Thread: Episode 22: "Huntara" (SPOILERS!)

Episode 22: "Huntara" (SPOILERS!)

This thread is for the second episode of season 3 entitled "Huntara."

Please feel free to discuss anything before and including the episode.

I liked Huntara quite a bit, but the interactions between Entrapta and Hordak sold the episode for me. (And yes, it was also funny to watch Imp actually chide Hordak to show some appreciation for the new suit.)
    I am Imp's number one fan.

This was one of my favorites. Huntara was great and Entrapta brilliant. The whole horde against rebels plot is turning more and more interesting, because neither are real army. Horde is just something Hordak has created to imitate Horde imperium and this makes hordak more interesting character than all previous versions of this ruthless leader. This was awesome.
    Will do commissions for loose 200X Evillyn or Roboto. Guarantee: if not happy with pic, no need to send fig!

▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    I am a little disappointed she is no longer a bounty hunter from Silaxia.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    Me too, a little disappointed but I'm cool with her being ostensibly a very buff Night Elf.
    A fabulous new wardrobe was revealed to me the day I held aloft my sword and said...

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    She is (kind of) a bounty hunter, isn't she? Or one might reasonably assume that as the "job" of those living in the Crimson Waste, since what else could a bunch of outcasts and outlaws be doing in order to "earn a living"? The Crimson Waste are badlands, where almost nothing grows; so they must be getting a lot of stuff from the outside (clothes, food, furniture, weapons, vehicles, etc.), and the best/only way (apart from raiding/looting) to get access to that, for this kind of people, must be through trading/selling their services as mercenaries and bounty hunters.

Also, it is never stated where Huntara is from, other than that she once was trained as a Horde soldier. But we know many Horde soldiers on Etheria are kidnapped children taken from somewhere else. So it could be that she was taken from an Etherian kingdom/country/tribe/nation that originally (before the Despondos thing) came from Silax.

I mean, so far we know next to nothing about how Etheria was actually populated, other than Bow's episode 1 statement that the First Ones were apparently "the original settlers of Etheria" (which could very well be wrong or inaccurate, since he was speaking from hearsay/myths about people and events that happened well over a thousand years ago, so a lot of Chinese whispering and distortion/exaggeration/mythmaking must surely have taken place in-between), and other than Mara's episode 23 statement that they were "the first ones to settle Etheria to really study this planet's magic". But note that the latter could be parsed to mean that they were "the first ones to settle with the intention of studying this planet's magic" (because previous colonizers didn't seem that interested in magic, or because the native inhabitants didn't seem to find anything particularly curious to be studied about their own planet's magicness, because, well, such kind of magic had always been there all around for them since the beginning); rather than parsed as meaning "the first ones to settle, period" (because they found a previously uninhabited planet that could be colonized and that also seemed interesting to be studied because of something weird to do with its magicness).

So we can start to speculate about where all the racial and sapient-species diversity of Etheria actually came from. So far we've already seen normal humans of different races, blue-skinned human-likes, purple-skinned human-likes, catfolk, deerfolk, "hordefolk", as well as several kinds of amphibian and reptilian "folks"—which is far more than the reasonable quota of sapient species that a single life-capable planet can natively produce during its whole planetary lifetime.

Besides, how come that a human like Adora is a First One (which establishes that humans are the First Ones, or that the First Ones are humans), but then apparently other humans on the planet (such as Bow, Frosta, Mermista, and Perfuma) are not "like" the First Ones, even though they look in every way indistinguishable—species-wise—from a human/First One like Adora? Here I should add that, even if convergent evolution could have evolved two totally unrelated species to look overall similar in their bodyplan, etc., there would still be noticeable telltale signs that they are, in fact, of very different origin and not the same species. It's impossible (a complete fantasy) for unrelated species to become indistinguishably look-alike through convergent evolution. Which means that either Adora must have something uncannily un-human to her (but so far we've seen nothing like that: she looks and behaves exactly like an Earth human, in every single way), or the other human-looking ones on Etheria do (even though they, too, look and behave exactly like an Earth human in every single way, except for Angella and Glimmer). Or else, that both Adora and the rest are truly of the same human species, which would mean they are all descended from people of the same species as the First Ones, and therefore Light Hope's statement that the Sword was made by the First Ones so that it would only respond to one "of their own kind" does not refer to just being a member of the human species, but to something more specific... such as the bloodline, which then would mean that Adora and Mara are bloodline relatives (inferrably, both descendants of King Grayskull) and that it is belonging to the bloodline of Grayskull (rather than mere humanness) what makes one a "First One" eligible to be granted connection with the Sword.

OTOH, NuPoP Huntara has been given pointy ears. This fits nicely with my fanon theory that Silaxians could be a hybrid between Trollans and dark-skinned humans (note Huntara in its original design was a black woman, rather than purple-skinned). Natural hybridization is impossible except between very closely related species (such as between big cats, or between horses and donkeys, and the like), and therefore such kind of hybridization between alien species must necessarily have been the result of artificial genetic engineering, by introducing Trollan genes into human DNA (the result looks overall more human-like than Trollan, so the base DNA must have been human), and then these hybrids would have been seeded onto Silax in order to populate that planet (which for whatever reason was previously unpopulated). Gars for their part could be a hybrid of Trollans with non-dark-skinned humans (preferrably, Mongoloid humans, as a nod to the Oriental theme of Anwat Gat in 200X), and the greater affinity for magic that Gars seem to possess with respect to humans would be a consequence of their hybrid Trollan genes (Trollans having the highest natural affinity for magic, which one might explain in mundane terms with something akin to the midi-chlorian count that determines the affinity for the Force in Star Wars—the Force being the equivalent of magic in that fictional universe). Note that the purplishness of Silaxian skin would be the natural result of combining the high melanine in human dark skin with whatever it is that gives Trollans the bluishness to their skin (a shade of purple is what you get if you mix brown with blue); the white hair could then be the result of some combination of genes in the hybridization having a neutralizing or albino effect on the production of melanine in hair (as opposed to skin). And then the Twiggets could have originated as dwarf/pygmy Silaxians (note they, too, have purplish skin and white hair, and overall look like a smaller version of a Silaxian). Then, the presence of Silaxians/Twiggets on Etheria could be explained as part of the wide array of species that was introduced to the Etherian planet when it was colonized (Gars would have been among the species introduced to Etheria too, as Shadow Weaver has been given blue skin and pointy ears and has a heightened affinity for magic, making her a prime candidate to be a Gar).
    Last edited by uaxuctum; August 9, 2019 at 06:34pm.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    She is (kind of) a bounty hunter, isn't she? Or one might reasonably assume that as the "job" of those living in the Crimson Waste, since what else could a bunch of outcasts and outlaws be doing in order to "earn a living"? The Crimson Waste are badlands, where almost nothing grows; so they must be getting a lot of stuff from the outside (clothes, food, furniture, weapons, vehicles, etc.), and the best/only way (apart from raiding/looting) to get access to that, for this kind of people, must be through trading/selling their services as mercenaries and bounty hunters.

Also, it is never stated where Huntara is from, other than that she once was trained as a Horde soldier. But we know many Horde soldiers on Etheria are kidnapped children taken from somewhere else. So it could be that she was taken from an Etherian kingdom/country/tribe/nation that originally (before the Despondos thing) came from Silax.

I mean, so far we know next to nothing about how Etheria was actually populated, other than Bow's episode 1 statement that the First Ones were apparently "the original settlers of Etheria" (which could very well be wrong or inaccurate, since he was speaking from hearsay/myths about people and events that happened well over a thousand years ago, so a lot of Chinese whispering and distortion/exaggeration/mythmaking must surely have taken place in-between), and other than Mara's episode 23 statement that they were "the first ones to come to Etheria to really study this planet's magic". But note that the latter could be parsed to mean that they were "the first ones to come with the intention of studying this planet's magic" (because previous colonizers didn't seem that interested in magic, or because the native inhabitants didn't seem to find anything particularly curious to be studied about their own planet's magicness, because, well, such kind of magic had always been there all around for them since the beginning); rather than parsed as meaning "the first ones to come, period" (because they found a previously uninhabited planet that could be colonized and that also seemed interesting to be studied because of something weird to do with its magicness).

So we can start to speculate about where all the racial and sapient-species diversity of Etheria actually came from. So far we've already seen normal humans of different races, blue-skinned human-likes, purple-skinned human-likes, catfolk, deerfolk, "hordefolk", as well as several kinds of amphibian and reptilian "folks"—which is far more than the reasonable quota of sapient species that a single life-capable planet can natively produce during its whole planetary lifetime.

Besides, how come that a human like Adora is a First One (which establishes that humans are the First Ones, or that the First Ones are humans), but then apparently other humans on the planet (such as Bow, Frosta, Mermista, and Perfuma) are not "like" the First Ones, even though they look in every way indistinguishable—species-wise—from a human/First One like Adora? Here I should add that, even if convergent evolution could have evolved two totally unrelated species to look overall similar in their bodyplan, etc., there would still be noticeable telltale signs that they are, in fact, of very different origin and not the same species. It's impossible (a complete fantasy) for unrelated species to become indistinguishably look-alike through convergent evolution. Which means that either Adora must have something uncannily un-human to her (but so far we've seen nothing like that: she looks and behaves exactly like an Earth human, in every single way), or the other human-looking ones on Etheria do (even though they, too, look and behave exactly like an Earth human in every single way, except for Angella and Glimmer). Or else, that both Adora and the rest are truly of the same human species, which would mean they are all descended from people of the same species as the First Ones, and therefore Light Hope's statement that the Sword was made by the First Ones so that it would only respond to one "of their own kind" does not refer to just being a member of the human species, but to something more specific... such as the bloodline, which then would mean that Adora and Mara are bloodline relatives (inferrably, both descendants of King Grayskull) and that it is belonging to the bloodline of Grayskull (rather than mere humanness) what makes one a "First One" eligible to be granted connection with the Sword.

OTOH, NuPoP Huntara has been given pointy ears. This fits nicely with my fanon theory that Silaxians could be a hybrid between Trollans and dark-skinned humans (note Huntara in its original design was a black woman, rather than purple-skinned). Natural hybridization is impossible except between very closely related species (such as between big cats, or between horses and donkeys, and the like), and therefore such kind of hybridization between alien species must necessarily have been the result of artificial genetic engineering, by introducing Trollan genes into human DNA (the result looks overall more human-like than Trollan, so the base DNA must have been human), and then these hybrids would have been seeded onto Silax in order to populate that planet (which for whatever reason was previously unpopulated). Gars for their part could be a hybrid of Trollans with non-dark-skinned humans (preferrably, Mongoloid humans, as a nod to the Oriental theme of Anwat Gat in 200X), and the greater affinity for magic that Gars seem to possess with respect to humans would be a consequence of their hybrid Trollan genes (Trollans having the highest natural affinity for magic, which one might explain in mundane terms with something akin to the midi-chlorian count that determines the affinity for the Force in Star Wars—the Force being the equivalent of magic in that fictional universe). Note that the purplishness of Silaxian skin would be the natural result of combining the high melanine in human dark skin with whatever it is that gives Trollans the bluishness to their skin (a shade of purple is what you get if you mix brown with blue); the white hair could then be the result of some combination of genes in the hybridization having a neutralizing or albino effect on the production of melanine in hair (as opposed to skin). And then the Twiggets could have originated as dwarf/pygmy Silaxians (note they, too, have purplish skin and white hair, and overall look like a smaller version of a Silaxian). Then, the presence of Silaxians/Twiggets on Etheria could be explained as part of the wide array of species that was introduced to the Etherian planet when it was colonized (Gars would have been among the species introduced to Etheria too, as Shadow Weaver has been given blue skin and pointy ears and has a heightened affinity for magic, making her a prime candidate to be a Gar).
    Well let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. This season we saw the Crimson Wastes, but it seems they're setting up Beast Island for either the next season or the next one. That might be where the more beastly Etherians live.

Heroic Warrior
    Does anybody else think Geena Davis' vocal performance as Huntara makes her sound like a dead ringer for Sela Ward?

▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    I was hoping for more of a Grace Jones imitation.

Ha, I just noticed. The jewel on Hordak's neck in his new exoskeleton. Entrapta inscribed it with First Ones runes.

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    Ha, I just noticed. The jewel on Hordak's neck in his new exoskeleton. Entrapta inscribed it with First Ones runes.
    Isn't that actually the data crystal that Catra stole from the Crystal Castle in episode 11 in order to provide Entrapta with an undamaged one that she could study? I thought it looked just like it.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    Isn't that actually the data crystal that Catra stole from the Crystal Castle in episode 11 in order to provide Entrapta with an undamaged one that she could study? I thought it looked just like it.
    If it is, than for some reason someone scratched a phonetic "loved" on it.