characters look incredibly close to their in-book descriptions.

I can't wait for this show to drop!

Finally we have a solid release date!!! Oh, and a swell new trailer!

December 20th people... mark your calendars!!

Looking good!

I know NOTHING about The Witcher, but I thought about watching it based on Henry Cavill being cast. I have watched some videos recently on You Tube though that give me pause. I will have to wait to see what people say before I pull the trigger on starting Netflix back up. I just hope the rumors are not true. It is getting to the point where there is nothing to watch anymore, so I am just watching old media if I watch anything at all.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    It is getting to the point where there is nothing to watch anymore, so I am just watching old media if I watch anything at all.
    I'd say there's way too much good content. We live in a golden age of TV.
    I'll be watching the Witcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris85 View Post
    I'd say there's way too much good content. We live in a golden age of TV.
    I'll be watching the Witcher.
    I guess it depends on your definition of good content - LOL!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

I know NOTHING about The Witcher, but I thought about watching it based on Henry Cavill being cast. I have watched some videos recently on You Tube though that give me pause. I will have to wait to see what people say before I pull the trigger on starting Netflix back up. I just hope the rumors are not true. It is getting to the point where there is nothing to watch anymore, so I am just watching old media if I watch anything at all.
    The producers have made some questionable decisions as far as casting goes... but, for the most part the main cast looks faithful to the way they're described in the books.

Many people are trying to make comparisons to the video games, and to be fair, a lot of what I've seen and read sounds like it was lifted from the 2nd and 3rd games - but the majority of content comes directly from the novels.

If you are curious about the world of the Witcher, I'd suggest picking up the first book titled "The Last Wish" which is a collection of short stories based around the adventures of Geralt (the main character).

I flat out refuse to watch Game of Thrones because HBO butchered it beyond recognition and the books are very dear to me. So I am not taking anything for granted... but, I am looking forward to the Witcher and I honestly believe that it will stay true to the books, the characters, and the world in which they live.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    The producers have made some questionable decisions as far as casting goes... but, for the most part the main cast looks faithful to the way they're described in the books.

Many people are trying to make comparisons to the video games, and to be fair, a lot of what I've seen and read sounds like it was lifted from the 2nd and 3rd games - but the majority of content comes directly from the novels.

If you are curious about the world of the Witcher, I'd suggest picking up the first book titled "The Last Wish" which is a collection of short stories based around the adventures of Geralt (the main character).

I flat out refuse to watch Game of Thrones because HBO butchered it beyond recognition and the books are very dear to me. So I am not taking anything for granted... but, I am looking forward to the Witcher and I honestly believe that it will stay true to the books, the characters, and the world in which they live.
    I will have to check that out. I prefer books to most media these days any way and I am always looking for something new to read

How far back do the books go? Were they novels or graphic novels? Only reason I ask it the main character looks awesome but a bit of a rip off of Elric of Melnibone.

They said they will never use materials from the games, only from the books.

Sooooooo.... on December 20th, watch this instead of Star Wars?
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

I don't know why I could see Evanna Lynch as Ciri. But I can't wait for this Rated Witcher game.

NOT QUITE MY TEMPO

Quote Originally Posted by MJOLNIR View Post
    How far back do the books go? Were they novels or graphic novels? Only reason I ask it the main character looks awesome but a bit of a rip off of Elric of Melnibone.
    The first two books are a collection of short stories and were first published in Poland in 1986, while the remaining six books are full-fledged novels and part of a pentalogy; all authored by Andrzej Sapkowski.

Elric of Melnibone was first introduced in the 60's, and does share a remarkable resemblance to Geralt. Although he has never stated it, I wouldn't be surprised if Sapkowski drew some inspiration from Michael Moorcock's works.

Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    Sooooooo.... on December 20th, watch this instead of Star Wars?

Heck yeah!!!

Disney Star Wars has got NOTHING on the Witcher!!

The first two books are a collection of short stories and were first published in Poland in 1986, while the remaining six books are full-fledged novels and part of a pentalogy; all authored by Andrzej Sapkowski.

Elric of Melnibone was first introduced in the 60's, and does share a remarkable resemblance to Geralt. Although he has never stated it, I wouldn't be surprised if Sapkowski drew some inspiration from Michael Moorcock's works.

Heck yeah!!!

Disney Star Wars has got NOTHING on the Witcher!!
    Thanks for bringing me up to speed Ornclown. I’m familiar with Moorcock’s work but not this. I do enjoy me some dark fantasy so I’ll be happy to give season 1 a go.

And count me in for this over Disney Star War as well. Witcher, Fragilrock. A-Team reruns, Price is Right, just about anything really.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chris85 View Post
    They said they will never use materials from the games, only from the books.
    I’m not familiar with either so please take this for what it’s worth, I watched a review of the trailer and the guy doing the reaction mentioned that something Cahill’s character did was from the game, he seemed pleased. It was some sort of Force push type off hand attack. This power may be in the books as well but maybe the specific gesture was mimicked from the game? Anyway the person doing the review seemed more of a gamer than reader. Hope this is encouraging to game fans.

Dare I say it, at least in a visual sense, I think it looks very bland.

You couldn't pay me to watch the new Star Wars, Disney Star Wars is dead to me.

I hate Disney Star Wars movies although The Mandalorian looks interesting.

Wait, I am lying. If they send a limo with CHRIS PRATT in it to come pick me up, then and only then would I be willing to go see Star Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Dare I say it, at least in a visual sense, I think it looks very bland.
    The Northern Kingdoms (setting for most of the Witcher books) are a war-torn set of city-states that are attempting to rebuild after various bloody wars. There are beautifully described cities and towns interspersed throughout the books, but the majority of action takes place in a politically heated climate. Think of Berlin, Belfast, Glasgow etc. pre- and post war.

Wait, I am lying. If they send a limo with CHRIS PRATT in it to come pick me up, then and only then would I be willing to go see Star Wars.
    Me too!!

You couldn't pay me to watch the new Star Wars, Disney Star Wars is dead to me.
    Seconded. Apparently someone social media commented that they bought 32 tickets, Mark Hamill commented to just wait for cable tv. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    I hate Disney Star Wars movies although The Mandalorian looks interesting.
    Agreed, but I do not expect this series to pull me back not the SAGA.

I'll take Karen Gillan, as Nebula or otherwise. Most beautiful woman in Hollywood.

- - - Updated - - -

The Northern Kingdoms (setting for most of the Witcher books) are a war-torn set of city-states that are attempting to rebuild after various bloody wars. There are beautifully described cities and towns interspersed throughout the books, but the majority of action takes place in a politically heated climate. Think of Berlin, Belfast, Glasgow etc. pre- and post war.

Me too!!
    Ornclown, is the Witcher set on Earth or a fantasy planet?

Quote Originally Posted by MJOLNIR View Post
    Ornclown, is the Witcher set on Earth or a fantasy planet?
    The Witcher series takes place on a fictional planet typically referred to as the World.

It was more of a medieval / middle-ages type of setting, where Dwarven and Elven kind lived along side one another, before the "Conjunction of the Spheres" took place. This was a cataclysmic event in which dimensions were crossed and magic and 'monsters' were brought into the World... including human beings.

It didn't take long for humans to do what they do best and conquer that which is different from them through acts of war and mass-population. Elves and Dwarves are now considered lesser-beings and are commonly lynched, blamed, and mistreated throughout the World.

With the introduction of magic and monsters (vampires, trolls, werewolves, ghouls, wraiths, etc..) the World now resembles a cross between Middle-Earth and Westeros (from a Song of Ice and Fire).

The Witcher series takes place on a fictional planet typically referred to as the World.

It was more of a medieval / middle-ages type of setting, where Dwarven and Elven kind lived along side one another, before the "Conjunction of the Spheres" took place. This was a cataclysmic event in which dimensions were crossed and magic and 'monsters' were brought into the World... including human beings.

It didn't take long for humans to do what they do best and conquer that which is different from them through acts of war and mass-population. Elves and Dwarves are now considered lesser-beings and are commonly lynched, blamed, and mistreated throughout the World.

With the introduction of magic and monsters (vampires, trolls, werewolves, ghouls, wraiths, etc..) the World now resembles a cross between Middle-Earth and Westeros (from a Song of Ice and Fire).
    Cheers, thank you. Appreciate the cliffs notes.