Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 'He-Man and the Masters of the Multiverse' 6-Issue Limited Series from DC Comics!

Quote Originally Posted by MrGreen15 View Post
    Hey all,

I’m kinda new to MOTU, I’ve always had an interest but never went deep into it. With the new animated show, movie, and figure line around the corner I figure this is my opportunity to take a deep dive into MOTU. I’m definitely interested in this new miniseries as I’m a fan of what Multiverse story lines can bring. I’ve watched the movie and have watched some of all the different animated shows.

What can a noob like myself read or watch to better enjoy this new comic miniseries?

Thanks in advance
    I think the best " one stop shop" as far as readings concerned would be the dark horse mini comic collection, it's all the comics that came with your toys back in the day plus some of the more modern ones. Follow that up with the character guide, also available from dark horse. The entire 2002 and new adventures show are on YouTube too the best comics have been coming from dc recently, the eternity war series is epic, but if you're only just rediscovering motu I'd say pick up "he man v thundercats" followed by " injustice vs masters of the universe", it's hard to say what will or won't be important to this multiverse series but those two volumes are just pure 80s motu although having said all that, I'm sure that both " revelations" and " masters of the multiverse" ( and also the movie for that matter) will be accessible to brand new fans as well as hardcore enthusiasts, my daughters 15 and hasn't had any problem following any of the storylines from the recent dc "eternity war" series despite not knowing a thing about the old cartoons. So even if you go in blind, I'm sure the story will stand on its own two feet
    Last edited by davelove81; August 26, 2019 at 07:59am.

Thanks for all the info! It's much appreciated.

I had no idea that the 2002 and New Adventures cartoons on YouTube. Those are the ones I'm the most familiar with. I'll definitely be watching an episode during my lunch break at work. I'll also be checking out the He-Man vs Thundercats and Injustice vs MOTU comics first and branch of from there.

Thanks again!

Happy to help there are loads of people on this forum that know a lot more than me though, and the main he-man. Org site has a ton of resources and scans of comics, books, box arts etc, check out the " collecting" and " publishing" sections. Hope you have as much fun returning to eternia as I've been having

Out there somewhere, and floating in a most peculiar way...
    Have the DC comics gotten any better? I gave up after Giffen's original six issue miniseries, and because I disliked that so much never went back for the series that followed (as he was still writer for the first arc at least). But I have been curious if it ever improved...
    My momma said, to get things done
    you'd better not mess with Major Tom...

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    Have the DC comics gotten any better? I gave up after Giffen's original six issue miniseries, and because I disliked that so much never went back for the series that followed (as he was still writer for the first arc at least). But I have been curious if it ever improved...
    Yes. The modern DC Comics got better as the Despara storyarc unfolded and King Grayskull backstort.
    One jumping on point is issue #13. Or Eternity War #1.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Yes. The modern DC Comics got better as the Despara storyarc unfolded and King Grayskull backstort.
    One jumping on point is issue #13. Or Eternity War #1.
    Agreed. Once Dan Abnett came on board, the quality of the writing improved a thousand fold. Giffen was a hack.

Quote Originally Posted by davelove81 View Post
    Happy to help there are loads of people on this forum that know a lot more than me though, and the main he-man. Org site has a ton of resources and scans of comics, books, box arts etc, check out the " collecting" and " publishing" sections. Hope you have as much fun returning to eternia as I've been having
    I'll be sure to check out the material on this site. I'm really excited that MOTU is getting so much love right now. I'm hyped about the Origins line in particular as I love all kinds of action figures. I wish I had the chance to pick up the SDCC exclusive this year, but I'll for sure be on top of the Origins line once it hits shelves.

Out there somewhere, and floating in a most peculiar way...
    Cheers. I guess I'll finally go back and start again from the Abnett run, at least.
    My momma said, to get things done
    you'd better not mess with Major Tom...

Have to say I am excited about the Multiverse approach. Classics-canon is Mattel's attempt at performing the Crisis on Infinite Eternias on the various contradictory vintage (and 200x) plot threads. I respect the attempt, but Teela's origin will always be as portrayed in The Tale of Teela mini-comics. The origins of Tri-klops, Trap Jaw, Ram-man and Man-E-faces likewise.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    Have to say I am excited about the Multiverse approach. Classics-canon is Mattel's attempt at performing the Crisis on Infinite Eternias on the various contradictory vintage (and 200x) plot threads. I respect the attempt, but Teela's origin will always be as portrayed in The Tale of Teela mini-comics. The origins of Tri-klops, Trap Jaw, Ram-man and Man-E-faces likewise.
    Those are some of my absolute favourite minicomics, although I wouldn't really call the tri klops, ram man and trapjaw ones "origins", I think they're more like " first encounters". But I absolutely adore those texiera mini comics also in relation to the multiverse series, and I know this is a pipe dream and highly unlikely, but how cool would it be if each " eternia" was drawn by returning artists from that particular era? Or at least the covers?

Quote Originally Posted by davelove81 View Post
    Those are some of my absolute favourite minicomics, although I wouldn't really call the tri klops, ram man and trapjaw ones "origins", I think they're more like " first encounters". But I absolutely adore those texiera mini comics also in relation to the multiverse series, and I know this is a pipe dream and highly unlikely, but how cool would it be if each " eternia" was drawn by returning artists from that particular era? Or at least the covers?
    Getting the original artist is an awesome idea even for cover art only or maybe a couple of pages..

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    I respect the attempt, but Teela's origin will always be as portrayed in The Tale of Teela mini-comics.
    For you personally.

Majority other official media treated it the way Filmation, UK Comics and 2002 cartoon etc; no clone business.

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

For you personally.

Majority other official media treated it the way Filmation, UK Comics and 2002 cartoon etc; no clone business.
    Are you sure you know what you're talking about?
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    Are you sure you know what you're talking about?
    If the man says no clone business, then there is no clone business. She's the Sorceress' daughter.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    If the man says no clone business, then there is no clone business. She's the Sorceress' daughter.
    I'm 99.9% sure Wakko is just joking. lol! We all know that Jukka knows his stuff.
    But yeah, I believe the clone idea was only used in the wave 2 DC-produced minicomics and then revived for the Classics canon.
    I absolutely LOVE those wave 2 minicomics a lot, as they were the first minicomics I read (and some of the best written ones, IMO), but that "Teela as clone of the Sorceress/Goddess who will merge together as one" idea was something I never got behind at all. I imagine Gary Cohn was simply trying to justify the fact that the same figure could be used as both the Sorceress/Goddess and Teela, but I just felt that it sort of diminished both characters somehow. It's similar to how I feel about Demo-Man merging with Skeletor. I was never a fan of that story idea either, as it kind of lessens both characters in a way.

Of course, with the cool multiverse approach of this upcoming series, it's entirely possible that we'll see both takes on Teela. We could see the clone AND the biological daughter, depending on which universes are shown!
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; September 1, 2019 at 10:47pm.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    I'm really excited about this new miniseries! I love that Anti-Eternia He-Man is the "Big Bad" in this story, which is an awesome idea. I also love that we'll see the different eras of MOTU represented in their own distinct universes!
    Yup me too!! Loving ALL these versions of our heroes and a multiverse is the best way to preserve them all and keep most fans at the very least content with all the differing ‘verses’ at this point, imo.

I figure it has something to do with being exposed to Castle Hellskull/Hell Grayskull. Maybe being inside it/around it for prolonged periods causes the shadow effect and red eyes to happen? It'd be kind if cool if the comic addresses it.
    And yes! I like this explanation! Cheers!!! 👍

...and lastly I agree with all these comments thus far. ✌️
    – No comment.

I'm 99.9% sure Wakko is just joking. lol! We all know that Jukka knows his stuff.
    Yup, totally kidding. When it comes to MOTU, I don't question the Great Eatock. I was actually riffing on one of his Facebook posts where someone questioned his knowledge of the cartoon. He said it was "cute."
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    Yup, totally kidding. When it comes to MOTU, I don't question the Great Eatock.
    Appreciate you (for second time) mixing me up with James.

Though I've had my share of folks doubting some info I've provided in the past, I think James has had it much, much worse (so don't envy him for that bit)...

Appreciate you (for second time) mixing me up with James.

Though I've had my share of folks doubting some info I've provided in the past, I think James has had it much, much worse (so don't envy him for that bit)...
    Ugh, my bad! You two ARE like the two reigning MOTU cartoon afficionadoes though... So forgive my ignorance!

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    It's similar to how I feel about Demo-Man merging with Skeletor. I was never a fan of that story idea either, as it kind of lessens both characters in a way.
    Why do you feel it lessens the characters? I think the idea of Skeletor being Keldor possessed by Demo-Man introduces a deep complexity to the character. Because now, there are storyline potentials involving the internal struggle for the control of the body: is Demo-Man's spirit the one in control, or Keldor's, or both simultaneously, or both alternatingly? And then, the conundrum of whose ethical responsibility should each of Skeletor's actions be assigned to? Should his evil acts be attributed to the malignancy of Demo-Man while Keldor's spirit would remain essentially exonarated from that ethical responsibility if he wasn't really in control of his body? Or could it be that the possession might actually end up corrupting Keldor's spirit himself so that he would be as ethically responsible as Demo-Man, or actually the main one responsible (if Demo-Man turned out to exert just an influence on Skeletor's actions but not his actual ultimate control). So should the time come that Skeletor's possession were to be exorcized and his body returned to his previous state as Keldor, could Keldor somehow achieve redemption (even if only at his deathbed, since such an exorcism would probably imply his death)?
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

But yeah, I believe the clone idea was only used in the wave 2 DC-produced minicomics and then revived for the Classics canon.
    I absolutely LOVE those wave 2 minicomics a lot, as they were the first minicomics I read (and some of the best written ones, IMO), but that "Teela as clone of the Sorceress/Goddess who will merge together as one" idea was something I never got behind at all. I imagine Gary Cohn was simply trying to justify the fact that the same figure could be used as both the Sorceress/Goddess and Teela, but I just felt that it sort of diminished both characters somehow. It's similar to how I feel about Demo-Man merging with Skeletor. I was never a fan of that story idea either, as it kind of lessens both characters in a way.

Of course, with the cool multiverse approach of this upcoming series, it's entirely possible that we'll see both takes on Teela. We could see the clone AND the biological daughter, depending on which universes are shown!
    I seriously hope we do see the Eternia Wave2 mini-comics universe with Goddess/clone Teela in the upcoming storyline.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Widget

Motu multiverse

I'm a big fan of MOTU and I have the question: do I know all versions of He-man? Someone Knows??

Heroic Warrior
    Solicitation and cover of He-Man and the Masters of the Multiverse #2 on sale December 18, 2019:

Link:
    https://www.newsarama.com/46928-dc-c...citations.html

"HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE MULTIVERSE #2
    written by TIM SEELEY
    art by DAN FRAGA and RICHARD FRIEND
    cover by INHYUK LEE
    Prince Keldor and his two He-Man comrades leap head first in to a new adventure, which is an oh-so-subtle way of telling you that we’re doing...wait for it... Space He-Man! Now the three travelers must stop the Anti-He-Man before he tears the haunted power core out of the heart of starship Eternia!
    ON SALE 12.18.19
    $3.99 US |2 OF 6|32 PAGES FC|DC"

I bet that the fans of the New Adventures of He-Man will love this! Also fingers crossed for Langella's Skeletor to make an appearance!

That cover is awesome.

By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    That cover is awesome.

Definitely one of the best covers that DC has produced for the MOTU comics!