Thread: Episode 23: "Once Upon A Time In The Waste" (SPOILERS!)

Episode 23: "Once Upon A Time In The Waste" (SPOILERS!)

This thread is for the third episode of season 3 entitled"Once Upon A Time In The Waste."

Please feel free to discuss anything before and including the episode.

I thought Tung Lashor was defeated too quickly. I would have also like to have seen him use his tongue. He seems a bit of a waste of a rare MOTU character appearance if that ends up being his only showing.

What was the point of bringing in Tongue Lasher ? He did not use his super power and I think kitty murdered him ?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    What was the point of bringing in Tongue Lasher ? He did not use his super power and I think kitty murdered him ?
    The last scene had him wading in the quicksand/mud pit. Didn't look like he was drowning to death. I reckon one of his buddies eventually pulled him out in-between scenes.
    Wanted in MOTUC: Masks of Power Demons, Prince Dakon, Princess Rana, Mini-Comics Tri-Klops, Lizorr, Hoove, Vintage Attack Trak.

Y'know, I look at the Crimson Waste, and I can't help but think a bit of inspiration was drawn from the Fire Swamp in Princess Bride.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
    The last scene had him wading in the quicksand/mud pit. Didn't look like he was drowning to death. I reckon one of his buddies eventually pulled him out in-between scenes.
    You cannot actually drown in quicksand, and you cannot actually be pulled out of it. Your body, in fact, floats in it, as quicksand is so dense, denser than you body. The problem is, it is very viscous and a non-Newtonian fluid, and if you move too much you cause yourself to get stuck into it as if it were cement.

People living in the quicksand-dotted Crimson Waste should pretty well know and have learned the technique to get out of it, without needing anyone else's help:

Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    You cannot actually drown in quicksand, and you cannot actually be pulled out of it. Your body, in fact, floats in it, as quicksand is so dense, denser than you body. The problem is, it is very viscous and a non-Newtonian fluid, and if you move too much you cause yourself to get stuck into it as if it were cement.

People living in the quicksand-dotted Crimson Waste should pretty well know and have learned the technique to get out of it, without needing anyone else's help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snTNnCPNSUk
    Hahaha! Thanks for the vid!

I wonder though if logic works the same way in the shows' universe as it does ours..?
    Wanted in MOTUC: Masks of Power Demons, Prince Dakon, Princess Rana, Mini-Comics Tri-Klops, Lizorr, Hoove, Vintage Attack Trak.

Eternian Music Master mikethedrummer's Avatar
    That video was great! Music was cool too!
    PS4 contact: Petruk1976
    mikethedrummer's feedback thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...edback-Thread!

Whip of motuc Catra is no more an ordinary weapon! Now it has a backstory! Again awesome story. Crimson waste recalls little bit Saga comics in a very good way.
    Will do commissions for loose 200X Evillyn or Roboto. Guarantee: if not happy with pic, no need to send fig!

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    The writers are usually very attentive to the past lore, but they seem to have forgotten that Scorpia is from the Crimson Waste.

Loved that after Catra said she wasn’t going to say Whip when using the whip, Tung Lashor did just that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    The writers are usually very attentive to the past lore, but they seem to have forgotten that Scorpia is from the Crimson Waste.
    I thought the fact she wanted to stay and rule there was a nod to that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    I'm hoping we get more info on this. She does mention how her exoskeleton loves the dry hot climate ( ) Which I interpreted as a little Easter egg... we haven't learned where her people were from originally or what happened to them after they "gave" the Horde their runestone. I think Scorpia finding out that the Horde has been deceiving her might be that one push she needs to reclaim her runestone and join the Princess Alliance.
    A fabulous new wardrobe was revealed to me the day I held aloft my sword and said...

Heroic Warrior
    Scorpia's people are pretty clearly native to the Fright Zone in this version.

I’m surprised no one is mentioning that the spaceship looks like starship eternia and that the hologram character of Mara looks like Mara from NA. Could she have been the last shera before Adora. Are the first ones really from Primus! The writing is one the wall with this as the were a very technologically advanced society and what always struck me as more no one paid much attention to was in the opening credits they mention they are the last of mankind. If this is what gets turned out I find it total brilliant and commend the writers on doing a great job in looping this brand with that.

Quote Originally Posted by facet View Post
    I’m surprised no one is mentioning that the spaceship looks like starship eternia
    Well, does it really? We only see a small part of the ship and, although both share a triangular front, there's no confirmation that the rest of it looks like Starship Eternia.

and that the hologram character of Mara looks like Mara from NA. Could she have been the last shera before Adora.
    I take it you haven't seen the rest of the season yet, so I won't spoil it here.

Are the first ones really from Primus! The writing is one the wall with this as the were a very technologically advanced society and what always struck me as more no one paid much attention to was in the opening credits they mention they are the last of mankind. If this is what gets turned out I find it total brilliant and commend the writers on doing a great job in looping this brand with that.
    Except that the resulting timeline would make no sense. Primus is in the far future, whereas Etheria's First Ones are in the far past, with respect to Adora's time. Also, I've always taken the "last of mankind" thing to refer to Earth's mankind, rather than Eternia's mankind.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Heroic Warrior
    It seems as if some posters here are operating as if SaPoP is supposed to connect with MotU, S:PoP, and NAoHM, which it isn't.

The original MotU franchise exists as a resource that Noelle and her team can pull from for narrative and character inspiration, but is otherwise irrelevant to what is happening in SaPoP narratively.

Quote Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
    It seems as if some posters here are operating as if SaPoP is supposed to connect with MotU, S:PoP, and NAoHM, which it isn't.

The original MotU franchise exists as a resource that Noelle and her team can pull from for narrative and character inspiration, but is otherwise irrelevant to what is happening in SaPoP narratively.
    Because it is supposed to connect with all of that, and Noelle has made no secret she intended her version to connect with the greater mythology of MotU at large (she's scattered the series with a multitude of Easter eggs for the old fans), even when giving it her own spin, and even when limited by the licensing issues preventing this new She-Ra from fully integrating the larger MotU lore and character library.

New She-Ra is a (partial) reboot of an existing, decades-old franchise that has a preexisting, passionate fanbase (even if not currently as large as, say, Star Wars or LoTR or GoT, you can bet the farm the MotU fanbase is every bit as passionate, if not even more, given it has powered the existence of the MotUC line for over ten years against all odds). This new series does not exist in a vacuum, although some younger people on the social media nowadays seem to act totally oblivious of the fact that MotU has existed since before they were even born and was a phenomenal pop-culture phenomenon during the 80s. Noelle, for her part, was instead totally aware of MotU's previous history.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    Because it is supposed to connect with all of that, and Noelle has made no secret she intended her version to connect with the greater mythology of MotU at large (she's scattered the series with a multitude of Easter eggs for the old fans), even when giving it her own spin, and even when limited by the licensing issues preventing this new She-Ra from fully integrating the larger MotU lore and character library.

New She-Ra is a (partial) reboot of an existing, decades-old franchise that has a preexisting, passionate fanbase (even if not currently as large as, say, Star Wars or LoTR or GoT, you can bet the farm the MotU fanbase is every bit as passionate, if not even more, given it has powered the existence of the MotUC line for over ten years against all odds). This new series does not exist in a vacuum, although some younger people on the social media nowadays seem to act totally oblivious of the fact that MotU has existed since before they were even born and was a phenomenal pop-culture phenomenon during the 80s. Noelle, for her part, was instead totally aware of MotU's previous history.
    What are you talking about?

I have listened to and read countless interviews with Noelle and she has been 100% upfront about SaPoP being a brand-new and completely standalone take on the characters, mythology, and lore of S:PoP and its related concepts in the MotU franchise.

I honestly have no idea where this misconception that SaPoP is supposed to interconnect with the original MotU franchise came from, but it's not even remotely true.

Quote Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
    What are you talking about?

I have listened to and read countless interviews with Noelle and she has been 100% upfront about SaPoP being a brand-new and completely standalone take on the characters, mythology, and lore of S:PoP and its related concepts in the MotU franchise.

I honestly have no idea where this misconception that SaPoP is supposed to interconnect with the original MotU franchise came from, but it's not even remotely true.
    I think you have completely misunderstood whatever it is you read her saying. She has been quite clear about how much care she's taken to familiarize herself with the previously existing MotU mythology and how much it has influenced her new take on She-Ra. Which has nothing to do with the fact that New She-Ra, like 200X, is a reboot, rather than a continuation, so it establishes its own canon separate from other canons, while at the same time extensively referencing them.

Heroic Warrior
    ^ I didn't completely misunderstand her visual and aural interviews or the aural interviews that others directly involved with the series have given.

And it's kind of a foregone conclusion that she would familiarize herself with the original MotU because that's what you do when you're rebooting a previously-existing property.