Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many of you remember FIRE AND ICE (1983)?

Call Your Champion Voodoo Magic's Avatar

How many of you remember FIRE AND ICE (1983)?

Being a Sword & Sorcery fan as a child, I sought everything in the genre including Conan the Barbarian, The Beastmaster, and this animated feature from Ralph Bakshi and Frank Frazetta which got a lot of play at my house.

Anyone remember watching this, and being especially impressed with the rotoscope animation?

Trailer:
    ~ CALL YOUR CHAMPION ~

I am quite a fan of Frazetta's art so when I found out about this movie several years I watched it.
    It's a pretty cool movie and the animation dis a good job of capturing Frazetta's art style.

I've never heard of it until now. It looks like Amazon Prime (US) has it to rent for $3.99 I might give it a watch this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 8/29/2021

Eternian Metal Head Skeletor-81's Avatar
    Yes! For me this is right up there with Heavy Metal and the original Lord of the Rings!
    "I have great faith in fools, self-confidence my friends call it." -Edgar Allen Poe

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I remember it.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Darkwolf was surely interesting character (named only in the trailer - not the film).

It wasnt until I watched some of the blu-ray supplementals and re-watched the movie with fresh adult eyes, that I learned...

...that the implication is Darkwolf is actually Nekron's father (hence why Nekron's powers wouldn't work on Dark Wolf)

...and Dark Wolf is probably dead, returned from the spirit world to exact revenge on his son and his mother.
    ~ CALL YOUR CHAMPION ~

Oh I remember this. Was a good time. I do remember wondering how the Princess didn't scar her bare feet walking around on what had to be hot ground in her lava land home.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    Oh I remember this. Was a good time. I do remember wondering how the Princess didn't scar her bare feet walking around on what had to be hot ground in her lava land home.
    Hmm. I don't believe the ground was hot. It was just normal jungle.

Fire Keep was built around what appears to be a volcano. And it seems, as a last defense mechanism, they can release lava through portals all around the kingdom as seen below.

Why I say it's their last defense mechanism is...

on the way to Nekron's ice, the lava burns through lush jungle surrounding the kingdom and you can hear screaming animals when it happens.

~ CALL YOUR CHAMPION ~

Heroic Warrior
    Fire and Ice is a S&S classic.
    AND you can watch it free, legally free, on Tubitv...along with other Sword & Sorcery/Sandals movies and shows.

Both Conan The Adventurer tv series, animated and live-action are on their.

Somehow I've still never watched this! I need to rectify that ASAP. Other than the skimpy barbarian outfits, is there anything I should worry about if I want to let the kiddo watch?
    MOTU Origins Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Anti-Eternia Characters, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy
    Hermione's Toy Box on Youtube (GIVEAWAY in Progress!): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8C...xlwUttPSJAUZMA

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    Somehow I've still never watched this! I need to rectify that ASAP. Other than the skimpy barbarian outfits, is there anything I should worry about if I want to let the kiddo watch?
    No sex.
    Brief nudity.
    Might be scary in a couple places.
    Brutal violence, but with the blood significantly reduced in most, but not all places.

An example gif:

~ CALL YOUR CHAMPION ~

LOTS of violence and sexuality. I would not recommend this for Hermione or any pre-teen. This got a PG rating but this was released in '83 before the PG-13 era. If this was released today it would probably get an R rating just due to the nudity.

It's a great film though. The early 80's were a great time for animated films like this and Rock & Rule, Wizards, and of course Heavy Metal.

Never saw this, thanks for the reminder that I needed to pick it up.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty.81 View Post
    I've never heard of it until now. It looks like Amazon Prime (US) has it to rent for $3.99 I might give it a watch this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    It's on tubi for free

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    If this was released today it would probably get an R rating just due to the nudity.
    Hmm. I don't think we talking about the same movie. In "Fire and Ice" there are loads of flimsy outfits, but the only nudity you get is a brief fraction of a second shot of a villagers' bare bottom and a wet t-shirt type deal for roughly 15 seconds. You'll find much more gratuitous nudity in PG-13 films like "National Lampoon's European Vacation" or "Titanic".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    Never saw this, thanks for the reminder that I needed to pick it up.
    Awesome! Roughly a year ago there was an announcement of a 4K transfer for this, but I'm not certain if it's still in the works. The blu-ray is gorgeous though.
    ~ CALL YOUR CHAMPION ~

I remember watching this. Good fluid animation. Loved the savage barbarian setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Magic View Post
    Hmm. I don't think we talking about the same movie. In "Fire and Ice" there are loads of flimsy outfits, but the only nudity you get is a brief fraction of a second shot of a villagers' bare bottom and a wet t-shirt type deal for roughly 15 seconds.
    From IMDB:

Sex & nudity:

Mild

The artwork of Frank Frazetta, upon which this movie is based, is spectacular. He does, however, have a penchant for the female form and draws his female characters typically scantily clad and very voluptuous. Teegra (female lead) spends most of the movie running around in a tiny bikini top and thong (despite the ice!) Her curvy body is very much on display, with erect nipples showing through bikini top. Bakshi (and Frazetta) work out their camera angles to linger as long as possible on her.
    No explicit sex or nudity but A LOT of partial nudity.
    The female characters, especially the main princess character, are very, very scantily dressed. The princess is dressed in bikini top and thong resembling pink rags. very detailed movements and angles focusing on her large breasts, butt, belly and belly button, and shots of her crotch. Also, the mold of her nipples are visible poking out of her bra.

I'd let teens watch it but probably not any younger than that only because it does sexualize the female characters.
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    From IMDB:

Sex & nudity:

Mild

The artwork of Frank Frazetta, upon which this movie is based, is spectacular. He does, however, have a penchant for the female form and draws his female characters typically scantily clad and very voluptuous. Teegra (female lead) spends most of the movie running around in a tiny bikini top and thong (despite the ice!) Her curvy body is very much on display, with erect nipples showing through bikini top. Bakshi (and Frazetta) work out their camera angles to linger as long as possible on her.
    No explicit sex or nudity but A LOT of partial nudity.
    The female characters, especially the main princess character, are very, very scantily dressed. The princess is dressed in bikini top and thong resembling pink rags. very detailed movements and angles focusing on her large breasts, butt, belly and belly button, and shots of her crotch. Also, the mold of her nipples are visible poking out of her bra.

I'd let teens watch it but probably not any younger than that only because it does sexualize the female characters.
    Yep, I think "mild" is the correct grade for sex and actual nudity. And they're even overselling the nipple aspect here, because they are only visible through her garments in a scene where she's briefly wet. But she is basically running around in a bikini the whole entire movie.

This conversation is funny, though. It reminds me of something my father would say all the time. I was born in the United States, but my father was an immigrant from Europe. And he would always say... "Bah! What's wrong with you Americans. Your kids seeing people get stabbed and killed is fine, but once your children see a nipple you all freak out!"
    ~ CALL YOUR CHAMPION ~

Thanks for the input, gang. I would probably wait before showing Hermione a couple years, but mostly because she seems to be a bit judgy about women running around in bikinis.

(Oddly enough, Battleground Teel is one of her favorite MOTUC figures...
    MOTU Origins Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Anti-Eternia Characters, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy
    Hermione's Toy Box on Youtube (GIVEAWAY in Progress!): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8C...xlwUttPSJAUZMA

Court Magician
    Zoloworld is teasing pre-orders for a line of Masters-style figures based on Frazetta characters:

https://underworldfigures.com/index....index&cPath=24

It'll be interesting to see what their female figures look like as I don't think they've made any before.

Wow, I wasn't aware. It would be wild if they obtained the Fire and Ice license too.

Some people forget Frazetta's artwork featured lots of scantily clad men as well. We also got some of that in this film:

~ CALL YOUR CHAMPION ~

Hmm. I don't think we talking about the same movie.
    No we are. I've seen it at least 100 times. I even own it the laserdisc and still pull it out once in awhile. Teegra's costume is practically non-existent and almost see through. You can even see her nipples through her top. She's got fabric on her parts but she's not really hiding anything. I'll give you that she's not technically "nude" but I've seen dancers at strip bars wear less. Some wear G-strings and pasties and it would be almost the same thing. And in some bars they wear even less.

You'll find much more gratuitous nudity in PG-13 films like "National Lampoon's European Vacation" or "Titanic".
    And?

Those aren't animated movies. For the most part, the MPA frowns upon animated movies nowadays with sexuality or nudity cause animated movies are generally aimed towards kids. Animated movies with these adult themes for the most part get harsher ratings in today's world. That was my point. In 83' when this was released the standards were much different, just like they are about several different things in 2021.

Robert Rodriguez was tied to a live action remake of Fire And Ice years ago but it never happened. Sony bought the rights and was scheduled to produce and distribute it but the project faded away. There is concept art online for the project if you look.
    Last edited by Bonehead; September 10, 2021 at 05:46pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    No we are. I've seen it at least 100 times. I even own it the laserdisc and still pull it out once in awhile. Teegra's costume is practically non-existent and almost see through. You can even see her nipples through her top. She's got fabric on her parts but she's not really hiding anything. I'll give you that she's not technically "nude" but I've seen dancers at strip bars wear less. Some wear G-strings and pasties and it would be almost the same thing. And in some bars they wear even less.
    I just think you oversold it when you said "If this was released today it would probably get an R rating just due to the nudity" and oversold it again when your saying 'pasties is almost the same thing" and neither is accurate. A tiny bikini yes, does her top get wet for 15 seconds that can probably be perceived as partial nudity yes, designed to excite teenage boys, likely. But a tiny bikini is not considered nudity to the MPAA or the Law, which is why you see those strippers you mentioned dress that way because the law doesn't allow them to be nude in establishments that serve alcohol in many US states.

Should nudity be redefined? I'm okay with that. But I don't believe the MPAA has different rules for animated films, so I don't believe it would get an R for a tiny bikini. PG-13, definitely. But I think it deserves an R for its violence. But the bikini, I doubt but who knows. We'll never find out anyway because Studios won't greenlight anything that can be perceived as objectifying women even if the men are also wearing speedo like loincloths. But that's probably a good thing. Cheers!
    ~ CALL YOUR CHAMPION ~

Thanks for the input, gang. I would probably wait before showing Hermione a couple years, but mostly because she seems to be a bit judgy about women running around in bikinis.

(Oddly enough, Battleground Teel is one of her favorite MOTUC figures...
    F&I is an incredible fantasy / sword & sorcery epic and a watermark of 80's animation... but, your decision is a good one.

I always think of Heavy Metal (1981) when talking about F&I, and that is another movie I certainly wouldn't show my kids until they were old enough to actually appreciate the reasons behind the gore and nudity.

In the meantime, there is always the Pirates of Darkwater, the Rankin/Bass Hobbit, Thundarr, Blackstar and, of course, MOTU 1987!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Awesome! Roughly a year ago there was an announcement of a 4K transfer for this, but I'm not certain if it's still in the works. The blu-ray is gorgeous though.
    Yeah, I ordered the Blu-ray, should be here in a couple days. Never seen the entire movie but I've seen clips here and there, enough to know I'll probably like it a lot. My wife and I are fairly big on Rotoscoping in general, and we love fantasy stuff.

And on a personal level, I am somewhat a fan of scantily-clad women in any context, so that's a bonus.

Seriously, though, everyone is always free to determine their own personal "line" but I will never, ever understand the Nipple Taboo. We all see them every day and we all know everyone else has 'em. On some things I'm pretty conservative, but when it comes to issues pertaining to nudity and its depiction I guess I'm something of a Libertine.

Anyways, very much looking forward to finally seeing the whole thing soon.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA