Page 95 of 96 FirstFirst ... 458593949596 LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,375 of 2400

Thread: Modern ThunderCats Toys Thread (2)

Wish they’d at least made it through year 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    I used to wonder if there were enough Thundercats fans to support an exhaustive Ultimates line. Now I wonder if the line can survive Super7.
    Yeah. A year and a half since Wave two was announced. Smh. I wonder how many casual TCats fans, who might have jumped on board are now saying "Screw this." That's all of these months of licensing fees gone out the window.

I didn't get the $450 ThunderTank, after I thought I would. In the end, I'd much rather have the characters. I think Super 7 should have ironed out all of the delays and waited for the core TCats or Mutants to be completed before announcing any vehicles. I haven't gotten any Super 7 TCats product yet (I did order Ultimate Lion-O for the correct weaponry). I planned on continuing from the Mattel versions.

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    As badly laid out as road map chatacter selection is, and even with the faults of the Mattel figures, had the line continued atleast they would have had all these figures made by now.
    I'm curious what you think they should've done differently. I do question making characters like Vultureman, Mumm-Ra and Snarf exclusives, absolutely.

But other than that decision, the order of releases looks pretty smart to me. They not only space out the different factions pretty evenly across the years, but they also don't blow their wad by releasing all the A-listers in the first couple of years (a mistake they made with MOTUC when they obviously had no idea how long it would last). Spacing out the A-listers like this would've given the line the longevity it needed to make it to 2020, where they clearly planned to definitively end it.

So, yeah, to me this roadmap shows Mattel learned from mistakes when it came to spacing out factions and A-listers. The only huge mistake I see is making some highly-demanded characters exclusives. But then again, I never had a problem getting SDCC exclusives without ever attending the show. YMMV, but I always thought Mattel did a decent job of getting those figures into non-attendees hands. (With the exception of Gleek, that is.)
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

I'm curious what you think they should've done differently. I do question making characters like Vultureman, Mumm-Ra and Snarf exclusives, absolutely.

But other than that decision, the order of releases looks pretty smart to me. They not only space out the different factions pretty evenly across the years, but they also don't blow their wad by releasing all the A-listers in the first couple of years (a mistake they made with MOTUC when they obviously had no idea how long it would last). Spacing out the A-listers like this would've given the line the longevity it needed to make it to 2020, where they clearly planned to definitively end it.

So, yeah, to me this roadmap shows Mattel learned from mistakes when it came to spacing out factions and A-listers. The only huge mistake I see is making some highly-demanded characters exclusives. But then again, I never had a problem getting SDCC exclusives without ever attending the show. YMMV, but I always thought Mattel did a decent job of getting those figures into non-attendees hands. (With the exception of Gleek, that is.)
    Firstly keeping Tygra until the final year is a bad idea. Thundercats is not MOTU. The four main Thundercats should not be that spaced out. I was not a fan of the whole blackmailing marketing of MOTUC holding figures back. Granted there was lots more charcters in MOTU but Thundercats had a lot less "A listers" so I would think if people had the main cast first they would probably be happy enough continuing to add to the collection instead of being forced into subscribing for characters they didn't want.
    Although having said that...if at the time when the line was starting had they actually shown this planned road map to the fans there would probably have been a lot more support for the line from the start.
    Having so many characters as exclusives like Mumm-Ra, Snarf and Vultureman was also a very bad idea.
    It's strange they were only making the three toy Berbils and not the common light brown Berbil which was the most common in the cartoon.
    Making Bruteman, Mandora and Quick-Pick are odd choices. Granted some people like Mandora but without her bike what is the point? Would anyone really want a Bruteman....or even multiple Brutemen....their were better characters like the Trollogs and Giantors. Zero interest in Quick-Pick.
    Claudis, Willa, Tashee would have been better characters to include.
    As much as I dislike the Lunataks why would they bother making them and not make Tug Mug...especially when he was one of the better designs in the group.

Firstly keeping Tygra until the final year is a bad idea. Thundercats is not MOTU. The four main Thundercats should not be that spaced out. I was not a fan of the whole blackmailing marketing of MOTUC holding figures back.
    I hear you. I kind of feel like it's a darned-if-you-do/don't situation. On the one hand, I think there's lots of evidence that the TCats fandom is smaller and less rabid than MOTU fandom. Could the line survive beyond A-listers without the sub model and holding back key characters for each year? I'm not sure. But conversely, the fact that Mattel had laid out a streamlined, mostly logical line-up without a lot of filler and with an endpoint in sight says to me that fans would have easily stayed on board without the sub model. (Side note: I'm pleased and surprised that Mattel seemed to have the foresight that TCats was not MOTU and could not support a toyline full of Z-listers. Wishing now more than ever that Super7 had never gotten the license and Mattel had hung onto it.)

Having so many characters as exclusives like Mumm-Ra, Snarf and Vultureman was also a very bad idea.
    Absolutely agree.

Making Bruteman, Mandora and Quick-Pick are odd choices. Granted some people like Mandora but without her bike what is the point? Would anyone really want a Bruteman....or even multiple Brutemen....their were better characters like the Trollogs and Giantors. Zero interest in Quick-Pick. Claudis, Willa, Tashee would have been better characters to include.
    I feel like Quick-Pick was a decent choice as he did make more than one cartoon appearance, which in a sense makes him more worthy than Mongor or especially Stinger. TCats was pretty good about bringing back a lot of its supporting characters, and a lot of those characters got figures in the LJN toyline; Quick-Pick fits right in alongside Safari Joe and Captain Shiner as far as prominence. I agree the Brutemen were a terrible choice for a single figure or army builder (their whole shtick was that they were stupid, lumbering, and didn't fight... not exactly and exciting "action" figure). Claudis would have been worthy of a figure, but Willa is the biggest oversight on this roadmap (arguably Nada as well). I personally would've loved a two-pack of the characters from the episode "Good and Ugly," but that's just me.

As much as I dislike the Lunataks why would they bother making them and not make Tug Mug...especially when he was one of the better designs in the group.
    You hate them, I absolutely love them. I get that they devolved into screechy, annoying characters, but dang was their introduction impressive, and I loved the cohesive design of the whole team as well as their power set. Alluro remains one of my favorite villains from the series. Having said all that, the absence of Tug Mug from the roadmap screams mistake to me... like they didn't even realize they had forgotten him. There's no other explanation for his absence when every other team was given a complete roster and they still found room for the likes of the Brutemen. (Another side note: annoying a he was, Snarfer is also a major oversight on this roadmap.)

Anyway... it's fun to look at Mattel's plans and have "what if" conversations. The way Super7 is handling things, I predict they will focus on delivering Snarf, Bengali, and Vultureman and then drop the line. It's obviously not a priority license for them and maybe it's not selling as well as they'd like, especially compared to TMNT. I will be shocked if we get any Berzerkers or Lunataks. Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I don't have confidence in Super7 delivering anything nearly as robust as what Mattel had planned.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

... it's fun to look at Mattel's plans and have "what if" conversations. The way Super7 is handling things, I predict they will focus on delivering Snarf, Bengali, and Vultureman and then drop the line. It's obviously not a priority license for them and maybe it's not selling as well as they'd like, especially compared to TMNT. I will be shocked if we get any Berzerkers or Lunataks. Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I don't have confidence in Super7 delivering anything nearly as robust as what Mattel had planned.
    The characters from Good and Ugly were very interesting and it was a great episode.
    I know LJN made severl characters that only appeared in one or two episodes but at least those characters interesting looking and fun toys.

Super 7's retro stuff is pretty cool looking...but I have no confidence in their Ultimates lines. And that's not even getting into the price, quality control and delays.

I don't know what characters Super 7 have planned for Thundercats...but I hope who ever makes the selections is does a better job than whoever is selecting their wrestling figures.

Heroic Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    I have no faith that the guy who wrote the Netflix live-action Death Note is going to blow my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by LioConvoy View Post
    I have no faith that the guy who wrote the Netflix live-action Death Note is going to blow my mind.
    I’m already out if he’s going back on his own words about not doing live-action. ThunderCats would need an Avengers budget and the top VFX and SFX talent to pull that off.

I swear, why did I have to love such a cursed franchise.

I guess Warner Bros don't want to break their streak of making poor decissions with Thundercats.
    Although making a live action movie will probably be the best thing they have done with Thundercats...hopefully they make better decission with the merchandise liciencing for the movie.

Modern ThunderCats Toys Thread (2)

I guess Warner Bros don't want to break their streak of making poor decissions with Thundercats.
    Although making a live action movie will probably be the best thing they have done with Thundercats...hopefully they make better decission with the merchandise liciencing for the movie.
    Ok, I promise I don’t want to argue this. I am sincerely asking: what is it that makes a segment of fans wanting a live-action have this desire? Why do you think that would be anything but a disaster or at best mediocre without an Avatar budget or level of resources? Is there some other past success with live-action feline humanoids that points to how great a live-action TC film would be? I just don’t get it.

Am I the only one who sees similarities between LJN and Super7?
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Am I the only one who sees similarities between LJN and Super7?
    Can you expound?

Quote Originally Posted by Brodod View Post
    Can you expound?
    LJN was known for getting a lot of licenses for games back in that day and said games tended to not live up to the expectation.

Super7 is getting a lot of licenses and they have taken quite a while to get around to them and their are several complaints about the product.

LJN as a toy company wasn't exactly what I was looking at.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Heroic Warrior
    Surprised there's no talk about the fwooshcast interview Bryan did. Started with thundercats. Talked about everything else. Hey notes at what I believe is going to be Indiana jones

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Magna Prime View Post
    Surprised there's no talk about the fwooshcast interview Bryan did. Started with thundercats. Talked about everything else. Hey notes at what I believe is going to be Indiana jones
    If they make Indiana Jones and the human faces come out anything like their Conan figures (Arnold in particular) I’m out. Which sucks…

Ok, I promise I don’t want to argue this. I am sincerely asking: what is it that makes a segment of fans wanting a live-action have this desire? Why do you think that would be anything but a disaster or at best mediocre without an Avatar budget or level of resources? Is there some other past success with live-action feline humanoids that points to how great a live-action TC film would be? I just don’t get it.

I am not 100% what mean exactly. I think a live action movie would be cool. From what I have read about the this planned movie and the director/writer's previous work I don't think he is exactly the right choice for the movie. If they actually make the movie I hope it's good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by racer x View Post
    If they make Indiana Jones and the human faces come out anything like their Conan figures (Arnold in particular) IÂ’m out. Which sucksÂ…
    I said this on another forum in a discussion about Indiana Jones but it is an odd franchise. The movies are great...but the characters have never made the most exciting action figures. Outside of a few characters there really isn't that many really worth making.
    Persoanlly I would Hasbro Black Series or NECA accurate sculpted and painted Indana Jones figures.

Totally agree with you about the Arnold face sculpt it was terrible, their face sculpting and painting would really need to improve if they got the licence.

I think a live action movie would be cool.
    This part.
    Why do you think a *live-action* TC movie would be cool at all?

And a separate, tangential question: if you think it would be better than an animated version, why?

Heroic Warrior KingRandorFacepalm's Avatar

I'm with you. I think a live action film is asking for trouble. I hope I'm wrong if they do indeed go that way. I'm having a hard time, though, imagining the characters (particularly the cats) translating to live action in a way that won't come off as generally laughable, and so as unintended comedy.

Still, I'm glad a movie is being discussed and maybe getting some traction. ThunderCats makes me really happy.

"Anybody want to buy a used bolo?"

I keep thinking that activity in this thread means Super 7 has updated the status of the line. Silly me.

I said this on another forum in a discussion about Indiana Jones but it is an odd franchise. The movies are great...but the characters have never made the most exciting action figures. Outside of a few characters there really isn't that many really worth making.
    Persoanlly I would Hasbro Black Series or NECA accurate sculpted and painted Indana Jones figures.

Totally agree with you about the Arnold face sculpt it was terrible, their face sculpting and painting would really need to improve if they got the licence.
    If Super 7 made Indy figures in their ReAction line, it would work... because that's essentially what the original Raiders of the Lost Ark toys were.

I cannot imagine the potential for how awful an Ultimates Indiana Jones could look.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Looking forward to the Netflix Era<<

This part.
    Why do you think a *live-action* TC movie would be cool at all?

And a separate, tangential question: if you think it would be better than an animated version, why?

I am basing this on the original Thundercats cartoon story, it's a good story that if done correctly on screen could be great and could look visually stunning.
    Of course I know this is an unpopular opinion but in a live action movie I would prefer them to be more cat like instead of as human as they were in the cartoon. If they look to human I think it would be like those odd live action play show with actors from the 80s.

Also if given a choice between animation and live action, I prefer animation and would prefer a good animated show instead of a live action movie.
    However much like Transformers etc a big budget movie it would be a good way to get more publicity to Thundercats.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    If Super 7 made Indy figures in their ReAction line, it would work... because that's essentially what the original Raiders of the Lost Ark toys were.

I cannot imagine the potential for how awful an Ultimates Indiana Jones could look.
    ReActions are fine. But aside from a few characters (being generous) from each movie who else is there worth making....just various Nazi soldiers.

After seeing their Arnold I agree a Harrison Ford head sculpt would probably be just as terrible. And on a MOTUC body LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos88 View Post
    I keep thinking that activity in this thread means Super 7 has updated the status of the line. Silly me.
    I thought the same. I'm amazed that they have launched pretty much 3 waves of TMNT Classics and only one (reissued) of TC Classics...
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders(

My feedback thread

Regular human characters just don't make very interesting action figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Regular human characters just don't make very interesting action figures.
    An action figure line that is nothing but regular human character doesn't make interesting figures. When they are tossed in now and than, examples being Jamison, MJ Watson, Alfred in ML and DC (whatever) they are interesting in contrast to what else is being done.