Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: He-Man and She-Ra return to DVD in complete series sets by Universal

He-Man and She-Ra return to DVD in complete series sets by Universal

Release date is October 1. Both releases include The Secret of the Sword and the Christmas Special.

Amazon links:

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe: The Complete Original Series
    She-Ra: Princess of Power The Complete Original Series

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Full He-Man series in 16 DVD discs.

Out of which 2 are dedicated to special features.

So 130 episodes put in 14 discs... roughly 9 episodes per disc. Hope the quality doesn't suffer too much.
    And looks like She-Ra has similar case; 93 episodes crammed into 10 discs.

Don't get me wrong, awesome that Universal are releasing them. And the special features look curious.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Good to see these being released. I do own them from before but I am curious about the special features in this new release.
    For the Honor, for the Glory, for the Power of GRAYSKULL!!!

Yeah, the special features are what interest me the most at this point.I have all the R1 BCI dvds, everything.
    Hopefully Universal is going for a worlwide release by distributing dvds as a marketing tool to wake up brand awareness of our beloved childhood heroes.
    Unfortunatley Season 2 for both shows were never released for home video in many countires. Maybe this time will be different

I'm still hopeful for a BLU RAY release at some point, maybe just upscale from the original source (sadly the german BDs are not that good, too many episodes crafted onto 1 single discs, whuch translates in a very low quality )
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "Good Journey!"
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "The Power of Grayskull Awakens......"
    "Let the Power Returns....!"

It looks like the special features for both are:

The Christmas Special
    The Secret of the Sword movie
    Power of Grayskull: The Definitive History of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe documentary that was on Kickstarter and Netflix
    Saturday Morning Legacy of Filmation
    Hope, Honor, Heart: The Origins of She-Ra
    Early Concepts and Illustrations

The Filmation and She-Ra ones sound like they might be new documentaries. I'm guessing they aren't super long, so I'm not sure if it is enough to get me to buy both of them all over again. They could just be extra stuff that was shot for the Definitive documentary. I have all the BCI sets, She-Ra's Classic Media release, and He-Man's Mill Creek release. I recently purchased She-Ra again on Vudu to have a digital copy and might do the same for He-Man (if I know they include "The Problem with Power" which is mysteriously not listed on Vudu).

Very cool. I will probably get these when they are released.

I never use my DVD player any more but I will definitely get these. Hopefully it still works!

Court Magician
    Cant wait but If its 640x480 i wont get this, they should do pal version because of image quality

I’ll probably grab these. Having six boxes compacted down to two is very appealing.
    "I feel the best when I can't remember anything."

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    They could just be extra stuff that was shot for the Definitive documentary.
    As I understood, the kickstarter backers received all additional footage they made. These don't have same titles as those.

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Court Magician
    Aaah, its NTSC so 640x480... too bad, maybe the reason contender release was only one season cause it was PAL region and its better for them to release NTSC because of target audience is mostly in US.I hope im wrong and we will get bluray releases someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    As I understood, the kickstarter backers received all additional footage they made. These don't have same titles as those.
    I'd have to get my drive out that I have the extra features saved on since I was a backer to check, but just because they don't have the exact same titles doesn't mean these couldn't have been pulled from those extra features. I don't recall any of the extras for the kickstarter being given fancy titles, but doesn't really mean anything. There are definitely extras for the kickstarter that talk about Filmation and She-Ra.

Definitely getting these, probably for Christmas. I really want to see those extras.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    I don't recall any of the extras for the kickstarter being given fancy titles, but doesn't really mean anything. There are definitely extras for the kickstarter that talk about Filmation and She-Ra.
    Indeed. Though I hope they would be totally new special features. But hard to say at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Full He-Man series in 16 DVD discs.

Out of which 2 are dedicated to special features.

So 130 episodes put in 14 discs... roughly 9 episodes per disc. Hope the quality doesn't suffer too much.
    With Mpeg-2 codec you can bet the quality will suffer a lot. Every time you see Cringer becoming Battlecat it'll be nothing but a pixelated mess.

Quote Originally Posted by bwwd View Post
    Cant wait but If its 640x480 i wont get this, they should do pal version because of image quality
    NTSC resolution is 720x480.
    But the DVD masters being used are in even worse condition than 640x480:
    1. Much of them are deinterlaced by removal of one video field which led to vertical resolution getting cut in HALF. So these masters aren't in 720x576, but in 720x288.

(Notice the jagged line art)

2. Additional commercial blocks have been inserted for sake of streaming services like Hulu.

Aaah, its NTSC so 640x480... too bad, maybe the reason contender release was only one season cause it was PAL region and its better for them to release NTSC because of target audience is mostly in US.I hope im wrong and we will get bluray releases someday.
    The DVD sets are primarily for the countries they are released in. No one makes a set for the entire world. And if you want a full show in proper PAL form - get Australian Madman release. Quality is very much like that of Contender set.

And right now it's unlikely that we'll be getting a bluray any time soon as Hollywood is far more eager to burn money on box office flops rather than invest in HD remaster.
    Last edited by Grimbot; August 12, 2019 at 09:52am.
    Brings doom to MOTUC with cel accuracy.

Avenge The Fallen Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Looks like I'll be buying both series yet again! I'm not complaining. I'll just be adding to my He-Man/She-Ra DVD collection.

Hopefully we'll get a Region 2 release at some point.

I've never seen the second 65 episodes of Filmation He-Man available in the UK.
    Or New Adventure, or the 2002 series, or Beast Wars, or GI Joe....

I should really just get a mutli-region DVD player put it seems so old-tech for 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Hopefully we'll get a Region 2 release at some point.

I've never seen the second 65 episodes of Filmation He-Man available in the UK.
    Or New Adventure, or the 2002 series, or Beast Wars, or GI Joe....

I should really just get a mutli-region DVD player put it seems so old-tech for 2019.
    Just google your model and find the region unlock code.
    Brings doom to MOTUC with cel accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    Just google your model and find the region unlock code.
    Region 2 is not only UK I think UK fans should have no issue in playing these on a region free player.
    NBC/Universal should really invests like BCI last time and sell the license for most of the european countries and latin America as well.
    Aussie friends also have no issues but I know a proper R4 would be just unique for them.
    Fingers crossed.

I still buy physical media, not just for the episodes but for the extras, the artwork on the packaging and stuff like that. I mean did you see how much collectible-friendly the BD Batman TAS it was? WB did awesome job. Yeah somethin like that for Masters as well please
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "Good Journey!"
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "The Power of Grayskull Awakens......"
    "Let the Power Returns....!"

Rather wish they were blu-ray.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    Rather wish they were blu-ray.
    Blu-Ray sets would be nice, but I'm not sure if it would look much better the BCI DVD sets. With how popular streaming is these days, I wasn't sure if we'd see another complete series set release on even DVD. I don't think we'll ever get another set like BCI's again where they spread the episodes out on more discs.

Widget
    I remember at one point someone claiming that the original film elements for the entire filmation library were 'destroyed' by Hallmark/L'oreal, but i find that impossible to believe... those elements have a big value on the open film collectors market, and i guarantee someone somewhere has the original film negatives that were used for film telecine transfers, if not the negatives, then at least an interpostive reel of the shows that would have been distributed to television station distributors who made 3/4" masters for TV stations.

Australian TV was notorious for having film elements like that laying around...

does anyone have connections to help locate film prints that Universal could use to create a Blu-ray series?

having yet another DVD release of the same old stuff is no bueno, they can do better, and i expect better.

maybe Erica Scheimer knows the whereabouts of film elements for the series? does anyone have her contact info?

MOTU masters have been already found, maybe not all of them, but it's a fact. There doesn't seem to be an interest from producers to scan them and release.
    As for these new DVD sets, I'm only interested in (potentially) new bonus feautures. I can't imagine how LQ the shows will look like with so few discs. It reminds me of times when they were selling bootleg DVDs with 5 movies on one disc. It's good that they finally have subtitles though. I wish there was a way to buy the final bonus disс separately or buy those bonus features in a digital form.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd have to get my drive out that I have the extra features saved on since I was a backer to check, but just because they don't have the exact same titles doesn't mean these couldn't have been pulled from those extra features. I don't recall any of the extras for the kickstarter being given fancy titles, but doesn't really mean anything. There are definitely extras for the kickstarter that talk about Filmation and She-Ra.
    Do you know if there's a way to buy those digital extras? I missed the Kickstarter...
    Last edited by Chris85; August 15, 2019 at 11:40pm.

Heroic Warrior
    This is really cool for those who may have missed out on the original DVD releases. I bought the digital versions of the sets on Amazon. They include all the episodes, The Secret of the Sword, and the Christmas Special, but not the additional documentaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    With Mpeg-2 codec you can bet the quality will suffer a lot. Every time you see Cringer becoming Battlecat it'll be nothing but a pixelated mess.

NTSC resolution is 720x480.
    But the DVD masters being used are in even worse condition than 640x480:
    1. Much of them are deinterlaced by removal of one video field which led to vertical resolution getting cut in HALF. So these masters aren't in 720x576, but in 720x288.
    https://i.imgur.com/MW4NxrO.jpg
    (Notice the jagged line art)

2. Additional commercial blocks have been inserted for sake of streaming services like Hulu.

The DVD sets are primarily for the countries they are released in. No one makes a set for the entire world. And if you want a full show in proper PAL form - get Australian Madman release. Quality is very much like that of Contender set.

And right now it's unlikely that we'll be getting a bluray any time soon as Hollywood is far more eager to burn money on box office flops rather than invest in HD remaster.
    Or simply get the spanish new release.
    That's PAL

Complete S01 and S02

Don't have them so I cant comment on their quality