Thread: Some general questions about vintage MOTU

Some general questions about vintage MOTU

Sorry admins, I had no luck with the advanced search. I tried, and I kept it simple. It came back with zero results.

(1) Does hydrogen peroxide damage soft heads? My whiplash has a darkened head, and I was wondering if it could/should be restored with HP or not.

(2) Is it common for Man-E-Faces to have like 12 different shades of blue? Seriously, both arms are slightly different colors, both different from the head area, and all different from the crotch. And all of those are different from the legs. Like, really noticeably different. Is this a common problem? I've seen others that look this way, and I've seen some that don't. Any help would be appreciated. I'm wondering if there might be a way to fix it.

(3) Those replacement leg bands on e-bay, are there some that are junk? I thought they were supposed to be rubber, but all the photos of lots I see on e-bay appear to be made of plastic. They're all shiny, and they look to have little strands of plastic all over them, the way strands appear when plastic is melting and you draw it out. Like little plastic hairs all over the place. Is there a reputable seller on e-bay that sells rubber leg bands that you guys can recommend?

answered see comments 2,4 & 5.

(4) In the .org archives the Road Ripper entry has a scan of the sticker sheets and the instructions. The sticker labeled 10 is nowhere to be found on the instructions. They never tell you where to place it. My R.R. doesn't have this sticker placed anywhere on it. Does anyone here have a Ripper that has this sticker? How is it placed?

answered see comments 9 & 10.

(5) I've looked on youtube and can't find an answer for this. Is there a way to fix the waist twist feature if the spring is not broken, but it has just come loose from one of its two posts?

(6) What do customizers among you use to paint the soft heads? I've used acrylics in the past but they never get past the tacky stage; they remain sticky indefinitely. Help would be appreciated greatly on this one, because I'm doing what I can to restore my childhood Webstor figure, and his face needs a touch up. His waist twist is no longer working, but it feels like it might be just disconnected at the bottom. If I can get this armless Webstor looking good, it would be cool to hunt down his missing parts, because he's the only surviving figure from my childhood. I also have the Panthor with the pink patch as mentioned above, which I'd like to restore (probably will require a re-flocking which most likely won't happen), and my vintage Stridor with zero stickers, no tail, no helmet and no front guns. I may try to track down a vintage Stridor sticker sheet, as opposed to a repro, but repro may be the only feasible option. I have a complete Stridor that I bought as an adult, so I could just swap the missing parts over if I could find the stickers. But Webstor is the one I really care about. He was one of my absolute favorites as a kid, and I don't currently have one at all besides this armless wonder here. I would rather restore him and replace the missing parts, than to buy a complete one online. For one thing I can't afford that, and for another, there are so little of my childhood MOTU toys remaining that having him in my display collection would mean so much more than just buying someone else's childhood toy. In other words, I REALLY would appreciate any advice on painting the soft heads, and maybe fixing the waist twist, if that is even possible.
    Last edited by nicholighkun; August 16, 2019 at 11:25pm.

3.) some bands are 3D printed some are cast. The cast one are better in my opinion.

2.) No, not really. Just do a light dry brush of blue paint over all the blue to make it match closer (and of course a matte clear coat to seal the paint on)

1.) Not sure, I'm surprised the soft head is not already hard, since it changed color.

Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    3.) some bands are 3D printed some are cast. The cast one are better in my opinion.
    I've been asking questions to the guy who's selling them, and he's pretty much won me over. I'm still a little uneasy about the way they look, but he's been doing this since 2017 he says, and he also seems to be pretty dedicated to quality. They aren't that expensive, so it's no terrible loss. My main concern was if they would react poorly to the figure plastic over time. But he says they're a mix of rubber (which the original bands were made of) and plastic. It's thermoplastic elastomer. He thinks the vintage legs could be made of thermoplastic because of their mixed rigidity and bendability. It's looking pretty safe. But all the ones I've seen in youtube videos were rubber, so I'm still a little confused that I can't find any on e-bay that appear to be made of rubber.

I've tried the 3D printed ones, and I've ruined them while trying to insert them.

Mod Note: Please no links to live auctions.

Heroic Warrior
    Try this guy for rubber replacement leg bands. $1 each plus $4 shipping (which covers 1 to 1000 pieces).
    https://www.he-man.org/news_article.php?id=7494
    Last edited by whakojacko; August 14, 2019 at 05:25pm.

Thank you guys. I wish I would have seen these before I ordered mine. Maybe I can get a refund.

Those prices though. I definitely want the 2.0 version, and those aren't $1 each and $4 shipping. That e-bay lot is high. That's nearly $40 with shipping for only 10 bands!

Everything's a racket. I can't swing that cost right now, and I don't want to put inferior bands in my figures, only to have to replace them later. Uugh. So frustrating. But thanks for the help, none the less.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm really disappointed not to hear any feedback on question (4) about the mysterious Road Ri'cker (Ripper + sticker = Ricker). Is there a section of the instruction sheet that wasn't scanned for the .org archives? Was there actually an un-used sticker printed on every single Road Ripper produced? Is there anyone who has this sticker placed somewhere on their sample? Surely these questions can be answered.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholighkun View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

I'm really disappointed not to hear any feedback on question (4) about the mysterious Road Ri'cker (Ripper + sticker = Ricker). Is there a section of the instruction sheet that wasn't scanned for the .org archives? Was there actually an un-used sticker printed on every single Road Ripper produced? Is there anyone who has this sticker placed somewhere on their sample? Surely these questions can be answered.
    Attachment 121073
    Looks like they belong toward the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by whakojacko View Post
    Attachment 121073
    Looks like they belong toward the rear.
    Unfortunately that's not the sticker I'm talking about. It's numbered 10 on the sticker sheet on the he-man.org archives entry for the Ripper.

I do have a couple new questions though. I'll post them in the opening post (5) and (6).

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholighkun View Post
    Unfortunately that's not the sticker I'm talking about. It's numbered 10 on the sticker sheet on the he-man.org archives entry for the Ripper.

I do have a couple new questions though. I'll post them in the opening post (5) and (6).
    It is sticker #10. It’s above the rear wheel on the right side of the picture. The colors are just off.
    Attachment 121073
    Attachment 121074
    Last edited by whakojacko; August 16, 2019 at 11:03pm.

Quote Originally Posted by whakojacko View Post
    It is sticker #10. It’s above the rear wheel on the right side of the picture. The colors are just off.
    Attachment 121073
    Attachment 121074
    Wow. I guess you're right. I wonder why it is yellow on the scans, but orange on the Ripper? That's confusing. But thank you for solving that mystery! : D Now I can sleep at night!

- - - Updated - - -

Apologies', but the embed feature isn't working right now. I'll try again later.

Does anyone know if this works with standard figures, or is it just the Battle Armors? Start @ 2:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2zHvVZL9hA