Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: 'He-Man and the Masters of the Multiverse' 6-Issue Limited Series from DC Comics!

Just got my copy today. I ordered it last November. Given the price and that the Thundercats/MOTU TPD was hardcover, but this one isn't, I hope I'm not disappointed with the story, as eluded to above.

TPB.jpg

"I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

I will say the quality of this trade is my favorite of the one's DC has released so far... I love the satin finish and the pages aren't annoyingly glossy. It has a nice feel in hand, which I wasn't expecting. It's also a miracle it's not damaged- Amazon just threw it into a large padded envelope with absolutely no other packing materials (cardboard backer, shrink wrap, etc.).

Widget
    I love that they included Tappers He-Man. It seemed like there was a deliberate attempt to capture the fun of the Spider-verse movie, and I think they did a great job. With a story like this, you want to draw on as many continuities as possible to make the most of the premise. I also love that his fate was probably not what most people expected for the weird little mobile game comic relief He-Man.

I think this series will be a great inspiration for lots of people playing the upcoming Legends of Grayskull RPG, which seems to have the concept of multiple universes baked into it right out of the box. Other than that, this might be the last non-Netflix fiction we see for a while. Which is sad, because DC doing their own thing has given us some great books. But at least they went out on a high note.

I just finished reading the comic and it was pretty fun overall. The... permanence of the ending (if you know what I mean if you've read it) was more than a bit weird for a series that otherwise seemed to want to celebrate the history of the franchise, but any future installments could ignore that.

Otherwise, my only real complaint is more of a meta complaint. Between this comic, the big DC series, and the Injustice one, it seems like every He-Man story in the last decade is about the ultimate final battle to determine the fate of absolutely everything. One of the reasons I'm not excited for the upcoming Revelation series is because it, too, was pitched with the idea that it's a culmination of everything that led up to it.

Don't get me wrong, each of these stories has done something cool with it in their own way and I love those things, but it's unfortunately shallow in the long run. One of the reasons I really enjoyed reading through the minicomic and newspaper comic compilations is that each one made the world a little larger, surprising even me with how much more there was out there that I didn't know about, and I've been championing the depth of Masters of the Universe lore since this site introduced me to that depth. I'm itching more than ever to see a new ongoing series that can give us many stories within the universe without having to be the story to end all stories.
    Last edited by Master Jokubas; September 4, 2020 at 10:48pm.

I agree, and that's an issue with superhero comics in general the past decade or so. We used to get big events and crossovers like that fairly regularly, but it's gotten to the point where every run on every superhero comic is THE ULTIMATE BATTLE! THE STAKES HAVE NEVER BEEN HIGHER! THINGS WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AGAIN!!! Those proclamations are nothing new, but it's become the norm for damn near every series. There's no down time where you can simply enjoy the status quo and watch the characters go about their business, dealing with enemies and situations that don't threaten to end the world. I mean, I enjoy those stories when they're done well, but I don't want them to be all we get all the time. That's why, more and more, I find myself spending more time reading older material and the DC digital-first series. They've been a consistent source of good, solid superhero stories in recent months. There's the occasional clunker, but by and large, I've enjoyed them, especially the Mark Russell-written issues of Batman: Gotham Nights. That and the recent BTAS comic have been a nice break from the never-ending apocalypse that's been going on in the Batman titles for the past decade.

So yeah, that's just a long-winded way of saying I'm right there with ya.

Yeah, I could definitely do with some "smaller" adventures in the next comic series... House Of Shokoti, Rise Of The Snakemen, Secret Of The Sword type of stories/arcs.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    Yeah, I could definitely do with some "smaller" adventures in the next comic series... House Of Shokoti, Rise Of The Snakemen, Secret Of The Sword type of stories/arcs.
    Yeah, I don't get this trend where every single issue has to build up to some massive, cataclysmic event.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Yeah, I don't get this trend where every single issue has to build up to some massive, cataclysmic event.
    Grabs more people's attention and increases sales even if it leads to eventual reader fatigue and distain like the above comments. Psychologically its kind of similar to negative news versus positive news the human brains gravitate towards the negative even though we say we hate it and want positive stuff instead. News organizations know this and keep feeding us negative stuff because it gets more views and thus more ad revenue.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Jokubas View Post

Otherwise, my only real complaint is more of a meta complaint. Between this comic, the big DC series, and the Injustice one, it seems like every He-Man story in the last decade is about the ultimate final battle to determine the fate of absolutely everything. One of the reasons I'm not excited for the upcoming Revelation series is because it, too, was pitched with the idea that it's a culmination of everything that led up to it.
    I agree 100%.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Waters View Post
    This was a terrible story. It started out with such great promise, and promptly flushed itself down the toilet. It only got worse with each ensuing issue and the finish was as underwhelming as the previous five issues. The art was less thank lackluster (and with that statement, I just insulted lackluster art), the story was uninspired, and the scripting was juvenile.
    When I was 23 I came up with a similar synopsis back in 2001 for CrossGen Comics, which was asking for submissions, but I never sent it because it read like fan fiction. I was ripping off The Kingdom from 1998 and Marv Wolfman's 1985 Crisis.
    Have a feeling Tim Seeley was "inspired" by Spider-Verse. Granted I love all these plots, and that's why they make a lot of money. But, boy, are they juvenile.
    And multiverse was literally done before with DC MOTU series already.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    You know I myself have been wondering why Shokoti was not used more often. A shame really. Come to think of it, has this character ever been used elsewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    Just got my copy today. I ordered it last November. Given the price and that the Thundercats/MOTU TPD was hardcover, but this one isn't, I hope I'm not disappointed with the story, as eluded to above.
    Yeah, I have been avoiding this thread for some time now because I was waiting for the TPB to release...

I haven't read much yet, but flipping through it the painted covers are beautiful, but the artwork looks very rushed and rather sloppy...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thor View Post
    You know I myself have been wondering why Shokoti was not used more often. A shame really. Come to think of it, has this character ever been used elsewhere?
    Nope. Aside from being turned into an action figure for the first time in Classics and having a bio written for the packaging, Shokoti has never appeared again in comics, cartoon, or toy form.

I just got the TPB. Looking forward to reading it!
    For the Honor, for the Glory, for the Power of GRAYSKULL!!!

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by thor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74
    Nope. Aside from being turned into an action figure for the first time in Classics and having a bio written for the packaging, Shokoti has never appeared again in comics, cartoon, or toy form.
    She's been referenced in several Classics bios, in addition to her own bio.
    I mean, it's not the same as being in a cartoon or comic story (which would be incredible to see), but they are canonical and official as far as the Classics bios/minicomics go.

I think there are a couple more outside of this, but here are some of them:

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    I mean, it's not the same as being in a cartoon or comic story (which would be incredible to see), but they are canonical and official as far as the Classics bios/minicomics go.

https://i0.wp.com/thefwoosh.com/wp-c...hokoti-bio.jpg

https://www.he-man.org/assets/images...ue-01_full.png

https://www.he-man.org/assets/images...ditztroyer.jpg

https://www.he-man.org/assets/images.../darklings.jpg
    Thanks for that Penny.
    I always love the two part Filmation episode with Shokoti. Ram Man is so hilarious there too.

Kinda wondering why Super7 logo is on Lord Masque though?

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post

https://i0.wp.com/thefwoosh.com/wp-c...hokoti-bio.jpg

https://www.he-man.org/assets/images...ue-01_full.png

https://www.he-man.org/assets/images...ditztroyer.jpg

https://www.he-man.org/assets/images.../darklings.jpg
    Let's say Shokoti were to be used in some upcoming media, whether it be DC comics or the new tv shows - would Mattel then have perpetual access to her character despite being a Filmation creation?

Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    Thanks for that Penny.
    I always love the two part Filmation episode with Shokoti. Ram Man is so hilarious there too.

Kinda wondering why Super7 logo is on Lord Masque though?

Yes Ram Man was hilarious. Clearly had a speech impediment when trying to say Shokoti's name correctly
    That episode was one of the more mature writings the show had considering the time it was written for.

If done properly, and wanted to target a more mature audience, that could be done in a more horror style.

Actually, there were the occasional episodes that you may not notice as a child, but as a adult there are the odd episode one can pick the more mature themes in the entire MOTU series.

My copy of the complete Masters Of The Multiverse arrived in the mail this morning, it was actually on my doorstep as soon as I opened the front door!
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post

TPB.jpg

https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...1&d=1599001622
    Hi, got the same hardcover, i normally get the individual comics, i never noticed in the book where it states part six? I know there isnt anything missing as there is a start and finish but thought that was odd. Am i missing something?
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

Due to the pandemic, my local comics shop wasn't able to provide my pre order for the series after being forced to close down. Thankfully I was lucky enough to get the trade paperback from a local bookshop via online. Will hate it if missed out on this.

By the power of Grayskull!!!!

My copy of the TPB came in the mail today! Although the first few pages had the top corner torn off for some damn reason. So I'll eventually pick up another one and this one will be "the spare". It thankfully doesn't affect anything significant but it's rather annoying.

Anyways, I'd only managed to pick up issues #1 and 4 of this series individually, so this was one I was very much looking forward to. I really liked it a lot! There were a ton of great homages, as expected, but also a lot of unexpected twists right up until the end. I very much liked how the final issue tied in with the ending of "The Eternity War" and making the finale of that plotline relevant to this one. My wife and I read it together and she very much enjoyed this as well.

"Space He-Man. You're ridiculous." Hey, when you're right...

Having now read ALL of DC's MOTU output, I have to say that I really enjoyed almost everything they put out. Much of it wasn't what I would have done but was handled well regardless. The only thing in the entire catalog that felt weak was some of the DCU vs. MOTU crossover, everything else was really solid. If this series was the end of the DC/MOTU partnership, as I suspect it might be, then it was a great way to tie everything up and a high point to go out on.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Court Magician
    I still want He-Man to be an eventual guest in Injustice 3, but Masters of The Multiverse does have a very distinct ďGrand FinaleĒ vibe to it. There are some concepts I would love to see more of (The He-Man family in the vein of the Shazam family from one reality) but itís a solid ending and a celebration of He-Manís history, warts and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynaman View Post
    I still want He-Man to be an eventual guest in Injustice 3, but Masters of The Multiverse does have a very distinct ďGrand FinaleĒ vibe to it. There are some concepts I would love to see more of (The He-Man family in the vein of the Shazam family from one reality) but itís a solid ending and a celebration of He-Manís history, warts and all.
    Storywise, I agree... but, the artwork in this book is just hideous. Sloppy, rushed and given very little love.

I am appalled that a better set of pencillers weren't used for this big of a story.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Storywise, I agree... but, the artwork in this book is just hideous. Sloppy, rushed and given very little love.

I am appalled that a better set of pencillers weren't used for this big of a story.
    Iíll be the first to admit I miss Freddie Williams' art.

Eh, the art looked fine to me. ((Shrug))

And while it seems unlikely at this point, I'd be all-in for He-Man and a few others in Injustice 3. Whether or not it ever happens, you know it was definitely a conversation at some point. I mean I doubt they all did the Injustice/MOTU comic just because they were really, really bored. There had to be a bigger purpose, there. Whether anything more ever comes of it, well... we'll see.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA