Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Episode 26: "The Portal" (SPOILERS!)

Mara is one of my favourite characters in all MOTU, so great to see her as the Mara they’ve been referencing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
    Mara is one of my favourite characters in all MOTU, so great to see her as the Mara they’ve been referencing
    But they way Mara has been used in New PoP seems to be in complete utter contradiction with her original role and identity in New Adventures (which is the reason why no fan had seen the revelation of this Mara actually being the same as our good ol' Mara coming and took us all by flabbergasting surprise). So, as much as I love to see one of the main NA characters being referenced outside of the original NA, exposing her to a new audience and generation, I am still very ambivalent as to whether this was really a good use of Mara's character rather than just a careless coopting of her image and name to be repurposed in a completely different way and context, the use of her name and image being for the mere sake of a vintage character making a cameo appearance as a meaningless Easter egg to please old guard fans. I think I'd rather they had just created an entirely new character for this entirely new different role and context, and if Mara was to appear/be referenced, that she had remained her old self in identity and not just in name and appearance.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Quote Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
    Yeah... I think it could still go either way, but her appearance, her color scheme, her name, and the fact that they found her hologram aboard a starship, really points toward Mara of Primus.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Heroic Warrior
    It completely baffles me as to how anyone could look at SaPoP and think that it's supposed to somehow be interconnected with the original S:PoP or the rest of the original MotU franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
    It completely baffles me as to how anyone could look at SaPoP and think that it's supposed to somehow be interconnected with the original S:PoP or the rest of the original MotU franchise.
    Well, it baffles me how someone could look a New PoP and think it can exist in some kind of vacuum, completely disconnected from everything that came before it. Especially since Noelle herself has clearly stated that has never been her intention; quite the contrary. She could have invented a completely new character for the role that Mara is playing in New PoP, but instead, she especifically chose to reference a relatively unknown previously existing character that only the most hardcore of the old guard fans are really familiar with. That alone speaks volumes about her willingness to connect New PoP with the rest of MotU's history, including its most obscure and underappreciated corners.
    Last edited by uaxuctum; August 10, 2019 at 07:40pm.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    Well, it baffles me how someone could look a New PoP and think it can exist in some kind of vacuum, completely disconnected from everything that came before it.
    It baffles you that people would see SaPoP as the reboot it clearly is?

Ooookay.

Especially since Noelle herself has clearly stated that has never been her intention.
    This is the second time you've made that claim, so now I'm going to ask you to prove it because it completely contradicts everything that I have seen/heard her - and others involved with the series - say.
    Last edited by DigificWriter; August 10, 2019 at 09:48pm.

It baffles you that people would see SaPoP as the reboot it clearly is?
    Yes, a reboot, and reboots don't exist in vacuums, they are in constant dialog with what came before, either to alter or even deny some of it (e.g., 200X denies any link to Earth and deprives Cringer of his speech capabilities, which Filmation had established), or to reaffirm and celebrate it.

This is the second time you've made that claim, so now I'm going to ask you to prove it because it completely contradicts everything that I have seen/heard her - and others involved with the series - say.
    How many times has she stated that this or that is a direct reference/influence from this or that of the previous canons? I've lost count. Plus the proof is in the series itself, which is teeming with references to the other canons and has more Easter eggs than I can remember. The choice of Mara, itself, to play a role that could very well have been played by a completely new character (note she did invent new characters like Rogelio) is one of those instances.

Heroic Warrior
    Being referential to and cognizant of the original MotU franchise does not mean that Noelle has ever intended SaPoP to intersect with the continuity of it.

SaPop Mara sharing the same design as NAoHM Mara does not mean that she shares - or was ever intended to share - that character's history.

As I recall, and I may be misremembering, isn't it hinted in NA that Primus is some sort of far future version of Eternia? I mean doesn't Adam get into the Starship Eternia and then the scenery behind them age and then suddenly they're on Primus? I mean I'm not strictly an NA fan (Skeletor with googly eyes was a major misstep in my book ).
    A fabulous new wardrobe was revealed to me the day I held aloft my sword and said...

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire Moon View Post
    As I recall, and I may be misremembering, isn't it hinted in NA that Primus is some sort of far future version of Eternia? I mean doesn't Adam get into the Starship Eternia and then the scenery behind them age and then suddenly they're on Primus? I mean I'm not strictly an NA fan (Skeletor with googly eyes was a major misstep in my book ).
    It is certainly a coincidence that twin planets Eternia and Infinita have direct analogues in the future in Primus and Denebria respectively, and that the Galactic Guardians have named their starship for Eternia. It is stated in the minicomics and the animated series only that the Galactic Guardians went to the past to retrieve He-Man; they make no mention of also traveling to another galaxy. So it would not be unreasonable to infer that, although some creators have stated that was not necessarily the intention.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrala View Post
    Adora takes her infant self and throws her through the portal
    LOL - no baby throwing please.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire Moon View Post
    You might like this thread about Primus:

https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...uesses-invited!

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I think he was about to say "I'm not dead" before she took off. I don't think we were ever told how exactly he died. Unless we are shown a scene where he actually dies pretty clearly, I'm going with my theory that they are both still alive.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfootRULES View Post
    i think he said I Love you.
    If you turn on the closed captioning:

"Angie. Angella, wait. I'm not--"

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    If you turn on the closed captioning:

"Angie. Angella, wait. I'm not--"
    . . . dead.