Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Origins: Why the Hate?

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    The 200X series was divisive, for sure. We called it MOTSU when it launched (Masters of the Scoliosis Universe). While I eventually warmed up to the line, the styles have not aged well. It's very dated today.

Your post seems kinda all over the place.

You want 200X in hyper articulation.

Classics was a step backwards, but you want new Classics figures.

GI Joe and TMNT will be getting all of your money, unless Classics (which you don't want because it's expensive and limited in paint and articulation) continued production.

You want MYP on Classics bucks, but you don't want something you almost already have?

Origins are new styles with added articulation, at 1/3 the price of Classics. But you don't want them because they're not like anything you already have? And you want hyper articulation but your money's tight, but you want an expensive figure with limited articulation?

This is why I hate focus groups. "I want exactly the same thing I already have, but I want something completely different from what I already have. I don't want anything new, but I don't want anything old. I want something bright red, but not red red, you know?"

You can twist and attack my thoughts all you want. There are many fans who want highly articulated MYP Characters designs to the scale of the other classics. Toyguyru said they were coming and many fans asked for them.

I still think Club Grayskull is awesome. They looked like the cartoon. I liked Classics and would still buy them. Origins I wouldn't buy. I would love MYP characters in as highly articulated figures. I NEVER SAID I wanted "HYPER" anything. I hated how the 200x toys were hunched over with hardly any articulation. Many only came as statues. Something we have never had is MYP style characters done in a highly articulated way.

Maybe I didn't state that as eloquently as I could have, but you don't have to attack my post and twist what I said. Giving some common curtesy or asking me to clarify would have been a much better way to handle yourself. I have a right to my opinion and would never go out of my way to attack yours.

Just too add; The Movie figures where released in classics. Why not the MYP Variants of the core characters? What about a MYP variants line like Club Grayskull? I think Horde Wraith, Ceratus, Prahvus, Veena, King Chooblah, Lord Dactus, Count Marzo, Dekker, and Zodak were some of the best figures in Classics.
    Last edited by T-man; March 28, 2020 at 11:33pm.
    MYP SKELETOR , Kay-la, ABC GIANTS, MYP Evil-lyn, MYP Sorceress, MYP Captain Miro, Queen Andreeno ,MYP King Randor, MYP or Dc Tri-Klops, MYP Squeeeze, General Rattlor, MYP Roboto

Quote Originally Posted by toyhandle View Post
    With the way vintage has continued to cycle back into availability in various forms, I'm certain that we'll have a return to both 200x and Classics in some fashion. Just a matter of time, but who knows how long.
    I would like to see a modern run of the New Adventures characters.

Especially because we never got to see them finished in MOTUC...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Ok can someone do a tally of hate vs non hate and l iij ke who wins

Heroic Warrior
    I think these are an easy step backwards from Classics. These seem to be some weird cross between appealing to a collector (though Classics was more appealing due to the detail) and kids (who know nothing of Masters of the Universe).

I just wish Classics had gotten the vintage package treatment that these are getting.

Quote Originally Posted by T-man View Post
    You can twist and attack my thoughts all you want. There are many fans who want highly articulated MYP Characters designs to the scale of the other classics. Toyguyru said they were coming and many fans asked for them.
    I'm certainly not attacking you, nor am I twisting your post. If anything, I'm trying to make sense of your disparate statements. Your post made no sense; you first want several things that you immediately follow up with by saying you don't want those things.

I still think Club Grayskull is awesome. They looked like the cartoon. I liked Classics and would still buy them. Origins I wouldn't buy. I would love MYP characters in as highly articulated figures. I NEVER SAID I wanted "HYPER" anything.
    Hyper (Merriam Webster definition):

hyper- prefix

Definition of hyper- (Entry 2 of 2)
    1 : above : beyond : super - hypermarket

MOTUC figures had an average of 15 points of articulation. You want even more than that, so you're requesting something like the Mondo series with 30 points of articulation. Action figures with 20 more points of articulation are known as "hyper articulated." You certainly did say you wanted hyper articulation.

Maybe I didn't state that as eloquently as I could have, but you don't have to attack my post and twist what I said. Giving some common curtesy or asking me to clarify would have been a much better way to handle yourself. I have a right to my opinion and would never go out of my way to attack yours.
    Again, I didn't attack your post, nor did I "twist" anything you said. I pointed out that your post made no sense, then enumerated those points in a cohesive manner that you could respond to with clarification, which you've as yet have failed to do. Eloquence has nothing to do with it; it was as though Two-Bad wrote your post.

I wouldn't attack your opinion, either, nor have I. If you're going to bring up "courtesy," then please have the courtesy to formulate your thoughts into a clear manner before posting them, so that the rest of your fellow forum members don't have to attempt to untangle your stream of consciousness. Furthermore, please don't get defensive when your post is criticized for its lack of clarity.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Widget
    Except that you and I read the same post, and yet, I find it to be understandable and consistent. It seems that you are taking the time to write about a post that you won't give the time to read carefully.

When did he say the articulation in MOTUC wasn't enough? It reads that he enjoys the articulation of Classics, but prefers the detailing and paint of the 200x.
    Last edited by toyhandle; March 29, 2020 at 06:54pm.

Except that you and I read the same post, and yet, I find it to be understandable and consistent. It seems that you are taking the time to write about a post that you won't give the time to read carefully.

When did he say the articulation in MOTUC wasn't enough? It reads that he enjoys the articulation of Classics, but prefers the detailing and paint of the 200x.
    If you got that out of his post, then congrats, but I'm finished critically analyzing it. Welcome to the forums!
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Widget
    Thanks! I got it from here:

I want some 6" MYP articulated figures. I also want more Club Grayskull. The MYP designs were amazing and since then we have been steadily moving backwards.

I felt like we took a big step back with Classics as far as detailing and paint apps and now we are moving further backwards.

Bring me some MYP designs on the Classics buck and Club Grayskull back and I am in for more MOTU.

The 200x MYP characters have hardly no articulation and many only came as statues. I want these as highly articulated figures.

Thanks! I got it from here:
    Uh, congratulations... again? Kudos for arriving at a completely different conclusion than I did... again?

Widget
    It was only possible to arrive at your conclusion by not reading the post in the first place. And thanks again!

It was only possible to arrive at your conclusion by not reading the post in the first place. And thanks again!
    your-passive-aggressive-c470a4.jpg

If you'll scroll above, I analyzed the post point by point (which requires a critical read.) But keep going, eventually you'll arrive at whatever point you're trying to make.

Widget
    You made the post out to be something it wasn't. You did try to put words in his mouth. It's ok to be wrong, but you seem determined to stand behind your pointless posts. There's a reason you can't show examples of him saying the things you claim he did. That's all.

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    Welcome to the .ORG! I came out of hiding to see what the fuss was about. The "Ignore" function is great way to deal with forum members that post too much or are overly-antagonistic. I have had to use it on a few particularly obnoxious members lately. You can basically erase people from your universe and enjoy constructive conversations. I've been a member since 2008, and honestly most annoying members end up getting ignored by everyone and leaving on their own, once they realize nobody is reading or responding to their posts anymore.
    Rambo was a documentary filmed in real time.

Widget
    Now that is a handy tip. I appreciate the suggestion, thank you.

My wife uses the "Ignore" function.....( on me )
    Odd Man Out

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    My wife uses the "Ignore" function.....( on me )
    Let me know your secret? I would pay a king's ransom to fly under that radar.

**Meaning MY wife. I don't know your wife nor am I implying that I know your wife** I had to clarify. Y'know, cuz the internet.
    Last edited by melmoth666; March 31, 2020 at 04:20pm. Reason: clarification
    Rambo was a documentary filmed in real time.

Quote Originally Posted by melmoth666 View Post
    Let me know your secret? I would pay a king's ransom to fly under that radar.

**Meaning MY wife. I don't know your wife nor am I implying that I know your wife** I had to clarify. Y'know, cuz the internet.
    LMAO!! Oh, by the way...I'm completely offended and I reported you to an admin. ( I kid, I kid... )

Just me trying to add a little levity to everything.
    Odd Man Out

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by melmoth666 View Post
    Welcome to the .ORG! I came out of hiding to see what the fuss was about. The "Ignore" function is great way to deal with forum members that post too much or are overly-antagonistic. I have had to use it on a few particularly obnoxious members lately. You can basically erase people from your universe and enjoy constructive conversations. I've been a member since 2008, and honestly most annoying members end up getting ignored by everyone and leaving on their own, once they realize nobody is reading or responding to their posts anymore.
    I wonder if I'm one of those people. Have I been obnoxious? Idk, I don't want to be obnoxious.

Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    I wonder if I'm one of those people. Have I been obnoxious? Idk, I don't want to be obnoxious.
    Pretty sure that post was a passive-agressive swipe at me, Booper, so no worries there.

Ignore lists are great features for forums in general, though I question why someone would go through the trouble of adding "several members" to a blacklist rather than live in the real world and accept that others have differing opinions, or moving to a forum where their particular views are parroted to their satisfaction. Seems rather counterintuitive to me, as I've never needed an internet "safe space".

Also curious as to what constitutes "posting too much." If someone is not adding anything to the discussion, but posting in every thread, I would assume the moderators would step in before that got out of hand.

Apologies if I misread your post, Melmoth.

Heroic Warrior
    I want some 6" MYP articulated figures. I also want more Club Grayskull. The MYP designs were amazing and since then we have been steadily moving backwards. We only got mini statues of some many characters back then. I look at the awesome Turtles by Neca and the new GI Joe coming out and that is where my money is going. The GI Joes have nice detailing and paint apps.

I felt like we took a big step back with Classics as far as detailing and paint apps and now we are moving further backwards. For the same price I am jumping in on GI Joe and continuing the Turtles.

Bring me some MYP designs on the Classics buck and Club Grayskull back and I am in for more MOTU. Until then its a solid no. Especially now with money being tighter. I just can't justify something I already almost have.

The 200x MYP characters have hardly no articulation and many only came as statues. I want these as highly articulated figures.

I don't like origins long arms, short legs, and blandness of the figure overall.
    I like Origins but I've been saying a collector MYP line on Classics bucks is how I'd target older collectors.

The tooling for 200x is mostly done but you had to mix and match figures before to approximate it.

Classics has run through MOST of the popular characters aside from Filmation Ram Man.

I'd suggest Mattel do 200x Classics as two packs targeted at the nostalgia section in electronics at Target and Walmart.

Origins conjures up 80s toy nostalgia and has kid appeal. What's missing as a demo is older people who "outgrew" the 80s aesthetics (YOU MONSTERS ;-D) or people too young for 80s nostalgia and too old for Origins.

My one real caveat here is that I think you'd need -- to target non-Classics fans -- to tool in double knees and elbows, ab crunch, and maybe ball socket hands while stepping up deco quality. Really skew more McFarlane (which 200x DID in its time; McFarlane has evolved and these would need to as well). Matte plastic. Detailed apps. Steer towards Fortnite and McDC while using the base Classics sculpts.

Start with the core stuff. Maybe He-Man vs Beast Man, Teela vs Trapjaw, Man at Arms vs Evil-Lyn, Sorceress vs Skeletor. The asymmetry keeps people from cherry picking. And as you go deeper, all those 200x He-Man and Skeletor variants can be paired with other characters.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrala View Post
    I like Origins but I've been saying a collector MYP line on Classics bucks is how I'd target older collectors.

The tooling for 200x is mostly done but you had to mix and match figures before to approximate it.

Classics has run through MOST of the popular characters aside from Filmation Ram Man.

I'd suggest Mattel do 200x Classics as two packs targeted at the nostalgia section in electronics at Target and Walmart.

Origins conjures up 80s toy nostalgia and has kid appeal. What's missing as a demo is older people who "outgrew" the 80s aesthetics (YOU MONSTERS ;-D) or people too young for 80s nostalgia and too old for Origins.

My one real caveat here is that I think you'd need -- to target non-Classics fans -- to tool in double knees and elbows, ab crunch, and maybe ball socket hands while stepping up deco quality. Really skew more McFarlane (which 200x DID in its time; McFarlane has evolved and these would need to as well). Matte plastic. Detailed apps. Steer towards Fortnite and McDC while using the base Classics sculpts.

Start with the core stuff. Maybe He-Man vs Beast Man, Teela vs Trapjaw, Man at Arms vs Evil-Lyn, Sorceress vs Skeletor. The asymmetry keeps people from cherry picking. And as you go deeper, all those 200x He-Man and Skeletor variants can be paired with other characters.
    The problem with this is that there aren't many people in the 16-30 age who know 200X. The show and toys did really poorly, and that interpretation of MOTU is more or less forgotten outside of the core fanbase. It's far safer to go vintage style/new cartoon style because vintage He-Man is a pop culture icon, and the new stuff is well, new. Most of my friends are 16-25 (I'm 17), and if anyone remembers the 200X toys, it's as gifts from weird uncles or things bought at garage sales.

Also, the designs don't fit with modern aesthetics. That hyper anime detail thing died out in the mid 2000's, most collectors these days either want realism or something super stylized. MOTU doesn't work as a realistic property (like, MOTU in a realistic style would be classified as body horror, looking at you Trap Jaw and Man-E-Faces), so the obvious thing to do is make the figures in an iconic, yet stylized form factor.

Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    The problem with this is that there aren't many people in the 16-30 age who know 200X. The show and toys did really poorly, and that interpretation of MOTU is more or less forgotten outside of the core fanbase. It's far safer to go vintage style/new cartoon style because vintage He-Man is a pop culture icon, and the new stuff is well, new. Most of my friends are 16-25 (I'm 17), and if anyone remembers the 200X toys, it's as gifts from weird uncles or things bought at garage sales.

Also, the designs don't fit with modern aesthetics. That hyper anime detail thing died out in the mid 2000's, most collectors these days either want realism or something super stylized. MOTU doesn't work as a realistic property (like, MOTU in a realistic style would be classified as body horror, looking at you Trap Jaw and Man-E-Faces), so the obvious thing to do is make the figures in an iconic, yet stylized form factor.
    I agree, Mattel clearly looked at the vintage style for inspiration to create Origins. The 200x style was trendy for a couple of years before it quickly became dated (hunchbacks, strange body proportions, blocky anatomy, ridiculously silly accessory sizes, etc). That being said, it would be nice if MOTU could regain a level of mainstream success that would allow multiple figure lines in different styles to run simultaneously to make every kind of fan happy.

I don't see how a new 200X line could be done without each figure costing at least 50 bucks a piece. There would be unique tooling on practically every single figure. Some collectors are fine with paying that much for a 6" figure, but there's no way that would fly at retail. And if Mattel sold them directly to consumers on line, they'd probably produce less, and therefore have to sell them for about 80+ bucks. Not many people would want to start a new line at that price.

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket....I'm just basing that on years of collecting and watching the market.

All that said, I would love a line of decently articulated, non-posed, non-hunch backed 200X figures, if they were only 15-20 bucks a piece. I just don't see how that's possible.
    Odd Man Out

The vintage or now the origins style is the ultimate MOTU style .
    while l loved the 200x or classics styles ,I always felt they were borrowed styles . It's great to see the brand in other desings but the vintage look is the own style of MOTU .

It is important to have a own styles , not all brands have one ,Barbie ,GiJoe ,Lego,Funko are a few examples.

I think the vintage style is so iconic and famous that Mattel should take aventage of it producing figures based on celebrites or characters from other brands in the vintage/Origins style following the way of Masters of WWE
    It could be the next Funko
    Last edited by heavy-eternium; April 8, 2020 at 05:10pm.

Widget
    I think anybody who doesn't like these is on crack, because Origins looks awesome. Feel free to not buy them, more for the rest of us.