Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Origins: Why the Hate?

Heroic Warrior

Origins: Why the Hate?

sure they might not as be great as Classics but i kind of like them. sort of a mix between old and new. so why the hate?

Heroic Warrior
    I don't think there is hate. Mostly fear. Fear that these might drive Classics out of the market. Also disinterest, as most of us already have those characters at least once.

I think some of it is people upset that Mattel isn't focusing on Classics for now, and redirecting those feelings towards MOTU Origins.

Because Mattel has shut down all the other lines that we love so that they can push them.
    Even if I thought Origins were awesome I would resent them for putting an end to Classics etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Fright Zone View Post
    Because Mattel has shut down all the other lines that we love so that they can push them.
    Even if I thought Origins were awesome I would resent them for putting an end to Classics etc.
    This^^^^^^^^
    ILLUMINA TIME! !

Yup.........
    Comedian on the matty forums.

I just find a lot of it quite childish and petty, TBH. I've seen some comments hoping for the Origins line to fail so then Mattel will see the “error of their ways” and bring Classics back. No, that's not how it works. At all. I find the sentiment very misguided and just a little selfish. If the Origins line were to fail and flop, that would be nothing but horrible for the MOTU IP as a whole. None of us want that, surely?

This is a sign that Mattel is (finally) ready to put MOTU back on the market. To see it being met with such resistance is quite a pity, actually. This line is aimed at casuals who may not even know the Classics line exists (trust me, there're a lot), and kids. I'm not really a toy collector, but a MOTU fan overall. I think this could potentially be huge for the brand (and the movie even bigger still). MOTU doesn't just belong to us, and Mattel owes us nothing.

The Classics line was awesome and it lasted far longer than anyone thought it would. Anyway, TBH, I don't think Classics is completely done just yet. However, if it never comes back, at least it’s going out with a bang with the release of Snake Mountain.
    Last edited by Krueger; August 17, 2019 at 09:09pm.

I’m actually looking forward to these to hopefully hit retail here so I can buy them for my son at a non inflated internet price!

Mattel is finally pushing a mass-retail MOTU line that is affordable, aimed at capturing some nostalgia while at the same time getting some newer, younger fans. The brand manager mentioned they are in this for the long haul with Origins. It's hard not to get excited about any of that.

While I wouldn't mind a few select additions to the Classics line at some point in the future, I've been collecting that toyline since 2008, through ALL the ups and downs, and am ready to move on.

Heroic slave of time man-at-work's Avatar
    This says it all. Personally I don't hate Origins per se, but I hate Mattel's lazy and rude strategy shutting down any other line so that theirs is the only MOTU product in the market. Classics' collectors are not mass market, so I don't think there was competition. It's simply not playing fair. I don't desire Origins to fail, but I won't buy a product I'm not interested in, and even if I had some interest because it's a line that could be of interest to my children, I won't promote it at home, because I don't like Mattel forcing this when we could have other offerings.
    Wish list of MOTUC figures: Sagitar, Red Beast, Red Shadow, Hans Hammerholder, Ra-Jar

I didn’t mind them. They weren’t for me. But now we can’t get any more Classics because of them.
    Danielsan52

Most wanted Classics figures:
    Stretch Neck, Vypor, Sharella, Secret Liquid of Life Teela, Mini-Comics Tri-Klops, Princess Rana, Golden Rod/Aramesh, RoboWoman, Prince Dakon, Shezar, NA Sorceress, Ultimate Goddess, Lt. Andra

Hard to see a lot of characters in a retail line. I see many He-Man variants.....kind of like how the last retail line went. I do not hope this fails at all. But I am not excited about these. Maybe my motu time is over as is a lot of others out there. Perhaps a whole new generation will find it to be their time. I hope they love it. But I think my part in this story is coming to and end. That does not mean I want the story to end.

As for being childish......they are toys.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

Heroic Warrior
    I think my issue for Origins is the same issue I had about Classics after collecting 200X. I didn't feel like re-starting my MOTU collection with characters in the same style as the vintage MOTU figures when we were getting characters done in individual sculpts in 200X line and there were so many characters that weren't done in the 200X toy line. What eventually won me over with Classics is as "adult collection" line, the bulk and size of the figures makes all the pass MOTU lines before it look weak and feeble, plus we of course got all the articulation we were never accustomed to in a MOTU line and we got almost every character of all parts of the mythos in the Classics line. But, with going into the Origins, as an adult collector, if definitely feels like a step back by shrinking them back to vintage size and and not being as detailed as the Classics figures. With that said, this line is not being marketed to us adults. I think Mattel is hoping that as fans, we will also purchase the line. But, the fact that these figures are being mass marketed for retail is a good thing and should not be hated on. If anything, the fact that this line is going to retail means there is a good chance that we are getting an animated series, even if it hasn't been announced. And, if for some reason there is no cartoon in site, I am looking forward to the new mini-comics to be included with the figures, so that is something to be happy about.

Court Magician
    I have no interest in this line at all I don’t like the looks of it or anything about it. I’m really upset that as usual Mattel is doing everything wrong shutting down Classics and the Funko PoPs and everything else to focus on their line. I mean the characters we are looking to get into Classics are not anything that would be showing up in Origins anytime soon.

For customers that want to buy He-Man, Teela, Skeletor, etc over again and start from scratch let them have a go but Classics we have those characters and are looking at whole different lineups that ours take years to get to in Origins.

Im a customer that would buy Sagitar, Lady Slither, Master Sebrian, Hunga, Skeleteen, etc in Classics at he drop of a hat but m not saying another line that get to the characters I’ve been waiting for.

I think there are plenty of customers in my boat that aren’t interested in starting another line and wish Mattel would see that. I’m not going to be a customer that oh Classics is done I’m going to buy this unattractive line that they slap the Masters Of The Universe Logo on and buy up every piece. Collectors Choice should be allowed to keep going it’s a niche online line and in no way affects people going into box retail to buy He-Man and the 12 back characters all over again.

I don't hate them but meh. Not interested.

Mattel is a toy company is is trying to make money. While there still are collectors who want the Classics line to continue, the reality is there are a finite number of people who are interested in a character that was on the screen that one time for two minutes. Brian Flynn even said in order to get some of those more unknown characters out they had to require a whole wave to be purchased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Widget
    Thinking on all this I get the feeling Origins and the shelving of Classics are more symptoms of Mattel renewed interest in MOTU rather than direct cause and effect. Mattel seems to be putting a lot behind the new movie, probably viewing it as a center piece/tent pole for 2021. No doubt they want control over the presentation of the property. This may be an over simplification but what message would Mattel be giving of off that when people went looking for MOTU toys, and they found all these non-Mattel ones. It would probably be similar to me when I remember IDW produces Avengers comics.

Now I am not saying this is good or that anyone has to like anything Mattel is doing, but this how Mattel has chosen to go forward with MOTU. It sucks that Classics is ending for those who cherish it, but everything has it's time. I understand the nerd rage, but I have found it pointless and tiring. Now this isn't meant to convert anyone (since I don't really care about Mattel in the long run), but look back on why you love Classics. Maybe you can find part of that in Origins, or if not there in some other line. You can dislike or find something misguided, but why waste time on directionless anger when there is so much amazing stuff out there.

I'm excited, too bad we have to wait until the end of 2020. I don't see why they can't keep running Classics, at least the last 11 for New adventures, and maybe a couple more movie figures before they end the line. Oh well. Classics had a great run.

I hope we still get that 12inch giant He-man we saw last year. (The one that was released in the past, but now with a corrected head)

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    I'm excited, too bad we have to wait until the end of 2020. I don't see why they can't keep running Classics, at least the last 11 for New adventures, and maybe a couple more movie figures before they end the line. Oh well. Classics had a great run.

I hope we still get that 12inch giant He-man we saw last year. (The one that was released in the past, but now with a corrected head)
    This exactly the remaining New Adventures Hunga, Miro, Lady Slither etc
    Last edited by motucfan4life; August 17, 2019 at 10:27pm.

Heroic Warrior
    I recently saw some pictures of the MOTU: Origins figures & am somewhat impressed by the new articulation. These seem to be aimed at new fans/collectors of the franchise, not old-skool fans like those of us on this board/forum.

I don't see these as "replacing" MOTUC. This will presumably be a line sold @ retail. And, note that the Classics line never hit regular retail stores, and was online only (I saw a handful of these at discount stores @ Big Lots years ago, but I don't count that since that's not a mainstream retail store). Also note that not every MOTU fan collected Classics. I for one never got any of these due to not liking online-only toys; also, the expense was a turn off as well - sure, I completely understood the reasoning for the higher cost - but it was too much for me.

That all being said, as much as I like the more articulated look of these forthcoming Origins figures - I'm not sure I really want to collect them - for several reasons:

-I don't want to start collecting a line that may very well get cancelled before too many figures come out - leaving me with an incomplete collection. I've gotten burned before by being enthusiastic for the 200X Art Asylum-sculpted figures - but then having the line get cancelled after about 1-2 years. More recently, this has happened with the 2019 MOTU Mega Construx line - I got enthusiastic about that earlier this summer - but now, I'm not sure if the line will continue...or, if it does, if it will be online only.

In any case, I don't want to start collecting yet another line & have the rug pulled out from under me. Screw that.

-If the line does do well & continues, it will take years to get to the more unusual figures I really want to see - if they are ever even made.

-Not knowing if there will be vehicles in the line. I would want to get the Battle Ram, Wind Raider, Roton, Point Dread, etc. (don't have the originals anymore, and never got the Classics) but if the line will just be figures & that's it, I'm not sure I want to invest in this.
    Last edited by man-e-faces; August 18, 2019 at 05:00pm.

Hate is a strong word for it, but they're a very touchy subject for me because of some specific things.

1) I don't like that Origins seems to want to go with an image of "nostalgia with some modern advantages". That's what Classics already was, and I preferred the way it compromised old and new far better. If Classics was still going, it might be different, but with Classics/Club Grayskull going on some sort of ambiguous hiatus at the same time, it doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth (and I've been burned like this elsewhere before, so I don't think it's fallacious or an unfounded fear). Also, two of the characters I still want, 200X Sorceress and Filmation Count Marzo, are an A-lister and a recurring villain respectively, so I definitely consider there to be some non-obscure life left in the line.

2) The other reason I'm uncomfortable about Origins is less about Origins directly, and more of an industry/cultural trend. This is going to be more controversial because it's very subjective, but it's something that means a lot to me. I feel like I'm seeing more and more nostalgic products that don't just recreate something we remember from the past, but recreate the way it was in the past, flaws and all. There's nothing innately wrong with that, of course, but a particular manifestation of that idea bugs me because of my memories of being a kid.

Even when I was very little, it often drove me nuts how terrible the likenesses were of various action figures, whether it was a cartoon character or an actor, and potentially all over the place articulation*. It bugged me even more when you had a bad likeness on top of completely out of left field variants and "deluxe" versions. The first time I think I legitimately appreciated an action figure was when I bought a Japanese figure around a decade ago, and was not only impressed by the likeness, but how it managed to translate a fairly extreme style into a full 3D figure. Since then, I've been seeing the potential quality going up and up across the board and I've been happy to see it (I was super impressed by the likeness on the Conan that Super7 announced).

But now I'm starting to see store shelves fill with more and more action figures that are intentionally wonky for the sake of nostalgia. Don't get me wrong here either, I've really appreciated the idea behind a lot of them, but ultimately, I just feel like we're cursing our kids to suffer inferior toys for our benefit, when we could be giving them what we always wanted but could never have.

And I'll admit, I saw the Origins in person today and I think they look all right. In a vacuum I think they're actually pretty neat, but they don't exist in a vacuum. I won't judge someone for liking them, but for me, the one thing I was excited about and spending money on is disappearing, and now the next best thing represents something that really bothers me.

* A little mini-rant I want to make about the likeness thing is that, for some reason, it seems like it's never stopped being a problem for girls' toys. The new She-Ra dolls, for instance, look pretty good, but I can't help but notice that they still have a "doll" look to them (not that they shouldn't be dolls, but they don't need to follow that standard so precisely). Like, it comes up again and again that Barbie's proportions are a bad body image to set for girls, but it hit me once when I saw a big banner at Target, that Barbie doesn't necessarily look like that to be an "ideal woman", but because they're still beholden, on some level, to the best they could do with the technology for tooling when Barbie was new. We've turned "best we could do" into a tradition that leads to some wonky design compromises, not to mention some ridiculous and unnecessary divides between "boys'" and "girls'" toys (and almost certainly led to things like Legend of Korra not getting action figures).
    Last edited by Master Jokubas; August 17, 2019 at 10:57pm.

Heroic Warrior Grayskull Guardsman's Avatar
    I was kinda neutral about them, but thought that it was great MOTU was going to be in retail again.

BUT since they are officially putting Classics on ice, I am now anti-Origins.

Does Mattel think because we can’t buy new Classics we are going to pick these up?

Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull Guardsman View Post
    I was kinda neutral about them, but thought that it was great MOTU was going to be in retail again.

BUT since they are officially putting Classics on ice, I am now anti-Origins.

Does Mattel think because we can’t buy new Classics we are going to pick these up?
    Great point, but we are adults, and we can spend money on both if we want. Personally I would still buy classics for me, and Origins for my my grandson, and a few for me.

(To me Classics are my Hot Toys versions of the characters, Hot toys vs regular action figures, 2 different markets.)

With all do respect but I think people who keep thinking like that are a bunch of self centered cry babies!

I want Classics (and other MOTU lines) to continue no doubt, but if Origins succeed, we could see a lot of other MOTU IPs continuing and starting, and if it fails we might get back to where we at currently.

I don't agree myself with Mattel's decision, but resenting a new affordable line that is meant for the masses to collect is a little off putting IMHO.
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

Widget
    The following of classics on the forum appears to be toxic at face value at least, a lot of emphasis on continued delivery of minutia of detail and obscure Classics characters into 2019 for a line that effectively finished in 2016 and has been on life support ever since. Probably this is a symptom of having a full collection of complete mainstream characters for many years and not having something else to fill the gap - there is nothing else to talk about.

I think if it was viable, they would have continued MOTUC Ultimates, but for reasons never fully explained it wasn't, even though they were quite awesome in hand. I mean they could have easily put MOTUC He-man and Skeletor out to retail for sure, they could have easily done a Fisto.

The cryptic things from Super 7 indicate that they are only doing about 3000 units on each figure. It has been a real exercise in frustration and cost trying to build a basic collection of main characters from MOTUC in modern times, but I found once I had the basic characters, there wasn't really much desire to go overboard with clutter. Probably the biggest oversight in MOTUC is the ability to get replacement parts easily.

You would think folks would be excited that the brand is going retail and mainstream again, I think its a great thing. Will be keen to get something at retail. More than likely folks will be singing the praises of MOTUO once they realise how prices for MOTUC on ebay will spike in 2020 & 2021 as the mainstream gets back into it.