Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is scorpias crush on catra inappropriate ?

Is scorpias crush on catra inappropriate ?

Let me just start by saying that I've been enjoying Netflix's she ra reboot , although I prefer the original look of the character I've no really strong ties to anything filmation . But one thing that's struck me as a little bit off is that while adora and catra are both kids in this new show , scorpia has mentioned history with the old princess alliance and is probably more in her 30s at the very least ? It just seems really creepy to me to normalise this adult character's attraction to someone who is basically a minor and even paint her as such a cool and fun character . Sea hawk and mermista are also a little concerning . I just wondered what everyone else's thoughts were and more hopefully , have I got it wrong?

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by davelove81 View Post
    Let me just start by saying that I've been enjoying Netflix's she ra reboot , although I prefer the original look of the character I've no really strong ties to anything filmation . But one thing that's struck me as a little bit off is that while adora and catra are both kids in this new show , scorpia has mentioned history with the old princess alliance and is probably more in her 30s at the very least ? It just seems really creepy to me to normalise this adult character's attraction to someone who is basically a minor and even paint her as such a cool and fun character . Sea hawk and mermista are also a little concerning . I just wondered what everyone else's thoughts were and more hopefully , have I got it wrong?

I get what you're saying, but didn't Noelle say Adora and Catra were meant to be in their early 20s?
    I am Imp's number one fan.

I hope so , if that's the case then it's a relief

Heroic Warrior
    To the OP: Scorpia is not as old as you think she is. Her family gave thehe Horde the Black Garnet, but she wasn't alive at the time.

And Noelle has said that Adora is 17 or 18 here, although the way she acts "reads" a year or two younger.

Here's my best guess as to character ages based on the show's presentation:
    Adora: 17 (she "reads" a little younger, though)
    Catra: 17
    Scorpia: 18 or 19
    Glimmer: 14 or 15
    Bow: 15 or 16
    Perfuma: 18 or 19
    Mermista: 19 or 20
    Sea Hawk: Early 20s

Good to know it's the only real Problem I've had with the show up to now , hopefully you can understand my initial concern .

Also, in case anyone is wondering...

This is from Keyframe Magazine:

"Entrapta was designed to be older but still stands a head below teenaged Adora, says Geiger, adding, "I hope girls with dwarfism or who are just shorter than the average can be excited to see themselves reflected in her."
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

I agree with other's comments that Scorpia is must likely the general age of all the other main princess characters.

I've recently discovered other fan groups on Facebook for the new She-Ra reboot and those fans are a whole new breed and generation of fans. They are way more focused on "shipping" the different characters together and the "feels" of the overall story line. They do not appear to be as concerned about the background story or canon that goes along with She-Ra. I must admit, it's very different and I kind of find it refreshing. It's a new generation of fans and we original fans over 30/35 don't really need to "get it", cause I certainly don't! LOL
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

I'm enjoying it for what it is, it's more light hearted and breezy than I envisaged, I think for me personally dc motu is my " go to" for he man and she ra, and 200x is a close second, but for the most part I've enjoyed each season and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes my concern with the ages of scorpia and catra was precisely because of the age and malleability of the new fan base and target demographic

Sent from my KOB-L09 using Tapatalk

Heroic Warrior
    Good point. I guess because of her ... immaturity, I didn’t read Scorpia as being a lot older than Catra and Adora, but she does seem to be part of the older Force Captains (along with Octavia, Grizzlor and ... lizard guy). They could just be one year older? Or one “class” ahead?

I probably had more of a sense of a bigger age difference between Mermista and Sea Hawk, although that was hard to get a good “read” on, especially as Sea Hawk talks about past adventures like he’s been active for many years. But, that could all be “talk” and he’s actually just a year or two older than most of the Princess Alliance (including Mermista who seems to be the most “mature” of the princesses).

I thought this thread was going to be more about Catra’s manipulation and mistreatment of Scorpia, rather than a conceived age difference.

Or he's had a VERY busy past couple of years.

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    I find it a bit baffling that people might seriously object to Scorpia having a crush on Catra because of a perceived age difference (which we don't know, and even if we knew, it's pretty clear Catra is already biologically "of age", and Scorpia too, and other considerations are completely culturally dependent/culturally biased), whereas no objections seem to be raised at all about the fact that Scorpia and Catra are members of two completely different species (that means, an eventual relationship between them would be called the B word). Nor about '"shipping" catfolk Catra with human Adora, for that matter (which, BTW, methinks it was just Catra having a crush on Adora, while Adora seems to have regarded Catra as just her (former) best friend).
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

I don't think Scorpia is much older than Cat Ra . I think it's very inappropriate for two Horde soldiers to be hooking up .

There is a time and place for everything but not during the day when you are working and certainly not with a co worker .
    Last edited by Lokus; August 12, 2019 at 06:18pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    I don't think Scorpia is much older than Cat Ra . I think it's very inappropriate for two Horde soldiers to be hooking up .

There is a time and place for everything but not during the day when you are working and certainly not with a co worker .
    It does rather look like this workplace romance is going south.

I actually never even considered the " inter species " element
    Last edited by davelove81; August 30, 2019 at 07:43pm.

I have a bigger quibble over the potential age difference between Mermista and Sea Hawk.

Sea hawk talks way too much of his past and he has had 4 or 5 ships before he joined the gang . He seems like a creepy immature middle age man . I mean compare him with Bows parents....

I have young children, so I am not really a fan of ANY romantic relationships in kid's shows. I was told that this is NOT a kid's show, so... *shrugs* We watched the first season, but my kids did not have enough interest in it to watch the next so we did not. If I were to be honest they prefer reading to TV. I know, it is shocking - LOL!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

Quote Originally Posted by davelove81 View Post
    I actually never even considered the " inter species " element regardless , they're all blind for not fancying entrapta

Well Scorpia and Catra are both teens you know and nothing wrong with interspecies couples/relationships between two teens like in Voltron Legendary Defender on Hunk being a 17 year old human boy and Shay being the same age as him as she is a Xeno (extraterrestrial) or between two consenting adults like say Mr Peanutbutter and Diane/Bojack and various furry and human women/Kyle and Charolette (human man and furry deer woman) on Bojack Horseman, the 80s Beauty and the Beast series's Vincent and Catherine (remember that one?), Hana and the Wolfman (the title kids's parents being a human woman and a wolfman) in Wolf Children (Ever seen that excellent 2012 Japanese animated fantasy drama from Madhouse?), Charlene and Vinnie on Biker Mice from Mars (human woman and xeno mouse man), Hatton Slayden's artworks of human males with furry/xeno women, Star Trek, Star Wars, Vastra and Jenny on Doctor Who, Regular Show (Eillen and Rigby a mole person and a raccoon person, Margaret's parents being a human man and a cardinal woman to Skips and Mona being a human woman and a ape man to CJ and Mordecai a cloud person and a bird person), Marvel comics (Hepzibah and Corsair to Lilandra, a xeno woman and a mutant named Xavier and more), the elf princess and Abe in Hellboy 2, Eliza and Goliath/Demona and Macbeth in Gargoyles, Alien Nation's Cathy and Matt, Mass Effect and more. Hell i even have a friend who has a story series where Minerva Mink has a relationship with a human male and both are adults.

Afterall Xenos (extraterrestrials or magical creature folks), furries (animal anthro humanoid folk you seen in furry artworks and all), cyborgs/androids and mutants are all people who are different and races of beings in stories.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Well Scorpia and Catra are both teens you know and nothing wrong with interspecies couples/relationships between two teens like in Voltron Legendary Defender on Hunk being a 17 year old human boy and Shay being the same age as him as she is a Xeno (extraterrestrial) or between two consenting adults like say Mr Peanutbutter and Diane/Bojack and various furry and human women/Kyle and Charolette (human man and furry deer woman) on Bojack Horseman, the 80s Beauty and the Beast series's Vincent and Catherine (remember that one?), Hana and the Wolfman (the title kids's parents being a human woman and a wolfman) in Wolf Children (Ever seen that excellent 2012 Japanese animated fantasy drama from Madhouse?), Charlene and Vinnie on Biker Mice from Mars (human woman and xeno mouse man), Hatton Slayden's artworks of human males with furry/xeno women, Star Trek, Star Wars, Vastra and Jenny on Doctor Who, Regular Show (Eillen and Rigby a mole person and a raccoon person, Margaret's parents being a human man and a cardinal woman to Skips and Mona being a human woman and a ape man to CJ and Mordecai a cloud person and a bird person), Marvel comics (Hepzibah and Corsair to Lilandra, a xeno woman and a mutant named Xavier and more), the elf princess and Abe in Hellboy 2, Eliza and Goliath/Demona and Macbeth in Gargoyles, Alien Nation's Cathy and Matt, Mass Effect and more. Hell i even have a friend who has a story series where Minerva Mink has a relationship with a human male and both are adults.

Afterall Xenos (extraterrestrials or magical creature folks), furries (animal anthro humanoid folk you seen in furry artworks and all), cyborgs/androids and mutants are all people who are different and races of beings in stories.
    Mmm, actually, no, it's not at all the same thing being different races and being different species.

People in modern Western cultures have this strong taboo against relationships between adults and "underage" people (regardless of the fact that the age of consent is not an absolute and varies widely from one country to the next, and regardless of whether the "underage" person is biologically sexually mature or not; both cases are subsumed under the same P-word label). It is this social taboo what causes the OP to feel uneasy, rather than the fact that Scorpia and Catra are members of totally different species. But this taboo, in particular its being based on a legally-established arbitrary age limit rather than the natural biological one, is exclusively a modern Western thing, that has not existed in most human societies, including the Classical Greco-Roman world (where relationships between younger and older men, both of biological sexual-maturity age, were not only not frowned upon, but actually strongly socially encouraged, and girls were expected to become eligible for marriage just as soon as they reached their biological sexual maturity).

My point is that there are far greater objective reasons for there to be a taboo against interspecies relationships than against between two biologically sexually-mature individuals of the same species. And there is a strong taboo, in fact, against interspecies relationships (which is called the B-word), but it appears it only applies when there is also a difference in sapience and that people watching TV series and reading comics where anthropomorphic non-human sapient species appear, with an intelligence and behavior similar to that of humans, tend to perceive these as "people" (i.e., as if they were merely just humans in a kind of "animal cosplay"), rather than realizing that they are supposed to actually be a totally different biological species and that, if those were really real, interspecies attraction would be most likely subject to a stronger taboo than our modern Western taboo against the P-word.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

I don't find it inappropriate, I just don't understand why it was randomly thrown into the show. It makes no sense actually because I think Scorpia should have been more like an older sister to Catra and Adora than a potential love interest.

What's even more baffling is that the show had a perfectly good chance to depict an accepted (fan canon) LGBTQ relationship with Netossa and Spinnerella, but oddly they are conveniently left out of this show. There are still more episodes to go, but it doesn't look like they will be featured in any meaningful way.

I'm surprised Netossa isn't a bigger role so far, but I am guessing Netossa and Spinnerella will get their own major focus episode like Bow's dads. Spinnerella having Noelle Stevenson as the voice actor probably means Spinny will never be a big role. I'm not a big fan of the hinting of Adora/Catra (raised together at young age) and Scorpia/Catra having more than just friendship feelings or sister-like bonds on the show, but the writers & artists for the show seem to encourage ships.

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    Mmm, actually, no, it's not at all the same thing being different races and being different species.

People in modern Western cultures have this strong taboo against relationships between adults and "underage" people (regardless of the fact that the age of consent is not an absolute and varies widely from one country to the next, and regardless of whether the "underage" person is biologically sexually mature or not; both cases are subsumed under the same P-word label). It is this social taboo what causes the OP to feel uneasy, rather than the fact that Scorpia and Catra are members of totally different species. But this taboo, in particular its being based on a legally-established arbitrary age limit rather than the natural biological one, is exclusively a modern Western thing, that has not existed in most human societies, including the Classical Greco-Roman world (where relationships between younger and older men, both of biological sexual-maturity age, were not only not frowned upon, but actually strongly socially encouraged, and girls were expected to become eligible for marriage just as soon as they reached their biological sexual maturity).

My point is that there are far greater objective reasons for there to be a taboo against interspecies relationships than against between two biologically sexually-mature individuals of the same species. And there is a strong taboo, in fact, against interspecies relationships (which is called the B-word), but it appears it only applies when there is also a difference in sapience and that people watching TV series and reading comics where anthropomorphic non-human sapient species appear, with an intelligence and behavior similar to that of humans, tend to perceive these as "people" (i.e., as if they were merely just humans in a kind of "animal cosplay"), rather than realizing that they are supposed to actually be a totally different biological species and that, if those were really real, interspecies attraction would be most likely subject to a stronger taboo than our modern Western taboo against the P-word.
    But isn't when a 17 year old dates an 18 year old and if both are in high school it's ok if both are late teens? like when i was turning 17 i had an 18 year old friend who dated a 17 year old in high school. And someone said Scorpia is 18 and Catra is 17.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

I thought Scorpia was at least in her 20s...and from what I've seen, Catra and Adora are both teenagers. So yeah, Scorpia's whole crush on Catra does feel kinda unsettling.

But isn't when a 17 year old dates an 18 year old and if both are in high school it's ok if both are late teens? like when i was turning 17 i had an 18 year old friend who dated a 17 year old in high school. And someone said Scorpia is 18 and Catra is 17.
    I'm having Michael Bay flashbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    I have young children, so I am not really a fan of ANY romantic relationships in kid's shows. I was told that this is NOT a kid's show, so... *shrugs* We watched the first season, but my kids did not have enough interest in it to watch the next so we did not. If I were to be honest they prefer reading to TV. I know, it is shocking - LOL!
    So you never kiss your husband when your kids are around? There is nothing wrong with some mild romance and affection being shown in kids shows. It’s part of everyday life and a very normal thing for kids to see.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Orko the Great View Post
    I thought Scorpia was at least in her 20s...and from what I've seen, Catra and Adora are both teenagers. So yeah, Scorpia's whole crush on Catra does feel kinda unsettling.
    Noelle has confirmed that Adora is 17, and the show itself has shown us that Catra and Adora are the same age.

Scorpia being 18 or 19 is an 'educated guess' based on the series' onscreen presentation of her character and what we know of her backstory, but nothing has emerged to contradict it.