Thread: Dinosaur action figures

Dinosaur action figures

Hi everyone, just wondering if someone is able to recommend any dinosaur action figures?

Specifically, I am looking for something that has the following features:

- Good articulation (do not need toe articulation, but at least hips, knees, head and tail)
    - Decent size and fits "ok" with 6 inch scale
    - Attempts to have realistic texture and sculpting
    - No "fantasy" style "dinosaurs" (e.g. dragons)

I have looked at Geoworld and CollectA brands, they don't have what I'm looking for (especially with regards to articulation). Also checked out Schleich, but figures have little (if any) articulation. Size is also not suitable.

Jurassic World Dual Attack dinos looks okay, but I am after something a little bigger and a little less common - Ankylosaurus, Stegosaurus, or Triceratops (i.e. not just another T-Rex).

Any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks!

The only one I could think of I really the Colossal Rex for Jurassic world by Mattel. Their brachiosaurus coming soon might be “close enough.”
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Beasts Of The Mesozoic have an upcoming Tricerotops kickstarter, they at least will have good articulation, whether they would scale with what you want though I'm not sure but I think will be worth keeping an eye on.

Unmotivated webcomicker KidTDragon's Avatar
    I'll second Beasts of the Mesozoic. I don't own any but I've seen lots of pics; they're very detailed and articulated. Probably some of the most accurate dino toys you could ask for at the moment. They're all raptors right now but they're planning to run the trike Kickstarter that felgekarp mentioned in September.
    Track your MotU collection at shmax.com!

Almost Comics: Occasionally updated. Occasionally funny.

XBL Gamertag: KidTDragon
    PSN User ID: KidTDragon
    Nintendo Network ID: KidTDragon
    Steam: KidTDragon

Wow! Thank you for the suggestions all.

I knew about Beasts of the Mesozoic but didn't know they were looking at doing Ceratopsians next! Will definitely be keeping an eye out for this one.

He-Bro - you have some very interesting ideas man! Your Imaginext video reminds me of the Takara Tomy ANIA dinosaurs - the small ones are good for background dinos too. And now I will probably be looking at the local shops for an Indoraptor, hahah.

Not really helpful but every time I think about 'dinosaur toys" I start to imagine the unproduced Dinosaucers figures on my shelf. Only prototypes exist.
    "I feel the best when I can't remember anything."

I don't have new suggestions - Jurassic World figures from Mattel - especially the Colossal T-Rex and Indoraptor are great. There is an upcoming Velociraptor "Blue" - coming that is scaled to 6" figures (same size as Indo I believe). Another one that is great is the Mosasaur - again, not strictly 6" scale but works well with them - I have my Mer-Man riding one in my display.
    mososaur.jpg

And while not strictly a dinoasuar, the Rampage Big City Brawl Lizzie figure also works well (pictured here with a 3.75 inch figure)
    Lizzie.jpg

Finally, the Star Wars Black Dewback, is also a good choice for dino-adjacent figures in the 6" scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikor1982 View Post
    Not really helpful but every time I think about 'dinosaur toys" I start to imagine the unproduced Dinosaucers figures on my shelf. Only prototypes exist.
    I remember that cartoon! Always felt 80s and early 90s had some of the best cartoons.

Quote Originally Posted by PantherCult View Post
    I don't have new suggestions - Jurassic World figures from Mattel - especially the Colossal T-Rex and Indoraptor are great. There is an upcoming Velociraptor "Blue" - coming that is scaled to 6" figures (same size as Indo I believe). Another one that is great is the Mosasaur - again, not strictly 6" scale but works well with them - I have my Mer-Man riding one in my display.
    mososaur.jpg

And while not strictly a dinoasuar, the Rampage Big City Brawl Lizzie figure also works well (pictured here with a 3.75 inch figure)
    Lizzie.jpg

Finally, the Star Wars Black Dewback, is also a good choice for dino-adjacent figures in the 6" scale.
    That Rampage beast looks pretty sweet, how's the articulation?

I saw that BBTS is having a sale on the Sandtrooper with the Dewback, but the beast looks too gentle and not savage enough. LOL

Master of New Adventures!
    Agreed. It was an amazing time. I was blessed to have been a part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvart View Post
    I remember that cartoon! Always felt 80s and early 90s had some of the best cartoons.

I saw that BBTS is having a sale on the Sandtrooper with the Dewback, but the beast looks too gentle and not savage enough. LOL

Articulation is limited. There are cut joints for the legs and articulation in the lower jaw, but not much more.

The Dewback painted to look like a Gila Monster is amazing though

Quote Originally Posted by PantherCult View Post
    Articulation is limited. There are cut joints for the legs and articulation in the lower jaw, but not much more.

Thanks for that. I might hold off and wait for the Triceratops from Beasts of the Mesozoic line.

The Dewback painted to look like a Gila Monster is amazing though
    The word "monster" got me excited, then I looked up the animal and it seems tiny. I suppose we could just say it's a mutated variant.

The word "monster" got me excited, then I looked up the animal and it seems tiny. I suppose we could just say it's a mutated variant.
    Hey Giant Gila Monsters are a real thing...
    Toys, Movies, TV Shows and more reviewed at the pop culture mega site... INFINITE HOLLYWOOD.

Quote Originally Posted by felgekarp View Post
    Beasts Of The Mesozoic have an upcoming Tricerotops kickstarter, they at least will have good articulation, whether they would scale with what you want though I'm not sure but I think will be worth keeping an eye on.

video doesn't seem to be starting on the time stamp 7:30 mark
    Gives a good comparison to what I would consider the major Six inch scale.

I will say they have always caught my eye.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Master of New Adventures!
    Does Pixel Dan rock or does Pixel Dan rock? Not only are his reviews informational, but because of his passionate delivery they are also entertaining as all get out.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    https://youtu.be/35k8VG99m_Q?t=449

video doesn't seem to be starting on the time stamp 7:30 mark
    Gives a good comparison to what I would consider the major Six inch scale.

I will say they have always caught my eye.

There were pictures posted today on Twitter of one of the Beasts of the Mesozoic Ceratopsians next to a SWB 6" Ahsoka Tana and the SWB Dewback - it looks to be roughly the same size as the Dewback. There will be Ceratopsians of various sizes in their Kickstarter. They look awesome.

raptors have become too mainstream for me at this point so I was like eeeh. Loved as a kid but yeah.
    But dude

EA6EAOWXoAArLQ1.jpg

https://twitter.com/beast_sculptkit?lang=en

Have always loved Ceratopsians also. Must get at least one of these bad boys.
    Last edited by wyldman11; August 1, 2019 at 07:17pm.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

The kickstarter is live

trying to decide if I want zunicertaops or triceratops.

The kickstarter is live

I read the artwork is being done by Ezra Tucker one of the artists that worked on the Dino-Riders package art work.

Thank you for the reminder!

Hmmm ... I see 1/18 scale, and 1/6 scale as a stretch goal. Why no love for 1/12 scale?

The kickstarter is live

Thank you for the reminder!

Hmmm ... I see 1/18 scale, and 1/6 scale as a stretch goal. Why no love for 1/12 scale?
    Well at first I mixed up the Zuni with the Alberto. Since both were posed with Ahsoka figures, the Zuni with a 3 3/4 inch ahsoka, the one on twitter being the Alberto with the 6 inch Ahsoka.

Zuni is listed as being 8.5 inches long

Albertor is listed in wave 3 and is 14 inches long. My feeling is wave 3 is the 6inch scale but needs 360k to unlock the first one, and we are currently only at 178k.

Super happy with how the Styracosaurus and Psittacosaurus look so far (and all the others, but especially those two).
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Well at first I mixed up the Zuni with the Alberto. Since both were posed with Ahsoka figures, the Zuni with a 3 3/4 inch ahsoka, the one on twitter being the Alberto with the 6 inch Ahsoka.

Zuni is listed as being 8.5 inches long

Albertor is listed in wave 3 and is 14 inches long. My feeling is wave 3 is the 6inch scale but needs 360k to unlock the first one, and we are currently only at 178k.
    I ended up backing it still, because 1:18 scale is still a decent size and would look good next to MOTU figures. But I am really hoping the adult Triceratops will be unlocked.

Up to 212k (well just shy), but Big bad toy store and other online retailers more than likely haven't not done their backing yet but they may or may not be a big shift as it's based on how well the backing goes.

But yeah, that was more or less my thinking. With this breed of dinosaur it will look a little awkward to be a scale lower but not like as out of place as some other breeds.